Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Competitive Pokemon: I lost because I predicted my opponent doing the smart move and instead they did something that makes no goddamn sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bongo Bill posted:

What matters is what fits in your team. If you want to use Xatu anyway, you can construct a team that Xatu's unique skills fit perfectly in, but it'll be hard to use. The mainstream competitive metagame isn't so much defined by the best pokemon as it is by the ones that are easiest to use well. And, of course, the popular ones become easier still because more analysis of them is published.

This is a good way to explain it. There are plenty of unconventional teams that can work, but it takes a lot more effort and experimentation on your part to refine them. The most popular teams on Battlespot are the ones you can just read some guide about and throw out with no thought on your part.

Zore posted:

Rhydon can learn Surf.

Rhydon can learn a lot of weird bullshit

That's gen 1 for you. So many pokemon can learn moves they would never have if they got added in a modern game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Actually don't because being frozen sucks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Calaveron posted:

Man I hope Sun Moon lets you customize your character more in depth. I wanna be fat as all hell

You'll be a 10 year old boy/girl forever. At least now you can change to a darker skin tone.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Super No Vacancy posted:

carnivine is so bad no one even remembers it exists

I remember him because he has a big goofy smile. Also you catch him in the same place as Skorupi, so in my head he's friends with Drapion, who is extremely cool and good.

But yeah he's pretty poo poo gameplay wise. Been around for 3 generations and he still only has one ability that isn't particularly great for him.

EDIT: Also Carnivine has a really cool cry.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 29, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bartie posted:

The worst pokemon:

:chloe:

Forretress is amazing what the gently caress is wrong with you

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Isn't this this the villain from M&L Superstar Saga?

greatn posted:

People rag on their original Pokemon do not steal being so grim dark but really there not much more than as hairs breadth away from how weirdly dark and sinister some actual Pokemon are.

Drifloon poses as a balloon so little children grab him and then takes them to the underworld(or tries to but they're too heavy). That new sandcastle one gives babies out that are born from the malice of the small Pokemon it has defeated and eaten. One of my favorite thing about the Pokédex is the ridiculously foreboding atmosphere compared to the lightheartedness of literally everything else in the series.

(Though I agree those uranium designs are weak, mostly)

Yeah some of the ghost pokemon have really sinister entries, but they aren't straight up "THIS IS A POKEMON THAT DIED FROM ABUSE AND NEGLECT HOW SAD".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

greatn posted:

Every single Cubone wears the skull of its dead mother who was killed.

Cubones are all a bunch of melodramatic babies wearing fake skulls. Ever since breeding was added, their dex entry made zero sense.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The gently caress is wrong with Gliscor?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The thing that bugs me about knock off is that you'd think sticky hold would neuter it but you still take the bonus damage despite not losing your item. So its still an underwhelming ability.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Not sure if we've had this discussion already, but what are everyone's least favorite pokemon?

Legendaries suck.

If you count megas this changes a lot though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

QuasiQuack posted:

Shaymin is literally the cutest pokemon what the duck

It turns into a stupid sky dog thing that is awful though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ometeotl posted:

Gardevoir is the worst Pokemon, end of discussion.

Its not really fair to blame it for what Deviantart does.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gallade is dumb and bad. Male Krilia deserve to be fabulous by becoming Gardevoirs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When B/W first came out I thought Vanilluxe was one of the worst pokemon ever. Now he's my favorite ice type. I dunno why but the dumb thing grew on me.

Calaveron posted:

What generations is mewtwo catchable in

Red/Blue, FireRed/LeafGreen, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and X/Y.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GlitchThief posted:

It sounds like VGC uses a restrictive format that all-but requires cheating to compete in. Given that Smogon has competitive tiers and Showdown lets you just enter the values you want anyway, it sounds to my noob ears like that is the more fun way to play.

Maybe I'll give it a look after I beat Sun.

The format VGC uses changes by season, When its not a stupid one where legendaries are allowed to run rampant, its not hard to make a proper team without hacking.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pentaro posted:

More poo poo opinions: I've never cared about Goodra, I feel it's a step back design-wise. Its first two stages are super adorable, and then it shits the bed and becomes a fat anime. :(

Goodra is the worst. I like Goomy and think Sliggoo is super adorable and amazing. One of my favorite designs. Then instead of continuing with the snail theme, it turns into a pink goopy version of Dragonite. It doesn't even keep its little slimy shell!

Sometimes I'm tempted to come up with an eviolite Sligoo strat but I know it wouldn't effective at all in doubles.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How can you possibly describe Barbaracle as an edgelord of all things

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Diancie is just further proof that event pokemon are awful. Could of been a cool Carbink evolution, but instead its a completely separate thing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Actually mega beedrill is the best because its loving beedrill and it can actually kill stuff! :eyepop:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought you weren't allowed to put pokemon received via mystery gift on the GTS?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lucario and Zorark are both trash pokemon that look like Deviantart OCs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This song is fused into my brain more than any other Pokemon song just because of how much I heard it biking back and forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YygRV5AwEGg

Also am I the only one who thinks hidden power is a dumb move?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
All the music from the old gens is held back by the crummy sound quality.

Maybe in 15 years they'll remake B2/W2 and I can hear Colress' ridiculous theme in high quality.

VVV Cynthia is a boring tryhard. Alder is the best champ. He uses three bug types!

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 3, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bongo Bill posted:

I like the fact that mega evolutions are amplified versions of the standard design. It sort of sets an upper bound for the essential complexity of a pokemon's design. A design that exceeds a certain degree of complexity looks unusual in a pokemon, so linking that excess to something that makes it also mechanically special is a good decision.

Agreed. Like, I think Mega Mawlie would be a stupid evolution but as a mega evolution it works perfectly.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No pokemon will be as cool as BanchoLillymon or BanchoLeomon.

I tried googling to see what these were and the results were...questionable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mega Diancie might as well not exist.

Emalde posted:

I think the particular example you chose doesn't fit (I think M-Mawile is a perfect actual evolution), but for most of them I agree.

I figured it was a good exmaple of a mega just being the regular pokemon with more poo poo glued on. I guess a better one would be Pinsir, who mostly just gets a pair of sweet wings. Would be weird as an evolution but works fine as a mega.

Johnny Joestar posted:

digimon transcend the ideas of 'good' and 'bad' and exist in their own category entirely

Nah they're just bad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I completely forgot that there was a Digimon that was just a cactus with boxing gloves. That rules.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know all I really remember about Digimon is that in the show I watched as a kid, they were fighting some veiny blob monster that was melting the whole planet. It was weird.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The correct nature is way more important but if you are playing competitive you really shouldn't settle for imperfect IVs. If you're breeding properly, you can always guarantee the hatched mon gets the nature you want. From there its just a matter of time until you get a pokemon with max IVs in its important stats.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah, Kamen Rider Digimon was pretty rad, actually. Except near the end of the series where only 2 of the 6 kids could help in battle at all, but that's a problem the show shares with Adventure and 02.

Weren't all the kids in every series overshadowed by the designated protagonist being the one that does the most important poo poo?

One thing I do vaguely recall about the Digimon shows is that when they moved on to new seasons, time actually progressed and the old characters showed up as young adults. I thought that was neat cause I compared it directly with Pokemon where everyone seems to be frozen in time.

The Zombie Guy posted:

How do I do this? Do both parents need the same nature? I'm trying to hatch a Heracross with Adamant nature. I've bred a male Crustle with female Heracross in order to get the Rock Blast move.

If either parents is holding an everstone during breeding, every pokemon they produce will inherit the nature. You should read this page on breeding, it explains a lot of tricks you can do with various held items to guarantee certain results in breeding.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_breeding

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Snow Warning is Abomasnow's entire selling point. With both its normal and mega forms having Snow Warning, you have two opportunities to nullify the opponents weather. Not having hail up means Abomasnow can't use blizzard with perfect accuracy either.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Super No Vacancy posted:

I just saw and got my first clawitzer and I think this is the best fish

Shrimp aren't fish

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What kind of idiot hates Doublade, or the rest of the Aegislash line for that matter?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In my Nuzlocke X/Y run my Tauros got OHKOd by a crit focus blast and I was forced to replace him with a Delibird. I spent like 25 minutes getting the Delibird up to an acceptable level, and then in it first fight ever it got killed by a crit night slash from full HP :geno:

When you beat the pyschic gym in X/Y, is that when the whole Flare apocalypse plot starts or is there one more route before that?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ubone is a really pretty design and I'm sad its probably that dumb girl and not a pokemon you can actually catch.

Typer: Null is literally what a 12 year old would make and I'm not sure if I hate or love it for that. The name sucks though.

Everything else looks cool as hell.

EDIT: Except the edgelord in Team Skull, he also sucks.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 6, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Also if the Aether guys are evil they are probably evil in the same way Colress was.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

El Burbo posted:

He's cool. He's doing Jojo poses and cluthing his hand and if he's containing his powers. A literal chuuni

He's gonna get all his pokemon KO'd without even damaging mine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If I can't shove the ultra beasts into a ball then they don't belong in this world.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pokemon is dreadful when it tries to do serious villain plots so I wouldn't get your hopes up either way. Just enjoy Guzma while he remains a goofy gangster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Flopsy posted:

The last decade must've been hell for you.

X/Y is the only time they've really tried to do a main villain that had a really serious, dark goal. I mean B/W and their sequel had the whole "pokemon slavery" thing but that was just a facade for Ghestis being your standard bad dude.

Zore posted:

When hasn't pokemon had a serious villain plot? Like even Rocket took itself seriously what with the mafia taking over buildings and taking people hostage and poo poo.

X/Y. Team Flare itself was goofy at the start but Lysandre was presented in a very serious light, and his goal was very dark for the series. It didn't work at all of course.

Space T Rex posted:

I've always wanted a pokemon game where the plot takes you to the moon, where you discover Mega Clefairy and bring home Mega Moon stones for mega Nidoking/Queen.

One of the rumors thrown around my school as a kid was that you could do something to get the space station at Mossdeep to launch you on a rocket to the moon. That's where you could catch Deoxys! :downs: