Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Moving onto non-Belkan news, according to a news broadcast that I literally just heard a few minutes ago, Donald Trump is very skeptical of the F-35 project and may end it. It IS Trump saying that, but maybe one good thing will come of this, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
After seeing that last video, and the censored frames, it kinda makes me wonder (not sure how to phrase this): Do you think the original or censored version is more powerful? It's probably a bit presumptuous to ask something like that, coming from someone who's never seen nor touched an Ace Combat game before now.

Like for me personally I think, having never seen or played Ace Combat 4 before, that I prefer the version without the gun. While the tense armed standoff (and the Boy's respect of Yellow 13 being so deep the mere word "Go!" sends him running) has a certain quality to it, the idea that Yellow 13 so deeply cared for the Boy, that the Boy's mere words could cut so deeply that he lets the Daughter escape almost without realizing it. That he could have done anything (rather than have his actions constrained by the gun) yet the turmoil of his feelings prevented him from acting.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Time to get the most unbelievable theory out of the way: After the Belkan War, Cipher retired. The combination of his per-kill pay (more than enough to pay the bills even for a Knight) and the hush money shoved his way to keep everything quiet about how close V2 came to destroying the world meant he had no need to further work in a career he had lost all taste for, or any line of work at all. He simply stepped out of his cockpit, disappeared into the world at large and lived a quiet life (as quiet as anywhere gets in Strangereal, anyway). He was never 'pulled out for one last job', he never decided that he preferred to 'live on the battlefield', he simply decided that he did not want or need to fly anymore.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 15, 2017

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
To this discussion, I can only offer two things to say: 1) That the slowly falling plane pretty much has to be Yellow 13 as I would imagine 'blowing the gently caress up' would not allow for that handkerchief to be in it's nearly pristine condition.

2) That there is still meaning in how things ended up here (don't know if I have the words for this but...). Mobius may have already killed 13, but there were still 3 survivors (at the time...). If they had survived and shot down Mobius, then what 13 and 4 had made through their efforts would have survived, their 'spirit' would have lived on, both in 'Yellow Squadron' as a group and in those pilots specifically. But, as it turned out, well...13 seems to have been rather insular, only opening himself up to his friends ( a group that seems to have consisted of his fellow Yellows and, formerly, the Boy and Girl). A select group that was killed off entirely by Mobius One. Both of our previous pilots seem to have left the battlefield after their 'final ace' (Cipher and his buddy, Phoenix and his A.I. mirror), whereas Mobius (from what I gather) has a highly successful career after the second Continental War. This is the final tragedy of Yellow 13: to have his friends and family picked off one by one, to be killed and have the last vestiges of his legacy killed in turn and worst of all, to be reduced to merely being one of the first names in Mobius One's illustrious career instead of a final, shining achievement. Were it not for the Storyteller Boy, there would be no 'lasting mark' on the world to prove he existed.

TL;DR You think tragedy would be watching 13's plane fall to earth? I reckon this is bad enough.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Kadorhal posted:

(because there's not enough money involved for everyone to be at the "bomb the poo poo out of innocent people for a simple coverup" level yet like with what happened after the Night Raven thing).

You say that, but then you remember the bombing mission sent to San Salvacion after the Yellows left the sky. EDIT: By which I mean, that would destroy any evidence that the "pilots" were evacuated before the actual attack, hypothetically.

Good Dumplings posted:

If it helps, it's not really a tragedy. 13 did his best, it's just that he and everybody he knows is fated to get wrecked because they all happened to be on the same battlefield as you.

Why do you still challenge me?
You can't win, it's not your destiny
Like a moth that flies into the flame
You won't return, you'll lose your name...

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 19, 2017

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Speaking of Crow's bonus video I have two suggestions, take one or both:

Take down Yellow Squadron in Farbanti with the A-10

or

For Megalith, take the fastest plane and never let up on the afterburner. Taking Yellow-belly Squadron is optional (and likely impossible).

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

NobleSixFour posted:

Edit: Also, Assault Horizon campaign recordings should begin in a couple days. Is there anything in particular people want me to highlight?

These 'helicopter barrel rolls' I have heard so much about intrigue me. I wouldn't mind if you showed that off.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Speaking of the video itself, does Katina make a deliberate attempt to emulate 04's HUD, with the rest of 5 having it's own style? Because seeing that HUD with the graphical changes of 5 just seems to make it look wrong to me somehow.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
The only problem I have with Ace Combat 7 right now (besides the inevitable hype backlash) is the lack of VR story mode (though I suppose having VR mode would mean missing out on enemy ace cutscenes).

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
That's probably it, after 04 we have a HUD and graphical style that's similar, but not quite the same, essentially back to back. It's just a little thing at the back of my mind.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I know it's not your comic, Auto, but the Ace Combat Zero should have had the boss saying "it's time".

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Seeing as everyone else is talking about AH (and as someone who really had no exposure to Ace Combat before this LP series), is it worth getting AH just as a taste of Ace Combat before AC7 comes out whenever? Or should I just stick to trying to find an emulator of the 'Golden Trilogy'?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
(doesn't exactly fit, but whatever)

They May Take Our Lives, But They'll Never Take It All Away: Let's Play Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 21, 2017

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Could I have some context for this 'blurry' thing? Like is that an actual thing in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Oh, so it's the name of the song. Don't I feel silly now.