Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zore posted:

What? ORAS has some of the shittiest early selection of any game in the series, especially when we just came off X/Y which is literally objectively the best. Especially since they locked some stuff you used to be able to get early in R/S/E until later!

The only games that are worse are B/W1 and its a close thing.

:psyduck:

Like, you have access to more than sixty lines of pokemon before the second gym in X/Y. Including things like Tyrunt, Absol, Drifloon, Axew, Croagunk, Scraggy, Kanto Starters, Venipede, Aegislash, Meowstic etc...

I don't like a lot of choice. It's overwhelming and leads to a lack of unity or logical consistency amongst a regional dex's Pokemon. Regional dexes are best when they have 200 - 300 Pokemon, like RSE and Platinum. HGSS is decent too if you consider it as a whole, with the Elite Four rematch as your true "final challenge" (which seems to be the case in the remakes). It's actually really cool going to a new region and having another 8 gyms to train new team members in. Pokemon postgames are often so short there's no way to have a new Pokemon on your team unless you catch them at a high level or grab the Lucky Egg.

quote:

So long story short, that was the lowest level I've ever beaten the Gen 1 Pokemon League. Barely had any guys faint, even. My Slowbro ended up the highest level at the end (46), and really could have solo'd the whole thing if I'd let him. But that's boring, so I didn't do that. It was hilarious watching Lance's Dragonite flail ineffectually with Barrier while my Venusaur's Leech Seed and Toxic combo just made his health... disappear. Like, he used a Hyper Potion and his Dragonite was dead the very next turn. Hilarious!

Team Break the Game was a huge success! But now I really wish I could use these guys in Pokemon Stadium or something, to really test them out against something besides the dumb-as-dirt AI. I mean... Stadium's AI was still dumb as dirt, but at least their Pokemon had real movesets!
You should pick up Pokemon Yellow. The trainer AI is slightly better and they actually use customized movesets. Some gyms and field trainers have higher levels (and surprise movesets!) and Pokemon selection is rather interesting. I used a team of Butterfree, Mr. Mime, Marowak, Gyarados, Ditto, and Snorlax - a surprisingly good team that took advantage of Kanto's pitfalls (ie every third Pokemon being part Poison basically). Butterfree was a real MVP and Marowak gets Blizzard which was neat.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zore posted:

It looks like Sun/Moon might actually grant your wish.

B/W and X/Y have mostly eroded mandatory HM use anyways. There was one mandatory spot in B/W (surfing onto victory road) and I'm pretty sure only Surf is required in X/Y with all other stuff locking off optional areas.

X/Y requires surf for part of victory road, too, And it has a lot of boulder puzzles. Otherwise, HMs are only for finding side areas and getting TMs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

korusan posted:

It's actually really cool going to a new region and having another 8 gyms to train new team members in.

Too bad the only game that had a chance to do this failed miserably by not giving you a single good source for exp. Gen 2 is a mess.

Also I don't remember BW ever needing Surf, but my memories might be wrong there. You do have one forced use of Cut after the first Gym, but afterwards I don't think you need any HMs. Then again, I might've forgotten Surf simply because I don't think I've ever gone a game without a core member of my team with Surf.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Team Flare was a good team.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Too bad the only game that had a chance to do this failed miserably by not giving you a single good source for exp. Gen 2 is a mess.
There's plenty of trainers in remade Kanto, and if you go through the initial Johto plot not ignoring your PokeGear phone you should have racked up quite a few rematches by the time you land in Kanto. I fully swapped out my Hypno for a level 13 Meditite and now I'm at Blue with it leading my team by two or three levels (who are all mostly on par with Blue's team). No wild grinding needed.

I think HGSS is actually worse for HMs than ORAS, by the by. Backtracking to Johto for any reason basically demands Fly, there's a few places in Kanto that still require Rock Smash and Cut, and you can't get past Dragon's Den without both Surf and Whirlpool (also needed for Whirl Islands on Silver, along with Strength). If you want to do Rock Tunnel you can forget that if you don't have Flash anymore. ORAS at least cut out any need for Flash and was polite enough to give you what amounts to warp portals to plot-relevant locations (thus eliminating the need for Fly)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I don't remember BW ever needing Surf, but my memories might be wrong there. You do have one forced use of Cut after the first Gym, but afterwards I don't think you need any HMs. Then again, I might've forgotten Surf simply because I don't think I've ever gone a game without a core member of my team with Surf.

Its literally 3 tiles of water blocking off Victory Road.
It was actually super annoying my first run because I wasn't using anything that learned surf so I was down 1 party member for Victory Road. Too many cool bugs and fossils.

quote:

I don't like a lot of choice. It's overwhelming and leads to a lack of unity or logical consistency amongst a regional dex's Pokemon. Regional dexes are best when they have 200 - 300 Pokemon, like RSE and Platinum. HGSS is decent too if you consider it as a whole, with the Elite Four rematch as your true "final challenge" (which seems to be the case in the remakes). It's actually really cool going to a new region and having another 8 gyms to train new team members in. Pokemon postgames are often so short there's no way to have a new Pokemon on your team unless you catch them at a high level or grab the Lucky Egg.

You can have a fairly small regional dex and still have a better selection of early pokes than B/W or ORAS. R/B/Y or HG/SS is a great example, smaller dex than either of those but the early areas are bursting with variety in comparison to the pared down options in those two.

Also Gen 1, 2 and 4 had the nice thing where the world opened up a ton after a few badges so you could do things like swing around and duck into the Great Marsh to get pokemon like Crogunk or Carnivine before the fourth gym etc. Gens 3/5/6 really lack that because they're super railroaded, and in Gen 3/5's case they don't even mix up the encounters that much.

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 21, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

HGSS was a lot of fun doing a run with a team of level one guys I traded over. The extra exp made it so I didn't have to grind at all, and seeing the progression of my team with the photo guy made the journey that much more special. Probably my favorite experience playing Pokemon.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Team Rocket is probably my favorite evil team. Giovanni was a cool villain who didn't have some moment of realization or a heel face turn. He was confident in his beliefs until the end, and I really like the way HGSS expanded on his story. I might be mis-remembering some of this, though.

The original Team Plasma and Team Galactic were probably the closest the teams got to being that good, I think.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like there's a non-zero percent chance of the protag in sun/moon befriending team skull after a big misunderstanding and working with them to save the islands.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vernatio posted:

Team Rocket is probably my favorite evil team. Giovanni was a cool villain who didn't have some moment of realization or a heel face turn. He was confident in his beliefs until the end, and I really like the way HGSS expanded on his story. I might be mis-remembering some of this, though.

The original Team Plasma and Team Galactic were probably the closest the teams got to being that good, I think.

Team Rocket was a lovely mafia that could barely hold down control of a handful of buildings before a ten year old rolled up and smashed their entire criminal network in half and then they spend years being even shittier and crying that daddy The boss won't come back until another 10 year old shits on them even harder.

I'm more willing to forgive the other teams for losing since they're usually dealing with some Magic/Super Science/Ancient God poo poo but team Rocket hosed up at the least ambitious/easiest goal. It's embarrassing.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 21, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Team Rocket was a lovely mafia that could barely hold down control of a handful of buildings before a ten year old rolled up and smashed their entire croiminal network in half and then they spend years being even shittier and crying that daddy The boss won't come back until another 10 year old shits on them even harder.

I'm more willing to forgive the other teams for losing since they're usually dealing with some Magic/Super Science/Ancient God poo poo but team Rocket hosed up at the least ambitious/easiest goal. It's embarrassing.

They're even more pathetic in G/S/C where their evil plans all lead up to...

taking over a radio tower and begging for Giovanni to come back.

That is their whole plan.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Zore posted:

Yeah, surf's a good move (though Scald is slightly preferred over it in online now)

Similarly, Waterfall is the gold standard for physical water moves because most of them have gently caress awful distribution or are only 90% accurate for no reason (aqua tail :argh:). Although ita hosed up even Waterfall is so limited, like Kingler can't even learn it which is just :psyduck:

I picked oshawott as a starter in gen 5 but decided to box it after I evolved seismi toad, and then i tried to teach it waterfall and got really confused when it wasn't compatible.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

If you want an evil team that is somewhat competent, actually gets most of their plan finished, AND has a villain that doesn't realize he was an asshoole/face turns Team Plamsa is better than Team Rocket at literally every category.

Down to the Boss because Ghetis is still a huge rear end in a top hat and will never back down from being the biggest scumbag while Giovanni does do a bit of a face turn since he goes into self imposed exile and seemingly never returns after his defeat.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

HGSS was a lot of fun doing a run with a team of level one guys I traded over. The extra exp made it so I didn't have to grind at all, and seeing the progression of my team with the photo guy made the journey that much more special. Probably my favorite experience playing Pokemon.

The photographer was very cool. I wish your Pokemon team showed up in your photos in X/Y as well.

I liked dressing myself as Team Rocket and putting my Houndour in front to complete the disguise.

I miss following Pokemon.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Team Plasma were probably the best overall but I never understood why they had the whole monarchy thing and such a huge entourage of characters that didn't really do anything.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
After reading this you will realize Giovanni's name is a pun based around the prefix "geo" and his usage of ground type pokemons

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

They're even more pathetic in G/S/C where their evil plans all lead up to...

taking over a radio tower and begging for Giovanni to come back.

That is their whole plan.

yeah it was great, i love them

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
I guess Team Rocket was kind of lame if you look at it like that, yeah. I kind of wrote off the losing to a ten year old as it being a kid's game, but you're right, the other teams were dealing with higher stakes than just occupying buildings.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I think it is worse to have these lofty tremendous goals and enormous powerful organizations beat by a 10 year old than a local mafia with more grounded goals beat by a 10 year old but that's just me

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I think it is worse to have these lofty tremendous goals and enormous powerful organizations beat by a 10 year old than a local mafia with more grounded goals beat by a 10 year old but that's just me

To be fair, and this isn't an exaggeration, Team Galactic gets closer to remaking reality than Team Rocket gets to having Giovanni come back.

And Plasma actually manages to cause a major ecological crisis in Unova. Also Lysandre manages to become immortal and then get buried under 300 tons of rocks for eternity.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vernatio posted:

I guess Team Rocket was kind of lame if you look at it like that, yeah. I kind of wrote off the losing to a ten year old as it being a kid's game, but you're right, the other teams were dealing with higher stakes than just occupying buildings.

Team Plasma is using a displaced Monarchy and the local Legends about the reincarnation of heroes and a Boy raised by pokemon to (somewhat successfully) sway the mind of the people to release their pokemon (So the Team Plasma leaders are the only ones with teams) while also completely destroying any possible opposition by dismantling the pokemon league which they succeed at by razing the Elite Four and then raising a castle upon the wreckage.

Team Plasma is the best.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like there's a non-zero percent chance of the protag in sun/moon befriending team skull after a big misunderstanding and working with them to save the islands.

if it means I can buy/be given their outfit, then I'm completely down with this.

Nah, gently caress that, I wanna be friends with Team Skull whether I can dress up as them or not. I just really want their clothes

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I went back to White 2 this weekend to pick up things I was missing for my dex, and it really reminded me how much more that game had compared to XY / ORAS lategame. I'm running into level 70 Pokemon, there are things like Steelix and Kingdra in certain areas if you're lucky. I hope Sun and Moon has a hefty lategame, because that was one of my biggest disappointments from XY. Delta Episode was cool but took me all of fifteen minutes, and after that you're treated to the same fare as XY in the form of the Battle Resort.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

if it means I can buy/be given their outfit, then I'm completely down with this.

Nah, gently caress that, I wanna be friends with Team Skull whether I can dress up as them or not. I just really want their clothes

with the way they're being presented, as kind of a misfit gang of people who couldn't cut it, i really get the feeling that they're going to come off as entirely bad at first but over time you all actively work together to save the islands. because, you know, without the islands team skull doesn't exactly have a home and it's more important to preserve that than to just gently caress around and block off roads or whatever hoodlum poo poo they're going to be doing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

this is what i said about flare

the design of the bad guys has def improved over the years, team rocket was just like black spandex and a whip

like i think plasma's medieval design was the first actually good bad guy design now that i think about it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

the design of the bad guys has def improved over the years, team rocket was just like black spandex and a whip

like i think plasma's medieval design was the first actually good bad guy design now that i think about it

Also the only good badguy design.

Until Skull anyways.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
flare's clothes were good, bitch

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

flare's clothes were good, bitch

no.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Team Flare's clothes are alright. I like the female Admins and Lysandre's outfits.

The grunts have terrible fuckin hair though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Plasma is my favorite team because I never get tired of the grunts screaming PLAAAAASMAAAAAAA everytime you kick their rear end.

Its also fun to laugh at N because he's a tremendous loser.

Johnny Joestar posted:

with the way they're being presented, as kind of a misfit gang of people who couldn't cut it, i really get the feeling that they're going to come off as entirely bad at first but over time you all actively work together to save the islands. because, you know, without the islands team skull doesn't exactly have a home and it's more important to preserve that than to just gently caress around and block off roads or whatever hoodlum poo poo they're going to be doing.

Alternatively Guzma will try to nuke all the islands. Could go either way.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Plasma is my favorite team because I never get tired of the grunts screaming PLAAAAASMAAAAAAA everytime you kick their rear end.

Its also fun to laugh at N because he's a tremendous loser.

Alternatively Guzma will try to nuke all the islands. Could go either way.

He's not going to nuke the islands.

Bad guy goals have gone way the gently caress beyond that at this point. Remember: Galactic wanted to remake reality, Plasma took over the Pokemon Storage system and almost ruled the world then almost killed everyone with Kyurem and Lysandre tried to carry out large scale genocide while granting himself immortality.

Guzma's going to nuke the planet.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

team rocket is the best because they're just evil guys running casinos and taking over radio towers. also they have slick uniforms which you can wear

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm going off the deep end because I think I'm going to buy heart gold, omega Ruby, and have my friend in Seattle mail me back my finished Pokemon Diamond. I already bought White 2. I'm almost to a gen 1 living Dex. This poo poo all going in the bank. Gen 1 living Dex is good because then I can skip any gen 1 mons I run into except new evolutions. Then I will have played all six generations.

Don't know if it's possible to do this by November.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

oddium posted:

team rocket is the best because they're just evil guys running casinos and taking over radio towers. also they have slick uniforms which you can wear

They take over radio towers for the most pathetic reason tho.

like, begging for a dude who abandoned your asses years ago to come back is what a little kid does. Not the mafia.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Another problem with oras is first area you run into wingulls and zigzagoons and few others. Later areas you just run into their evolved forms.

It would have been much better to have all the hidden pokemon that appear after groundon/kyogre are capture as normal encounters up to that point and add even more as hidden pokemon after k/g.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

They brought on a new character designer during development of black and white and that new artist designed every character in BW1 and all the subsequent games except for the BW1 player characters (can't remember the names but started with H). You can tell because everyone has a wider variety of facial expressions and tighter pants than they did before.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Geostomp posted:

I have no idea why they ever tried to make someone murdering everyone poor for no reason at all sympathetic. If there had been a Z, I assume they might have tried something more, but succeeding in salvaging Team Flare is an uphill battle at best.

Lysandre: I'm so sad that I'm about to murder 90% of the population.

Shauna: So are you going to stop trying to murder people?

Lysandre: No, I'm not that sad.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Zore posted:

They take over radio towers for the most pathetic reason tho.

like, begging for a dude who abandoned your asses years ago to come back is what a little kid does. Not the mafia.

hmm no it's cool that they have a much more personal plot point than "destroy". it actually feels like they're part of kanto/johto instead of "this team wants the box legendary for whatever. death probably."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oddium posted:

hmm no it's cool that they have a much more personal plot point than "destroy". it actually feels like they're part of kanto/johto instead of "this team wants the box legendary for whatever. death probably."

don't you know, destroying the galaxy and stuff is super edgy and good, simple villains with simple motivations aren't good for a children's videogame series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

They brought on a new character designer during development of black and white and that new artist designed every character in BW1 and all the subsequent games except for the BW1 player characters (can't remember the names but started with H). You can tell because everyone has a wider variety of facial expressions and tighter pants than they did before.

hilda and hilbert