Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
First time player. I've started on my old Nintendo DS with a REALLY old Japanese copy of Fire Red (because I wanted all or most of the Gen I's), and I have a copy of Soul Silver waiting for when that's done. I was under the impression that I could eventually transfer up to a recent enough version in order to get my stuff into the Pokemon Bank, but I think I've hit a snag...

I'm moving back to the US soon, so it'll be a bit harder to snag cheap copies of the Japanese versions. Plus, I'd like to eventually switch back to English.

Nintendo DS is region-free, so I should be able to use a NA copy of something from Gen V and then transfer to the Pokemon Bank, but:
A) Can I do the transfer thing (the "Poke Transfer Lab on Route 15"?) if my Gen IV game is JP and my Gen V game is NA?
B) Can Gen V games on a DS (not 3DS) still connect to the Pokemon Bank?

If both A and B are "no", that would mean that I'd have to get a Japanese 3DS to get my stuff from Gen IV -> Gen V -> Pokemon Bank -> Gen VI and beyond...

Heres where I'm getting my info: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/12/how-to-trade-pokemon-between-every-generation

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Dabir posted:

You can get every gen 1 except Koffing and Weezing in X/Y so lol @ u

Well poo poo. Guess I'll just wait till I get to the US and buy a drat 3DS and X / Y :(

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Pentaro posted:

Nor Rattata. I remember yanking all sorts of legendaries just after Bank dropped.

Here, because I have nothing better to do with my time (hence I started playing Pokemon), I checked against some GameFaqs list of all the mons you can get in X/Y. The Gen 1 mons you can't get in X/Y are:

Rattata / Raticate
Clefairy / Clefable
Vulpix / Ninetales
Paras / Parasect
Venonat / Venomoth
Meowth / Persian
Mankey / Primeape
Growlithe / Arcanine
Ponyta / Rapidash
Seel / Dewgong
Grimer / Muk
Drowzee / Hypno
Krabby / Kingler
Hitmonlee / Hitmonchan
Koffing / Weezing
Chansey
Tangela
Electabuzz
Magmar
Porygon
Omanyte / Omastar
Kabuto / Kabutops
Mew

So, 40/151. Although some of those (obviously Meowth, for example) will probably show up in Sun/Moon, though.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
My kid has already named about half of hers the same as Arino did. Not sure if that's good or bad, tho.