Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
My idea is of a big hulking linebacker type guy using his physical prowess to be recruited by a prestigious California university to play football. He's good enough for the NFL, but he knows about the dangers of the sport from watching several HBO documentaries, so when he's not out on the field he's busy getting really smart by studying Computer Science. After graduating, he'll have a hard time turning down offers from famous football teams such as the new England Patriots (it was his dream to be on this team when he was younger), but eventually he'll start with a six figure salary at one of the many startups he courted through his junior and senior years and not have any of the concussion-related issues you read about on DeadSpin.

Thoughts on this concept of a programmer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
american football is a garbage sport

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 19, 2016

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I like football

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

whats the moral of this story

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

football is good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

american football is a garbage sport

over here its called soccer

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

football is good

its not

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

footbawl with grandpa joe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
American football is an odd one where it seems a lot of it is to do with someone else controlling it and th players being pawns and it stops so god drat much

like I've seen runs where players pass the ball a few times m and side step players and get a touchdown and it's vaguely interesting to watch but then again just watch rugby or league coz that's kinda what happens the entire game

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Squeezy Farm posted:

My idea is of a big hulking linebacker type guy using his physical prowess to be recruited by a prestigious California university to play football. He's good enough for the NFL, but he knows about the dangers of the sport from watching several HBO documentaries, so when he's not out on the field he's busy getting really smart by studying Computer Science. After graduating, he'll have a hard time turning down offers from famous football teams such as the new England Patriots (it was his dream to be on this team when he was younger), but eventually he'll start with a six figure salary at one of the many startups he courted through his junior and senior years and not have any of the concussion-related issues you read about on DeadSpin.

Thoughts on this concept of a programmer?

he likes to refer to himself as the "quarterback" of the devops team, and sometimes even "throws" a "hail mary," this guy.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

he has a football on his desk, and sometimes when he's talking to somebody about code, or a different topic, he picks it up and tosses it in the air, making it spin three or four times before it lands back in his hands.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

i've met this guy, he was a cool dude, glad to see more types of people getting involved in code other than the unwashed basement dwellers and "gamers"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

nerds are cool now, and by nerd, i mean man whose parents could afford a nintendo.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
he compares every sprint goal to fourth down on the ten yard line (football reference)

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Programmers smart, sportsters stupid. Your ideas make me think you're a sporter.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
he draws a state machine on the whiteboard and then overlays it with x and o motion patterns to explain how it works.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
his program manager doesn't know anything about sports, their communication challenges are hilarious

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

yesterday when the weekly cubicle nerf war broke out, the senior programmer came out of his office, yelled "think fast," and threw a REAL foot ball at the back of Larry's head, so when he turned to look it smacked him real hard in the face and broke his glasses

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

He refers to his company issued Surface as an "ipad like device"

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

"ok guys now's the time for one final push on this project" and then he sends two skinny dbas out of the scrum to get two big fat coders instead

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

at the finish of a project goes around smacking everyone real hard on the bottom and says "good game" (gg)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

American football is an odd one where it seems a lot of it is to do with someone else controlling it and th players being pawns and it stops so god drat much
at least its not baseball

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
why is it called football when you handle the ball with your hands 99% of the time? why not call it handball or hand with the occasional kick ball?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Suspicious posted:

why is it called football when you handle the ball with your hands 99% of the time? why not call it handball or hand with the occasional kick ball?

it's to prepare you for the fact that most other things about it are also dumb

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
american football is good actually

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Suspicious posted:

i know. They should call it like, i dunno, "handegg" or something. Lol

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Do eggs have pointy ends in some necks of the woods? Does Rugby involve rugs and doesn't it look more like an egg? Does cricket involve an incect?

"Brogrammer" is so terrible there should be no subtype ever again.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
so how about that pigskin?

how about that game with the pigskin?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

liverpoo

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i know. They should call it like, i dunno, "handegg" or something. Lol

american football isn't some ancient sport that changed over time and no longer has a fitting name. it was made by 1 dude 100some years ago as an american variant of rugby. despite the fact that hands are what are touching the ball the overwhelming majority of the time, he decided to call it football because _________

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my autistic brain cannot help but fire off hosed up, misrouted signals down my dendrites to counter this evil. my limbs twitching, as i gasp out wet gargles and my butthole clenches inside out like a mobius nightmare, i slap my limbs against the keyboard. this will not stand. i gather my will among the screaming self-hatred and type out the most incisive screed, the deepest cut, against this ugly.....american....sport. fate cruelly sticks her dick in my peanut butter and nothing but greasy farts and curious rabbit-pellet-like turds fly out onto the keyboard. i click submit

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

it is kind of boring though

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
i cannot even come up with a half assed retort, so i type up the weakest burn of the century and click submit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
son played last game of rugby for the season yesterday. rugby is ok I guess? who cares though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
echi how's the cock n balls doin these days

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i need to get a job

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
so wait im confused is he a jock or a nerd????????????????????????????????

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

George posted:

so wait im confused is he a jock or a nerd????????????????????????????????

both :smug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

:prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

jocks are just muscle nerds

• Locked thread