Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

Yes, actually. Show me your work, not just unfounded assertions. You'll be the first, but I'll wait, don't worry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

drilldo squirt posted:

A lot of trolls in this thread are racist as hell and it's cool to see them playing this dogwistle game where we both know what they are saying but never admit to it because they are way to weakminded to own their beliefs when people disagree with them.

You're being paranoid as hell. Not every disagreement in the world boils down to the platonic ideal of "you're racist".

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

steinrokkan posted:

Well, reparations for miscarriages of justice make full sense, but that!s effectively a matter of whether there's a functional and equitable judicial system, isn't it. I don't think abstract forms of racial injustice that never were technically illegal can be really addressed through something that would be distinguishable from a general good policy.

Affirmative action?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

blowfish posted:

You're being paranoid as hell. Not every disagreement in the world boils down to the platonic ideal of "you're racist".

I'm referring to a specific group of people that include you. Because you are racist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

Well, reparations for miscarriages of justice make full sense, but that!s effectively a matter of whether there's a functional and equitable judicial system in general, isn't it. I don't think abstract forms of racial injustice that never were technically illegal can be really addressed through something other than basic good policy making, though.

I mean, there's always place for reconciliatory procedures (like the many truth commissions that popped up in the past decades), but those are by definition focused on forfeiting the victim's demands for material and retributive punishment of the perpetrator, and instead promote positive change in the future.

drilldo squirt posted:

Affirmative action?

Fair enough - but is that a reparation? Affirmative action can be quite blind to the historical causes of disadvantage among the groups it targets.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 31, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm referring to a specific group of people that include you. Because you are racist.

[citation needed]. Because you're an idiot who reduces every problem in the world to one cause.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

blowfish posted:

[citation needed]. Because you're an idiot who reduces every problem in the world to one cause.

Citation: your posts in this and the euro thread

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, there's always place for reconciliatory procedures (like the many truth commissions that popped up in the past decades), but those are by definition focused on forfeiting the victim's demands for material and retributive punishment of the perpetrator, and instead promote positive change in the future.

Fair enough - but is that a reparation? Affirmative action can be quite blind to the historical causes of disadvantage among the groups it targets.

It's a policy that addresses the results of non illegal racial discrimination that is not considered good policy without the historical disadvantages.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

If we can't even scrape together the political will to acknowledge the past wrongs, there's no way we could implement a program that even treats those groups equally, let alone one that gives them an advantage to compensate for the disadvantages they've suffered for so many decades. Look at the differences between "affirmative action" and "welfare" as implemented by society.

I think it strange that you seem to think that getting an electorate just about anywhere in the world to acknowledge collective guilt for crimes committed hundreds of years previous would somehow be easier than implementing guilt-free social programs meant to aid the needy.

I am beginning to think that many of you here might not have really thought about what it would be like to try to convince your average voter in any modern democracy that their tax dollars were going to begin paying for something that occurred before even their great-grandparents were alive. I suspect that even most liberal voters would take issue with this and many would be downright offended. You would shoot your proposal in the foot as soon as the R-word was even mentioned.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Citation: your posts in this and the euro thread

You have to do better than this.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

blowfish posted:

You have to do better than this.

It's easier than quoting all your posts.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

It's easier than quoting all your posts.
I suppose just pointing out you're here to take cheap shots and call other people racists emphasise how you are totally less racist than other people is also faster than quoting all your posts.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

I suppose just pointing out you're here to take cheap shots and call other people racists emphasise how you are totally less racist than other people is also faster than quoting all your posts.

I can't help but notice you aren't arguing you aren't racist, only than other people are secretly as racist as you.

HMMMMMM....

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I can't help but notice you aren't arguing you aren't racist, only than other people are secretly as racist as you.

HMMMMMM....

blowfish posted:

cheap shots

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I had no idea calling the sky blue was a cheap shot. What else is a cheap shot to you? Is insinuating Muslims are people also a cheap shot in your eyes?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I had no idea calling the sky blue was a cheap shot. What else is a cheap shot to you? Is insinuating mutism are people also a cheap shot in your eyes?

I wasn't aware mute people aren't people.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Well, reparations for miscarriages of justice make full sense, but that!s effectively a matter of whether there's a functional and equitable judicial system in general, isn't it. I don't think abstract forms of racial injustice that never were technically illegal can be really addressed through something other than basic good policy making, though.
A lack of a "functional and equitable judicial system" from this country's founding till today is exactly why we need reparations. The forms of racial injustice were non-abstract and legal until the civil rights act, and didn't magically all go away afterwards.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

snyprmag posted:

A lack of a "functional and equitable judicial system" from this country's founding till today is exactly why we need reparations. The forms of racial injustice were non-abstract and legal until the civil rights act, and didn't magically all go away afterwards.

...which is, again, actually fixing problems that never got fixed and therefore still exist. In fact, since "reparations" (in non idiot speak) means restitution for past wrongs, reparations imply that no wrong is currently being committed.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

I wasn't aware mute people aren't people.

Well I'm not surprised you would feel that way.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

snyprmag posted:

Yes, and my point is that the instruments of anything that would end up labeled as "reparations" are exactly the same things a decent government would implement regardless of their intent vis a vis historical reparations simply because they make sense.
E: The significance of this is, I think, that adding the reparations rhetoric to policy making discourse makes progressive agenda a tougher sell than it already is without bringing in additional benefit.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 31, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Well I'm not surprised you would feel that way.

I have yet to see you engage a single argument against reparations in the newspeak garbled sense of the term seriously. All you have done in this thread is accusing people of being racist without even bothering to explain why they're racist.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, and my point is that the instruments of anything that would end up labeled as "reparations" are exactly the same things a decent government would implement regardless of their intent vis a vis historical reparations simply because they make sense, objectively.

The problem is that racist institutions rarely do things just because they make sense because of lingering racial biases and the racial component has to be exposed for any progress to be made

Welfare and food stamps are simply good ideas for all poor people but in the United States they are explicitly attacked for racist reasons.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blowfish posted:

All you have done in this thread is accusing people of being racist without even bothering to explain why they're racist.

-Saudi Barbaria
-Ethnic scholar
-Whatshisname
-Immigrants refuse to integrate

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

blowfish posted:

...which is, again, actually fixing problems that never got fixed and therefore still exist. In fact, since "reparations" (in non idiot speak) means restitution for past wrongs, reparations imply that no wrong is currently being committed.

So we should give the victims of institutional racism money and admit wrong doing?
Also what do you mean by idiot speak?

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, and my point is that the instruments of anything that would end up labeled as "reparations" are exactly the same things a decent government would implement regardless of their intent vis a vis historical reparations simply because they make sense.
E: The significance of this is, I think, that adding the reparations rhetoric to policy making discourse makes progressive agenda a tougher sell than it already is without bringing in additional benefit.
I don't think anyone turned off by reparations is really on board with the kind of radical policies needed to fix our wealth distribution needed to fix this country.

snyprmag fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 31, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The problem is that racist institutions rarely do things just because they make sense because of lingering racial biases and the racial component has to be exposed for any progress to be made

Welfare and food stamps are simply good ideas for all poor people but in the United States they are explicitly attacked for racist reasons.

The solution to that is to educate the population about historical and current racism, not relabelling that policy as reparations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

I have yet to see you engage a single argument against reparations in the newspeak garbled sense of the term seriously.

I'll engage seriously with one when I see one that's logically valid. You're free to put one forward if you have one, but until then I'm going to just mock racism for being racist.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

This is a really important point that keeps being made but isn't really being addressed properly. We live in a society where it is extremely, extremely unlikely that any politician within our lifetime will ever enact a policy package even close to the sorts of things that people propose here.

While I certainly agree that the US (and nations the world over) could do a vastly better job in terms of uplifting the socially, economically, and politically marginalized, even small, incremental, imperfect, steps towards greater societal equality are important and good.

One of the dangers of using the language of reparations is that when most people hear those words, they stop listening and you endanger even these small improvements to the status quo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

snyprmag posted:

So we should give the victims of institutional racism money and admit wrong doing?
Are these victims still alive? Then yeah? In the sense that they can sue for damages, maybe with the help of some legal fund for the disadvantaged?

quote:

Also what do you mean by idiot speak?
Attempts to change the definition of reparations from the long-accepted meaning of "restitution for past wrongs" to whatever the author is feeling like that day.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I'll engage seriously with one when I see one that's logically valid. You're free to put one forward if you have one, but until then I'm going to just mock racism for being racist.

Perhaps it would help if you pointed out the specifc ways in which perceived racisms are supposed to be racist. When blatant shitposter mel buttkipper is outdoing you on this front then you have no excuse.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

-Saudi Barbaria
is not racist and will not be racist until the state of saudi barbaria removes barbaric throwbacks to the middle ages from its lawbooks

quote:

-Ethnic scholar
in response to you pointing out he's a scholar who is ethnic

quote:

-Whatshisname
lol this is too stupid for words

quote:

-Immigrants refuse to integrate
if it is happening then it is a factual thing and not a racism

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

Are these victims still alive? Then yeah? In the sense that they can sue for damages, maybe with the help of some legal fund for the disadvantaged?

So only the rich or those some fund deem worthy can have justice, in your eyes? Seems about right?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Yea is the fund publicly funded?
I've always thought we needed some form of public attorneys for these kinds of civil cases.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

if it is happening then it is a factual thing and not a racism

Hooooooly poo poo. This is literally the same thinking behind "if blacks commit the majority of the crimes maybe all blacks should be jailed".

But please, tell us more about how you totally aren't a racist piece of poo poo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

So only the rich or those some fund deem worthy can have justice, in your eyes? Seems about right?

Surely you agree there needs to be some mechanism to identify who qualifies for reparations (which in this case are actual reparations)? Otherwise you're just talking about an increase in mincome.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Hooooooly poo poo. This is literally the same thinking behind "if blacks commit the majority of the crimes maybe all blacks should be jailed".

But please, tell us more about how you totally aren't a racist piece of poo poo.

It is a real problem that needs to be solved. The solution isn't "jail all swarthy immigrants", a conclusion to which you tellingly jump immediately. Like, if someone observes that blacks commit the majority of crimes in a city and proposes a solution that involves increased investment in community building programmes or infrastructure or whatever in high crime areas then is that still a racism :wtc:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 31, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

blowfish posted:

The solution to that is to educate the population about historical and current racism, not relabelling that policy as reparations.

heh, not if certain states have their riiiiights

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 31, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

It is a real problem that needs to be solved.

Blacks a problem that needs to be solved? Seriously?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Blacks a problem that needs to be solved? Seriously?

Tellingly, you immediately jump to the conclusion that all blacks are a problem to be solved, and not that the fact that blacks commit crimes at a higher rate is a problem to be solved, by means other than jailing all blacks. Your paranoia long-denied racism is showing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

Tellingly, you immediately jump to the conclusion that all blacks are a problem to be solved,

That's not a conclusion I'm jumping to, that's what you explicitly said.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Stinky_Pete posted:

heh, not if certain states have their way

Yeah but in those states those policies aren't going to get off the ground in the first place without external pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

What moral imperative for practical action is easier to demonstrate to the greatest number of people:

1) The need to uplift as many people as possible out of poverty due to basic philosophical principles such as the idea of seeing politics as a tool for safeguarding the growth of individual human potential, and that a society where everybody is first and foremost concerned about the well being of others is the most prosperous society possible.
2) The need to uplift people out of poverty due to the fact my great-grandpa was maybe complicit in robbing their great-grandpa.

And if even 1 is impossible in practice, what does that say about 2?

Both are moral imperatives, and presenting it as an either-or choice simply amounts to a declaration that you want to limit moral obligations to a conveniently small sum. Charity doesn't absolve people of the responsibility to make restitution for their crimes, and it's a real stretch to say that compensating the victims of one's crimes is mere charity.

Infinite Karma posted:

Yes, he did benefit, but both his benefit, and his responsibility for those actions are far, far less than United Fruit's, for your example. And over time, those extra resources have compounded from small benefits, into large ones, partly due to the intrinsic value of the looted wealth growing, and partly due to the added value of our ancestors' labor over time.

But you didn't answer the important question: is our responsibility (in the modern day) greater than our guilty-by-association ancestors, because our total prosperity has increased? Or is it less, because the guilt has been diluted by everyone in modernity owning smaller and smaller portions of the original tainted wealth? Even if we aren't trying to assign individual (in terms of my inherited benefit versus your inherited benefit) blame, we still need to decide on how much we collectively owe, and to whom, or reparations really are identical to helping the poor people.

Why do we have to establish individual blame on a person-by-person basis for institutional policies? And why is that in any way relevant to the amount of reparations?

Giggle Goose posted:

I think it strange that you seem to think that getting an electorate just about anywhere in the world to acknowledge collective guilt for crimes committed hundreds of years previous would somehow be easier than implementing guilt-free social programs meant to aid the needy.

When an electorate that's incapable of even acknowledging historical crimes against a group passes social programs, those social programs tend to be utterly ineffective at helping those groups. For example, history shows that race-blind social programs are a poor substitute for affirmative action and reparations - either the same biases that caused the inequities in the first place creep into the program intended to fix them and result in unofficial discrimination against that group, or people notice that the program is disproportionately benefiting that group and therefore gut the program either out of bias or out of resistance to anything reparations-like.

• Locked thread