Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

In my 18 years of playing Pokemon, I have never been interested enough to watch a video to see a Pokemon pre-release. Today, Sandygast and Palossand changed all that. :iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Combee vs. Articuno was like having test anxiety.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Confession time: I've actually always enjoyed the Hoenn region's design, and find the water routes near the end fun. Diving feels like exploring for secrets, and it's a great place to level up and evolve weaker mons by putting an overpowered grass type, and overpowered electric type, and go to town. Then again, I like sliding tile puzzles, and I understand how that could be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Confession: as a kid I stopped playing Pokémon after ruby. Are Gen 4 and 5 worth it and do they run on a 3ds? If I only played once of them before sun and moon, which one?

Yes and yes. Though when you see how the prices have been driven up by Pokemon Go, you might decide to hold off. Many are at low stock with Platinum is $119, and SoulSilver $319, Heartgold $99 :stonk:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

So, after 18 years, my younger sister has finally gotten into Pokemon (Thank you, Pokemon Go and the Poke Amie feature in Generation VI)! She speaks Spanish pretty well, so she wants to help me out with going to Spanish speaking communities and making trades. :getin: Does anyone happen to know any good Spanish-speaking Pokemon trading communitites?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Not sure if we've had this discussion already, but what are everyone's least favorite pokemon?

I can usually find at least some good or accept the design of most Pokemon, but Smeargle is just SO ugly to me. How are the contours such an unholy combination of round and straight? Why is it's tail painting the worst shade of green on the entire visible color spectrum? Why, out of a game that has a trash bag and an ice cream cone, do I think that a beagle with a French hat is the dumbest concept. :iiam:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Some things to keep in mind for breeding that make it go faster (not that you're having trouble) are:

Pokemon of the same species make eggs more often
Pokemon with different Trainer IDs make eggs more often
Pokemon of the same species with different Trainer IDs make eggs the most often
Pokemon of different species, but still in the same egg group, and the same Trainer ID WILL eventually produce eggs. It just takes longer. As long as the Daycare person says anything besides "The two prefer to play with other Pokemon," you will get an egg.

The Key Item called the Oval Charm, which you get from the Professor for completing the Regional Pokedex, makes Pokemon produce eggs more often across the board.

Also, females pass down their Pokeball to their offspring; genderless Pokemon cannot inherit Pokeballs by any means whatsoever. :( This makes me sad.

Thanks!. I've only ever bred a little bit to fill out my Pokedex, so I had no idea all these mechanics existed.

Also, I always liked Blitzball more in FFX-2 better, probably because it was more of a "Blitzball Manager 2003" type of thing. Nearly everyone seems to hate that opinion, though.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

"Oh, a Custap berry? I've never seen one of those in my game of Pokemon X, why don't I just look up how to get o-"
:stare:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

The Victini that is now available does not know V-Create. Bulbapedia claims that there was a Japan-only serial code giveaway of Victinis with V-Create. I wonder if gen 7 will allow it to be tutored or something, or it will remain an event-exclusive move.

This matters, of course, because I got to decide what nature I want mine to have.

I'm gonna restart my game of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire this month to event farm some Victinis and trade them for event Pokemon from earlier this year. I've got some time tomorrow, so I can get you an extra one probably. Just let me know what natures you would like, and I can soft reset until I get one. If you have something cool to trade, awesome, if not, NP.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought you weren't allowed to put pokemon received via mystery gift on the GTS?

You can trade them with people on your 3DS friends list, though. Also, I'm part of other Pokemon trading communities to meet other people who want to trade legendaries, etc..

ETA: Which reminds me, if you have a PAL 3DS (Europe, Australia, New Zealand), right now you can get a Darkrai Mystery Gift by using the code DARKRAI2016. There's also a Mewoth with the move Happy Hour with the code HAPPY. No idea when they end, but both started recently.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 1, 2016

Catalina
May 20, 2008

mmkay posted:

Thanks for the heads up, where do you get the information about the codes from by the way?

:ssh: Reddit

Serebii.net also has a list of current event Pokemon sorted by region.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Munchlax is adorable and I reset my game of Pokemon X 10 times so I could get a female Snorlax to be it's mother instead of a Ditto.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I redeemed a code for a guy that was some Singaporean Pikachu that was only given out at a certain cafe and could only be redeemed in NA or JPN? Looking at the guy's post history, he had paid $10 for the code. I mean, I don't mind, when the hell am I ever going on a trip to Singapore, or spend $10 on a Pokemon... but man; that's just scary to me, spending $10 on a Pokemon and giving the code to an internet stranger.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

I just want to be friends with Guzma and also beat him up.

Also I'm poor and games are like $100+ here.

What region is your 3DS? And what country are you from, if you don't mind me asking? You might be able to cheese having an English eshop/Amazon buying a digital copy/code of the game and giving it to you.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

I have an asian 3DS, and combined with the horrible exchange rate, something that cost $40 bucks is around $160. A digital copy might be cheaper but I'm not sure if I really want such a large game in my 3DS.

Hm, I've helped people with this kind of stuff before (though not this exact case), if you want me to try and see what I can find out, PM me or whatever. For example, if it's not your exchange rate with US dollars that's the problem, Play Asia sells in US dollars and ships anywhere in the world (From Hong Kong, I think). Say you were getting the multi-language Asian version of Pokemon Moon: the cost would be $50+ shipping
http://www.play-asia.com/pokemon-moon-multi-language/13/709x4j

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Are there any hidden benefits to linking my Pokemon Moon game to Pokemon GL, like in X/Y when you could do dumb minigames for rare berries, or is it just battle and mission stuff?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

financially racist posted:

someone reminded me of wigglytuff's incredible sprite in the original japanese release of green and red and now i own a pokemon green cart

help i've made a horrible mistake

No you haven't. :wooper:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

You guys, I have just become the victim of a NERD CRIME. I put a code for one of the Salazzle's up for trade on the popular Pokemon trading Reddit, and I got phished by someone who hacked a Pokemon and traded it with me as legitimate. I think it's freaking hilarious, the guy kept up a facade for 30 minutes while they traded and redeemed it for whatever nature they wanted, sending all these made up details. I had the moderators come and have and extract data from the mon I traded to determine it as absolutely, positively, a hacked Pokemon and I had been used SCAMMED.
No problem for me, I put it in my folder for Totally Legitimate Pokemon, along with a shiny Meowth in a Master Ball from a Wonder Trade. Remember kids: Pokemon is Serious Business. There are Bad Internet People out there who will spend half an hour trying to scam you out of a low tier event.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

oddium posted:

what did they send

A shiny Torracat v:v:v They said it was something like completely battle ready, which I had no idea what it meant because I'm just here to fill the Pokedex, but apparently that means level 100 with uber stats?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I always feel like other long-term Pokemon fans have very detailed opinions about specific gameplay aspects and can compare them at a moment's notice, and meanwhile I've been here since Red and Blue, and my opinions are like, "Yeah, I enjoy buying a new Pokemon game when a new one comes out. The 3DS one was cool because it let you pet the Oddish. And oh yeah, the DS one had the Ice Cream Cone one, which I thought I wouldn't like because it seemed like a dumb idea, but now it's one of my favorites."

Catalina
May 20, 2008

That is pure :psyduck:
Burning your games on a charcoal grill, that's one thing. Totally relatable, and I'm sure we've all done it once or twice in our lives. But trading your games in for Gamestop prices? Pure insanity.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I haven't played my 3DS since the charging cord died in a chair leg related hit-and-run, and I don't trust Amazon to not send me some kind of dubious"Nintendo branded" charger that has a good chance of burning my house down. Well, I've been wanting to load my old file on Pokemon Moon for the first time in ages, so I decided to go with Gamestop. I guess it's been a couple years since I last went in an actual store, and I somehow always manage to forget why, and figured since I was out of town and in the area, I might as well pick one up in-store instead of ordering it online, so I went to wait.
It was so terrible. It took me a while to find the section for 3DS Accessories, since there were ACCESSORIES signs in all of the Xbox and PS4 sections, and the only thing they had in the 3DS section was one little refurbished charger that was dubiously clean, but I figured, what the hell for $7, I'm already here.
I got to the third place in line, and there was only one guy running the register, and in addition the corporate time-consuming nonsense trying to sell people warranties for their games, and get them to join the membership program, he spent forever talking to every customer, getting into like a 7 minute discussion about Dragon Ball Z figures with the guy ahead of me, even though people were queuing behind me and I'm slowly dying on the inside as bored actors on a TV screen are repeatedly trying to hawk new toys you could buy. When I got to the register, there was a computer error with my customer file because I hadn't bought something in over a year, and then finally, FINALLY I got out.
Well, when I get home, I open the bag, and try to plug in the charger and...it doesn't fit. I look at the tiny print on the bag and it says "Nintendo DS Lite charger". Which they had put in the 3DS section. So now I have to do an exchange when the Gamestop is an hour and a half round trip, and I can't even pet my Diancie and Magearna! :sassargh:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Is anyone having trouble getting a Khanghaskhan? I can help. :smug:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh my God, it’s a Gen 1 remake where you can insert yourself into like you’re in a mixture of the most fun aspects of the anime, manga, and original games mixed media franchise, why are you guys trying to make this so hard on yourselves?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

slave to my cravings posted:

lol the game cost 60$ man sorry for expecting a little more

No, I don't mean the gameplay, which I agree $60 is pretty steep for. I mean trying to figure out where this fits in with canon, and timelines, and whatnot.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Amppelix posted:

This may shock you but some people have fun thinking about these kinds of things

No memes outside of the meme threads is a good global rule, but it still makes me very sad that I would get probated if I posted the shocked Pikachu picture as a response to this.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

BrainDance posted:

Right, but it has to be a different gen1 since apparently these are the first Pokedexes Oak made.

I think the old guy in Lt. Surge's gym still talks about being in the war, so I'm gonna say definitely, of course there was. It's the only explanation.

Oh God, so sorry to offend you by having fun with the story in a RPG. Can you please forgive me?

I think we all know that the first rule of the online Pokemon club is No Having Fun With Pokemon.

Anyway, I was reading the discussion as literal and didn't realize people were having fun figuring out stuff and not being pedantic, so that was my error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Yinlock posted:

the GTS made trading pokemon far too easy and fun, thank goodness we're back to normal

getting these last few trades is like finding a needle in a haystack

yes i want an eevee version trader

do you have a koffing, yes your level 100 mewtwo is very impressive, but that koffing though

no how about a meowth

no i don't care about your dragonite

Are you still in need of more Eevee exclusives? I have a bunch saved up for trading, and some of the Pikachu exclusives wouldn't hurt, either. :)

We have a goon trading thread here on the Private Games Servers forum, and I do pretty well on the active reddits for pokemontrades, too.