Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The sandcastles look much better in motion than they do in the art. The flexible, gaping mouth doesn't really come across in a still image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I know a lot of people are pooh-poohing that Uranium fan game, but I gave it a spin and was really delighted by one of its mechanics. IVs and EVs are not hidden values and can clearly be seen on the status screen. Also, there are straightforward options for earning EVs and one doesn't even need combat! It makes me a lot more interested in breeding for higher quality babies and EV training, resulting in a lot more replay value.

Too bad there will probably never be a straightforward way to find these values out in the real games. :(

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I know that there's ways to find out IVs in Pokémon games, yes. However, it can't be done at a glance on a status screen. You either need to break out a calculator or get the Pokémon slowly examined one at a time by an NPC. He gives vague feedback that you either need to memorize or look up to properly interpret. It's refreshing to cut through all the obfuscation and just get that information quickly.

Memorizing the EVs you've earned is also a pointless annoyance.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Manually having to run each Pokémon over and get them slowly examined one by one is tedious. Why not cut the middleman and have the option to see the actual values?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Zodack posted:

I don't know maybe ask Sun and Moon, which is doing that very thing probably

Oh yes, I'm looking forward to that. Just giving a way to increase IVs is a huge step in the right direction. We'll have to see what more they may or may not do with it.

One last thing about IVs before I let the topic rest: I do all my hatching using a copy of Pokémon X, biking down Route 7 where the daycare is located. Got to fly to Kiloude and back any time I want to check the values. If they're going to keep the traditional IV checker, I hope it'll be on the same route/adjacent town like they did with ORAS.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I'm digging the high fashion silverfish monster. It would be amazing without the cartoony eyes.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I'm stunned by Brionne's ugliness.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
When I read Salandit's Pokédex blurb this bit troubled me:

Pokédex posted:

Salandit females not only release toxic gases, they can also emit pheromones that attract males of all species, including Pokémon and humans. Inhaling these pheromones may cause opponents to be controlled by Salandit’s will.

Its evolution seems to have gone further in that direction. :(

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
That flying/steel ultra beast has an odd bamboo + rocket ship theme and I think I've realized what its deal is.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Bummed to hear that O Powers are gone. Those made catching legendary Pokémon less of a chore. (You're paralyzed and at 1 HP and I'm using balls with a 3x capture rate, just stay in the ball!)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I'm on reset #13 to try to get a female starter. Really wish it didn't have a 2 minute cutscene each time. :shepicide:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
It's such a joy to finally take off the dumb hat!

Also great is the fact that they let you get interesting Pokémon early. You're not just stuck with the obligatory trash rats/birds/bugs and a starter before the first "gym".

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Emalde posted:

I have no idea why X/Y didn't let this, the majority of people I've seen online who have figured out how to change clothes have all removed the hat. Hats are dumb inherently, especially the ones featured in pokemon.

I'm guessing one of the important developers insisted that a mandatory silly hat was an "essential" part of the playable Pokémon trainer image. Good that they've finally cast off that tradition.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Mudbray has realistic freaky horse teeth. :swoon:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I just hatched a shiny Rowlet. Can't say I was expecting that.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
My Festival Avenue mysteriously emptied, save for a single VIP I made earlier. Going online and conducting trades didn't bring people back. What happened?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
My festival plaza has continued to stay empty and I have no idea why. Has anyone else encountered this?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I'm surprised at how many people bang their heads against a wall trying to catch things like Sableye or Feebas.

The GTS bypasses all that nonsense. If you have a compatible internet connection there's no reason not to use it. Just deposit something remotely valuable (version exclusives, starters, late game exclusives, etc) and someone else will have caught that annoyingly rare Pokémon for you.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I clawed my way to the endgame, and I'm absolutely thrilled at the feature I earned at the battle tree. You can finally browse all of your Pokémon's IVs directly from the PC, with both descriptive text and a graphic showing the stat spread. It's everything I've ever wanted... :swoon: It's unobtrusive for players that don't need it or want to see it, but easy to toggle on for those that do want to see it. Browsing the potential of your Pokémon is now quick and convenient.

I didn't think they'd actually go and do it. Glad to see I was wrong.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

guts and bolts posted:

Is there some trick to catching Pokemon with Natures/Abilities you want, because so far that's what's killing my interest

Yes! The Synchronize ability can make it much more likely to find the specific nature of its user. (Like a modest Espeon in party slot 1 makes wild Pokémon very likely to be modest natured.) If you're having tons of trouble, though, a goon could hook you up with a hatched one. Maybe even me, if you're interested?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

guts and bolts posted:

This is genuinely helpful, and I'll try the Synchronize thing because I have a Brave Abra that has Synchronize? I think? And if that straight up fails me I'll likely ask for your help with a hatched one, that sounds dope

I'm about to start hatching some now. My friend code is 5086-1559-1599.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I have freshly hatched Rockruffs with Vital Spirit, adamant, and nice egg moves for guts and bolts. But to trade one over, I'll need your friend code, you'll have to add me, and then we'll both have to activate the internet in the plaza.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

guts and bolts posted:

I will go and find this information for you presently, thank you

EDIT: also I have virtually nothing to offer in trade, so you'd basically just be helping me instead of this being an equal exchange, which makes me feel bad :(

EDIT EDIT: my friend code is evidently 2724-3436-0512

All set. You just need to turn on the internet in the plaza. And I don't mind getting a throwaway in return; I've done this hundreds of times!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

guts and bolts posted:

Thank you muchly

I don't know what the etiquette is about adding people as a VIP but whatever you can be a ~very important person~ in my ~castle of Pokémen~

Enjoy your much improved doggo. Don't forget to go inside the castle and talk to my avatar at the table for a FC bonus! (Those happen every time you do an online trade.)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Can someone explain festival plaza because the whole thing feels like they forgot to translate it

I got the same feeling from Join Avenue back in generation 5. The dialog feels so stiff and unwieldy, like it was directly translated and not localized. It stands out badly compared to the rest of the game.

I primarily use it to order clothing I can't normally buy in my version.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Man, it's so much easier to dig into the more competitive scene now. Poké Pelago can max out EVs with ease and you can earn the ability to look at IVs directly from your PC boxes. Bottle caps can max out deficient IVs and Synchronize Abras and Everstones are easy to get a hold of. For the first time ever, I feel like I know what I'm doing (without having to dig into tedious menus).

I strode into the Battle Tree fully expecting to get whipped, but I made it through all 20 matches and got three of the Power items for breeding. I can't wait to transfer all my 2-3 perfect IV Pokémon from X and Y's friend safari.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I know this is old news by now, but I love this:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Ooh, I'd love a Destiny Knot. My code is 5086-1559-1599. IGN: Luna

And I'd like a Mareanie too, DACK FAYDEN.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 28, 2016

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

thehoodie posted:

Thanks to both Dizz and DACK FAYDEN!

Yeah! Thanks for the giveaways, you two.

Edit: Yes, the Crabrawler is from the berry tree in Poni Plains.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

If only real barn owlets were that cute.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I'm hopping aboard the Beast Ball bandwagon too with a Leavanny and Luxio to start. It's oddly fun to breed more Pokémon in rare balls. (Possibly one of the funnest mechanics changes they've made, IMO.) Hope we can get more of those darned apricorn balls in the future.

I normally stay well away from cheating, but a perfect Ditto to make legit, good quality Pokémon with is very tempting.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Khanstant posted:

I've been leaving something up overnight. vanillite, or others. I also let em sit for a few hours. Today I had a female vanillite up for 4-5 hours and never got a carvanha. It's weird because the first couple of days I was able to get several UBs and and a Type Null for just rowletts and pretty easy to get stuff.

Yeah, now that the initial rush is over, I can't move the starters for anything good. Even the female ones don't seem to get anything appropriately rare, so Castforms it is.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I would love a Vulpix! My FC is 5086-1559-1599. IGN is Luna.

Edit: Thank you. Enjoy your Skarmory in a rare ball.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 2, 2016

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Blaziken386 posted:

:stare: Why are Castform so dang sought-after on the GTS? I've gotten both a Celesteel and a Cosmog so far from them.
Like, Mareanie I can accept being GTS-gold. It's a 'mon that's a pain in the rear end to catch, and it's a new pokemon. Castform's also a pain to catch, but it's a GEN THREE pokemon! One that you're guaranteed to get in ORAS. And it's not particularly good, either.
Boggles the mind, really.
But hey! Free legends. I'm not complaining.

I wish I could get things like Weavile or Porygon2 for them. You'd think people would jump to trade for Castform in a beast ball with egg moves and good IVs...

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Supremezero posted:

I got Weavile for one in like 5 minutes.

I've left up offers like that for hours, with no bites.

Well, at least anything that doesn't require a crappy hold item evolution is easy to trade for.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Chibs posted:

How long is this supposed to take? I've already run into 3 Goomys but Castform eludes me. Pressure+Orb+Rain right? Been a few hours now

If you have access to the GTS, just trade for it. It's not worth suffering that much.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Speaking of trading for rare things, I really need to purge some of my Pokémon. I've got Wimpod in Fast Balls, Trapinch in Friend Balls, Dhelmise in Lure Balls, Skarmory in Heavy Balls, and Snow Warning Vulpix, Sewaddle, and Shinx in Beast Balls. Anything with hidden abilities, rare balls, or useful egg moves would be cool, but I'll take random trash for them too.

FC: 5086-1559-1599 IGN: Luna

I've joined the Discord server if it would make it easier.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
tyblazitar, I'll take a Geodude.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I ended up going to sleep early and missed out on several offers. Sorry! I've still got them:

quote:

I really need to purge some of my Pokémon. I've got Wimpod in Fast Balls, Trapinch in Friend Balls, Dhelmise in Lure Balls, Skarmory in Heavy Balls, and Snow Warning Vulpix, Sewaddle, and Shinx in Beast Balls. Almost all of them have good to outstanding IVs. Anything with hidden abilities, rare balls, or useful egg moves would be cool, but I'll take random trash for them too.

FC: 5086-1559-1599 IGN: Luna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Have you unlocked Isle Evelup's final upgrade? As long as you're not in a hurry, it's a very easy way to EV train.