Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Part of the problem with spreading HMs across your team is that Waterfall has a terrible distribution. They're almost all Water types, barring the Dragonite line and non-Water types that evolve from Water types, such as Dragalge. So if you don't want a Pokemon to have half their slots taken up by HMs, you need either multiple Water types or find one of the non-Water types that learns Surf.

pik_d posted:

I don't do this because it means I can't swap out guys without having the same HM on multiple guys

I've run into this problem with my X run. I have two pokemon that can learn Fly, for example, but I don't want to burden Hawlucha with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zore posted:

It looks like Sun/Moon might actually grant your wish.

B/W and X/Y have mostly eroded mandatory HM use anyways. There was one mandatory spot in B/W (surfing onto victory road) and I'm pretty sure only Surf is required in X/Y with all other stuff locking off optional areas.

X/Y requires surf for part of victory road, too, And it has a lot of boulder puzzles. Otherwise, HMs are only for finding side areas and getting TMs.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well, given that customization is back, there's probably lots of clothes to buy and such.

Either that or Alola is going through some severe inflation.

Dunno why this had to be showcased in a video and a black screen is really underwhelming. :effort:

It reminded me a lot of working for the Lumiose Hotel in XY. You were payed a ton for trivial work there, too.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm finally getting around to finishing up my 12 Pokémon run of X. I'm at the Elite 4, and I'm very conflicted about who to bring. I want all my friends to be in the Hall of Fame. :ohdear:

Also trying to find a set for Kingler (my "starter") that has good coverage and good power is a little frustrating! He has Crabhammer and Sword Dance, which is a pretty solid foundation, but Knock Off and Metal Claw are a little weak despite the coverage they give.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Shameful, isn't it?

So do it twice! Pick 6, beat the Elite Four with them, then go back and beat them with the other 6. Then all your friends can be in the Hall of Fame!

Oh, for some reason I thought that when you rematched them, they would have stronger teams! I guess that was only in the other games. That makes doing it twice much more reasonable.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I take back anything bad I may have ever said about Clefable. :stwoon: It just tanked half the Elite 4 for me, thanks to its bulk and Sing.

Another highlight was Volcarona getting to +3 Special Attack and one shotting Mega Gardevoir with Bug Buzz.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I got all my Pokemon into the Hall of Fame! The second run was interesting, in that the team wasn't as coordinated as the first.

Is the code the only way to get Arceus, or just the easiest? I think I need to grab one for my living dex.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Dark Pokemon are the best Pokemon.

Just look at this bad mother. :dealwithit:

I did an all-Dark run of Blaze Black. It was pretty goddamn awesome. Houndoom was my best friend.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

If I was a gym leader, I'd pick Dark in a heartbeat.

Murkrow\Honchkrow, Krookodile, Tyranitar, Houndoom, Greninja, Pangoro, Sharpedo... yeah, they're rad. Also Skuntank because he has a butt for a face and his cry is a fart.

Definitely, there are so many cool Dark pokemon.

Steelion posted:

This is why it always kind of confused me when people I know said that they thought there weren't any dual types in gen 1. They were kind of all over the loving place.

Internet Kraken posted:

Awhile ago I thought dual types weren't added until Gen 2 for some reason. I'm not sure why.

To be fair, that is totally something that Gen 1 wouldn't have.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

QuasiQuack posted:

:stare: what the duck? I have a complete living Dex in my bank and all I've gotten is a couple bp. What am I doing wrong?

The number of miles you get every day is roughly equal to the percentage of the bank that you have full:

code:
Number of miles per day  = ((Number of pokemon in bank / 3000) * 100) - 1
If you have only your living dex (721 pokemon) then you should earn ~23 miles each day, or 2 BP. The most you can get is 99 miles / 9 BP per day by completely filling the bank. (Which is roughly one Ability Capsule every 3 weeks.)
There's a certain amount of rollover, too. If you earn 1.5 miles in a day, you'll only get 1 mile, but the extra 0.5 carries over. The next day you'll get 1.5 + 0.5 = 2 miles per day with 0 carrying over. This explains it all: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=319610

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

so far the hardest thing to get on GTS is an aromatisse I'm gonna have to give up one of my spare legendaries

If you already have a Spritzee then you could chest get the evolution item and trade with a goon. That would probably be easier.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

FishBulb posted:

Look at this guy

There is no way this guy isnt evil.

What is Rusty Venture doing in Alola?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm leaning towards Sun but I really want to hear more about version exclusives before making a final decision.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kurieg posted:

"Your entire operation is finished here. Now leave!"
"What?"
"DID HE loving STUTTER!?"

Dragonite was the best part of that episode.

Lupus Rufus posted:

so I just got Latios in OR and I nicknamed him "Jefferson". I am pretty proud of that one.

:golfclap: nice

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I finished my first Nuzlocke! By finish I, of course, mean that I got wiped out to Dianthe's Mega Gardevoir.

Then i gave up and just did it again with revives (all i had to do was loving set up Stealth Rock on the first turn and use Golem to beat up Hawlucha, then Durant would be able to sweep the rest no problem) Boy is a nuzlocke a different experience, I don't really have the patience to do it again.

Anyway, general thoughts on XY are the same I had a while after playing them the first time, the story is trash, every character is lame, Malva is so entirely out of nowhere and does nothing with her reveal, the cut content is fairly easy to deduce, mega evolution is not implemented well into the main game and there's several points where they just inject way more battles than necessary, including the same rival rematch three or four times in a row. The level curve is incredible, pure stellar, the pokemon selection is great and gives you some great freedom in battles which makes them feel even better, battling just feels good, when it's not a friend battle or against grunts then you've got some very neat fights going on constantly. The rather few new pokemon does hurt the region's personality, you can go ages without seeing a trainer use a new pokemon and most riding pokemon aren't even of the region, I hope regional variants fixes that with SM. The gym system is a zombie at this point, it's just there so you kinda have an idea of why you're following the straight line forward most of the time.

All in all, the SM stuff we've seen really seems to fix everything from XY, like XY is the transitional gen between 5 and 7 with a lack of innovation and ideas that are executed worse than in those two gens. I really, really hope they have a level curve that's this good for SM.

I didn't know there was a Malva reveal until this thread started talking about it a few months ago :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kawabata posted:

see for example I've been trying to get a simple Swirlix for the last couple of days and most of GTS is asking Yveltal or Meloetta for it and it triggers me

Don't go looking for trades. Instead, put up a trade of your own that's asking for what you want. In your case, maybe put up a Spritzee and ask for a Swirlix.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I love every individual member of my team, but my team overall is pretty bad. Lots of rock and flying weakness, I should probably drop my Trumbeak. Crabrawler is a surprise favorite though!
I'm trying to use only new pokemon, but it feels like if I did that I wouldn't have any special attackers.

Overall, I'm really loving this game.

cheetah7071 posted:

All the new things look so loving good in motion

And a lot of the old things! Drowzee is really, really creepy, for example.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Lana is so thirsty.

Has anyone used Washiwashi? Is it any fun to use?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wishiwashi isn't bad, and I wanna use mine more, but he's instantly outclassed by the waterspider you can get in the exact same area who hilariously gets a bonus on top of STAB for water moves and has a better movepool to pick from.

Still now that my spider's leveled up I'm gonna experiment with Wishiwashi. Anyone messed around with the coward shrimp thing? I can't even catch one let alone tinker with it to know if it's worth leveling to evolve.

I love the spider's design. As cool as Washiwashi is, I might try out the spider instead...

...except I'm trying to lessen my flying/rock weaknesses, not make it even worse. I guess I could swap out my Grubbin though.
Why do there have to be so many cool bug types this gen?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Finally found a female Salandit! I threw a quick ball but got a critical capture anyway. And it's holding a smoke ball!

But it's Adamant. Oh well, it doesn't need to perfect, it's still my little poison lizard :3:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
:allears: mud pony just utterly wrecks the fire trial. I think I'm going to drop the rock pupper for Salandit, since mudbray does everything rockruff does.

Or I'll just start using more than 6 pokemon...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Wait, so both Crabrawler and Charjabug can't evolve until the very end of the game? :( That's really disappointing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Weird seeing people complain about being afforded the privilege of traveling with Crabrawler the whole game before getting to evolve him. Can you even call yourself a punch crab fan...?

I am chastised. Rocky Craboa has carried the team through some tough fights, I'll keep him around.

I keep forgetting that I don't actually need a water type or a flying type if I don't want one. It's awesome but weird. I definitely need more status users on my team though! (Currently I have 0.)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

SilverFire posted:

I've got a spare Genesect code. A5Z54YME2SXHTES3

Says the code or password is incorrect. Unless that means someone's already used it?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

SilverFire posted:

That's strange. I just tried the first code on my copy of Omega Ruby and it worked (I chose not to receive the gift).

Maybe they just don't work in sun/moon?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Totem fights have been a mixed bag for me. Water was really tough because it summoned a helper that could heal it, but in my second try it summoned a washiwashi, making the fight much easier. The grass fight kicked my rear end until I used X Defense and X Special Attack and it didn't summon a castform. But the fire totem used Torment on the first turn and I one shot it with bulldozer.

Overall they're really fun, but it seems like luck with summons is a huge factor in how it will go.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Where is it in brooklet hill??

In the second pond, surf east.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Grouchio posted:

1. Pokemon Sun or Moon?
2. Should I start with Rowlet or start with Popplio and get a Toucannon?
3. Litten's line looks ugly. :colbert:
4. How is the post-game looking for you guys? Should I hype?

1. Choose based on the version exclusives and the cover legendary.
2. There's no HMs, you don't need a dedicated flyer if you don't want one. Both starters are great, but there are very few new special attackers, so popplio is a good choice.
3. You're allowed to be wrong.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

So some story questions between Islands 2 & 3

I accidentally murdered the UB that shows up in the Aether Base. Did I just miss my shot at this UB or was it uncatchable to begin with.

Uncatchable. You can't throw balls in the conservation area.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

Sash Salazzle with Corrosive and Toxic will at least put a clock on it. I have been using it against all the really frustrating guys like Celesteela and That drat Sandcastle.

I'm not playing competitively, but Corrosive is one of my favorite new abilities. I've been going out of my way to poison everything.

I even poisoned Guzma's Ariados, and then just spammed Nasty Plot while it tried to sucker punch me until it died :allears:

...maybe I'm the real villain.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Since it can snow in Tapu Village, can you evolve Crabrawler there? Or is it location-based and you have to be on the snow mountain?

(I haven't gotten it to snow in Tapu Village, so I haven't been able to check.)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

tyblazitar posted:

Nope, just on the mountain. It sucks because you're almost done with the main game at that point.

That's a shame. At least Charjabug evolved right after the first battle in Poni Canyon. I thought I was going to have to explore it for a while first.

Insurrectionist posted:

The first time you can go to Ten Carat Hill after getting your sweet Tauros mount, is it supposed to have anything except some new random pokemon and a couple ok items? NPCs keep talking about it having a strong pokemon and stuff, do you have to deal with the huge boulder or whatever to progress in any way? All I found was the one clearing and a path to the southeast that had a TM.

Rockruff is strong, so the NPCs were right.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

:yeah:

I love that goofy battery bus bug. He even beeps!

I love the wiggle it does when you send it out :kimchi: it's gotta scoot into position.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Things SuMo does better than the rest of the series:
  • Interesting environments
  • Charming characters
  • Totem fights
  • No HMs
  • Probably my favorite starters ever

Things SuMo does worse than the rest of the series
  • Everything else. Like really, more than any game in the series it encapsulates GF's one step forward two steps back mentality. For every experimental feature that just didn't work like Festival Plaza there's another distinctly anti-fun one like SOS or Battle Royal. SuMo is a really lovable game that tries really hard not to be sometimes.

I would add Poke Pelago to the list of good features, if only for the berry growing island. It's the best implementation of that particular mechanic since it was first introduced in Gen 2.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
No that's not how it works at all. Pokemon takes a completely different approach to stats -- you're thinking of something like a Final Fantasy game.

A Pokemon's stats are calculated from a few numbers: their base stats (determined by their species), EVs (gained in battle), IVs (intrinsic to each individual pokemon), Nature (+10%/-10% to two stats) and Level.
If any of these numbers change, the stat is recalculated. When a Pokemon evolves, their stats are now calculated using the base stat of their new species. For example, Charjabug has pretty low base Special Attack (55) so that stat will always be pretty low. But Vikavolt, its evolved form, has 145 base Special Attack. When your Charjabug evolves, its Special Attack will suddenly be much higher! It doesn't matter how many levels it spent as a Charjabug.

So yes, level up your pokemon as soon as possible. Charjabug is pretty strong for a second-stage pokemon, and mine was crucial for several fights throughout the game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

This is probably not a simple question but how do nature, characteristic, EVs and IVs relate? I thought IVs were the ones you changed by fighting with certain items equipped.

- IVs (Individual Values) are set when a Pokemon is caught or hatched. You can't change them, except through the Hyper Training in S/M. They range from 0 to 31.
- Characteristics are a clue to the value of the Pokemon's highest IV. It's kind of useless.
- EVs are gained in battle, and certain items increase how many you get. They range from 0 to 252. Every 4 EVs in a stat increasing that stat by 1 at level 100.
- Nature gives a 10% boost to one stat and 10% penalty to another.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I can't wait for Pokemon Bank in January, I want to do a lot more runs of Sun but I don't want to give up my current Pokemon.

I'm thinking of doing a mono-grass run:
- Lurantis (Grass)
- Shiinotic (Grass/Fairy)
- Tsareena (Grass)
- Dhelmise (Ghost/Grass)
- Exeggcutor (Grass/Dragon)
- Pelipper??? (Water/Flying) [Drizzle]

I'm not sure what to use for the last slot. Pelipper would be useful for shutting down Fire and Bug types, but it's not a Grass type. I wanted to use new Pokemon and Alola forms, too.
And maybe I should swap out either Lurantis or Tsareena for something else, since they're both mono-grass Physical attackers.

boy are my arms tired posted:

this actually doesn't change the IV, it sets a flag to pretend the pokemon is at 31 IVs

it will still retain whatever hidden power it has at birth and that cannot be changed

That's true, but I was trying to keep it simple.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Silvally-Grass, maybe? It can get Rock Slide for Bug and Fire types, and it gets the fangs for coverage.

That's not a bad idea. I really do want to use Type: Null/Silvally at some point. But if you can't get it until the post-game and they can't breed.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 28, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Chill Penguin posted:

I somehow ended up with way too many physical attackers. My team right now includes Lycanroc, Minior, Golem, Mudsdale, Lurantis, Araquanid, Golisopod, Incineroar, Dugtrio, Raticate, Persian, Komala, and one or two others... while for special attackers I have Salazzle, Kadabra, and freaking Pelipper. Where did I go wrong? What have I missed? I feel like I'm pretty far, currently making my way through Po Town.

There's like 4 or 5 dedicated special attacker lines among the new pokemon. Two of them are Primarina, a starter, and Drampa, a Moon exclusive. (I say "dedicated" because there are a few lines, like Rowlet, whose attack and special attack are almost the same but they learn few special moves by level up.) Expanding the scope to the whole Alola Pokedex gives you maybe 10 lines total. A lot of the new pokemon are incredibly strong physical attackers. I don't know what Game Freak was thinking with this distribution. It also seems like the new physical attackers all have >100 Attack, while the new Special Attackers are much lower.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Just Toxic it twice then.

Or use Pluck or Bug Bite to eat the berry and destroy its disguise in one fell swoop.

Does anyone know how getting wild Pokemon on the pelago to stay works? Is it entirely random, or can you influence them somehow? I would think beans would make it more likely that they'd stay, but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

From what I can tell you have to see one with a ? around its head, poke it and then wait a day and it may come back with a <3 around its head in which case you poke it again and it joins you

Yeah, I know that. I was asking if there's a way to make it more likely to happen. I know beans make more wild Pokemon appear, but do they also make wild Pokemon stay?