Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I Got 8,492 Problems But My Pitch Ain't One: Let's Play Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War!

It works on multiple levels!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zomborgon posted:

The Unsung War has a surprising amount of singing.

:eyepop: Oh poo poo

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I Want My Goddamn Laser Plane: Let's Play Ace Combat 05: The Unsung War!
Alvin and the War Dogs, Jet Wrecked: Ace Combat 05: The Unsung War! -I feel terrible for anyone who gets this one.
Wardog Gets Blazed: Ace Combat 05

It's all terrible but I can't seem to stop myself. :downs:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

For An "Unsung" War There's Lots Of Singing: Let's Play Ace Combat 05: The Unsung War!
Conspiracies, Superweapons, And Bad Tastes In Music: Let's Play Ace Combat 05: The Unsung War!

All the other titles I could think of were spoilers sadly...

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Four Horsemen Based On Song Tastes: Let's Play Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think crow is only accepting submissions that make dash rendar jokes, sorry everyone. "I've got 8492 problems" and "Woof, woof, woof" are both hilarious to me though

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
(doesn't exactly fit, but whatever)

They May Take Our Lives, But They'll Never Take It All Away: Let's Play Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 21, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Razgriz sounds like a suppository, honestly: Let's Play Ace Combat 5!
The Most Preachy Top Gun Simulator: Let's Play Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I Pulled Up Too Hard And Everything Is Blurry: Let's Play Ace Combat 5

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Phy posted:

:perfect:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Phy posted:

yeah this

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
idolmaster dlc included, let's play. . .

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Phy posted:

holy poo poo

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Psion posted:

I think crow is only accepting submissions that make dash rendar jokes, sorry everyone. "I've got 8492 problems" and "Woof, woof, woof" are both hilarious to me though

The Four Outriders of Echo Base - Let's Play Dash Combat 5: The Unsung Rendar

EDIT: i need to get around to really playing shadows of the empire again considering I dropped 15 bucks for a set of games I already mostly owned just to get it

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Dash Rendar Is A Better Pilot Than Nagase - Let's Play Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Phy posted:

This is really good

Zomborgon posted:

The Unsung War has a surprising amount of singing.

But so is this

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

Dash Rendar Is A Better Pilot Than Nagase - Let's Play Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

Let's not say things we can't take back now...

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Okay, okay.

He claims to be a better pilot. Did you hear him tell his story of how he totally took on the Empire by himself that one time?

VhenRa
Aug 1, 2016

Phy posted:

Have to admit, thats probably the best so far.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Could I have some context for this 'blurry' thing? Like is that an actual thing in this game?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

OddHaberdasher posted:

Could I have some context for this 'blurry' thing? Like is that an actual thing in this game?

Yes, in Ace Combat 5 yes it is! And it's the best thing ever! But we can't show you that because it's spoilers, so instead here is its first appearance.

CJacobs posted:

loving hell yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWRdMX1VaZA&t=158s

I will never not rewatch this whenever it comes up. I obviously have not played any of the Ace Combat games but Crow has made me a fan because of awesome poo poo like Puddle of Mudd featuring in this japanese-rear end plane game.

edit: I mean I know I have done literally nothing but joke and gaff about it for this entire thread but this is a really good trailer

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 22, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Yes, in Ace Combat 5 yes it is! And it's the best thing ever! But we can't show you that because it's spoilers, so instead here is its first appearance.

The irony of course being that that trailer has more spoilers in it than that one brief scene I showed you last week.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nine-gear crow posted:

The irony of course being that that trailer has more spoilers in it than that one brief scene I showed you last week.

That's how trailers do, man, it's metanarrative at its finest!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

edit: I mean I know I have done literally nothing but joke and gaff about it for this entire thread but this is a really good trailer

As soon as I posted that title, I got nostalgic for old flight sims like Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, that actually did have a blackout/redout mechanic

Can't remember if you could also rip your wings off overloading the plane, I always turned most of the realism off and basically rolled like a proto Ace Combat pitchin gobs of Sparrows at a B-29

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The Japanese have perfected the art of putting basically the entire plot of a game in an attract sequence or long trailer but in such a manner that you will have no idea what's going on anyways until you remember seeing this or that 2 second clip in a cutscene later.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

The Japanese have perfected the art of putting basically the entire plot of a game in an attract sequence or long trailer but in such a manner that you will have no idea what's going on anyways until you remember seeing this or that 2 second clip in a cutscene later.

Recently, Yakuza 0 has done this in spectacular fashion with its opening. And also Nier for just HOW MUCH poo poo it throws at you in its opening that at first seems like nothing but is actually pretty major spoiler territory.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Oh, so it's the name of the song. Don't I feel silly now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Given what I've learned about Puddle of Mudd in the past few days and weeks I'm leaning towards calling the thread "Wes Scantlin's Run-ins With Law Enforcement... & Let's Play Ace Combat 5"

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Wasn't there one earlier that was something like "Wes Scantlin's Best/Worst Run-ins with Law Enforcement" or something?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Remember that the thread title has to fall within a 75 character hard limit, including spaces. The one I posted last night just barely fit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Best Of The Wes - Let's Play Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

nine-gear crow posted:

Given what I've learned about Puddle of Mudd in the past few days and weeks I'm leaning towards calling the thread "Wes Scantlin's Run-ins With Law Enforcement... & Let's Play Ace Combat 5"

Considering how much the fat guy looks and acts like a stereotypical police officer from Louisiana, that's incredibly fitting.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

NobleSixFour posted:

Wasn't there one earlier that was something like "Wes Scantlin's Best/Worst Run-ins with Law Enforcement" or something?
It was me, a bit back:

AradoBalanga posted:

All aside, I look forward to Ace Combat 5: Wes Scantlin's Best-Worst DUI Arrest.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Wes Scantlin is my Wingman: Let's Place Ace Combat 5

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"On a distant island far from civilization, the protectors of the peace take to the skies."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The overall formula is still the same of course but, as you say, if you're paying attention the first mission really does go to show just how different AC5 wanted to be from its predecessors, and honestly from it's successors as well even if it didn't know it. Though I guess since I've never played 6 as it remains an Xbox game it could be the outlier.

Even with more to come already we've been introduced to more characters with hints at more personality then every other main character in the series. Even Pixie only really had a few short lines of dialogue where he was actually expressing things about his character. I'd even say that AC5 manages to get the player attached to locations and things like no other game in the series, even if its just a minor attachment. It'll be nice to see it all over again.

Edit: Didn't notice that links to the new thread rather than the Youtube video I just watched. Ignore me!

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 26, 2017

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Only good little boys and girls can see the Ace Combat 5 LP

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Bumping this to keep the Archive Lock from getting it now that I can actually record decent-looking PS2 footage again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
One more bump to dodge the Archive Lock. I've got one last block of missions to record for Ace Combat 5, and once that's done I should be getting around to recording the bonus material for 04 (and finishing editing the Bonus Videos for Assault Horizon Legacy too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
But can you take it all away? Can you take it all away? Well, you shoved it in my face.