Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Son Ryo posted:

Also, this game has some really, really questionable plane designs, like the Seiei, a plane that has a propeller both in front and behind it. I don't know if it might be based on some real-life experimental design, but it just looks completely ridiculous.

like this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_335

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Mr.Flibble posted:

Crow, The the "lasm" missiles for some reason take the ships out in one shot ( maybe they have a small damage radius to them), whereas if try to take out the ships with the normal missiles,like you did at the end of the video, you have take them out piece by piece.

Those missiles indeed have an AoE to them. Also this being an ace combat game you can use the anti-ship missiles on ground targets as well!

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Dreamsicle posted:

I hated this mission a lot less after I played mission 16.

It also helps that I used a Mirage 2000 instead of an A-10

speaking of which what WAS the first ace combat to have proper sounds for the A-10 gun? I assume 6.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

sandorius posted:

Oh god, it's the ravine Stonehenge mission. It's easy enough if you use a reasonably fast plane, but one of my indelible childhood memories is slowly hauling rear end south in a freshly bought A-10 Thunderbolt, being chased by some bloody persistent fighters, and there being NO BLOODY SPACE TO DODGE THE MISSILES.

Never again. I've never used that drat plane in any of the subsequent flight sims I've ever played.

eh, the A-10 is great for the pearl harbor mission if you have the patience for it. :v:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

hackbunny posted:

I hope I made someone at least briefly mad with that :v:

But drat I wouldn't like being on the receiving end of a 04 QAAM, those things are persistent. I'll fire one and get a "destroyed" notification like two kills later. In the debriefing replay it looks like my white arrow calmly glides about while enemy planes run in circles as if followed by swarms of bees. Whoever says that the AH QAAMs are as deadly as 04's have no idea what they are talking about

:agreed: Those things are straight up an I WIN button and while it is fun to chump the last mission with them the crappy 1v1 :airquote: multiplayer :airquote: always degenerated to whoever can outlast the other's supply of QAAMs.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

benzine posted:

Loved this game, played it a lot. My favorite Ace Combat, and a difficult mission to get an S.

Not that hard! you just need to not waste 5 minutes on trying to kill a yellow! :v:

Also having the F-14 instead of F/A-18 helps too.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
Is there a reason you posted about the oil bombing mission again?

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
The cool part about the stonehenge battle is that the guns are so loving huge that the otherwise worthless rocketpods are really loving effective against them. Felt drat good to kill it in the F-5. :smugdog:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

NobleSixFour posted:

The first time I ever did Excalibur was in a MiG-21bis, so I feel you.

Right on, lovely budget 60's plane brother. :smugdog::respek::smug:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
just shut up and get to AC5 as that game is one hell of a trip with some missions being hell because I suck poo poo at timing puzzles!

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
four horsemen is objectively the worst mission and anyone that refuses is clearly a robot as you have to be a loving robot to complete that loving shitfest of a mission

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
Two hints for the balloon clusterfuck: they only appear in that band of jamming on the map and two they are a shitload easier to see aganst the white sky instead of the ground so flying danger close to the ground helps. This is the mission that forced me to learn how use the camera controls to look in directions other than straight ahead. :v:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
Huh I thought the debrief mentions it being nuclear tipped or is that saved for the next mission's briefing?

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
I'll admit to being a moron and thinking story teller boy and mobius 1 was the same person until this point in the game in my first playthrough as a teen :downs:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
Do a mission in the MiG-21, the later in the game the better. :getin:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

The MiG-21 isn't in 04, sorry. (As a player plane, anyway)

huh? I thought it was? :confused:

:edit: checked the wiki, you are correct. I would have sworn it was in the game. what ace combats did have the MiG-21?

Thefluffy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 13, 2017

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
in that case, perhaps showing off some of the lesser used weapons? I know the bomblets are a bitch to use and I hated the stand off version of it even more.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

2, 5, 0, X, Legacy, Assault Horizon, and Infinity.

ah then it was 0 I was remembering. thanks!

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
yeah the fact megalith don't have any defences other than the yellows was a letdown.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

NobleSixFour posted:

I have been waiting to post this video for *months*: Megalith, but soundtrack replaced with Zero's final mission(s) and briefing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XreS7lyVIA

Edit: Also, Assault Horizon campaign recordings should begin in a couple days. Is there anything in particular people want me to highlight?

there is this Japanese video of the final mission of the AC2 remake that uses a track from NIER for the final ZOE fight that I thought was cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWHwfa8-99w :shobon:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

LostCosmonaut posted:

If they made an Ace Combat entirely with 1940s/1950s planes I would cease to be a productive member of society.

I felt that the devs of H.A.W.X 2 really wanted to make a korea era game instead what with how guns where the only weapon worth a poo poo in it. :v:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

IronSaber posted:

I'm holding out for the "Stealth" plotline where an AI pilot is struck by lightning and become self-aware or something.

isn't that what ace combat 3 was all about? especially the even shittier castrated US version of it . :v:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
the subtitle "skies unknown" makes me think it is going to be an ace combat/x-com crossover. :v:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
so how long before someone slaps tits on a plane in a game.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
the music in the arcade mode is quite good even if it is buttrock. :v:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
hearing everyone in the video talking about lovely 2000's rock reminded me that this bit of youtube stupidity exists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlDBropDcnI
and now I have to wonder how fast a full play-though video of Ace combat 6 would be if it sped up every time someone says *REDACTED*:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
clearly ace combat 7 needs to come out soon before you lose what little marbles you have left