Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
In a likely futile attempt to quarantine this awful discussion from the Europol thread lets talk about the Burqa, Niqab and, if you're a real glutton for punishment, the Hijab and the efficacy of the laws of countries like France that have tried to ban their public use.

Quick recap from a lousy newspaper if you need a reminder on its status around the world:

quote:

Burka bans: The countries where Muslim women can't wear veils.

For the first time in Switzerland's history, the country has enforced a ban on the full-face veil - which means women wearing a burka (full body covering with mesh over the eyes) or niqab (full body covering with a slit for the eyes) could face fines of almost 10,000 euros.

But it is not the only country to introduce such a controversial law. Here's where Muslim women stand on wearing the veil across the world...

France

France was the first European country to ban the burqa in public. It started in 2004, with a clampdown on students in state-run schools displaying any form of religious symbol. But in April 2011, the government went further by bringing in a total public ban on full-face veils. President Nicolas Sarkozy saying they were “not welcome” in France.

Women can be subjected to 150 euro fines and instructions in citizenship for breaking the ban. Anyone who forces a woman to cover her face risks a 30,000 euro fine.

Belgium

Belgium followed closely in France’s footsteps by introducing its own ban on full-face veils in 2011. It outlaws any clothing that obscures people’s faces in public places.

A woman caught wearing a veil can be jailed for up to seven days or forced to pay a 1378 euro fine. The government passed the law almost unanimously.

The Netherlands

Last year the Netherlands approved a partial ban on the full veil, meaning women cannot have their faces covered in schools, hospital and on public transport.

It doesn't completely outlaw the veil in public, but forbids it in "specific situations where it is essential for people to be seen" or for security reasons.

Italy

Italy does not have a national ban on the full-face veil, but in 2010, the town of Novara imposed restrictions – though there is currently no established fines system. In some parts of Italy, local authorities have banned ‘burkinis’ or full Islamic swimming costumes.

Spain

Several parts of Catalonia in Spain have laws against burkas and niqabs. In 2013, Spain’s Supreme Court overturned the ban in some parts, ruling that it “limits religious freedom”. But other areas have carried on - thanks to a 2014 ECHR (European Court of Human Rights) ruling that banning the veil does not breach human rights.

Chad

Women have been banned from wearing a full veil in Chad since two suicide bomb attacks in June 2015. The government banned it two days later. The prime minister Kalzeube Pahimi Deubet called it 'camouflage' and said all burqas seen on sale would be burnt. People could be arrested and sentenced to jail time for wearing them.

Cameroon

Cameroon followed suit a month after Chad by banning burkas following suicide bombings by people wearing veils. The ban is now active in five of the country’s provinces.

Niger

The veil is banned in Diffa, a region that has been hit by Boko Haram, and the president suggested the hijab – or headscarf – could also be banned.

Congo-Brazzaville

The veil has been banned here since 2015 in public places to “prevent any attack of terrorism.”

Turkey

Turkey has a predominantly Muslim population, but until 2013, there were rules banning women from wearing headscarves in the country’s state institutions. Women can now wear the veil everywhere bar in the judiciary, military and police.

Switzerland

The the latest country to pass a ban on the full-face veil, though it only stands in the region of Tessin. The law came into force on July 1, 2016 and anyone caught wearing a veil can be fined up to 9,200 euros.

Its probably worth noting that this shows its a bit of an issue even in countries that are mostly Muslim. Egypt and Tunisia have also had controversies surrounding the issue.

So what is it goons? Is there any way to justify the government coming in and telling people what they can and cannot wear, especially when doing so mostly just victimizes downtrodden religious minorities, creates intractable conflict over the minuscule amounts of people who actually wear these garments and makes it more difficult for said minorities to integrate into society? Alternatively does the Burka warrant much of a defense in and of itself and will allowing its use just make it easy for regressive patriarchal customs to be enforced on a segment of the population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Why are you forgetting the Burkini, which is the hot topic issue right now and is a much wider form of swim wear for Muslims who wear the hijab? That's a much bigger target and wider form of discrimination than the Niqab is.

Also, in a free and democratic society with civil rights, people should be free to wear what they want or choose to wear. Full stop.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Feel free to talk about it.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, in a free and democratic society with civil rights, people should be free to wear what they want or choose to wear. Full stop.

How do you feel about hate speech law?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
A woman wearing an outfit she wants is not comparable to hate speech.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
As Europe freaks out about a tiny percentage of brown people I find myself believing more and more that the United States actually IS the greatest country on Earth. :shrug:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Please don't turn this into yet another retarded USA verses Europe thread since that is always the stupidest thing in the Universe.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the passage in the Quran that is used to justify thwe things is that a "modest woman covers" her "adornments" which might have had a different meaning at the time of writting.

I might be wrong though

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Al-Saqr posted:

This is a good baseline I think. Banning the burqa simply isn't the path to take; even if your end goal was to squash Islam once and for all or something like that, it's not going to be achieved by bans. Religious sectarianism isn't going to be fixed by new laws. And saying one can't wear religious symbols in certain public spaces is anathema to free expression.

I do think, though, that there's no reason we can't have an exception for garments that cover the face. It seems like a legitimate public safety concern, and as long as it applies with equal felicity to all citizens, I don't see the problem. I mean, if this were the KKK we were talking about, no one would be defending their right to wear the hoods simply because they claim religious exemption to face covering laws (if indeed they would claim this, I have no idea if they would). I think a big reason there's controversy is because, even if the creation of the law were 100% sincerely motivated by a concern for public safety (which is certainly debatable), a Western, secular government decreeing the allowability of religious garments of a (big generalization) largely non-Western culture will be seen as imperialistic no matter what. Don't really have an answer here. It's just by definition going to be a contentious issue.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I could understand if they were banned as part of a blanket law against covering the face. But it doesn't look like that's the case.

It's not so much women wearing it of their own volition that is a problem. The problem is places where it is required or they face punishment. And there it's a symptom, not the originator of the problem.

There I solved it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khwarezm posted:

I don't think this applies to Burqas/Hijabs/Niqabs in any way, but there is definitely some clothing that maybe shouldn't be allowed. For exactly, banning clothing with bigoted/threatening language on it might be a good thing.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

Can I wear a burquini with a problematic facebook post printed on it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ban all habits!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I do find it amusing France is slowly introducing a form of re-education classes. How long until camp starts?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

7c Nickel posted:

As Europe freaks out about a tiny percentage of brown people I find myself believing more and more that the United States actually IS the greatest country on Earth. :shrug:

America is probably one of the least racist nations on earth

let that sink in

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

khwarezm posted:

Please don't turn this into yet another retarded USA verses Europe thread since that is always the stupidest thing in the Universe.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I work with Muslim immigrants every day and the hijab and burqa issues are complicated. The problem is that at both extremes people are trying to politicize a woman's body. The conservative muslim sect and liberal secularist population both see a woman's appearance as a political battleground and are trying to insert themselves into it. Honestly, I do not think the issue is really one of religious liberty or religious persecution at all as much as its part of an ongoing desire to legislate the female body.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I work with Muslim immigrants every day and the hijab and burqa issues are complicated. The problem is that at both extremes people are trying to politicize a woman's body. The conservative muslim sect and liberal secularist population both see a woman's appearance as a political battleground and are trying to insert themselves into it. Honestly, I do not think the issue is really one of religious liberty or religious persecution at all as much as its part of an ongoing desire to legislate the female body.

:agreed:

Liberal westerners' prescription that all female bodies should be displayed for their delectation is but another manifestation of the patriarchy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TomViolence posted:

:agreed:

Liberal westerners' prescription that all female bodies should be displayed for their delectation is but another manifestation of the patriarchy.

There is also a very real white savior complex where western liberals think they can somehow usher in the liberalization of Islam through external mandate

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is also a very real white savior complex where western liberals think they can somehow usher in the liberalization of Islam through external mandate

I really recommend you read a book by Joseph Massad titled 'Islam in Liberalism' which goes into GREAT detail about this very topic:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Islam-Liberalism-Joseph-Massad/dp/022620622X

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If you outlaw burqas then only outlaws will have burqas.

The only way to stop a bad woman with a burqa is a good woman with a burqa.

Burqas don't kill people, people do.

Ok, more seriously, what is the argument for banning head coverings besides "brown people do it, ergo bad"?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

I really recommend you read a book by Joseph Massad titled 'Islam in Liberalism' which goes into GREAT detail about this very topic:-

Thanks, I will check it out.

I deal with this issue every day and its something I struggle with. When I first started working with Muslim immigrants I definitely had a savior complex of "I am gonna show these Muslim women the value of Western liberalism!" but over time I realized Western liberals objectify Islamic women as much as we accuse Islamic men of doing. Currently, my position is that I think Islamic culture has toxic ideas about women, but Islamic women are also capable to fighting this battle themselves. Our role as western participants is to offer support when asked for and act as good stewards of our own ideas rather than attempting to enforce them through mandate.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Legislating what women wear in service of feminism and liberal tolerance is loving dumb and counterproductive no matter how you slice it. Especially in France where it seems like such exercises are couched in crowdpleasing racism rather than any kind of social good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Ok, more seriously, what is the argument for banning head coverings besides "brown people do it, ergo bad"?

From their perspective it is about creating an environment as hospitable to secular ideas of women's rights as possible. The theory is that by banning hijab and burqa you are creating an environment in which women are not under social pressure from the men in their culture to cover themselves because it is, in fact, a legal impossibility. Therefore, by making it legally impermissible to cover themselves, they will force immigrant cultures to adapt to their cultural mandate on femininity. Basically they think they can drag conservative Muslim views on female sexuality into the 21st century kicking and screaming.

In reality though they are simply fetishizing the female body as well and mandating male gaze onto Muslim women just as much as anyone else.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Al-Saqr posted:

I can't really trust Joseph Massad's take on this issue given his homophobia apologia. He's literally not even willing to defend gay rights groups being murdered in the middle east because they're promoting evil western imperialism. Here's a critique of his nutty views coming from a source that is not anti-Islam.

http://ibishblog.com/2010/02/04/joseph_massad_homophobia_gay_rights_and_categories_modernity/

I've seen you namedrop all sorts of these supposed moderate Muslim sources and every single time it's taken like 2 minutes to google their horribly regressive views, in this case I was already aware beforehand. I know there are actual moderate Muslims you could cite which makes this even funnier.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 18, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Has anyone here read Snow by Orhan Pamuk?

It deals with subtext of Turkey banning hijab to advertise themselves as "european" rather than "Muslim" in international politics. I have had some great discussions with my Turkish students about the book.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I tend to ask the following questions when I see laws like this:

1) Why is the law being introduced in the first place?
2) Is it covering something already covered by other laws?
3) How is it enforced?
4) What is the punishment for breaking it?
5) What are the indirect consequences of the law being followed?
6) How can it be intentionally misapplied by the state/law enforcement and what are the mechanisms in place to prevent it?
7) How can it be bypassed/sabotaged/loopholed by people who want to avoid its consequences?

I'm worried about the interaction between 3 and 6, since it can (in Europe) easily become an avenue of racism.
5 poses a problem since the law is effectively targeting presumed victims of religious oppression. I guess you can pull the quarantine argument and say that it's preventing public acceptance of an oppressive measure, but that poses problems of its own.
4 also poses problems. If the penalty is prison, the law is utterly barbaric. However, if the punishment is monetary, that provides a pretty dangerous interaction with 7. What are the odds of a rich "benefactor" offering to pay off all the fines, de facto putting a lot of people in debt to a person with questionable intent after an arguably hostile action taken against them by the government? If the assumption is that this law is intended to fight fundamentalism, it's extremely naive to think that fundamentalism won't try to fight back in a way that attempts to make the law backfire.

Honestly, I think banning the Burkini and the Hijab is utter idiocy. I'm not fond of the full body covering clothing, though, and I have no idea how to ensure that women aren't being forced to wear it due to the nature of family abuse and the extreme difficulty of getting victims to admit to being victims without putting them in danger. That having been said, the idea of the law kinda reeks of a government trying to wash its hands of its own failures through a wide-reaching measure that strikes something corellated to the problem that isn't really its cause. Not to mention the inherent paradox of trying to protect womens' rights by proscribing what women are(n't) allowed to wear.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

my dad posted:

I'm not fond of the full body covering clothing, though, and I have no idea how to ensure that women aren't being forced to wear it due to the nature of family abuse and the extreme difficulty of getting victims to admit to being victims without putting them in danger.

Unfortunately, there is no external way to solve this problem. Fortunately, Muslim women are gaining the self-empowerment necessary to fight against treatment they consider unfair. The issue is that we, as westerners, have no place in inserting ourselves in a specifically Muslim cultural conflict. We do more harm to the modernization of conservative Islam by interfering than we do by simply sheparding our own values.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Let's take bans off the table and look at other ways to stop what their best intentions are meant to prevent.

Presumably, this is women who don't want to wear the burqa but face domestic violence or other forms of family or community retaliation if they sneak out with regular clothing

Do we have any estimates on how much this is the case?

Ytlaya posted:

For exactly, banning clothing with bigoted/threatening language on it might be a good thing.

Like this shirt?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Stinky_Pete posted:

Let's take bans off the table and look at other ways to stop what their best intentions are meant to prevent.

Presumably, this is women who don't want to wear the burqa but face domestic violence or other forms of family or community retaliation if they sneak out with regular clothing

Do we have any estimates on how much this is the case?

Part of the issue is that we imagine the motivation to wear burqa is entirely external. We like to think there are all these women who want to be free but their relatives keep them from it. This is a superficial understanding of cultural mandate. Part of the issue is that western culture has no method to deal with women who do not want to wear hijab or burqa but feel personal pressure to do so. We imagine the pressure is always external of the woman herself. The reality is, though, that many women pressure themselves to fit to these religious and cultural norms. Its not as easy as shutting down external forces because many Muslim women feel personal pressure to conform to their cultural expectations. Its not unique to Islam at all either. How many fundamentalist christian women internalize patriarchal mandates and hold themselves accountable to them?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

I can't really trust Joseph Massad's take on this issue given his homophobia apologia. He's literally not even willing to defend gay rights groups being murdered in the middle east because they're promoting evil western imperialism. Here's a critique of his nutty views coming from a source that is not anti-Islam.

http://ibishblog.com/2010/02/04/joseph_massad_homophobia_gay_rights_and_categories_modernity/

First off, you're wrong. and I will gladly fight you on this topic. but outside of this thread. It's really unfair to quote him on this topic without also providing his responses:-

http://www.resetdoc.org/story/00000001530

And also, there's a big difference between homophobia and critiquing the missionary tactics used by western LGBT advocacy organizations on the middle east, much like how there's a big difference between hating women and critiquing the missionary tactics used by american feminists. his book isnt a screed against gay people it's a critique of how the the narrative on homosexuality in the middle east is treated and exploited by western imperialism, first when colonialism happened that's when outright homophobia and anti-gay laws was introduced to the middle east and now the situation is reversed, the same missionary tactics that introduced homosexuality as punishable by law is now seeking to impose a specific norm and identity onto gay people in the middle east. academically studying and critiquing identity politics and tactics is not the same at all as being against gays. The writer in the very same article you linked said 'it's ridiculous to say he's putting forth a homophobic argument'.

also, that 'Nutty regressive homophobia' book earned him full tenure at Columbia university. So I'll take his word over yours any day.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 19, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Also Al-Saqr, how can you appeal to western liberalism at one turn and then appeal to cultural relativism at another?

Al-Saqr posted:

I agree you should be able to wear whatever you want, and also sleep with whoever you want without persecution as long as they're a consenting adult. Joseph Massad definitely does not agree. You seem to be selectively choosing between cultural relativism and western liberalism depending on context. I could easily make a cultural relativist argument for banning the Burqa but I won't because I'm not a cultural relativist.

EDIT: Do you have a specific response to the critique from Hussein Ibish? How can you defend the fact that he attacked gay rights activists in Istanbul and opposes gay rights groups in the middle east? Do you agree with his bizarre notion that same-sex attracted people did not face any persecution before the modern concept of sexual orientation?

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 19, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Part of the issue is that we imagine the motivation to wear burqa is entirely external. We like to think there are all these women who want to be free but their relatives keep them from it. This is a superficial understanding of cultural mandate. Part of the issue is that western culture has no method to deal with women who do not want to wear hijab or burqa but feel personal pressure to do so. We imagine the pressure is always external of the woman herself. The reality is, though, that many women pressure themselves to fit to these religious and cultural norms. Its not as easy as shutting down external forces because many Muslim women feel personal pressure to conform to their cultural expectations. Its not unique to Islam at all either. How many fundamentalist christian women internalize patriarchal mandates and hold themselves accountable to them?

I imagine this is precisely the point of the people who follow the quarantine argument, though. Women who follow this mandate indirectly contribute to other women in similar circumstances gaining a sense of guilt for not following that same mandate - removing their ability to follow it in the first place could in theory prevent that.

However, that, again, goes into "I know what's best for you, silly woman" teritorry, and has a number of other nasty implications.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

I agree you should be able to wear whatever you want, and also sleep with whoever you want without persecution as long as they're a consenting adult. Joseph Massad definitely does not agree. You seem to be selectively choosing between cultural relativism and western liberalism depending on context. I could easily make a cultural relativist argument for banning the Burqa but I won't because I'm not a cultural relativist.

I think you're being unfair. This is not a binary between relativism and liberalism. There is a very real issue in the fact that homosexuality as a construct of identity is very much a western invention. "Homosexual" is a cultural idea that is less than a century old. Inevitably, there are going to be issues of cultural appropriation and influence when specifically cultural concepts interact with cultures that do not share these concepts. Nothing seems to be suggest that Massad agrees with or endorses the persecution of homosexuals. He just seems to feel the delineation of homosexual identity is an alien concept.

To be honest, I am not experienced enough to make a judgement about whether he is right or wrong in this declaration. However, I do not think it is fair to suggest this cultural relativism.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Also Al-Saqr, how can you appeal to western liberalism at one turn and then appeal to cultural relativism at another?

It's really simple. I can beleive that gay people in the middle east are free to be gay and free to identify as gay while writing academic books and articles on the societal trends and forces and analyze the history of social narratives and trends and critique western missionary organizations and advocacy groups of different flavors and what impact their form of identity politics might have good or bad in relation to their target audience. there's no conflict here.

quote:

Joseph Massad definitely does not agree.

Prove it. oh wait you cant, because that's not at all what he's arguing.

If you want to take this over to the LGBT politics thread, then do that. I think we've derailed this thread.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

If you put more energy into criticizing gay rights groups in Islamic countries for their western imperialism than you do towards criticism of the governments that literally want to murder them then you're a homophobe, sorry. This shithead can sit back and make arguments about imperialism while these people are killed, that is sick.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Al-Saqr posted:

Prove it. oh wait you cant, because that's not at all what he's arguing.

If you want to take this over to the LGBT politics thread, then do that. I think we've derailed this thread.

Do you actually believe the BS argument he makes here? He's defending a clear-cut and well known instance of homophobia by the Egyptian government.

http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/2007/12/joseph-massad-thinks-gay-movement-is.html

quote:

As one illustration of his thesis, Massad chooses the "Queen Boat" incident of May 11, 2001, when a horde of truncheon-wielding Egyptian police officers boarded a Nile River cruise known as the Queen Boat, a floating disco for gay men. Fifty-two men were arrested, and many of them were tortured and sexually humiliated in prison.
...Massad claims that those Arabs who do accept a Western-style homosexual identity "remain a miniscule minority among those men who engage in same-sex relations and who do not identify as 'gay' nor express a need for gay politics." He makes this sweeping assertion--upon which his entire, 418-page book is predicated--without any statistical evidence. Furthermore, he does not consider that the reason why Arab homosexuals may not "express a need for gay politics" might be because they would be killed if they did.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

If you put more energy into criticizing gay rights groups in Islamic countries for their western imperialism than you do towards criticism of the governments that literally want to murder them then you're a homophobe, sorry. This shithead can sit back and make arguments about imperialism while these people are killed, that is sick.

I don't disagree, but do you recognize the difference between executing someone for a homosexual act and executing someone for being a homosexual?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

"People are dying because of politics. It's sick and wrong to politicise their deaths."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't disagree, but do you recognize the difference between executing someone for a homosexual act and executing someone for being a homosexual?

There's really no meaningful distinction because almost everyone who has a sexual orientation eventually acts on that orientation, it's one of the most powerful biological desires out there. Either way, there's no logical reason for a government to persecute consenting adults for their sexual activity.

• Locked thread