Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger

lmbo calrissian posted:

Im in and totally voting kafka on the shore. sounds like i a good first book club book :)

i definitely disagree with that...

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Maybe we need to have two competing book clubs, or book gangs. One Gang will be called the Kids Klub and we will read children's books and be happy, and the other gang can be called The Professors and they can guilt-buy the the adult books and never finish them.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

treasure bear

when ever i feel like an rear end in a top hat i just rub a copy of atlas shrugged against myself and i stop caring

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
Ok posting pals and posting gals --------> http://www.strawpoll.me/11057175

Vote!

FreshCutFries

dune is definitely too long for a genuine book club, but please don't unironically pick a children's book...

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
what about “the goldfinch” by Donna tartt

heard some good things about it

FluffieDuckie

super mario batali posted:

Ok posting pals and posting gals --------> http://www.strawpoll.me/11057175

Vote!

very clever putting 1 book on there twice but you're just going to split the vote so joke's on you

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

deep dish peat moss

I suggested Kafka on the Shore as a joke but if we're going to bookclub it I'll participate because that book hit me right here when I read it *points and cartoon dotted line is drawn between my finger and my heart*

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Shakill OReal posted:

I suggested Kafka on the Shore as a joke but if we're going to bookclub it I'll participate because that book hit me right here when I read it *points and cartoon dotted line is drawn between my finger and my heart*

felt the same way about The Wind Up Bird Chronicle

I know Murakami can be a bit polarizing, but I really like his brand of Cutty Sark magical realism

FluffieDuckie

misty mountaintop posted:

Maybe we need to have two competing book clubs, or book gangs. One Gang will be called the Kids Klub and we will read children's books and be happy, and the other gang can be called The Professors and they can guilt-buy the the adult books and never finish them.

to no one's surprise, i'll be joining children's book gang

Piso Mojado

treasure bear posted:

when ever i feel like an rear end in a top hat i just rub a copy of atlas shrugged against myself and i stop caring

that's the way she would have wanted it.

Piso Mojado

personally, i think the bell jar is too cliche for byob to read.

FluffieDuckie

am i the only one who thinks low page count is a super important factor?

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
re: low page count, I'd like to throw out What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver

it's a collection of short stories so it's not a cohesive whole but Carver is probably the best short story writer I've ever read

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i like ones with pictures

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
i only said the bell jar because we all have sad brains, i really don't recommend it and i'm surprised i was taken seriously

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
deep dish peat moss

HighwireAct posted:

re: low page count, I'd like to throw out What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver

it's a collection of short stories so it's not a cohesive whole but Carver is probably the best short story writer I've ever read

In defense of Kafka on the Shore, Murakami wrote an essay called What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

Piso Mojado

mister magpie posted:

i only said the bell jar because we all have sad brains, i really don't recommend it and i'm surprised i was taken seriously

I know bb

Piso Mojado

I figure if we procrastinate and just keep suggesting books, I won't actually have to read a book and I can play a video game instead.

Piso Mojado

let's just scrap the whole book thing and all play/review Stardew Valley.

City of Glompton

let's combine videogame and books, by reviewing books found in elder scrolls games.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Piso Mojado

City of Glompton posted:

let's combine videogame and books, by reviewing books found in elder scrolls games.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Shakill OReal posted:

In defense of Kafka on the Shore, Murakami wrote an essay called What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

That's a book-length essay though (really good, I liked it, only Murakami thing I've ever read that I liked).

----------------

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom

FluffieDuckie posted:

very clever putting 1 book on there twice but you're just going to split the vote so joke's on you

I swear that was a mistake :cripes:

Orkin Mang

by FactsAreUseless
dr piss, by heminwhey

----------------

alnilam

City of Glompton posted:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
This is the book. This one here. That we should all read.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

treasure bear

im forming my own break-away renegade book gang the Libersnakes

you'll know we've been when you see our mark on the borrowing card

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Grover kills Dunbledore

the unabonger
BYOB book choosing club

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
scrappy kills scooby with a crossbow on the toilet

FluffieDuckie

i flunked out posted:

BYOB book choosing club

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

City of Glompton posted:

lol

----------------

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
looks like kafka is winnign

Piso Mojado

i flunked out posted:

BYOB book choosing club

Scaly Haylie

City of Glompton posted:

I insist that everyone take a few minutes to read Remanada.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Lizard Wizard posted:

I insist that everyone take a few minutes to read Remanada.

what do they mean by "slug famine"?

alnilam

Luvcow posted:

Not enough food for the slugs to eat... millions of slugs died, the poor little veggie-stealing fuckers fellas :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

Luvcow posted:

it was, apparently, a magical plague created by the sloads, a race of giant slugs.

• Locked thread