Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ITS ME POPPLIO

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG POPPLIO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Why is Robinhoot part ghost?

And did anyone find out the types of the other leaked Pokémon like alola geodude?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

And did anyone find out the types of the other leaked Pokémon like alola geodude?

Everything but the appearance of the pokemon was successfully scrubbed from the demo. So no stats/types/moves until an official reveal.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Its based on an extinct owl.

Also no, typings and stats and moves were all scrubbed out of the demo. We only got the models.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

because Jumpluff sued to remain the only third stage Grass/Flying type

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Cool Pokemon

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Listening to the Team Skull themes.

They're fantastic in every way :allears:

yeah...yeah

EDIT: aw aw let's go

getting down wubba wubba dub dub

...guess what

do it do it

getting down

Words to live by.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 27, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Guys, these might be the best starters of any gen.

And they all have signature moves.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Deified Data posted:

And they all have signature moves.

So did the XY ones

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

it's ghost because it's a sniper also based on an extinct owl

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

less laughter posted:

So did the XY ones

Yeah, but I'm liking the designs, types, and moves of these guys better.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

less laughter posted:

So did the XY ones

As did the Ruby and Sapphire ones. Plus Emboar.

EDIT: The Sun and Moon starters all have type advantages against the XY starters.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 27, 2016

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I wonder if Psychic Terrain either prevents Dark attacks from going through (which would be neat) or it's even more priority hate and prevents priority attacks?

Tikis having terrain as a gimmick is alright enough, but I had to remind myself what they did and they're meh:

Electric means no grounded pokemon can fall asleep which could be kinda useful in singles maybe.

Grass gives everything leftovers basically. Maybe Bull Tiki could be some kind of super stall, that gets destroyed by Poison.

Misty prevents all status conditions which is funny cause it's a straight upgrade from Electric, unless you want to status the opponent.

Terrain effects actually have more effects than that. As of Gen 6 they buff the damage dealt by their respective type by 50%. Grassy Terrain also lowers the power of physical ground type moves by 50%. Misty Terrain makes dragon type moves do half damage.

It should also be noted that you can stack weather and terrain, so you could have Sunny Day and Grassy Terrain up, allowing you to use +50% power solarbeams every turn.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zuzie posted:

As did the Ruby and Sapphire ones. Plus Emboar.

Samurott and Serperior had signature moves, too. Every starter from Gen V onwards did, at least until they quickly go distributed to others who might need them more.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dewott sort of had Razor Shell, even if it wasn't unique having a shell-wielding samurai as a starter was pretty obviously the source of the idea.

E: Sorta beaten, but I thought Cloyster got Razor Shell even in Gen V?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

accelgor gets water shuriken, mismagius gets mystical fire, and cacturne+maractus get spiky shield

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

accelgor is gonna have special water-type priority coverage this gen and that's pretty alright

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Geostomp posted:

Samurott and Serperior had signature moves, too. Every starter from Gen V onwards did, at least until they quickly go distributed to others who might need them more.

A few other Grass types had Leaf Tornado in their movesets in Gen 5 as well: Victreebel, Shiftry, Tropius and Carnivine. Shellder can learn Razor Shell.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I usually use the underdog as well and was excited to train Popplio but my little sister hates Incineroar so much she jumped ship on Litten so I think he's my guy now...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPjL1DIYOwo

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Ice_Mallet posted:

Terrain effects actually have more effects than that. As of Gen 6 they buff the damage dealt by their respective type by 50%. Grassy Terrain also lowers the power of physical ground type moves by 50%. Misty Terrain makes dragon type moves do half damage.

It should also be noted that you can stack weather and terrain, so you could have Sunny Day and Grassy Terrain up, allowing you to use +50% power solarbeams every turn.

I can find no evidence that misty terrain raises fairy type moves.

Rain dance + electric terrain thunders are also notable

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I've seen some people talking up Alola Raichu, Electro Ball, and Electric Terrain. How does that play out in practice?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

probably very poorly

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Elfgames posted:

if i can max a pokemon's iv's all my mon's iv's gonna be maxed

not if you're running Gyro Ball or something.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

There's little point in maxing out all of a Pokémon's given IVs unless it's going to some kind of mixed attacker. Even then, you're going to have to go with a nature that lowers one of them anyway.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

The Bee posted:

I've seen some people talking up Alola Raichu, Electro Ball, and Electric Terrain. How does that play out in practice?

Not very well! It either needs to set up, in which case your opponent sees Electric Terrain and sends out their favorite Ground-type to negate the strategy, or you send out two Electric-types in Doubles, meaning both will get EQ'd.

The two in Doubles in some sort of Switch War might be interesting, or even just as an opener, but specifically for the purpose of Electro Ball it's not gonna go too great.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

This man got 3 baton passers in a random battle.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-465167921

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 28, 2016

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

Here comes ya twirling boy!

I love how Darkest Lariat is literally the demon fist weapon art from Dark Souls III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcfI43bTZCM&t=56s

Crabrawler's evo better have a special move with the bone fist hadouken from Dark Souls II

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ruggington posted:

accelgor is gonna have special water-type priority coverage this gen and that's pretty alright

I don't really know how useful a +1 priority move is gonna be on the one of the fastest pokemon in the game.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Beats sucker punch and other priorities

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
It's going to be incredible with Accelgor's new alternative hidden ability, Battle Bond.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't really know how useful a +1 priority move is gonna be on the one of the fastest pokemon in the game.

It worked out pretty well for Talonflame! :v:

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Somebody mentioned that with Surge Surfer, Raichu can hit 700 speed. If you buff it's speed by 6 stages, that's 2800 speed, right? And then if you put a Choice Scarf on it, Raichu can go fast enough to rocket into orbit.

Or at least, it should.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ice_Mallet posted:

Somebody mentioned that with Surge Surfer, Raichu can hit 700 speed. If you buff it's speed by 6 stages, that's 2800 speed, right? And then if you put a Choice Scarf on it, Raichu can go fast enough to rocket into orbit.

Or at least, it should.

That's assuming that it keeps it's normal form speed. Alolan forms probably have different stats.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Dartrix was so beautiful he died now he hides his precious hair under the leaf hood.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I skipped many many pages of this to say

OH HELL YEAH.

This game is lit as hell, can't wait to see Aloha with all my new friends.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Now that I'm a ghost I'm ghost-type

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

252 SpA Life Orb Accelgor Water Shuriken (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 102-126 (28.4 - 35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Yeah decidueye is a disastrous name and sincerely believe nobody at whatever branch handles the Pokemon translations could think of anything better like say Arrowl

Arrowl Flynn would actually be a pretty good name for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Decidueye is a cross between deciduous as in forest and dead-eye as in sniper. It's kind of clever. They should have named the seal Lisa Frank though