Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

HereticMIND posted:

I am actually sorely tempted to write up a short little drabble that has Dash (who's revealed to be both Cipher and Phoenix) and Larry chilling out in a bar somewhere in Oured, with Dash mentioning that his son (aka Mobius One) is flying for ISAF and his other son (Blaze from AC5) is flying for Osea against Dash's wishes.

How to do it without being cheesy...

Please do it. Let it be cheesy. Let SOMETHING good come out of this loving year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I keep phrasing and rephrasing and rerephrasing this in my head and I'm still not entirely happy with the words, but I have to say this anyway. Your job is first and foremost to take care of yourself, so you do that. God knows how many times I've had to do this, but I would've been screwed if I hadn't. Take all the time you need, because I can certainly relate to being laid right the gently caress out by this thing.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrQrkZtg-mo

Technically very minor story spoilers for AC5, but I think we could all stand to listen to this song today.

Ninja edit cause I didn't read the comments on the video, which it seems do contain pretty king size spoilers...so, you know, don't scroll down.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Thefluffy posted:

The cool part about the stonehenge battle is that the guns are so loving huge that the otherwise worthless rocketpods are really loving effective against them. Felt drat good to kill it in the F-5. :smugdog:

The first time I ever did Excalibur was in a MiG-21bis, so I feel you.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
So, for those who have signed up to help Assault Horizon along (so far, we have: Cooked Auto, radintorov, Son Ryo, Kadorhal, Psion, and of course Crow), I was thinking we could maybe have some kind of Commiseration Multiplayer Jam Session sometime soon? How do people feel about this?

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Unfortunately I think I'm going to be away the next three weekends, although maybe a Friday thing could be made to happen.

Although in all honesty the stress from the election has ruined my sleep schedule and somehow made me much better at functioning on zero sleep so I could probably make a weekday work if we had to.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I just accidentally overwrote my AC5 save. loving come on.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I'm really hoping that MS03A means Mission 3A and they're gonna do a Zero style nonlinear plot

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

CJacobs posted:

japanese rear end-plane game.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Especially since the weapons in most attack planes are angled down, making it extra hard to accurately dumbfire at an air target with them.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
So, how do people feel about Assault Horizon jam session maybe the weekend after this one?

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
What is people's preferred method for coordination and/or in game communication?

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
My PSP low-key temporarily broke yesterday (still not sure what happened but I think it might have been to do with it having rained yesterday and I had it in my breast pocket on the way to the subway), so I feel you.

Also, Saturday or Sunday for the Assault Horizon jam?

Edit because I don't want to double-post: I just got this month's issue of Combat Aircraft and there was a two-page feature centered on a couple photos that leaked late this summer of...drum roll please...a couple of F-117s taxiing to the runway at Holloman. That's right. The Nighthawk might be back.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 1, 2016

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
That's what I thought, but as per the article, apparently the Raptor can't use LGBs (which I thought the JDAM was, but apparently I was incorrect; it's GPS-guided), which means that if the target is not stationary, the mission is hosed. The F-35 can do this, but who knows when that'll be online. Apparently the storage situation for the Nighthawks is such that the lot of them could be brought back online fairly quickly should the need for such a mission arise.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah man, 5 is honestly my least favorite of the Golden Trilogy for some of the decisions that got made, that one high among them...

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
The AtG one is alright IMO, especially for the bonkers idea of towing a loving battleship up a river for artillery support. The AtA one though...if you're not careful and run too low on missiles before the mission update, good loving luck lining up a shot on those AWACS/tankers with just guns while also dodging the 20 fighters that show up...

The absolute worst mission though, hands down, is Ghosts of Razgriz. I cannot loving stand how no matter how low you are the Typhoons always manage to put eight missiles right up your rear end. That mission is the only reason why I can never finish an Ace run...of course before a bunch of weird script breaking glitches started showing up for me, making the game borderline unplayable...

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Totally unrelated to anything, but I just learned that not only is there a Belka Deli a 36 minute drive from my house, but a Belka International Inc on Osean Avenue--rather, Ocean Avenue--quite close to same.

I will report on the menu of the former as soon as possible, especially if it has a Scinfaxi Sub on it.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Psycho Landlord posted:

This was the thing that struck me first about 6, actually. I knew going into it that it had a focus on mass combat and hundred plane fights and stuff, but the fact that they actually created some reasonable smoke and vapor physics surprised me and having a badass afterimage of your fight stick around for a few minutes really helped sell the scale. It was a pretty uniquely AC6 thing, too, I can't think of any other flight games that bothered with that particular bit of flair.

Oh man, not to mention being able to see other planes' burner plumes from tens of miles away. That was what really sold the scale of it for me.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Maybe this game will finally solve the mystery of why every loving military on Strangereal broadcasts unencrypted on the same frequency

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I just watched the 2nd trailer again to try to get a glimpse of the painted-over Osean tail, and there was like a 1/4 second shot of an F-104.

CENTURY FIGHTERS IN ACE COMBAT FINALLY GODDAMN

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

The project would be headed up by rewound physicist and munitions expert Dr. Yang Tomic and overseen by the hastily assembled Central Usean Treaty Organization (UTO).

Found the second-best one.

Also, wanted to chime in with my own personal favorite appearance of Stonehenge in popular culture. In the Stephen Baxter novel "Timelike Infinity", aliens take over Earth in the far future. So some rebels basically turn Stonehenge into a time-machine-cum-spaceship to travel back and warn the slightly-less-far future, because they know that the aliens won't gently caress with anything going on in/around Stonehenge as it is a human sacred site.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Sounds like 6 tho

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Something I noticed during Stonehenge that I kept forgetting to mention until now is that the flyby shot of the Fulcrum during the mid mission cutscene is one of two instances in all of Strangereal canon that the Good Guys are shown operating Soviet aircraft (apart from player choice), the other being a cinematic in ACX.

In non Strangereal Ace Combat, obviously you do get loyal Russian NPCs in Assault Horizon, and a cinematic in Joint Assault shows an Antares member flying a Terminator in Scarface camo.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Maybe someone will finally buy the loving Silent Eagle

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Please tell me this will be archived in some fashion

Also you have Gunn listed as flying an F-2 rather than an F-15

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 18, 2016

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
About 20 seconds' flight in the direction you start, there's a cargo ship on the river right near one of the blips, with a bridge tower the exact color of the balloons. I literally get fooled by it every single time.

Edit: I believe the S-rank requires you to kill 24 balloons if you are gonna get the ace, and 26 without.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 19, 2016

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Update on Assault Horizon: I had intended to begin recording footage over the last few weeks, but there's been an ongoing medical issue with my cat that has reduced my spoons pool to near zero. Hopefully that should resolve within the next month or so.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
It's taken me a while to realize/admit this to myself, but properly tuned, the Forneus in Joint Assault is easily the best handling plane of any Ace Combat I've ever played. You can almost do a complete aileron roll by blowing on the stick, pitch response is utterly instantaneous, and outside and inside turns perform the exact same. It might actually handle better than the UAVs in the 6 boss fight.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Finally remembered to post something that I keep meaning to, then forgetting to. I don't think the Erusian aircraft are from squadrons with color names. Rather, I think they're using the Russian practice of referring to individual airframes by the tail/nose number and the color of that number. A real world example is the Su-37 prototype known as "711 White", after which the default Terminator livery in AC0 is modeled. (I wanted to link a Wikipedia article, but "bort number" doesn't seem to have one.)

Additionally, I was watching another LP of AC4 and noticed that the XMAAs have a large amount of blue on them (at least on the FA-18), which I believe would designate them in the real world as dummy, practice munitions. Probably just a case of only having those available to model.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
And then when they CAN get a real weapon to model, they model it with the fire selector on safe...

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Anchor Point always reminds me of Anchorhead. Because desert.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
The Farbanti Yellow fight with only guns, plane is your choice.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I refuse to believe that Cipher is that much of a mumbler

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Kadorhal posted:

once there's only one left you're necessarily forced to focus on the guy who's on your tail

Maybe it's also from fewer Yellow units translating to more processing power per unit as you shoot them down, a la Space Invaders?

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Do Stonehenge or Megalith ACES style: in an F-5, upside down, nap-of-the-earth.

More seriously, do any mission with the Wyvern's paint scheme #3 (EASA); I don't think I've ever seen anybody use it in a video before and I have looked, believe you me. Which is a shame because it's loving GORGEOUS.

Also gently caress everybody hatin' on Blurry. I put it on the jukebox while playing pool at the bar Saturday and I swear I very nearly became a fighter pilot by that very act.

Edit:

Dr. Snark posted:

and every Ace Combat since has made sure that it is awesome in their own unique ways.
Fun fact, there is a very neat game-by-game stylistic breakdown of the soundtracks and how the soundtracks' styles relate to the game(s)' theme(s) and settings on the Wikipedia article of the series.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 23, 2017

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I fixed.

Edit because I just came up with a loving wild Cipher fan theory that involves The Bureau. Better than you think, I promise. I just can't be arsed to spoiler tag stuff on my phone so I'll come back and type it later.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 23, 2017

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I have been waiting to post this video for *months*: Megalith, but soundtrack replaced with Zero's final mission(s) and briefing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XreS7lyVIA

Edit: Also, Assault Horizon campaign recordings should begin in a couple days. Is there anything in particular people want me to highlight?

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 25, 2017

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

paragon1 posted:

Use the Idolmaster skins whenever possible so that we know you are taking this seriously. Thank you.

Does this mandate include the Pac-Man F-35? Because it really should.

And at risk of sounding overly maudlin and/or political, I'd just like to edit in a shout out to Crow and everyone else involved in this LP for being part of what feels like the only thing on the Internet I actually look forward to anymore since the 20th.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 26, 2017

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
loving YES. When do preorders for the Xbox version open???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Thefluffy posted:

I felt that the devs of H.A.W.X 2 really wanted to make a korea era game instead what with how guns where the only weapon worth a poo poo in it. :v:

Sounds like you never got the MiG Alley DLC?