Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This might be the only gen where I don't use a starter because I don't care much for the final form of Rowlet and my brother has dibs on Poppilo's. Its not even that I think its bad, there are just so many new designs I like more than it.

Aristide posted:

A japanese gaming mag (and in turn, serebii.net) has confirmed that hyper training maxes out the IV in whatever stat you pick. No word yet on how rare the bottlecaps used to access hyper training are going to be though, or what tiers they come in if any (although the item being called "silver" bottlecap does give the impression of at least a gold bottlecap existing).

Still, to live in a world where I can raise the stats of my adorable war machines using pogs? Who knew this is what the future would hold. :allears:

A cool feature I will barely ever use since breeding a 5Iv pokemon is actually really easy when you have a 6 IV ditto. Raising them to level 100 would take more effort.

But now my shiny Pinsir can be perfect instead of near perfect so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah while raising IVs is all well and good, nature is even more important for competitive play. The wrong nature can completely break a pokemon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Watchog looks cool but he's total garbage in terms of stats so :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ruggington posted:

here's mine

What's with the Liligant

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

According to this site my team of all-time favorites would be:

Are my tastes good, or poo poo?

Get rid of the Garchomp and they are fine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Countblanc posted:

The Sandcastle's ability sucks, I can't believe it doesn't get Arena Trap or Sand Stream. I'll shout this from the rooftops until the day I die.

Yeah it seems really bad. Raising your defense when you get hit by a super effective move is already not that great since you're already heavily wounded. But its raising defense against water attacks, which are almost always special. So what, it can get hit by surf one turn and then die to it the next? Great.

Hopefully it will have a hidden ability that's actually good.

EDIT: Oh I guess since we're all doing this

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 20, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

qnqnx posted:

The genies did nothing wrong.

Their therian forms did EVERYTHING wrong.

Ban all legendaries from all online formats forever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PSWII60 posted:

I'm really feeling Punchycrab and SnowSandslash if he is semi fast.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Snowslash is explicitly stated to be slower than regular Sandslash. Its supposed to be more defensive, which is why they gave it a god awful type for defense! :shepface:

Pureauthor posted:

What will everyones reactions be when Sun/Moon comes out and is revelaed to be completely terrible?

I'm not even sure what they could do at this point to make the game awful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Super No Vacancy posted:

togetic is cute but togekiss is fail, there's an opinion for ya

This is a correct opinion. Togekiss is hideous.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FishBulb posted:

Your feelings and opinions are hideous

Fortunately I am not a Pokemon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
ORAS was disappointing to me because the Battle Resort was just copy-pasted from X/Y for the most part. The Battle Frontier was probably the 3rd gens coolest feature and they just didn't include it. The Delta Episode was also insanely mediocre so that didn't make up for the lack of it at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Team Flare's goal makes sense if you view them as ultra selfish assholes that read too much Atlas Shrugged. Wipe out most of the world's population so that only the best and brightest will be left, preventing its natural beauty from being tarnished by over-consumption.

But they tried to paint Lysandre as not being a total rear end in a top hat so it doesn't work.

Raserys posted:

i miss admins

Team Flare had admins.

EDIT: Galactic is the only team I remember barely anything about so they're probably the worst, which would make sense given they are in the worst gen.

VVV Yes, everyone in Team Flare is a rich idiot that got roped in by Lysandre. By paying 5 mil pokebucks you get a slick suit and the privilege of living in Lysdanre's Gulch once he builds it.

I'm not sure how many of them knew he was gonna kill 99% of the world in the process.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 21, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Plasma is my favorite team because I never get tired of the grunts screaming PLAAAAASMAAAAAAA everytime you kick their rear end.

Its also fun to laugh at N because he's a tremendous loser.

Johnny Joestar posted:

with the way they're being presented, as kind of a misfit gang of people who couldn't cut it, i really get the feeling that they're going to come off as entirely bad at first but over time you all actively work together to save the islands. because, you know, without the islands team skull doesn't exactly have a home and it's more important to preserve that than to just gently caress around and block off roads or whatever hoodlum poo poo they're going to be doing.

Alternatively Guzma will try to nuke all the islands. Could go either way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My first shiny was a Roselia I caught in the original Ruby. I lost it somewhere between the generations. If transferring from old games wasn't such a pain in the rear end I might go looking for it. Not because I actually care about it but rather because I'd also find the two mews I used to have. Trying to get event mons sucks.

The first (and only) shiny I got that I actually care about is my Pinsir, which I spent a good chunk of time breeding for.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why would you ever use Basculin though

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hearing someone say Pyukumuku over and over makes me giggle.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Alabaster White posted:

Magcargo is cool but loving blows tremendous donkey rear end

Sad but true. He was one of my favorite pokemon as a kid but he's just unbearably awful now.

Zoness posted:

magcargo was my preferred egg hatching guy until they made talonflame who can both speed up eggs hatching and fly in one slot :rip:

At least if they keep soar then having fly won't really be necessary.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Super No Vacancy posted:

what the heck is carbink

Extremely cute

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Geostomp posted:

This "minigame" is about as underwhelming as a real sea cucumber, but 20000 Poke-bucks ain't bad.

It'd be better with an animation of you punting the Pyukus into the sea.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Remember when everyone thought there must be M-Farchet'd because a guy at the start of the game will trade you one, and why else would they draw attention to it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

QuasiQuack posted:

Wanting to use cool mons is making me really bad at team building :saddowns:

Winning with your favorite Pokemon is the best feeling though, even if they are suboptimal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zore posted:

I really, really hate those two assholes with the Furfrou double battle on the way back from Poke-Versailles.

Those Furfrou ate my Skitty :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Enjoy your Furret.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Imagine if they gave genesect a primal evolution so it doesn't look dumb as hell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bongo Bill posted:

I want Primal Relicanth.

People keep saying this but wouldn't a primal Relicanth just be exactly the same

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

mandatory lesbian posted:

am i supposed to think thats a bad thing

all cops are bad, amigo

You're gonna get a beating

Zodack posted:

You mean Kabutops?

Kabutops isn't a bug type :colbert:

HoneyBoy posted:

drat I think I actually remember that comic

Wasn't the art of Nuzleaf drawn like Locke from Lost

Yeah and that's where the name Nuzlocke comes from. I have no idea why people went with that though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I still don't get why they didn't make Mismagius ghost/fairy. It needed some kind of boost.

He's trying so hard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Awhile ago I thought dual types weren't added until Gen 2 for some reason. I'm not sure why.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ruggington posted:

i spent 4 generations thinking rock was weak to ice

i also had to tell a lot of other kids that rock wasn't immune to electric

Of course it isn't, didn't they watch the anime and see Pikachu beat Onix???

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ghost/Rock would actually be a pretty good offensive type for a fast pokemon so I'm sad there isn't one of those yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

mabels big day posted:

its less that dragon is overpowered as a type, and more that they made very powerful pokemon Dragon type

Yeah dragon itself isn't that amazing of a type. There are plenty of mediocre dragon types now. In the old generations, dragon was reserved for grossly overpowered legendaries or the 600 stat pseudo-legendaries.

Nobody is trembling in fear at Druddigon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fairy being added to the game was good overall but ice has never been more horrible than it is now. With fairy types being immune to dragons AND hitting them super effectively, ice types lost their position as dragon slayers. The only thing it has going for it is that it hits a lot of dragon types for 4x damage due to them being dragon/flying or dragon/ground. That just means you carry ice moves on other pokemon though.

Russad posted:

How do people handle gifted pokes in a Nuzlocke? I'm thinking specifically of the gen I starter you get in X/Y.

I'm looking for a challenge, but it's also my first one and I'm already down to two dudes before the first gym battle.

I just ignore them usually. For me the fun of Nuzlocke is using pokemon you didn't expect to use, which means ignoring ones that are always handed to you aside from the starter.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Abomasnow has the niche of canceling your opponents weather with hail. Hail is so lovely you never have to worry about the enemy benefiting from it! :shepface:

mandatory lesbian posted:

the first dragon legend wasn't until gen 3, which is really weird but gamefreak gonna gamefreak i guess

I was counting up to gen 4 as old gens in that post. I was thinking they didn't start adding mediocre dragons until gen 4 but I completely forgot that Altaria exists and is inexplicably a dragon. So I guess it has the dubious honor of being the first crummy dragon.

Gen 2 didn't even add a dragon type.

EDIT: Wait no it added Kingdra, forgot him too. Kingdra is good though, despite not being a stat freak.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 25, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zore posted:

I refuse to believe anyone has ever used Beat Up.

Its a gimmick strategy. I saw people use a Whimsicott to Beat UP a Terrakoin on their team in doubles. They got a huge attack boost, and then the Terrakoin died before doing anything because I'm not an idiot and just killed it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Milotic is a hag fish.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Whiscash owns. He might be overshadowed by Gastrodon but I still used him with good success on my teams. He has pretty good coverage with hydro pump, earth power, and ice beam.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Serena is a major chump but she has a nice hat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bartie posted:

I wonder if there's even the slightest chance of Gamefreak rebalancing the game for Sun & Moon. It's kind of sad that with over 700 to chose from only a handful are viable in competitive play.

This isn't actually the case. There are tons of viable Pokemon, its just that most of them are outclassed by a Pokemon that does their job better. You can still use them perfectly fine. There are also plenty of Pokemon that aren't outclassed at all but are just ignored because a bunch of the people that play Pokemon don't actually go through the effort to make a team. They just look up whatever dominates the current meta and clone that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bartie posted:

With 700+ it's bound to have tiers and many pokemon are unevolved versions and so on, but it's not like there isn't room for improvement. League of Legends has over a hundred characters and manage just fine. I'm just saying that it's really boring watching Groudon vs Kyogre ad nauseum. :v:

League of Legends is one of the worst examples you could use for this because a bunch of characters in that are completely ignored in the competitive meta.

And yes when you allow legendaries poo poo gets really reptitive, but that's why you stick to the normal competitive formats where they aren't allowed. I have no idea why they thought letting them into VGC this year was a good idea.

Ruggington posted:

don't play vgc then

Sometimes the VGC format is good though. The ruleset they used for X/Y that only allowed Kalos dex Pokemon was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The number of dark void Smeargles listed there is upsetting me.

Calaveron posted:

Lotsa legendaries, I thought legendaries were banned and stuff
And man is that bell pokemon super popular. What's his deal

They normally are. For some stupid reason they were allowed this year.

Bronzong is a really tanky steel/psychic type. He fell out of favor after steel lost its dark and ghost resistance, but he was good against a lot of popular picks in that tournament's meta.