Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Let me use a metaphor

This is a gradient between yellow and green. Can you objectively pinpoint the EXACT spot that yellow stops being yellow and becomes green? Can you say with absolutely certainty there is an exact agreed upon spot that yellow becomes green?

If you can't, does that mean yellow and green can't exist?

Any human moral idea is condemned to implode from deconstruction. Its the entire reason deconstruction exists. It's not logically possible to create a moral or intellectual framework that survives deconstructive scrutiny. However, it is nihilistic to claim that because no idea can survive being deconstructed, ideas do not have value.

All human ideas are built upon a pillar of mush, but we still need and use those ideas to function. Equality, Liberty, Justice, etc as ideas all fall apart if you push against them hard enough, but it doesn't mean they don't have value and we don't apply them to our lives.

To apply it to the reparations debate, yes, the further back in history you go and the more obscure you make the chain of interactions, the harder it becomes to ascertain a clear moral mandate. However, that does not mean that we should ignore situations in which the mandate IS clear. No, I do not think it is moral or practical to try to apply reparations to the Assyrians and Mongols. However, the fact that the line eventually becomes blurry does not mean the line is never clear.

If you want to argue the mandate has expired for colonial reparations, fine. People have done that, and I strongly disagree with them. But if you want to argue that creating some idea of moral mandate should never be done because you can imagine a situation in which the mandate might be obscured, I think you are trying to distract from the actual argument.

If you are talking about moral mandate, that can't be imposed, not at least because of the existence of a gradient of cases. What can be done is a reconciliatory procedure, which would be largely a formal exercise in historical context going back for centuries.

E: I should perhaps clarify - your idea of a gradient that has a line where the color skews predominantly to one color is naive when contrasted to the social reality where every line cutting through a gradient is in fact just another gradient of a different quality, in an infinite fractal progression.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Then call it what it is - welfare / social programs.

Why does it matter? Because it offends the sensibilities of some people? "Reparations" does a pretty good job of describing the reason why we'd implement those particular welfare/social programs. Obviously helping people is good in and of itself, but if part of the reason a particular group needs help is due to the past crimes of the nation in question, there shouldn't be any problem with calling that help "reparations."

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Let me use a metaphor

This is a gradient between yellow and green. Can you objectively pinpoint the EXACT spot that yellow stops being yellow and becomes green? Can you say with absolutely certainty there is an exact agreed upon spot that yellow becomes green?

If you can't, does that mean yellow and green can't exist?

Any human moral idea is condemned to implode from deconstruction. Its the entire reason deconstruction exists. It's not logically possible to create a moral or intellectual framework that survives deconstructive scrutiny. However, it is nihilistic to claim that because no idea can survive being deconstructed, ideas do not have value.

All human ideas are built upon a pillar of mush, but we still need and use those ideas to function. Equality, Liberty, Justice, etc as ideas all fall apart if you push against them hard enough, but it doesn't mean they don't have value and we don't apply them to our lives.

To apply it to the reparations debate, yes, the further back in history you go and the more obscure you make the chain of interactions, the harder it becomes to ascertain a clear moral mandate. However, that does not mean that we should ignore situations in which the mandate IS clear. No, I do not think it is moral or practical to try to apply reparations to the Assyrians and Mongols. However, the fact that the line eventually becomes blurry does not mean the line is never clear.

If you want to argue the mandate has expired for colonial reparations, fine. People have done that, and I strongly disagree with them. But if you want to argue that creating some idea of moral mandate should never be done because you can imagine a situation in which the mandate might be obscured, I think you are trying to distract from the actual argument.

That's a lot of words to say "continuum fallacy".

And if just say out loud you want the imperialist oppressors of AmeriKKKa and Europe to pay that's much more short and to the point, there's no need to confuse everyone by writing a fifty page argument about why that's totally reparations and why reparations is actually a completely different thing from its dictionary definition. I'm sure thousands of tankies will agree with you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

steinrokkan posted:

E: I should perhaps clarify - your idea of a gradient that has a line where the color skews predominantly to one color is naive when contrasted to the social reality where every line cutting through a gradient is in fact just another gradient of a different quality, in an infinite fractal progression.

Its not naive, its the point. You are right, everything we experience in social reality is a different quality in an infinite fractal. The only way we can make sense of existing in a world like that is by establishing arbitrary definitions and restrictions. But its the same with the gradient. Yellow and Green do not objectively exist, we just have a vague mutually agreed upon understanding that a general assortment of distinct light frequencies. Two points beside each other on a gradient are completely different wavelengths, but we identify them both as the same color because we cannot exist in a reality of overwhelming distinction. The issue with that is the inevitability our mutually agreed perspective will break down. It doesn't make the agreement irrelevant, but it does make an exact distinction impossible.

Yellow and Green are arbitrated just as our ideas of society and culture are arbitrated. Society and law are just as arbitrated as color is.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

The whole article is about how a lack of integration is a big problem.

That's not sufficient proof of causation. Try again, sweetheart.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 31, 2016

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Why does it matter? Because it offends the sensibilities of some people? "Reparations" does a pretty good job of describing the reason why we'd implement those particular welfare/social programs. Obviously helping people is good in and of itself, but if part of the reason a particular group needs help is due to the past crimes of the nation in question, there shouldn't be any problem with calling that help "reparations."

I think that statements like this underline one particular problem that I have with, not perhaps the idea of reparations per se, but rather the repeated insistence throughout this thread by certain individuals that the label "reparations" cannot be dropped.

Some time ago, a number of the pro-rep people presented a list of not entirely unreasonable general policies that they would like to see enacted as part of a wider reparations program. What struck me most about these ideas is that other than the label itself, these sorts of policies would largely be indistinguishable from many radical progressive platforms.

I guess the question that I have for those of you so ardently defending this idea would be the following : Imagine a world wherein the US (or who ever) accumulated the political will and financial means to enact sweeping policy changes that would exactly mirror your ideal reparations agenda. Now imagine that the word "reparations" was never used but rather they were sold as something else, say The Economic and Social Human Equality Act with no mention of any guilty historical legacy. Would this sort of program be acceptable to you or is the acknowledgement of past wrongs just as important as the policies themselves?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Giggle Goose posted:

I guess the question that I have for those of you so ardently defending this idea would be the following : Imagine a world wherein the US (or who ever) accumulated the political will and financial means to enact sweeping policy changes that would exactly mirror your ideal reparations agenda. Now imagine that the word "reparations" was never used but rather they were sold as something else, say The Economic and Social Human Equality Act with no mention of any guilty historical legacy. Would this sort of program be acceptable to you or is the acknowledgement of past wrongs just as important as the policies themselves?

If it were feasible and within reach to enact policies consistent with reparations without calling it reparations, I don't think there would be much of an issue with me.

My issue with the argument of "Why focus on reparations when we should focus on everyone?" as it has been used by others in this thread, is that its replacing a clear and direct moral mandate with an impossibly vague one. Its much clearer to say "we need to reinvest wealth gained through colonialism into former colonies" than to say "we should help all the poor people"

My concern is, and history is on my side with this I feel, is that attempts to diffuse a specific moral obligation into a general "just do right for everybody" is less interested in actually creating a more just system than it is in distracting from uncomfortable ethical history. Most of the time when people say "don't dwell on the past, just do right for everyone now", they are not interested in actually doing right, just avoiding guilt. Frankly I don't trust someone when they say that.

It's why I compared it to all lives matter. All Lives Matter is less interested in eqalitarianism than it is in diffusing the uncomfortable legacy of racism in the US. Arguing against reparations by saying we should help everyone seems insincere. I do not believe for a second they want to actually help everybody. It seems they just want to distract from the legacy of colonialism.

If an actual sincere and immediate attempt at accomplishing the goals of reparations were within grasp, sure, I would not care if it was called reparations

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 31, 2016

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Who What Now posted:

What exactly could constitute proof?

"Unintegrated" immigrant populations are less able to take advantage of the opportunities and participate in the wider communities of their new homes, almost by definition. At least, I would define integration as "the ability to fully socially participate in the native culture" (as much as anyone can). Ghettos and ethnic enclaves aren't objectively bad, but they do represent a failure, both of the hosts to welcome immigrants into their society, and of the immigrants to contribute to the society outside their most immediate circle. There is no obligation to any of this, especially to anyone's detriment, but there is a benefit to cooperation, and choosing to cooperate with one group, but not another, is bad, all else equal*.

*all else is rarely equal, obviously

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My concern is, and history is on my side with this I feel, is that attempts to diffuse a specific moral obligation into a general "just do right for everybody" is less interested in actually creating a more just system than it is in distracting from uncomfortable ethical history. Most of the time when people say "don't dwell on the past, just do right for everyone now", they are not interested in actually doing right, just avoiding guilt. Frankly I don't trust someone when they say that.

My concern is, that attempts to focus on a very specific group of disadvantaged people will lead to general neglect and that, more broadly, generally applicable solutions are preferable to case-by-case solutions if the latter are a subset of the former. Most of the time when people say "don't do right for everyone now, only do what incredibly vague allusions to leftover guilt compel you to do", they are not interested in actually doing right, just passing around guilt and making sure there is a strict limit to what they need to do. Frankly I don't trust someone when they say that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Giggle Goose posted:

Obviously if the end goal was the same (and the process wasn't terrible, like forced migration or whatever) then people wouldn't have an issue. What people have an issue with is the idea that you can just ignore a conflict in contemporary society and not have it pop up later on down the line.

For example - say you had a make-work program, and you promoted people based on merit, and anyone can join. Sounds good, right? Now what if those jobs are all manual labor ones? Women can't do manual labor as well as men (at least on average), so your system has the unintentional effect of creating male-favored outcomes, even if there's nothing in the program that explicitly says "yeah we're only favoring men".

To bring it back to the original topic, asking people to "just act French" requires a lot more change for a recent immigrant or the children thereof than for a white person born in France. This is especially true when you're trying to resist as much change to the culture as possible, for no reason other than "my ancestors were here first" (which is strange in light of the "Sins of the Father" arguments earlier).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

"The 80% of the article about how a lack of integration is bad for people do not support the statement that a lack of integration is bad for people." Debating and discussing this issue with you is fruitless, because you deny the possibility that you may be wrong.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^^^^
No, I deny that your unfounded assertions are true. If you can't back it up then don't say it. This isn't a hard concept to understand.

Infinite Karma posted:

What exactly could constitute proof?

"Unintegrated" immigrant populations are less able to take advantage of the opportunities and participate in the wider communities of their new homes, almost by definition. At least, I would define integration as "the ability to fully socially participate in the native culture" (as much as anyone can).

Are they? Prove it.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 31, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blowfish posted:

My concern is, that attempts to focus on a very specific group of disadvantaged people will lead to general neglect and that, more broadly, generally applicable solutions are preferable to case-by-case solutions if the latter are a subset of the former. Most of the time when people say "don't do right for everyone now, only do what incredibly vague allusions to leftover guilt compel you to do", they are not interested in actually doing right, just passing around guilt and making sure there is a strict limit to what they need to do. Frankly I don't trust someone when they say that.

I might be tempted to believe you if you didn't keep slipping up and saying racist stuff

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

To bring it back to the original topic, asking people to "just act French" requires a lot more change for a recent immigrant or the children thereof than for a white person born in France. This is especially true when you're trying to resist as much change to the culture as possible, for no reason other than "my ancestors were here first" (which is strange in light of the "Sins of the Father" arguments earlier).

It's not necessarily "my ancestors were here first", it's "there's 60 million frogs french who don't want to change currently living here, who are you, one person, to say they have to change".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blowfish posted:

It's not necessarily "my ancestors were here first", it's "there's 60 million frogs french who don't want to change currently living here, who are you, one person, to say they have to change while you don't".

Except it's like 10 million people of non-white origin, not just 1?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blowfish posted:

It's not necessarily "my ancestors were here first", it's "there's 60 million frogs french who don't want to change currently living here, who are you, one person, to say they have to change".

what are the French being asked to change by someone else wearing a hijab?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

Except it's like 10 million people of non-white origin, not just 1?

That's still less than 60 million if my ability to type numbers into calc.exe hasn't detoriated too much, and they didn't all arrive at the same time but entered France which is full of French bit by bit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

That's still less than 60 million if my ability to type numbers into calc.exe hasn't detoriated too much, and they didn't all arrive at the same time but entered France which is full of French bit by bit.

So what's the cut-off? Obviously It's not 1/6.

So is it 1/3? 1/1? Never?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blowfish posted:

When you're talking about a group of people - especially ones that number in the millions - it's a little different than one random guy doing stuff.

I mean, would you say the same thing about the Jews? They need to act French?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

^^^^^^^
No, I deny that your unfounded assertions are true. If you can't back it up then don't say it. This isn't a hard concept to understand.

Are they? Prove it.

Have you even read the article? Perhaps you want to read the underlying study (in German)?

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what are the French being asked to change by someone else wearing a hijab?

They're being asked to tolerate the oppression of their fellow citizens (Muslim women being obligated to cover up for "modesty"). France is a free society.

(Just to be clear I think Muslim women should be able to wear anything they want, anywhere they want, but supporting a religious attire ban doesn't have to be rooted in cartoonishly evil racism)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Secular Humanist posted:

(Just to be clear I think Muslim women should be able to wear anything they want, anywhere they want, but supporting a religious attire ban doesn't have to be rooted in cartoonishly evil racism)

There are enough people arguing paternalistic white savior complexes seriously without you needing to play devil's advocate

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

The refutation of this isn't based on the colonized and oppressed people not deserving their stuff back, it's that assigning blame to say who should pay it back, how much they should pay, and how to separate the legitimate growth that's occurred in the mean time, that's impossible. The home can't be given back, it's bulldozed. The murdered people can't be brought back to life, they're dead.

For a counterexample, let's say your great-grandfather was an immigrant, after slavery ended. He never stole any wealth, and was not born with priveleges related to that wealth, but he probably did eventually spend his fairly earned money on things that were created indirectly by stolen wealth. Is he less culpable than his neighbors who were around to reap the rewards of colonialism directly? Are you, his descendent, more, or less culpable than he was? How much more or less? Does it change your culpability if he was brown, and from a place that was colonized, instead of colonizer? Isn't it important to know exactly how much guilt to feel, before you try and make up for it? It seems like a very insincere apology if you don't even bother knowing what you personally did wrong.

First of all, if he came in after the end of slavery then he absolutely directly benefited from colonialism and a whole host of other civil rights abuses. Second of all, even if he didn't directly hold looted wealth from Latin America or the Philippines, he benefited from the economic prosperity brought about by those crimes. How many times did he eat cheap fruit from one of Central America's so-called banana republics, set up by the US as thinly-veiled extensions of United Fruit?

Giggle Goose posted:

I think that statements like this underline one particular problem that I have with, not perhaps the idea of reparations per se, but rather the repeated insistence throughout this thread by certain individuals that the label "reparations" cannot be dropped.

Some time ago, a number of the pro-rep people presented a list of not entirely unreasonable general policies that they would like to see enacted as part of a wider reparations program. What struck me most about these ideas is that other than the label itself, these sorts of policies would largely be indistinguishable from many radical progressive platforms.

If we can't even scrape together the political will to acknowledge the past wrongs, there's no way we could implement a program that even treats those groups equally, let alone one that gives them an advantage to compensate for the disadvantages they've suffered for so many decades. Look at the differences between "affirmative action" and "welfare" as implemented by society.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

First of all, if he came in after the end of slavery then he absolutely directly benefited from colonialism and a whole host of other civil rights abuses. Second of all, even if he didn't directly hold looted wealth from Latin America or the Philippines, he benefited from the economic prosperity brought about by those crimes. How many times did he eat cheap fruit from one of Central America's so-called banana republics, set up by the US as thinly-veiled extensions of United Fruit?

If we can't even scrape together the political will to acknowledge the past wrongs, there's no way we could implement a program that even treats those groups equally, let alone one that gives them an advantage to compensate for the disadvantages they've suffered for so many decades. Look at the differences between "affirmative action" and "welfare" as implemented by society.

Both good points

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

When you're talking about a group of people - especially ones that number in the millions - it's a little different than one random guy doing stuff.

I mean, would you say the same thing about the Jews? They need to act French?

1) Immigrants or even specifically nonwhite immigrants are also not a homogenous group but instead a hodgepodge of different groups who can hate each other just as much as old conservatives hate all of them.
2) If you dump 100 million immigrants (that aren't all from the same culture) on France then everyone will still have to agree on a set of shared values and obligations for practicality if nothing else.
3) There is no universal reason for all humans to be cheese eating baguette surrendering Frenchies, but Frenchness is pre-existing in France and works reasonably well and there's no reason it shouldn't be the thing everyone agrees on, either, so it is very practical to become French.
4) You also have to ask why all those people went to France instead of Hungary or America or Saudi Barbaria? Sure, there's practical reasons like more open borders or not having your hands hacked off by the moral police, but to a large extent you have to treat immigrants as having chosen to go somewhere and these practical reasons are part of that (implying they accept any tradeoff going there might require). Conversely, there should be an expectation placed on the French that as citizens of a country that takes in immigrants, they need to let (and help) immigrants become upstanding French citizens. The situation is different for refugees who flee from danger temporarily, but refugees can then choose to either make that tradeoff like a normal immigrant or to go back home when it's safe.

Jews and Frenchiness: If they're arch-conservative retards who make women sit in the back of the bus like some of the ultra-orthodox enclaves in Israel, then hell yeah they need to act French. If they're functioning French citizens who happen to be Jews then, uh, it's a solved problem?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There are enough people arguing paternalistic white savior complexes seriously without you needing to play devil's advocate

:ironicat:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blowfish posted:

Saudi Barbaria?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I might be tempted to believe you if you didn't keep slipping up and saying racist stuff

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Who What Now posted:

Are they? Prove it.

Infinite Karma posted:

"Unintegrated" immigrant populations are less able to take advantage of the opportunities and participate in the wider communities of their new homes, almost by definition. At least, I would define integration as "the ability to fully socially participate in the native culture" (as much as anyone can).
Prove what, exactly? That women wearing burqas can't participate in their (Western) adopted cultures as equals? That's the whole goddamn cultural point of the burqa.

People who can earn a living that satisfies them and participate in their communities are integrated, regardless of their skin color or smelly foods or personal beliefs. People who are excluded from those things are not integrated.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My issue with the argument of "Why focus on reparations when we should focus on everyone?" as it has been used by others in this thread, is that its replacing a clear and direct moral mandate with an impossibly vague one. Its much clearer to say "we need to reinvest wealth gained through colonialism into former colonies" than to say "we should help all the poor people"
Actually, the opposite is true.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

lol

If you think "Saudi Barbaria" is racism then you need to see a doctor. you have caught me out, my final solution is the eternal subjugation of the immigrant underclass~ :godwinning:

Main Paineframe posted:

Was that conquest a massive human rights abuse involving the wholesale plunder or oppression of the Spanish? My early-medieval history is a bit fuzzy, but I don't remember that being the case. I certainly don't remember anything on par with, say, Spain's wholesale expulsion of Muslims a century or so after taking full control of the Iberian Peninsula. We're talking about reparations for human rights abuses, not disagreements between kings and land changing rulers, and the fact that you're comparing conquests to colonialism and genocide suggests that you just don't get it.

The problem with having cutoffs at all is that they incentivize countries to stonewall and "run out the clock". Take, for instance, the Holocaust and the Armenian Genocide. Germany admitted to its crimes and is still paying Holocaust reparations to this day, while Turkey continues to deny that its crimes ever happened and hasn't paid a cent in reparations as a result. The direct survivors of that genocide are likely all dead as of a few years ago; does that mean that the genocide has reverted from being a crime against humanity to just a bygone unfortunate historical fact not worth holding anyone responsible for?

If you steal all of someone's money except for $20 and then bulldoze their home while their family is inside, can you then refuse any responsibility or punishment for their crimes because it would be immoral to pay back what you stole because a totally unrelated homeless orphan who only has $10 is clearly more deserving of charity than your victim is? What if you spent all that money and don't have it anymore - does that mean you don't have to pay it back anymore because you didn't end up with a net profit anymore? What if you gave it all to your kid - does that mean they don't have to return the stolen property when the crime is discovered, because they're not the one who personally stole it? Where exactly is the dividing line that grants total immunity to responsibility for robbery, plunder, destruction, and murder?

Even if the benefit isn't ongoing, the losses certainly are! For example, the Congo Free State had profitability issues, which is part of why Leopold cranked things up to such an extreme level...but I doubt the victims of his hand-collecting squads considered that to be a mitigating factor!

Since you are arguing in good faith I'll seriously respond to the point about running out the clock. The same argument can be made for any well-defined law, especially if it comes with a statute of limitations like many criminal laws already do - since people being incentivised to lay low while running out the clock on crimes is acceptable in many cases at small scale, you need to show why it's unacceptable in this particular context at large scale, especially beyond living memory.

In the concrete example of the Armenian genocide as compared to the Holocaust: Holocaust reparations were agreed on when victims were recently dead or still alive, and perpetrators plus supporters/Mitläufers were also still largely alive. Right now, I would argue that Germany is in fact running out the clock on reparations (and it's bad form to make a big fuss over not running out the clock, see also WW1 reparations), though the last bits of relevance may only disappear in a few years as the last Holocaust survivor, the last SS guard and the last witness haven't died yet. The Armenian genocide is a world war further in the past than the Holocaust, and I honestly don't think there would be much point to reparations. The main thing there would be for Turkey to acknowledge that Turkey's history isn't 100% Turkey gently caress Yeah but also contains very shameful episodes that are cautionary examples and should never be repeated.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What moral imperative for practical action is easier to demonstrate to the greatest number of people:

1) The need to uplift as many people as possible out of poverty due to basic philosophical principles such as the idea of seeing politics as a tool for safeguarding the growth of individual human potential, and that a society where everybody is first and foremost concerned about the well being of others is the most prosperous society possible.
2) The need to uplift people out of poverty due to the fact my great-grandpa was maybe complicit in robbing their great-grandpa.

And if even 1 is impossible in practice, what does that say about 2?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, he did benefit, but both his benefit, and his responsibility for those actions are far, far less than United Fruit's, for your example. And over time, those extra resources have compounded from small benefits, into large ones, partly due to the intrinsic value of the looted wealth growing, and partly due to the added value of our ancestors' labor over time.

But you didn't answer the important question: is our responsibility (in the modern day) greater than our guilty-by-association ancestors, because our total prosperity has increased? Or is it less, because the guilt has been diluted by everyone in modernity owning smaller and smaller portions of the original tainted wealth? Even if we aren't trying to assign individual (in terms of my inherited benefit versus your inherited benefit) blame, we still need to decide on how much we collectively owe, and to whom, or reparations really are identical to helping the poor people.

vvvv edit: I fully admit that racial bias and discrimination is still a current problem, and not a purely past one, but screwing over our own underclass strikes me as a different topic than this thread is talking about.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 31, 2016

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

What moral imperative for practical action is easier to demonstrate to the greatest number of people:

1) The need to uplift as many people as possible out of poverty due to basic philosophical principles such as the idea of seeing politics as a tool for safeguarding the growth of individual human potential, and that a society where everybody is first and foremost concerned about the well being of others is the most prosperous society possible.
2) The need to uplift people out of poverty due to the fact my great-grandpa was maybe complicit in robbing their great-grandpa.

And if even 1 is impossible in practice, what does that say about 2?

You don't need to go back three generations to find institutional robbery: racial bias in home lending continued into this century. Americans don't care about either because we've convinced ourselves it's the poor's own fault for their status.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

snyprmag posted:

You don't need to go back three generations to find institutional robbery: racial bias in home lending continued into this century. Americans don't care about either because we've convinced ourselves it's the poor's own fault for their status.

So... educate Americans about how racial bias in home lending in tyool 2016 is a thing that exists and is bad, then do something to remove racial bias in home lending in tyool 2016? This is a current problem, it needs to be fixed regardless of whose grandpa is the guiltiest, this concept shouldn't be hard to understand.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
A lot of trolls in this thread are racist as hell and it's cool to see them playing this dogwistle game where we both know what they are saying but never admit to it because they are way to weakminded to own their beliefs when people disagree with them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Have you figured out that correlation isn't causation?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Also I'm pretty sure Mel is physically incapable of not responding to stupid people.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

snyprmag posted:

Well, reparations for miscarriages of justice make full sense, but that!s effectively a matter of whether there's a functional and equitable judicial system in general, isn't it. I don't think abstract forms of racial injustice that never were technically illegal can be really addressed through something other than basic good policy making, though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Mel is physically incapable of not responding to stupid people.

Pretty much :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Have you figured out that correlation isn't causation?

Infinite Karma posted:

Prove what, exactly? That women wearing burqas can't participate in their (Western) adopted cultures as equals? That's the whole goddamn cultural point of the burqa.

People who can earn a living that satisfies them and participate in their communities are integrated, regardless of their skin color or smelly foods or personal beliefs. People who are excluded from those things are not integrated.

• Locked thread