Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

It turns out the reason Kadabra doesn't learn Confusion upon evolving is because of a bug.

Basically what happens is if a Pokemon has less than 4 moves, and is supposed to learn a move upon evolving, the game prioritizes a level 0 move instead, which ends up doing stuff like screwing Kadabra out of Confusion.

This is actually really cool cause this means you can get Hurricane on Pelipper as soon as it evolves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

It turns out the reason Kadabra doesn't learn Confusion upon evolving is because of a bug.

Basically what happens is if a Pokemon has less than 4 moves, and is supposed to learn a move upon evolving, the game prioritizes a level 0 move instead, which ends up doing stuff like screwing Kadabra out of Confusion.

This is confirmed false, by the way. My I deleted one of my Wingull's moves so it only had 3 moves. Hurricane is the first level 0 move it has, and Wingull learns Protect upon evolving into Pelipper at level 25. Hit 25, evolve into Pelipper, and learned Protect instead of Hurricane. I think it's more likely they hosed with Kadabra's movelist.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Calaveron posted:

And why is rotomdex afraid of them? He's a ghost!

He's not a ghost. All rotoms lose their ghost typing once they possess an appliance.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dabir posted:

double team and minimize are stupid annoying bullshit that's no fun to play against or use and takes the game down to rolling dice, I'm a huge prick

everyone always bitched about the double teaming Kingdra in gold/silver but apparently they're really sad to see the move get banned in competitive play

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

Scaling levels for gyms doesn’t really work because if you’re overleveled, you’re probably intentionally grinding because you’re bad at the game or whatever. Scaling levels then means the game never will get easier for you if you try putting more time into it. The only scenario where you get an overleveled Pokemon quickly is going to be a trade, which is also balanced for.

Make it so that you can challenge the gyms in any order, and then have their levels, moveset, and pokemon available based on the number of badges you have.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Alxprit posted:

What about for everything else outside of gyms?

You can do it in a couple of ways, but you could also just tie it to the number of badges you have. It really depends on how the map is laid out and whether you want to do an Elder Scrolls esque 'locking in' of levels once you reach certain routes.

Main routes could be tied to your badge count while optional 'off the beaten path' routes could be locked in a certain levels, with the difficulty depending on how close they are to the starting town.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

It makes no thematic sense why wild Pokemon would be stronger just because you have more badges though.

It makes no thematic sense why all the strong pokemon are on one route and not another. Each route should really have a mix of level 2 babies and level 40 fearows

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t think these games need scaling in all seriousness because these are first and foremost kids games and pokemon is super flexible so you can make the game as hard as you want (see: nuzlockes)

It's not difficulty that I'm looking for. Scaling is necessary because I want something more open that gives me a larger selection of pokemon to choose from for a playthrough. I'm sick of just trading crap in from other games just because I've never used X before and it's not available until the postgame.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

People keep saying that a more open game wouldn't work without giving any kind of reason for why. I don't really get it. Pokemon isn't the world's most complex game - the ability to travel to basically any area (barring some post-game stuff or the E4) isn't going to break it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

iospace posted:

There were many reasons given why, and here's two off the top of my head:

1. It's a kid's game. It's been shown in the past that if you give them a choice of where to go they can get lost.

This isn't a bad thing at all. In fact, it's been shown in the past that kids will continue to bang their heads against a wall in order to overcome basically any obstacle. Kids have way more patience for video games than you give them credit for.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

An open world Pokemon game is just a logistical nightmare. Going with gyms (as this should be the easiest example to understand) you need to have all of them be at least somewhat of a challenge, which means giving them a team for each possible placement: that's eight teams each (0-7 badges).

Have you seen the trainer list for the battle towers in these games? I feel like that's one of the much smaller problems on the list.

quote:

Going beyond that, you have to keep the wild Pokemon levelled enough so that the player can get some experience, and you'd want to have the right evolution tier in each, meaning that just raising levels per badge is not enough, but you also need the player to be able to see them all so you can't just completely remove a stage and make it unobtainable without breeding either.

uhh I'm not sure what you mean by the second part of this but basically I was thinking that you'd increase the range/evolutionary stage with the number of badges you get. So at the outset you'd only see level 5s Pidgeys, and after 2 badges you start seeing like level 15 pidgeottos or whatever.

Scaling the wild pokemon is obviously the biggest challenge to doing a more open style game but there's a couple of different ways to do it, and frankly I would prefer the freedom it gives in terms of the number of different pokemon you could catch over any downside it would bring.

quote:

And of course, even if you do it right, you'll alienate the part of the fanbase that likes linear games and doesn't like open worlds or that wants to play a more normal Pokemon game. You lose more players than you gain.

I think whether the game is more fun is more important than the 'style' of the game. I wouldn't have such a problem with a linear game if there were more branching or optional paths where a wider variety of pokemon can be caught. I just think it makes more sense to open everything up some more, since at least it would allow for more interesting replays.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Zuzie posted:

A Zelda-style open world doesn't work for an RPG like Pokémon as the battles, and the bulk of the game's systems and mechanics, take place in a disconnected battle screen. Also the player character is practically invincible (since the losing condition is tied to your Pokémon's health) and is inconvenienced by short ledges, bodies of water and until Sun and Moon, small trees.

As for Rotom dex, you don't need to worry too much as he's probably going to be dropped for the Switch game anyway, just like Pokegear, Pokenav, Poketch, The Pokewalker, Dream World, Pass Powers, Wonder Launcher, O-Powers, PSS, Super Training and Dexnav.

Why do you people think I'm asking for some kind of BoTW or GTA type open world game? I'm not asking for a 'go anywhere, do anything' type of game. Just open the routes up, stop gating off content with insane roadblocks. Let me challenge the gyms in any order, and let me catch pokemon from a later route.

You can still have postgame content locked off. You can still do a story. This isn't something crazy here.

Just have the player character start in like a central hub town with several spokes leading to towns and gyms. They can go down whatever spoke they want.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Anyone want to trade me a Koffing? I got pikachu version because the exclusives list they released before the game came out did NOT have koffing/weezing on it and goddammit I need one now. It's very unlikely I will get one in pokemon go because I don't live next to a dumpster or a chemical plant.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

galagazombie posted:

There's also the problem of Rock vs. Ground. Which I am convinced was born out of some miscommunication during Gen 1's development. While they're not Identical, their type matches are just way too similar to the point they don't feel like they play differently. The problem even continues thematically. There's not a single Pokemon of either type that wouldn't make sense if the types were condensed. If you told someone that Sandslash was Rock or that Stakataka was Ground they wouldn't have cause to doubt you.

Something like this is probably pretty likely. It seems as though stuff like Dragon types and dual types were added late in development, which is why you get weird bugs for the super effective prompt, why missigno has a bird type move, why almost every grass type also seems to be poison type, etc

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Straight White Shark posted:

I suspect the interaction with flying is the main reason that the Ground/Rock distinction exists

Either earthquakes hit airborne enemies or birds are immune to rocks, take your pick

They should split it down like physical/special, so moves like bonemerang actually hit flying types, moves like earthquake continue to miss flying types.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

WrightOfWay posted:

That seems way more complicated than rock and ground just being separate types.

Yeah, true, the game is already complex enough as is.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

They've finally done it. They've made a game so linear that the new region is just a straight vertical line.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Avalerion posted:

Team Brexit.

Would be cool if the new team wanted to dissolve the pokemon league or decertify all the gyms.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ulio posted:

Somehow Nintendo's games/trailers go viral in spite of them.

lmfao yeah how did they ever survive before youtuber69 made a video of himself wackily reacting to game trailers.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

This trailer loving owns. I'm blown away by how good the game looks visually.

Really?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

Pokebritain looking not as good as PokeFrance imo

yeah kalos looks like an actual region. this looks like someone’s first attempt at drawing a map

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Procrastine posted:

Make ice immune to water

And make it resist dragon.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I hope the routes actually have lots of trainers with full teams on them this time

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

Yes? It's a mainline pokemon game. Two gens ago this poo poo was 2d.

It's not like this game exists in a vacuum though. And two gens ago was 9 years ago. It looks nice for a pokemon game, sure, but it's nothing to blow anyone out of the water. I know they probably had to turn this game around pretty fast to get it onto the Switch in a couple of years, but this isn't even comparable to the jump from B/W to X/Y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

Loling @ people who're disappointed that this wasn't BOTW with Pokemon

It would just be nice to have more options than, like, go directly from point A to point B with next to zero deviation in between. It would make replaying the games more fun too instead of just having the same pokemon available to you at the same points in the game.