Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Is this

quote:

With Super Training you could increase EVs no problem, but with Hyper Training you can increase IVs of level 100 Pokemon using bottle caps. This wasn't possible before, as IVs were set when you got a Pokemon and could not be changed in any way. Now your main story friends can be used in gruelling competitive!

Actually confirmed? It seemed pretty vague when described.

Also Sylveon sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Brother Entropy posted:

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/max-out-your-pokemon-with-hyper-training/

they don't literally use the words 'Individual Values' but what else could this be referring to

It could be a new subsystem, like some of the affection bonuses you can get in Aime that don't affect competitive, but yeah its probably IVs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

Can we ban the "subjective opinion presented as objective fact" meme from this thread? Thank you all for your cooperation.

e: why isn't there a word filter for "Cool and Good" yet?

Cool and Good isn't a meme in the places admins actually read.

Also the word filter craze has died down a lot and is mostly limited to cucking, hth, im gay (aka GBS memes) and political poo poo now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I hope the new Pseudo-Legendary line is cool.

It will be tough to live up to Goomy, but I have faith.

Are there any dragons in Hawaiian mythology?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

page 1 gumshoos

Also, I am glad we are back to having good Route 1 normal rodents after the horrible three streak of Bibarel, Watchog and Diggersby.

Gumshoos is definitely up there with Raticate, Furret and Linoone as a GoodTM design.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

this team is going to take me all the way to the top.

Also maybe Wimpod if he learns surf.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 19, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm using mimikyu and rowlett, beyond that, i don't know bc i make it up as i go along

to have 6 pokemon already picked out is abominable, what if something better comes along fool

Quietly replace one and pretend it never existed.

Rockruff was already unpersoned by Salandit. Who knows who will get cut next?

:ohdear:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also, I don't think its possible for Vikavolt and Mimikyu not to make my team tbh. I don't think I could cut them from a team made up of my favorite pokemon from every generation.

They're Scolipede, Tyrantrum and Sableye tier for me.

(rip Rotom, Murkrow who have been bumped off the list)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

as a Dragon Enthusiast what are the cool dragons this time around

I mean, definitely getting an alolan exeggutor, for starters.

These are the other two Dragons we know of

Turtonator- Fire/Dragon

Drampa- Normal/Dragon

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

This might be the only gen where I don't use a starter because I don't care much for the final form of Rowlet and my brother has dibs on Poppilo's. Its not even that I think its bad, there are just so many new designs I like more than it.

A cool feature I will barely ever use since breeding a 5Iv pokemon is actually really easy when you have a 6 IV ditto. Raising them to level 100 would take more effort.

But now my shiny Pinsir can be perfect instead of near perfect so that's cool.

Yeah, this means random Shinies can actually be good and usable which is great.

I'd love to actually be able to break out and use my cool shiny Charizard (with 3 Speed IVs)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

Dude, Watchog is great as a poor man's Technician Breloom. It has hypnosis and super fang, which is awesome for taking down high HP monsters.

Watchog looks like poo poo though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Raserys posted:

Most of the names have been pretty lame so far, imo

That started last gen really.

Talonflame anyone?

or Litleo, Barbaracle...

Dexie posted:

Bibarel and Watchog are cool and awesome friends, you nerd.

no

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

talonflame was probably my favorite gen 6 pokemon but yeah his name is not very creative

Its especially dumb because Fletchling is legit a fantastic pokemon name, and Fletchinder is passable as mid-evo name.

Talonflame is just the epitome of :effort:

Like I can imagine the scene with the translators

"gently caress, we already used up the good fire/bird puns we've thought up and this needs to be finalized tomorrow. Barry hit me with something!"

"Talon...flame??"

"...gently caress it, I don't care anymore, its going in."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
All Alolan pokemon seem to have really poo poo abilities even compared to their normal ones.

Vulpix/Ninetales get Snow Cloak vs. Flash Fire
Exeggutor gets Frisk vs Chlorophyll
Raichu gets Surge Surfer vs Static
Marowak gets Cursed Body vs Rock Head

And then Meowth gets the same abilities and Sandshrew/Sandslash switch Sand Cloak for Snow Cloak which is just :effort:

cheetah7071 posted:

"We need the name for the final evolution of a fire lizard"
"Char...izard??"

At least it attempts to combine two words.

A more apt comparison would be;

"We need the name for the final evolution of a fire lizard"
"Char...lizard??"

Yeah, Charlizard. Much like its comrades Blasttortoise and Venussaurus.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 19, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

I mean, Static and Rock Head aren't particularly good abilities :v:. I can think of at least one pokemon where I'd probably rather have cursed body than its normal ability (it's Giratina, but not Giratina-O).

Also Vulpix has an ability that isn't sunny day?

Those are just their normal abilities.

And yeah, Static isn't great but a chance or paralysis is almost definitely more useful than Surge Surfer.

Marowak does not have the moveset to actually use Rock Head (though ironically, it could have been good on Alolan Marowak if it gets Flare Blitz)

I wonder how they'll handle hidden abilites for these mons? Will Alolan Ninetales get Snow Warning?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Technician. Bullet Seed is such an insane upgrade over Seed Bomb. :getin:

Technician also means that you do not have to run Stone Miss.

I hope Breloom remains good in Gen VII.

I feel like it would be very hard for Breloom to become bad if it managed to survive Gen VI intact with all the insane flying priority flying around between Talonflame and Mega-Pinsir.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
People really don't respect the power of Swords Dance Scolipede on Showdown.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I don't need no stinking test to tell people my favorite Gen I-VI pokes

Scolipede, Tyrantrum, Sableye, Heliolisk, Leavanny, Venonat

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rangpur posted:

You I like.

Does it not? I'd have to watch the video again, but it looked like it's flat-out immune to Water attacks. Same way Lightning Rod works, basically.

No, it pretty clearly took damage from the Shellder's attack. Or it just had a supercut to it at 25% health for no reason.

It seems to work like Justified.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah

Aegislash/Delphox/Gogoat/Tyrantrum/Clawitzer/Pangoro was super fun for my first run of X/Y

Then

Charizard-Y/Hawlucha/Goodra/Greninja/Snorlax/Avalugg

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I'm trying to temper the hype. That's an important job!

...no?

Im going to be 3x as hype just to cancel this out.

HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

for some reason i really like castform, even to this day. the whole weather form thing is fun as hell.

Yeah Castform is good and fun.

I just wish it was better. Flat 70's across the board is real bad.

Especially when perennial punching bag Phione has 80's across the board.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I just got Alpha Sapphire and I want to know what are good and strong Pokemon to have in my team

Skarmory is fun and Numel is v. good if you never ever let it get near a puddle of water.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Togekiss is good.

Though the whole line is really weird and none of them seem to flow into the next at all.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

oddium posted:

they're birds who are also eggs

Togepi is an egg, Togetic absorbed its shell and grew wings and then Togekiss is a jet.

Like, I like all their designs but there's some serious whiplash between them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Lotad line, Ralts line, Taillow line, Aron line, Shroomish line, Slakoth line (no, really), Elektrike line, Trapinch line, any of the starters...Apart from those last two, all of them are available before the second gym. ORAS probably has the best assortment of early Pokémon of any game in the series. It's one of the only things I'll rank it over other entries.

Later in the game you get access to a bunch of good water types like Corphish, Feebas, and Spheal, but they're almost too late. And of course, poo poo wreckers like Beldum and Bagon who also come super late, but are amazing.

What? ORAS has some of the shittiest early selection of any game in the series, especially when we just came off X/Y which is literally objectively the best. Especially since they locked some stuff you used to be able to get early in R/S/E until later!

The only games that are worse are B/W1 and its a close thing.

:psyduck:

Like, you have access to more than sixty lines of pokemon before the second gym in X/Y. Including things like Tyrunt, Absol, Drifloon, Axew, Croagunk, Scraggy, Kanto Starters, Venipede, Aegislash, Meowstic etc...

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 21, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Maybe I just meant RSE instead, I dunno. I didn't notice a difference between RSE and ORAS.

And I guess I still don't remember much of XY and was comparing RSE with Gens 1-5. I still think the early selection in RSE is the best until XY.

I also think I like generations that are mostly self contained, meaning they mostly have brand new Pokémon making up the catchable Pokémon. It's one of the reasons BW1 is my favorite game in the series. EVERY Pokémon was brand new, there were no old guys from previous generations. That hadn't happened since RBY. XY was basically the opposite.

I mean, that's fine, but the worst part of both B/W and ORAS is their garbage early selection of mons. ORAS at least opens up later, but B/W pace themselves so much in encounters and absurdly high evo levels that far too many pokemon are gym 7+ exclusive (hope you never really wanted to use Briavary, Vulbaby, Durant, Heatmor, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Buffolount, Bisharp, etc.) Kills any desire in me to replay because there's no variety at all until the game's already over.

And ORAS removed Sableye/Mawile/Nosepass/Aron by blocking off the lower areas of Granite cave when you could immediately go down in the originals. Its real dumb!

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 21, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

ORAS is good

Its okay. At best.

Dexnav is amazing, soaring is fun and so is the postgame story. Its too bad they were stapled on to a really mediocre/bad skeleton.

I like every part of ORAS except the region and pokemon selection basically. But those two part are real bad

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

oras added a lot of side stuff that's cool but hoenn is still the weakest region and I will always hate that rock you have to break every time you want to go north from the town with the lightning gym

delta episode was v dumb and good tho and I can only hope that gen 7 goes as far in that direction as possible

Oh my god that rock is the loving worst.

Especially since I hate carting around HM slaves (I usually just teach main party members Surf/Strength and you can usually get by without the rest) but ORAS has so many 'gently caress you, HM time' moments.

Or 'gently caress you, go back to Mauville and switch bikes'.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Reimou posted:

My favorites

I wish stufful was fairy/fighting

Oh man, Whimsicott is my favorite pokemon I always forget exists.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Decus posted:

You're right, but not the pokedex sadly. And maybe not the gym trainers? I can't remember on that front.

edit: Right, HGSS did touch the gym leaders/trainers but mostly their levels and not from crystal.

Between the Pokewalker, pokelympics giving easy stone access and the added safari zone it did mix up the pokedex quite a bit actually.

Like Murkrow and Houndor were available in Johto!

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 21, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I just can't wait for the day Cut isn't a vital HM

Like honestly all 10 year old kids heading out for adventure should carry with them a machete, a flashlight, scuba gear and pump enough iron to be able to lift at least 700 pounds easily

It looks like Sun/Moon might actually grant your wish.

B/W and X/Y have mostly eroded mandatory HM use anyways. There was one mandatory spot in B/W (surfing onto victory road) and I'm pretty sure only Surf is required in X/Y with all other stuff locking off optional areas.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

But Surf is the best water move and actually preferable over stuff like Hydro Pump and the like no?

Yeah, surf's a good move (though Scald is slightly preferred over it in online now)

Similarly, Waterfall is the gold standard for physical water moves because most of them have gently caress awful distribution or are only 90% accurate for no reason (aqua tail :argh:). Although ita hosed up even Waterfall is so limited, like Kingler can't even learn it which is just :psyduck:

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 21, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Too bad the only game that had a chance to do this failed miserably by not giving you a single good source for exp. Gen 2 is a mess.

Also I don't remember BW ever needing Surf, but my memories might be wrong there. You do have one forced use of Cut after the first Gym, but afterwards I don't think you need any HMs. Then again, I might've forgotten Surf simply because I don't think I've ever gone a game without a core member of my team with Surf.

Its literally 3 tiles of water blocking off Victory Road.
It was actually super annoying my first run because I wasn't using anything that learned surf so I was down 1 party member for Victory Road. Too many cool bugs and fossils.

quote:

I don't like a lot of choice. It's overwhelming and leads to a lack of unity or logical consistency amongst a regional dex's Pokemon. Regional dexes are best when they have 200 - 300 Pokemon, like RSE and Platinum. HGSS is decent too if you consider it as a whole, with the Elite Four rematch as your true "final challenge" (which seems to be the case in the remakes). It's actually really cool going to a new region and having another 8 gyms to train new team members in. Pokemon postgames are often so short there's no way to have a new Pokemon on your team unless you catch them at a high level or grab the Lucky Egg.

You can have a fairly small regional dex and still have a better selection of early pokes than B/W or ORAS. R/B/Y or HG/SS is a great example, smaller dex than either of those but the early areas are bursting with variety in comparison to the pared down options in those two.

Also Gen 1, 2 and 4 had the nice thing where the world opened up a ton after a few badges so you could do things like swing around and duck into the Great Marsh to get pokemon like Crogunk or Carnivine before the fourth gym etc. Gens 3/5/6 really lack that because they're super railroaded, and in Gen 3/5's case they don't even mix up the encounters that much.

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 21, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Team Rocket was a lovely mafia that could barely hold down control of a handful of buildings before a ten year old rolled up and smashed their entire croiminal network in half and then they spend years being even shittier and crying that daddy The boss won't come back until another 10 year old shits on them even harder.

I'm more willing to forgive the other teams for losing since they're usually dealing with some Magic/Super Science/Ancient God poo poo but team Rocket hosed up at the least ambitious/easiest goal. It's embarrassing.

They're even more pathetic in G/S/C where their evil plans all lead up to...

taking over a radio tower and begging for Giovanni to come back.

That is their whole plan.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I think it is worse to have these lofty tremendous goals and enormous powerful organizations beat by a 10 year old than a local mafia with more grounded goals beat by a 10 year old but that's just me

To be fair, and this isn't an exaggeration, Team Galactic gets closer to remaking reality than Team Rocket gets to having Giovanni come back.

And Plasma actually manages to cause a major ecological crisis in Unova. Also Lysandre manages to become immortal and then get buried under 300 tons of rocks for eternity.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

this is what i said about flare

the design of the bad guys has def improved over the years, team rocket was just like black spandex and a whip

like i think plasma's medieval design was the first actually good bad guy design now that i think about it

Also the only good badguy design.

Until Skull anyways.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

flare's clothes were good, bitch

no.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Plasma is my favorite team because I never get tired of the grunts screaming PLAAAAASMAAAAAAA everytime you kick their rear end.

Its also fun to laugh at N because he's a tremendous loser.

Alternatively Guzma will try to nuke all the islands. Could go either way.

He's not going to nuke the islands.

Bad guy goals have gone way the gently caress beyond that at this point. Remember: Galactic wanted to remake reality, Plasma took over the Pokemon Storage system and almost ruled the world then almost killed everyone with Kyurem and Lysandre tried to carry out large scale genocide while granting himself immortality.

Guzma's going to nuke the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

oddium posted:

team rocket is the best because they're just evil guys running casinos and taking over radio towers. also they have slick uniforms which you can wear

They take over radio towers for the most pathetic reason tho.

like, begging for a dude who abandoned your asses years ago to come back is what a little kid does. Not the mafia.