Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
hahaha

grown people buy and fill in coloring books just like 2 year olds.

is this the stuff millennials like to do? or did babyboomers do this as well?

i have many questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
here is one person who enjoy their coloring book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-V00Ow7hTk

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016
It takes a lot of manual dexterity to color. I lack such things!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This poo poo must be laser-targeted at certain groups, and no one else. I only heard about these adult coloring books about a year ago, and thinking it the dumbest poo poo ever, I go an Amazon to see what 3rd rate publishing house is putting these out. Oh wait, there are tens of thousands of adult coloring books for sale.

Where did this poo poo come from? When did it come from? How? Why?!

EDIT: Jesus, she's using Prismacolors. So not only has she spent hundred on books, she's also spent hundreds on the pencils as well.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 17, 2016

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This poo poo must be laser-targeted at certain groups, and no one else. I only heard about these adult coloring books about a year ago, and thinking it the dumbest poo poo ever, I go an Amazon to see what 3rd rate publishing house is putting these out. Oh wait, there are tens of thousands of adult coloring books for sale.

Where did this poo poo come from? When did it come from? How? Why?!

i want to blame someone for this

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

Tigern posted:

i want to blame someone for this

I thought you liked coloring books!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Apparently adult colouring books are the only growth market in publishing and are responsible for keeping a whole bunch of book stores solvent. That's loving depressing.

But on the other hand it's not like the people doing all that colouring in would have been finding the cure for cancer or writing symphonies otherwise. They would have just been wasting their time on some other pointless endeavour so nothing of value has been lost.

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently adult colouring books are the only growth market in publishing and are responsible for keeping a whole bunch of book stores solvent. That's loving depressing.

But on the other hand it's not like the people doing all that colouring in would have been finding the cure for cancer or writing symphonies otherwise. They would have just been wasting their time on some other pointless endeavour so nothing of value has been lost.

I think you are more right than wrong and but I do mostly agree with the points I didn't agree with.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

Kang Wang posted:

I thought you liked coloring books!

no thats wrong.

how did it get to this?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That was all my girlfriend's sister wanted for Christmas. She spends her days holding down the couch and coloring while keeping up with the Kardashians and bitching about being poor to Tumblr.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The subject came up in the LootCrate thread and it turned out there's several adult colouring book subscription services. Because of course there is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tigern posted:

how did it get to this?

I'm pretty sure the internet is mostly to blame but ebooks and audio books also helped kill off print. Why bother reading a book when you can watch Netflix or have Patrick Stewart read the book for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3v_ogRaTf4

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

If they had been "adult" in the same way as adult movies it would have been kinda cool, but afaik it's just pics of flowers and poo poo

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can only colour those ones with the felt to stop you going outside the lines.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

I'm pretty sure the internet is mostly to blame but ebooks and audio books also helped kill off print. Why bother reading a book when you can watch Netflix or have Patrick Stewart read the book for you?

Never yet got the hang of audiobooks, but I did make the switch to buying primarily ebooks a few years ago -- the main argument for that was simply lack of storage space. Can't keep buying so many physical books or will need a bigger house.

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

Groke posted:

Never yet got the hang of audiobooks, but I did make the switch to buying primarily ebooks a few years ago -- the main argument for that was simply lack of storage space. Can't keep buying so many physical books or will need a bigger house.

Open a library!

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
They're meant to be all relaxing and poo poo. Lots of the books claim to offer "mindfulness".

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Coloring books are to canvas/drawing paper what "graphic novels" are to actual novels.

Hoplosternum posted:

They're meant to be all relaxing and poo poo. Lots of the books claim to offer "mindfulness".

If you want to be mindful just do what everyone else does: smoke weed.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hoplosternum posted:

Lots of the books claim to offer "mindfulness".

That's not an actual thing.

I mean, not for people who aren't insufferable trash.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I dunno you guys I don't see how an adult coloring book is any different from a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle or a model or something.

I don't do adult coloring books but I see the appeal.
It's relaxing to turn something incomplete into something finished and it's one of the few endeavors accessible to the average person where the process is as rewarding than the outcome.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I worked with a girl who bought a 'paint by number' book and would come in and tell everyone how she worked on it for 2 hours blah blah

get the gently caress out you're 26 years old learn to drink alcohol and watch Vanderpump Rules with your stupid girlfriends or something else normal

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Adults these days like kid's cartoons, superhero movies, coloring books, Harry Potter, etc. It's an infantilized culture. And they try to justify all of it with a single C.S Lewis quote.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's not an actual thing.

I mean, not for people who aren't insufferable trash.

Mindfulness meditation, albeit by a different name, has been around for thousands of years.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Dennis System posted:

Adults these days like kid's cartoons, superhero movies, coloring books, Harry Potter, etc. It's an infantilized culture. And they try to justify all of it with a single C.S Lewis quote.

I know it well:
"Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure that no man is too poor to buy."

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I dunno you guys I don't see how an adult coloring book is any different from a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle or a model or something.

i don't think we can help you anymore friend

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tigern posted:

i don't think we can help you anymore friend

I mean I'm just saying jigsaw puzzles are for children, too but i remember a decade or so ago they had a huge comeback with adults and it was basically the exact same thing.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Applewhite posted:

I know it well:
"Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure that no man is too poor to buy."

That's a surprisingly baller quote from a poor man's Philip Pullman like C.S. Lewis.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I mean I'm just saying jigsaw puzzles are for children, too but i remember a decade or so ago they had a huge comeback with adults and it was basically the exact same thing.

business idea: puzzle coloring.

input?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tigern posted:

business idea: puzzle coloring.

input?

I'm stealing it.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Being an adult sucks and our generation has unabashedly commercialized this to the highest degree yet.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i just assumed they were for retards

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I'm stealing it.

:(

vols bitch posted:

i just assumed they were for retards

i think they are

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This poo poo must be laser-targeted at certain groups, and no one else.

Bored housewives and 20-somethings who still live with their parents.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Wicker Man posted:

Being an adult sucks and our generation has unabashedly commercialized this to the highest degree yet.

The bad aspects of adulthood, adult responsibilities and loss of children's capacity to marvel at new experiences, is not something that can be fixed with a shiny new toy.

Theoretically, you can start living like a 5-year old, but the negative effects of a lifetime of experiences (unless you were raised as a feral child until adolescence), jadedness etc, are part of what defines an adult's psyche.

You won't enjoy the toy the same way you would have as a young child, because it doesn't challenge you or show you something you haven't seen before.

In that regard, nostalgia can only go so far.

What I'm saying is adults that enjoy these sort of things are developmentally challenged by definition.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Why not learn to draw or paint your own original work, no one wants to put effort into anything anymore.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
they should look into more productive pursuits, like posting

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

The Dennis System posted:

The only time I ever hear people talk smack about other people liking things "for children" is in gbs and when actual children are making fun of other actual children. Makes u think. One of the benefits of having kids I've heard over and over is that it helps you recapture some of that childlike magic for yourself. (Presumably you latch your mouth over your child's and suck out some of theirs).

Besides all adults like kid things. Who doesn't like ice cream? Is there anyone who hates summer vacation or playtime? What is wrong with enjoying things rather than stressing out and being miserable all the time (totally an adult thing), or refusing to enjoy things you could because you are a shallow jackass that doesnt want anyone thinking your 35 year old rear end is childlike in the least?

Remins me of this guy I chilled out with for a few minutes outside. He offered me a piece of pie and I offered him a smoke. When I noticed he was having issues getting his smoke lit cuz his hands were full, I offered to light it and he said, "uh haha no only GIRLS get their smokes lit." Said a lot more about him than anyone else imo.

Here's a quotation for your dumb rear end.

"How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Here's another one.

"You're a monster, Mr. Grinch.
Your heart's an empty hole.
Your brain is full of spiders.
You've got garlic in your soul, Mr Grinch.
I wouldn't touch you with a
Thirty-nine and a half foot pooooole"

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Nathilus posted:

The only time I ever hear people talk smack about other people liking things "for children" is in gbs and when actual children are making fun of other actual children. Makes u think. One of the benefits of having kids I've heard over and over is that it helps you recapture some of that childlike magic for yourself. (Presumably you latch your mouth over your child's and suck out some of theirs).

Besides all adults like kid things. Who doesn't like ice cream? Is there anyone who hates summer vacation or playtime? What is wrong with enjoying things rather than stressing out and being miserable all the time (totally an adult thing), or refusing to enjoy things you could because you are a shallow jackass that doesnt want anyone thinking your 35 year old rear end is childlike in the least?

Remins me of this guy I chilled out with for a few minutes outside. He offered me a piece of pie and I offered him a smoke. When I noticed he was having issues getting his smoke lit cuz his hands were full, I offered to light it and he said, "uh haha no only GIRLS get their smokes lit." Said a lot more about him than anyone else imo.

Here's a quotation for your dumb rear end.

"How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Here's another one.

"You're a monster, Mr. Grinch.
Your heart's an empty hole.
Your brain is full of spiders.
You've got garlic in your soul, Mr Grinch.
I wouldn't touch you with a
Thirty-nine and a half foot pooooole"

how many coloring books do you own?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Pannus posted:

If they had been "adult" in the same way as adult movies it would have been kinda cool, but afaik it's just pics of flowers and poo poo
in 8th grade a kid brought in just such a thing. the genitals are missing and you draw those in to your liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Applewhite posted:

It's relaxing to turn something incomplete into something finished and it's one of the few endeavors accessible to the average person where the process is as rewarding than the outcome.

Looks like somebody has never heard of a little thing called masturbation.

• Locked thread