Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Hi all,

So after the upgrade, my PC specs are as follows:

* i5 3570K CPU
* Nvidia GTX 1070 video card (Upgraded from GTX 660Ti)
* Asus 24" 144hz Monitor
* 16gb DDR 133mhz RAM
* 750w Silverstone PSU

So after installing the new graphics card and hooking up the new monitor (now running dual monitors for the first time), I ran into some problems with game performance. Namely, when I upgraded, the graphics settings in Overwatch defaulted to Ultra, rather than Low which is what I had it set on. So I rolled with it, and was struggling to get over 70fps (which kinda defeats the purpose of a 144hz monitor). To be honest I found this pretty odd, as Overwatch isn't exactly an incredible game graphically speaking, yet this was a pretty massive upgrade to my GPU so I kinda assumed that it should be able to handle it.

After reading some guides to increasing FPS in Overwatch (which I hoped I should be able to avoid after spending $750AUD on a new GPU), I managed to get it looking nicer than it used to with my old card but getting a fairly constant 144FPS.

Shortly after, I installed Elder Scrolls Online and began playing that, and found that it had atrocious performance on the default settings as well. I managed to find some huge guide to increasing performance in ESO which meant tweaking a bunch of settings in the config file, and also doing something that I hadn't heard of before called CPU Core Unparking (or something along those lines). Essentially, the guide that I read said that by default, the cores in your CPU are 'parked' and therefore not being used to their full potential. After downloading the 'tool' that you use to unpark the cores and running that, and reading literally everybody saying that this provided such a monstrous performance boost, I was pretty excited to see the new performance increase.

To its credit, after performing all the ESO tweaks, my FPS shot up, however I noticed a new weird problem that I hadn't encountered before:

When I alt-tabbed from a game (say, if I was waiting for the start of an Overwatch match, I alt-tab to check Facebook etc.), when I come back in-game I get this weird, severe stuttering/lag. The FPS monitor doesn't seem to waver that much and holds around 130-140fps, however if I didn't have the in-game FPS monitor active I would swear that I was getting around 20fps or so. It's really bad, but goes away after a few seconds. I also notice this in-game even when not alt-tabbing, but if I have a web page open in the background or on my (new) second monitor. I also noticed this same stutter when my desktop background would cycle to a new background image (I have about 20 images saved and have them set to a 30 minute shuffle). I had to turn the background shuffle off as it would constantly happen mid-game and gently caress everything up.

Figuring it might have something to do with the core unparking (which to me would be strange, because literally every forum post that I read from people who have done this said that it was an amazing performance boost in games), I re-parked my cores using the same tool however the problem remained.

So, yeah, I can't tell what's wrong. Basically, I think I should be seeing much better performance than I am overall (a GTX 1070 shouldn't struggle and require tweaking in a game like Overwatch), but also this new problem of stuttering when there's stuff happening in the background is really, really annoying.

I've noticed that my CPU usage is very high - like 100% when a game is running. I'm assuming that might have something to do with it, however again I've read a lot of people basically saying that it's a good thing when your CPU is max'd out as long as the temperature isn't getting too high, which it isn't (staying sub-70 degrees at all times). Is this an issue with the card? With my CPU? With the second monitor that I have running now? Either way, my assumption is that my system should be able to handle running a game on medium-high settings, with a webpage opened in the background. Currently I'm not able to do that without suffering severe performance issues.

So I'm wondering what the issue is here? I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed, and can't seem to find anyone experiencing the same problems that I am with this card. Like I said, these issues never happened with my GTX 660Ti. Could

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: It's worth noting that the new problem that I have relating to alt-tabbing/background activity didn't necessarily begin after I unparked my cores. I did all of this pretty quickly, so its hard to tell whether that issue was there prior to installing ESO and going through the tweaks/core unparking or not.

Cathab fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Is your CPU overclocked? If not then the low clock speed will be bottlenecking you in games and you should overclock it. Also, what monitor did you get?

• Locked thread