Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
oh wait, modest luvdisc isn't guaranteed to ohko a fully specially defensive magcargo with surf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
or a ditto of the correct nature

one of the reasons I made sure to get a ditto of every non-neutral nature, preferably with good IV's.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Xad posted:

Is there anything you can do for most Pokemon with a 4x weakness that isn't "don't send them out against an x-type pokemon"?

Like I don't want to make a dumb sweeping generalization but unless there's something weird I'm not thinking of, if you're trying to beat a Wailord using a Magcargo/Golem/anything 4x weak to water, you might have made a very poor decision.

Sure, but why would you fight a luvdisc with any fire type pokemon?

most typings can be avoided but water is probably one of the most ubiquitous ones. having a 4x weakness to water is almost a death sentence in and of itself.

mostly I did the calculation because I wanted to see if magcargo could survive the worst fully evolved water type pokemon.

but you're right it was weird to focus on a single 4x weakness when magcargo has a host of other awful weaknesses.

although if magcargo had offensively-oriented stats it could be interesting, it's just awful to have defensive stats with a really bad defensive typing combo

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 23, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
yeah stone miss is my second favorite coverage move after focus miss

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

this new meta is sounding pretty intense

i only do these calculations to entertain a world where meganium isn't trash

in my dreams, mega meganium was a thing, and meganium was everyone's favorite pokemon.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ice type Pokemon were never really Dragon slayers though. Dragons usually had a fairly diverse movepool that could easily take down most of them. Dragon types feared Ice type moves since Pokemon that couldn't get taken down by them so easily could carry them. Ice didn't even resist Dragon type moves.

hi mamoswine here, and i've killed more dragons than the protagonist of skyrim

also sub/roost/dragon tail/iron head kyurem-B was one of my favorite sets when that was legal in UU

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 26, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

But why is it the only dragon type move in that generation and why does it only do one effectively making dragons even bigger powerhouses since ice pokemon loving suck

you don't need ice type pokemon to use blizzard, tauros and starmie were two of the best blizzard users in gen 1

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

Jynx was surprisingly good in Gen I! So were Articuno and Lapras!

jynx had an ubers set in gen 5, because gen 5 ubers was a format where rain was essentially permanent, and she could basically wall a kyogre and then lovely kiss whatever switches in

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

I feel like Bronzong is probably the pokemon hardest hit by the loss of Dark/Ghost resistance by Steel.

RIP the weird gimmicky Heatproof Bronzong I used to troll with in Gen IV.

late post but i think metagross was hurt more

no longer neutral to sucker punch is a pretty big deal especially for the agility set

Ruggington posted:

although in ubers it has to compete with arceus water for that spot

on the other hand arceus water has to compete with like at least 5 arceus formes that are as about as good if not better.

although arceus-water was probably top 3 arceus forms before primal groudon became the king of ubers? i think extreme killer has always been one of the best ones, but my personal favorite is arceus-rock.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 26, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

why do people like feebas i don't understand the joke

it evolves into milotic and milotic is pretty and cool

even if it's horribly outclassed as a bulky water pokemon

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
milotic is cool because marvel scale is a neat ability but when it comes down to utility and bulk for a water type with reliable recovery she just falls short of that of vaporeon, gastrodon, jellicent, or even quagsire (for unaware) which is unfortunate

also competitive is cool to punish defog/intimidate users

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
yeah but by the metric of being able to fully clear a game hoppip is a god so

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

that ivy guy posted:

a hoppip solo run would be pretty difficult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdQEGUXCVGg

80 part saga

the nonsense he has to do on red is pretty impressive

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 26, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

That is a lot of use of Chikorita for it to a be a Hoppip only run.

he does have to catch a hoppip (and have it get an offensive move) first!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ka0 posted:

Just pretend Zygarde is mega Dunsparce.

if only it had the best ability ever instead of just a counter to two very rare abilities.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Forretress is amazing what the gently caress is wrong with you

:agreed:

what kind of degenerate lumps forretress with probopass

every bug/steel pokemon except wormadam (c'mon that form is even called trash) is great, even durant

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
the only thing that comes close to redeeming probopass is that it can run a FEAR set, the true terror of battle spot for teams without fake out.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
conkeldurr is really loving strong at least

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
ok but please defend the virtues of delibird

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
actually i much prefer to this discourse on bad pokemon to any talk about how fanfiction

doesn't delibird hurt you with presents though. that seems not so good.

edit: I looked up what present does and it has a chance to heal the target. Ok that's kind of on theme, but I'm not sure what that says about how delibird sees our interaction.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
im not ok with what throh is doing to my bff mienshao there

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i was 12 when i played emerald and i thought absol was the coolest pokemon ever, followed by ludicolo

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

not commenting on these particular ones (esp Conkeldurr who is Buffo the Clown but in a video game instead of irl), but for me i learn to love a lot of mons by using them. i honestly hated a lot of mons like Latias, Ferrothorn, the Genies, Mandibuzz, and Cobalion until I used them to clobber people, and now I think they're the bee's knees. similarly I used to think Gliscor was the baddest motherfucker in the world and now I wouldn't shed a tear if his source code mysteriously vanished from Game Freak's computers in a freak accident.

:agreed: on latias, ferrothorn, mandibuzz, cobalion, and gliscor

do not agree on thundurus though.

also actually using the pokemon made me really appreciate dialga and palkia

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

The gently caress is wrong with Gliscor?

gliscor in singles has one set that is extremely predictable yet will give you fits if you are not running something that happens to hard counter it

and it has another set that if allowed to set up will wreck your poo poo

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
one time i managed to knock off someone's gliscor's toxic orb as it was switching in

he instantly conceded

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i actually really dislike knock off because it's such a stupidly safe move to just spam

like the only things that really come close to punishing knock off are justified pokemon but terrakion losing its life orb or choice scarf does kinda hurt, just another reason I miss mega lucario :qq:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Remember when Knock Off was horrifically bad and no one would be caught dead using it?

good times.

:same:

now I run tentacruel with knock off and scald to make others feel the pain.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i think if you manage to get your gliscor any status but poison you should banned from ever using gliscor again, out of shame.

oddium posted:

you play a flute

iirc the flute never existed though

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
it's obviously Ssanne.

or Sslibra

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
well then it's appropriate that it's a letdown, right?

at least it gets iron head/tail and razor shell, which is just like waterfall that exists solely to be a worse move.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 29, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GlitchThief posted:

avoid wasting pokeballs on redundant captures?

how the gently caress do you waste a pokeball

are you implying that it is somehow possible to run out of money for ultra balls in a pokemon game

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GlitchThief posted:

You would not believe the frequency with which I go to the pokemon center to avoid using medicine.

i used to do this but now it's only to replenish pp because i noticed after gen 5 that i'd still have like all the random super potions i got while playing the game as i was beating the elite 4 and looking for the 99 full restores or max potions i bought before going into the gauntlet

although penny pinching on efficient vending machine beverages or lava cookies is a time honored tradition for me and I won't change my outdated ways with regards to that :colbert:.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

Leppa Berries tho

I'm willing to breed for perfect IVs on hasty protean greninjas but I am not willing to play the lovely maintain this berry for 4 days game.

Especially because what am I even using leppa berries for at this point except for the recycle slowbro set.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

If you water at every stage it's like 12 berries per tree. Insanity. An embarrassments of pp replenishing fruit, even.

look man it is imperative that i bicycle around lumiose prism tower and there are no berry plots there

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i forgot to water my berry tree once and the game made me feel like the villain of fern gully

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress chople berries and to a lesser extent gently caress yache berries

by which I mean rip my poor lucario and mamoswine

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

sharrrk posted:

jsut let me buy berries. please. i have so much money and ive bought all of the clothes

:same:

but also put more clothes in the game. i need to play even more dressup

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
what if it just weren't one of the best attacking types in the game, a type with no immunities and with only 2-3 pokemon that can really punish someone for throwing out dark moves on the switch-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

... There are berry mutations?!

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Berry_fields#Mutation

uh yeah and I got all of these :negative:

well mostly the ev berries but salac berry and petaya berry too because those are cool