Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Fun fact that I haven't seen mentioned upthread: Coming to the end of WW2, the Soviets really didn't have anything resembling a strategic bomber force. Stalin had tried to get us to sell them a couple hundred B-29s through LendLease, but we turned him down pretty hard every time. But! All was not lost, because over the course of the war, something like three or four B-29s had had to make emergency landings in Soviet territory after various combat missions against Japanese targets, and because of some quirk in the nonaggression treaty b/t the Soviets and Japan, this meant that the crew and planes had to be interned until the end of the war. We got the crews back, but it seems the planes all "fell off the back of a truck" on the way to the checkpoint, if you take my meaning. So, Stalin ordered the Soviet aircraft industry to reverse-engineer the B-29 so that it could be copied, which it was, entering service as the Tu-4 "Bull". After a few decades of service as the main Soviet strategic bomber, it was used as the base for Tupolev's next entry in Soviet strategic bombing, which was, you guessed it, the Tu-95 "Bear".

(Another fun fact: One of the B-29 airframes that had made a forced landing was actually fully repaired and restored to service among the Tu-4s, but the flight crew liked the original nose art from when it was in American service so much that they decided to keep it. I'll edit in pictures of the two liveries when I can get to them.)

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah, one of the pilots who evaluated the captured B-29 also was a test pilot on the Tu-4 and said something like, "When I go to sit down in the B-29 I always hit my head on the ceiling; the only difference with the Tu-4 is that the ceiling is from a different factory"

Also I may be misremembering but I think another pilot/co-pilot pair that evaluated another B-29 did not know English at all so they spent the first month or so just sitting in the cockpit with a giant Russian-English dictionary and some tape to relabel the switches in Russian

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Slight tangent: Assault Horizon leans WAY too hard on DFM (to the point where I can count the air-to-air kills I got not in DFM probably on my hands), but...I have to admit that I find the thing where if you go into DFM on a bomber there's locational damage preference for the engines kind of neat actually.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

VolticSurge posted:

That was the one that was CALL OF DOODY WITH PLANEZ,right? I remember hating that one. Mostly because of the mission where you have to shoot down a missle. The game gives you pretty much no time to do anything,and if when you fail,the checkpoint places you a good way away from the missile,guaranteeing a failure loop. At least,that's how I remember it.
Through far more playthroughs than I should admit to, I've determined that the missile is simply invincible until the last possible second, i.e. when the distance text turns red and Magic starts pooping his Pampers. Basically it's just like any of the many scripted TGT_LEAD enemies.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Speaking of stuff with fun props, how about that one autogyro powered by turbines at the end of the rotor blades. I wanna say Fairey Rotodyne?

Also, my very very first introduction to Ace Combat was when a friend of mine rented American AC3 from a Blockbuster and we played the first mission. We were too young to pay attention to the briefing, and didn't understand the time limit, so when it started getting low we hightailed it out over the ocean because we thought it might be counting down to a bomb going off. ...We didn't make it past the first mission. Although it says something about how much of a giant Ace Combat/arcade flight sim stan I turned out to be that such a lackluster game ended up being what hooked me into it.

Also, is it just me, or is the AC4 ace paint scheme for the Typhoon very similar, perhaps intentionally so, to the UPEO scheme?

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 24, 2016

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Psion posted:

It'll hit people like an avalanche, that's for sure

Better not make too many puns before we get there or else when we do the prospects will be (Red) Baron

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
If she is dead, one wonders how she would think of being remembered in this way.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Regarding what Crow and frozentreasure said about any nods that ACX has to Electrosphere (spoilered just in case): In ACX, there are a number of prototype planes you can unlock. The first such plane or two have the designation prefix XF-, but everything else is XR- or YR-, and most of the XR/YR ones have a FALKEN-like COFFIN cockpit and a very Delphinus/Asterozoaesque front end, so I'd consider that a significant nod indeed. I've nearly completed my first playthrough and have yet to actually hear the words "UPEO", "General Resource", or "Neucom" despite the fact that those are clearly prototype Neucom planes. And yes, there are some ludicrously SF superweapons, like a city defended by a ring of what are essentially turbolasers as Crow mentioned.

Also, to address what Crow said near the end of the video about sometimes being able to clip through other planes and sometimes not: I've determined that it seems to be based almost entirely on whether the other plane is flying a scripted path or not (the lone exception seems to be the AWACSes and KC-10 that show up after the Mission Update in AC5's Desert Thunder, which don't seem to be scripted but you can definitely crash into).

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 29, 2016

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Son Ryo posted:

On this note, what do people think about Assault Horizon's story? Its gameplay was terrible of course, but I think it's about as close as we'll get to an Ace Combat 'without anime stories or characters' and I just thought it was incredibly bland and I didn't find myself getting invested in the story at all.

Yep. Me too. It doesn't help that what little plot it *does* have is almost exactly the same as HAWX2. (Also, as a connoisseur of airport DadReading--Clive Cussler, Tom Clancy, et cetera--the fact that the story was by Jim DeFelice makes things that much funnier, because he is third-rate even among that crowd.)

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

radintorov posted:

I remember reading that. I seem to recall he was already a bit of an Ace Combat fan and so he wasn't happy when they told him what plot he was supposed to write for the game.

Do you happen to have a source? I believe you, I just can't find it and I'm curious.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Psion posted:

He's got it a little mixed up there - the F-35B is the V/STOL version, the F-35C is the naval carrier-capable version. But, yes, I would have loved to have seen how they managed to make the F-35B doing hover tricks and poo poo into an Ace Combat mission.

I wonder if anyone has modded a hovering F-35B into the helicopter missions on the PC version.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah. It's like, you know what else locks that in? HAWX. And you don't want to be like HAWX.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
In HAWX2 they do get the Su-27 part right, but then in the second to last mission there are a few Terminators that bounce you and they're labeled SU-27. ?!?!?

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
If you want a good comparison of HAWX and AC, I'd recommend watching Cooked Auto's LPs on Youtube. Unfortunately they're not complete because he replaced the BGM and that got some of the videos flagged and taken down, but they're still an excellent look at the games not only next to AC but on their own terms as well.

In terms of other franchises besides those two, I did buy Air Force Delta: Strike along with my PS2 because the vendor didn't have any PS2 ACs on him and I needed something to tide me over until the Amazon order arrived. I haven't played it since the AC games arrived, so my impressions are not the best gauge you could have, but it definitely seems to have a bit of the zaniness that makes AC what it is, with what appear to be some RPG elements added in. You also get piston planes! And the back of the box had a screengrab that looked like an F-15 of some sort with the entire literal Earth in its rearview mirror, so it might be even more over the top, I don't know, I never got that far.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Yep! Budget-title as gently caress. At least JASF still looks worse.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

Eh, I could argue that both games has their moments (which I have done before) but they're kind of lost in a sea of drudgery and boredom. Or in an abundance of gimmicks as is the case with 2.

I agree. Like, the OFF mode (at least in the first game) makes air-to-air combat SO MUCH FUN once you figure it out. On a console, anyway.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
My biggest beef with HAWX2 is honestly kind of a minor thing but still so very annoying. When you play the fleet defense mission in free mission mode, there's a bug that skips the loadout selection screen so you just immediately launch with whatever the last loadout you used with your selected plane was.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

Hah, so that's why picking nothing but the Harrier is kind of pointless on that map. I know I ranted about it on the video at least but had no idea it was actually a bug. Also I thought it just grabbed it's primary loadout in this case rather than doing that.

That might be it also. I honestly don't care about it that much to figure out which it is, since it makes the mission drat near unplayable either way.

Also, Assault Horizon does suck in a lot of ways, but at least you can do both an inside and an outside High-G turn.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Glad I apparently didn't sound as stupid as I thought I did! I had a total blast doing this and I'd love to do it again with whatever you've still got open.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Not only is the Death Rider skin cool, it's free! (At least on 360, I can't speak to the other platforms)

Also...yes, fine, I have decided I will LP Joint Assault when it comes time, as long as yall are willing to put up with the fumblings of an LP n00b. Double bonus points if someone else out there is willing to help me show off the two-players-required portions. Here are some things to share about it just to get yall excited:
-Several missions reuse real-world locations that have been previously used in Ace Combat games
-I would contend that the soundtrack has a few entries in the top ten most bomb-rear end songs in the entire franchise
-Fire Youngman, as well as a couple tracks from Air Combat, make an appearance in the boss fights
-Despite the fact that I have literally never heard of the AWACS VA before playing this game, he is easily the equal of Keynote from Legacy (and one of two, perhaps three VAs in the whole game that do not induce a full-body cringe)
-THEY USE FIRE YOUNGMAN FOR BOSS FIGHTS

Lastly, Crow, keep an eye on your Skype inbox for a mission req from me.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
One thing that would honestly improve my opinion of Assault Horizon is if they ever put in a QF-16 skin. Which I would then proceed to NEVER not use. Because lols.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
About what Skippy and Crow said about the Ken Burns-ness of Zero: Whenever I play Inferno or the San Salvacion mission I can't remember the name of, the music and atmosphere always make me feel like I'm watching a documentary about the mission.

ETA: Crow, FYI, the suggested video flag thing still lists your current LP as AC2.

Second edit because I don't want to double post but no one else has posted in the last 24 hours somehow: Yesterday on Youtube I found supercuts of every line said in all of the PS2 ACs, totally free of any BGM. Useful if you want your text alert to be Pixy screaming COME ON!!!, I guess. Obviously don't listen to the 04 or 5 ones if you don't want to be spoiled.
04: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6eOs1SSQyk
5 (sorted by wingman!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMfznRchtvQ
Zero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOHFYqFIt8k

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 13, 2016

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Pixy is a total bron(y?/ie?) though. Totally owns many fedoras.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Crow, I must say I disagree with you--I think Invincible Fleet is a much different mission than Lifeline, and I way prefer it. I think that might be because in Lifeline you're just plinking away at an endless queue of ground targets that aren't moving or really making it difficult in any way, then in Invincible Fleet you're trying to bag them all before they can pull up stakes (not reflected in gameplay necessarily, but the atmosphere is still there).

Also, another possible reason for the game title: This is, after all, after the impact of the asteroid Ulysses 1994XF04.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Cythereal posted:

Well, that mission's going to be one hell of an ecological disaster for the region. I don't envy the poor bastards trying to contain this oil spill.

Gives new meaning to "blowout preventer". Not to mention "top kill".

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Psion posted:

The ground-attack mode thing is called ASM, not DFM. you see, the more acronyms, the more realistic it is!!

My head is still ringing from the force of my facepalm the first time I played the pipeline mission. Highly Integrated Target System? Really?

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Random question, but have you ever been able to get the Global ASM skill to work in Free Mission?

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

sandorius posted:

Oh god, it's the ravine Stonehenge mission. It's easy enough if you use a reasonably fast plane, but one of my indelible childhood memories is slowly hauling rear end south in a freshly bought A-10 Thunderbolt, being chased by some bloody persistent fighters, and there being NO BLOODY SPACE TO DODGE THE MISSILES.

Never again. I've never used that drat plane in any of the subsequent flight sims I've ever played.

Dude the A-10 is the best plane for that mission. It goes so slowly that if you brake for any amount of time at all the pursuing fighters just shoot right past you due to their scripting and you just pick them off easy as pie.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Nanomashoes posted:

The next game can stick you in a real poo poo situation if you pick the A-10 for every ground mission, it's great.

Yeah, I have got some...*thoughts* about the way AC5 handles planes/weapons that I will unload when we get there.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Especially since the PSP titles are basically barely modified versions of AC4, and double especially since air combat in ACJA takes place at like half speed, which I'll go into more when I LP it.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
It is nigh on impossible for me to play Merlon with anything other than the A-10. It's the only plane slow enough that I cannot possibly fly into the laser at the end.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Verdafolio posted:

i appreciate the Osea t-shirt

I find that I *want* the Osea t-shirt

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I just realized that the Tornado DLC plane must never have been released for PC (it's not in the Enhanced Edition anyway). What a strange omission!

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I'm pretty sure the F-5 is the only non-carrier capable plane in the Ace Combat series that consistently gets modeled with an obvious arrestor hook. Since the Navy operates the F-5N aggressor squadrons IRL, I wonder if they are meant to be able to land on carriers? They certainly seem to be small enough that it might work. Relatedly, for some weird reason, the PSP titles made the X-02 carrier-capable. Although I guess since by the time of ACX it's been around for at least 25-30 years, more than enough time for a country inclined to make it carrier-capable to find a way.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I always just thought it was called Operation Bunker Shot because you were, you know, shooting at bunkers...

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it seems that all AC6 DLC, as well as the game itself, is gone from the store.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I honestly can't believe it took them until the 3rd Horizon game to just go ahead and make you the festival-runner from the beginning. Because, at least in the first two, you are pretty much literally God and no one seems to care.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Okay, so after talking with Crow a bit, I am proud to announce that me LPing Assault Horizon is officially going to be a thing. I have all the hardware, and most of it is set up, so I hope to start recording footage sometime within the next few days. I was thinking of doing the PC version, but if for whatever reason there was sufficient outcry I could supplement that with the 360 version. Additionally, I know that Crow et al did show off multiplayer and a tiny bit of coop at one point, but if there's interest in a more detailed look at it than that, I'd love to get some names of people who would be into providing the other warm bodies for that.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Glad to see this many folks signing on! I'd also love to play some AH MP with y'all just in general, especially since no one else in the world seems to still be doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Relatedly, one of the colors for the Flanker in the PSP titles is a copyright friendly approximation of the colors of the Russian Knights, the RuAF aerobatic team.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 6, 2016