Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

FishBulb posted:

Do they show junior division stuff on the Pokemon championships? I'm really curious to see if it's just the same as the adults or if the kids play less meta

Today is just adult matches. But they will be showing the junior and senior final matches tomorrow before the masters final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

FishBulb posted:

What's seniors?

Juniors is 12 and under I believe, Seniors is 13-17 years, and Masters is 18+.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

mabels big day posted:

It's laughable how much better japan is at Pokken than the rest of the world. They might as well put random children against them. It's pathetic.

OTOH hey did not make a single seat in the top cut 24 in vgc this year. Guess they are all playing Pokken now.

E:fb
Is anyone else watching the stream having an audio desync?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
No mega Kang, or mega salamence in the final masters fight makes me really happy. Also Raichu!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Hooray for world champion Raichu/Hitmontop!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So here's the deal, you don't owe a corporate entity anything even if you enjoy their product. This part of the post just makes you sound like a weirdo.

That being said, there's literally no way they could ever out convenience factor of simulators short of making one in game that skips all the pokemon raising, which they will never do because getting people to spend time raising monsters is literally their business, so hacking is the only real way to get anywhere near the ballpark of that level of pick up and go (and it's not even THAT close given the effort you gotta go through to inject pokemon vs typing a Name into a text box on Showdown). They're making a little more convenient with Hyper and Super training, but I there's not much more they could do in game without completely workarounding the entire point of the game.

Pretty sure they could kill the "convenience" of sims pretty quick with a cease and desist order.

I wonder why they haven't honestly, it's pretty blatant IP abuse.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

Generating pokemans still doesn't seem like cheating to me because you gain no real advantage over your opponent except time spent.

It's literally like using a megamule in Dark Souls. The people who do it are skipping ahead to the pvp portion of the game and bypassing hours of grinding and progression. Everyone will be using optimal builds with Titanite Slab weapons anyway, no reason to spend 20+ hours getting there when you've done it before.

Maybe if you generate an OU team and take it to your little brother's school and beat up kids with it it can be called cheating.

I don't have any horse in this race, but honestly considering how often teams end up being tweaked during the seasons; the ability to quickly generate a new team and continue the iteration process does seem that it would give some sort of advantage. I mean I would imagine teams are pretty much locked in a few days before an event, but any sudden last minute changes to the meta would apply more pressure to a legit breeder than a hacker.

Ehh.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Looking at that picture. Her diamond jewel on her chest also looks pretty similar to the collar on Type:Null.

I'm pretty sure they gonna be bad.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

Completely unsubstantiated theory time:
Team Skull is the secret military arm of the Aether Foundation. They're kidnapping pokemon for use in experiments, probably only the higher ups know this. Something happened prior to the game's start (possibly 10 or so years before) with Lillie, either she created/produced/whatever UB-01, or her twin was killed/absorbed/whatever. Her, Lusamine, and Gladion are definitely related and definitely part of the Aether Foundation, so it makes sense if they're the cause of the plot. The Aether Foundation are trying to counter the threat of the Ultra Beasts by creating their own Arceus, plus something with Zygarde. The protag uses the Azure Flute to call the real Arceus (or upgrade Type: Null) which ends whatever caused the Ultra Beasts.

The will also lead into the Gen 4 remakes. Suspect there's going to smatterings of Dialga/Palkia/Giratina references, and possible cameos from Crasher Wake and Cynthia.

If this is even close to accurate this Gen is going to be so boss.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Zore posted:

I wonder how generic Z-moves are going to be gated in that case.

Like... what the gently caress kind of Steel move do all Steel types learn? Or Bug move? Or Dark?

My question would be what makes Snorlax's unique Z-move better than the generic Normal Z move that will also exist and just require any normal type move instead of specifically giga impact.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Since I just brought home my newborn son, the likelyhood of me getting to a Gamestop this month is pretty nil. If any hero goon wants to help a brother out with a spare code it would be mega appreciated.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Story on Reddit is that the guy that was leaking last night was caught because he was using a preview copy, and Nintendo set all the preview copy trainer ids and wrote down who they sent them all to. So I guess at one point the ID was shown on screen and his company got a phone call.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Hammerite posted:

Not sure whether to start ORAS over to get a new clutch of legendaries to move on to gen 7 once Bank is updated.

This is my exact plan to do once bank connects and I can move all my breeding tools over to SM

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but are o-powers still in the game? Those things are mad useful and I'd hate for them to be gone.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

They're out, sorry.

Welp. Hopefully the pelago hatchery makes up for the loss of hatching opower.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Disargeria posted:

When does Smogon update their pokedex for the new gen? I like the quick glance at stats/abilities/moves.

I've been using this today just to help blow the hours till I can play. http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/game/sun-moon

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

oddium posted:

pokemon stars for the switch

I haven't owned a Nintendo home console system since the N64 when I was a kid, but hell if I'm going to miss the opportunity to play a mainline pokemon game on my tv.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Is Fakeout not always flinching enemies a new thing? Because I don't remember it ever failing to cause flinch and it's failed on me twice so far.

Was it against a cutifly? Through me for a loop to till I caught it and learned about shield dust or whatever it's called.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Poke PElago kind of sucks for leveling pokemon compared to the old daycare it seems. Plus this daycare doesn't give experience at all which forces you into it but dang. 40 xp per session?

Festival Plaza is the place you want to build up if you are looking for maxing out levels. The Rare Kitchen ends up giving you items that boost your mon 9 levels at a time.

Honestly the mini-games are also pretty fun in a dumb way, and I may have accidentally spent like 3 hours yesterday playing them instead of the main game. If they end up swapping pokemiles for FC as the reward for PokeBank mons then you'll have FC forever.

Edit: The fire trial clearly makes the trial system better than gyms forever and always.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Sade posted:

Pelipper is gonna be V. Prominent in VGC this year because it gets drizzle as a hidden ability.

Wait drizzle is an HA? Cause i just caught a drizzle pelipper on the third island as a basic wild encounter. No SOS needed?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Senerio posted:

If you still got an egg, 1521-4593-3539, In game I'm Pandora. Don't got much to trade in return. Gible Egg?

e: Also I lucked out when I checked Isle Avue this morning.

Have you upgraded your Avue? I have it at level one and left 6 abra eggs in there for a day any they didn't even get close to hatching?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

I read some pre-release stuff about hyper training, and I figured I'd ask before I finally buy this today: does hyper training let a relatively casual Pokemon fan like me actually participate in wifi battles? It lets you boost a max-level Pokemon's IVs, right? Somehow I've been extremely resistant to getting deep into Pokemon breeding for good IVs so I never end up getting to do multiplayer battles because I'd just get owned.

I can't see how bottle-caps are more casual than breeding atm because getting a pokemon to level 100 seems to be an utter chore. Maybe once everyone has a 5-star rare kitchen to share around this will change but for now hyper training to me feels completely nonviable.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So what's the deal with QR code teams? It is an option on battle royal so you would think there would be a way to generate a qr code to share your team with others. Im surprised the format hasn't been hacked yet. I want a webapp that will let me generate any team I want damnit.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Welp I'm buying it.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Im waiting to hear if there are improved methods of leveling and training mons in the end game. The lack of an decent way to get mons to 100 so I can use caps is what made me drop the game hard once i finished out looker quest.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Eh, different people like different things. My wife and I are both huge pokemon fans. I’ve played through every gen multiple times, but my wife who just is not as much a gamer tends to barely pull off getting to the elite four once per gen before dropping out.

Well that is except for her original copy of red that she must have played through ten times. Her nostalgia of the original 151 is a big part of that and she is stoked for ‘lets go’ since it will allow her to just have the mons she loves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Nah, my wife’s main exposure to pokemon as a kid was watching that cartoon with her younger brother. They also only ever had access to the original cartridges, and my wife didnt get back into pokemon as a game as an adult till she met me.

So pretty much the only mons she grew up with were the first 151.

Edit: plus gen 2 blows.