Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brother Entropy posted:

i don't think foxes or whatever the hell typhlosions are supposed to be are on the chinese zodiac

Foxes are canines, therefore Fennekin counts as the dog. This isn't the only franchise to use a fox instead of a dog because it's cooler that way, I can think of another mon franchise that did it.

Cyndaquil is the rat. It's the "Fire Mouse Pokémon".

The zodiac theory is still true no matter how much it may annoy people. We'll get another addition to it, maybe tomorrow, maybe in September, depending on how nice Game Freak feels. Though honestly the only one I wanted was the tiger and we got that one last gen so I'm not too interested, even if it's the type that gives me my name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ultima66 posted:

What the hell is the Chinese zodiac theory, is it that all the fire starters are a Chinese zodiac animal? Because cats are not actually on the Chinese zodiac if that's the theory.

Cats are actually part of the Chinese Zodiac, as the animal that was late to it and thus was left out of it. It's unimportant anyways because Litten represents the tiger, not the cat.

But yeah, that's literally it. Every Fire starter is part of the Chinese Zodiac. In order: dragon, rat, rooster, monkey, pig, dog, tiger. Thus, we're left with ox, rabbit, snake, horse and goat as possible starters for this gen.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brother Entropy posted:

it would be incredibly stupid of gamefreak to make another line of fire horses

You say this as if Game Freak had never recycled an idea before.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gruckles posted:

It was pretty weird when gen 4 only had two starters, and removed fire pokemon entirely.

I'm so glad they learned from that mistake.

Calaveron posted:

Why didn’t people like Chimchar?

It was the start of the awful Fire/Fighting trend, and in general I don't like Monferno or Infernape's designs at all. Chimchar's a bit cute at least.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mierenneuker posted:

Joke's on you, this generation they'll have steel, ice and ground starters.

Pfft, nonsense. Game Freak knows about balance, they'd never give you such an overpowered type from the get-go.

I mean, seriously, early game Ice? Are you insane?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chaosapiant posted:

I don't have a Switch yet. Any chance they'll do a dope-rear end special edition Switch for Pokémon? I got me the Batman Arkham Knight PS4 and now I want the special edition Pokémon Switch.

Edit: Also I know it's too early to know, but if they support Pokebank I hope they support the Alolan forms of the Pokémon as well.

There'll likely be a Sword/Shield-styled Switch, so you can look forward to that. Also, the Alolan forms are already supported by Bank and they're heavily unlikely to get dropped off the series considering their prevalence, they aren't Notched-Ear Pichu. That said, they may also become hard to impossible to obtain in future games, so you'll want to transfer yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, to be fair: all the Pika-clones eventually led to Mimikyu, which is a lightening strike so hard it blew up the whole building.

Turns out that giving your Pokemon a depressing backstory but positive attitude that makes it stand out heavily while being really, really huggable works far better than just copying the same design notes and hoping it works again.