Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I have a similar setup except I'm less organized and have a bunch of boxes filled with high IVed Pokémon that I have no real reason to actually keep. I really should wondertrade them away but I often get that nagging feeling that I need to keep the mon for future breeding. Of course, if I do wondertrade them, there's a high chance I'll end up with similar Pokémon which defeats the original purpose of wondertrading them away.

I'm a drat Pokémon hoarder. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I don't think I've ever seen the winter Poképuff before.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I want all the Flabebe forms. Which flowers have which colors? I know White is the rare one that can be found anywhere but beyond that I don't know for sure. Google is not actually helpful somehow.

Pretty sure that on routes where Flabebe is found, the kind of Flabebe is found in the corresponding flower patch. Reds in red patches, Yellows in yellow patches, Blues in purple patches. Oranges are found in all patches, but are pretty rare (but not as rare as white ones).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, GTS is the only thing worse than 1% encounter rate. Who has a white-flower Flabebe for me? 4897-7314-5821

I'll be able to breed one up. FC is 5370-0412-2211

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I've noticed that some information revealed in International trailers isn't present in Corocoro. For example, one trailer revealed four Pokémon: Stufful, Sandygast, Palossand and Crabrawler. The first three were in the magazine, but Crabrawler was completely new.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

They revealed the first evolutions of the starters for Black/White and X/Y in the September issue of the magazine. My guess as to why they haven't done the same for the Sun/Moon starters by now is probably because fans haven't been secretive with the leaks (I've noticed that they post the leaks on Pokémon's Twitter feed all the time).

They're probably avoiding anything regarding the starters so to not confirm or deny that the leaks are indeed real.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Midnight Rugarugan reminds me of Jon Talbain from Darkstalkers.

I'm hoping its solely a time of day thing and not a version exclusive evolution because I already preordered Moon but I like the Midday form much more then the Midnight one.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'm getting the feeling that the Ultra Beasts themselves are the true antagonists. Team Skull and Aether Foundation both do something that bring the Ultra Beasts into Alola and it's up to you to save the day.

The Ultra Beasts kinda remind me of the GEATHJERKs from The Wonderful 101. So I imagine them to be conquerors from space, another dimension or the far future.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I managed to get good mileage out of Pachirisu and Emolga so Dedenne being total garbage was an enormous letdown because I really wanted to use an Electric/Fairy.

EDIT: Also isn't a news update going to drop in 10 minutes?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

You don't even need all natures because the ones that increase and decrease the same stats are worthless (Quirky, Bashful, Serious, Hardy and Docile). The other worthless ones are ones that increase one defensive stat at the expense of the other (Lax and Gentle).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

The Bee posted:

That's a shame. I was waiting all this time for stupid Expand Dong jokes that just won't work if his name is Absorption instead.

You would have heard them when it was first leaked. But I suppose no Expand Dong jokes have been made due to Harambe being the new gorilla-related meme for people to go nuts over.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Xander B Coolridge posted:

For whatever reason I always get the version that's first in the conventional way of saying the names.

"Red/Blue" I got Red.
"Gold/Silver" I got Gold.
Etc.

Same except its the second of the pair.

I'm getting Moon. It doesn't particularly matter though since I'll probably get Sun after a few months.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

We're already using "ORAS" for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Why is SuMo a bad acronym?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Dexie posted:

They wouldn't be hyping him that hard if it was the case.

Then again, Lucario...

Lucario is kind of a bad example since you got a Riolu egg halfway through the game in Diamond and Pearl. Many of the later games now have it available before you get your first badge.

Rockruff might be a second attempt to emulate Lucario's success, while avoiding the mistakes made with Zoroark, but who really knows now (making it available early on in-game, and even making it the partner of the protagonist in that Sun and Moon manga).

If I had to pin down a pseudo-legendary for Gen VII, it would be Jangmo-o.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

Uh, have you seen Faticate?

Sun and Moon haven't released yet so we don't know how well the Alolan forms will fare against their regular counterparts or other Pokémon.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Chikorita is a good Pokémon in terms of concept. But really garbage as an actual starter.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

The problem with using those three types is that they don't have enough resistances, and they're usually not as colorful either. Fire/Water/Grass is easy to remember and much easier to design in a way where the type is obvious. For instance, there's no consistent, easy to distinguish color scheme for fighting and psychic types.

Not to mention that the Grass/Fire/Water type triangle is the perfect method to teach new players about Pokémon's main battle mechanic, type match ups. It's easy to understand the logic behind why Fire is good against Grass and bad against Water. You can't exactly do the same with a Fighting/Psychic/Dark triangle.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Supremezero posted:

They'll probably just lock those to Guts anyway.

I think its more likely that they'll be locked into their hidden abilities. To simultaneously make them "special" and lock Machamp out of the combo.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Rudoku posted:

It's not Gen 1 only but gently caress getting a Softboiled Clefairy, not Clefable since it can't learn Moonblast, nowadays.

I don't remember but isn't Moonlight more reliable now or is it still inferior to Softboiled on Clefairy?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Here comes the Harambe jokes (nevermind that the two primates are a lemur and an orangutan).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Sockser posted:

What the gently caress are they going to do in future gens for Rockruff evolutions?

They might have it evolve into one of the forms by default and the other form is accessible by a special method.

Or they could have each form for each version of later games.

Countblanc posted:

there haven't been any non-gen 1 Alola Forms, right? i wonder if that's just how it is or if that's just what they've decided to show off.

I'm leaning towards that Gen 1 Pokémon will be the only ones to get Alolan forms. With Mega Evolutions, they introduced a variety of Pokémon from the first four generations.

I think the main reason why they've introduced Alolan forms is to

A) Diversify the types of Gen 1 Pokémon. Notice that most of the new type combos all have types that are either rare (Like Ice, Ghost, Dragon, Steel and Fairy) or non-existent (Dark) in Gen 1.

B) Give the spotlight to Pokémon that have been around for literally years without a major upgrade or continually shafted by marketing.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 21, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

There's the possibly that future regions can have their own regional variants. Although right now, it's in the same situation as Mega Evolutions for gens past gen 4. Balancing the power creep is a difficult task.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

How big, realistically, can this series even get? We might be over 800 pokes with S&M, probably couldn't hurt to do another soft or hard reboot at some point. Like, anyone under 20 doesn't give a poo poo about Gen 1 I wouldn't think

If I had to put a hard cap on how many original Pokémon they could create for the franchise, I'd put it at 999. But the number of gimmicks like alternate forms, megas and now regional variants can and probably has artificially increased that number to more then that.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'm predicting that Alolan Persian will gain a Steel typing to become a Dark/Steel type. This is mostly due to the idea that Meowth's forehead charm is its most famous feature and regular Meowth lose it when it becomes a Persian (it turns into that generic red gem that a few other Pokémon have). Having Alolan Meowth's charm become an elaborate crown would be really cool to see.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Super training at least made EVs visible so you didn't have to preform all kinds of mental math while keeping track of them.

Has there been any word on if Super Training is returning to Sun and Moon? Or Horde Battles for that matter?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Gardevoir really looks like she should be Grass\Psychic-type but isn't.

The whole family had always reminded me of ginkgo leaves for some reason. But at least it isn't alone among fairy types that greatly resemble plants.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Gameplay-wise, it makes sense that the Flabebe family aren't grass as they're literally everyone's first introduction to fairy types in general.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I hope that not all the shorts are like this. I wouldn't mind a few "cooldown" episodes that aren't as intense as they're making them out to be.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

I don't remember the elite four coming off as super loving menacing like in that short.

If you're 8 and this is your first Pokémon game and you're under-leveled, then they probably are.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

The turtle it's based on isn't really known for being pretty either.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I wonder if they'll actually tie up that loose end. One of the very last episodes of XYZ anime has Ash deal with Xerosic and his Malamar.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Space T Rex posted:

You people like Morelull more than TURTONATOR? And what about Minior, Type: Null? There are definitely some duds worse than the very cool Turtonator.

Type: Null was purposely designed to have no design coherency to emphasize its chimeric nature. Its like whoever created it in-universe had no desire to make a good looking monster, just one that gets the job done.

Minior at least has a gimmick where it cracks to reveal a surprise inside.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

A Fire/Water Alolan Torkoal would be so cool... But alas its an impossible dream as not only are Alolan forms reserved for Gen 1 Pokémon only, but Volcanion's entire gimmick is that its type combination is a juxtaposition.

Maybe a Fire/Steel Mega Torkoal instead?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I can't remember them all off the top of my head, but I did nickname a Snorunt that'll become a Froslass "Kimosno", a female Gible "Sandra" and a Snover "Douglas".

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Yeah, the biggest issue regarding HMs was the fact that most of them were greatly outclassed by other moves in battle and when a Pokémon can only have 4 moves, moveslots are a rare commodity.

Surf managed to be well loved because of the fact that its at the same base power as moves like Thunderbolt, Flamethrower and Ice Beam, and Water types are extremely common and easy to use as most have ways of covering their weaknesses. Being reusable was also something it had over other moves like it. It wasn't until recently that Surf's usability was lessened due to making it effect partners in doubles, TMs now being reusable as well and Scald being introduced.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I wonder how linear Sun and Moon's quest will be. We only have the vaguest of ideas what the island challenges are. Is there a specific order or is it possible that there's little linearity and they could be done in almost any order (there might be one at the beginning that's mandatory, but after that, there's no set order).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Spatula City posted:

It's also not clear from the map what the overall path is. Although, it'll probably still be fairly straightforward, so there's an even leveling curve. Nobody really wants what we had in GSCHGSS.

I'd like to imagine that there's a dynamic level scaling mechanic where challenges that are completed earlier have lower levels then ones that are left for later. Even wild Pokémon may be subject to this.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I think it's all based on a misconception that "big and really heavy = very slow".

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I think the only snakes that could be native to Hawaii are sea snakes. Gaining the Water type is plausible but kind of boring. So maybe Dragon/Poison?

I kind of also want to see a Tentacool that got trapped in a freshwater lake where they became Water/Grass due to developing a symbiotic relationship with algae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Pumice is actually really light (light enough to actually float in water) so an Alolan Geodude that's much lighter (and has a much higher speed) would be amusing to see.

Just imagine Golem as a fast special attacker!