Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I don't know of all the instances that it has happened, or exactly what any of it has been about, but I know that a bunch of mods have been "doxxed" or otherwise harassed by creepy idiot people. I'm guessing that most mods & admins are people who were fairly heavily involved in the site before they became mods & admins, and probably knew about, at least, Something Sensitive, and about various stories of goons going way beyond the line, being super creepy about the personal lives of both mods & admins, other users, and targets of various mock threads.

What I'm wondering is, whether the possibility of doxxing, or other forms of stalking and harassment, is something that entered your decision-making process when you got asked to be a mod or admin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
thanks to everyone who replied, by the way!

i'm not exactly sure when or why it happened, but i think you're right that at some point a change happened with doxxing and stalking stuff. It used to be super common in all sorts of threads, i feel, with ask/tell & e/n having a lot of it at a point, with people trying to figure out if stories were true or not. Sooner or later some goon would triumphantly pipe out that they found out a bunch of irl info on an OP, trying to prove their stories true or false.

It's a good change, and I don't notice it happening much any longer, but i hope that it's something you mods keep an eye on, because goons who "happen" to find weird off-site stuff on each other and reverse image search pictures are just creepy.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

i could be wrong, but i'm guessing most posters usually only visit a handful or less out of the many subforums there are, so it might be neat to hear what some of your favourite threads in the forums you mod in are. funny or informative, doesn't matter, but stuff you think is good enough and has a wide enough appeal that it deserves some spotlight.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

neat. i haven't read all of it, since the AI thread is a long read; mostly just sorted by the OP's post alone and looking at the pics + OP posts, but those threads are both legitimately cool. i don't mean this as a back-hand at the current GBS, but those kind of project or effort threads were kinds of threads that i liked a bunch in GBS, like when some goons built a submarine & i just figured that sort of thread had mostly just died out, but it makes sense for them to be all over the subforums.

i don't know if it has been done before, but i'd think threads like that would appeal to a wider audience than TCC and AI alone, and that a neat thing to try out with the rotating sub forum, might be a forum that features an on-going thread or two from each of the different subforums.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

so DARE just got permabanned again, only managing to make a few posts. the guy is really easy to recognize imo, so just how many reports do you get when this guy makes a re-reg? it seems like he gets outed nearly instantly.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

i know that it is all mental illness and that one expression of it isn't really more sad & serious than another, but i like the kind of delusions that people had back in the old days better, where people thought they were Napoleon and they were conquering the world, instead of delusions that centres around online forums and video games. the scope was just grander.

it is like that one Lucid Dreaming Megathread where goons were trying to get themselves to be able to dream anything that's possible, and everyone was having trouble visuazling themselves chopping firewood. it just puts a damper of the whole concept of the limitless power of imagination.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

i just read what i thought was a really dumb & petty user report from elsewhere on the forum. you mods & admins should have a PYF thread for posting the dumbest reports, PMs and complaints in.

i get that you want people to be able to help out some, but i'm guessing some people are just super entrenched in forum drama bs, or are so frightfully stupid, that sharing the weirdest & dumbest reports or PMs wouldn't prevent people from reporting useful stuff.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Since there has been some recent talk about possible forums changes, I thought it might be neat to ask you mods & admins, and any formers ones that lurk the thread, too, what it was that originally made you join SA, and whether it is the same stuff that keeps you interested in SA now, too.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Ettin posted:

I read the front page/lurked for a while and signed up for grognards.txt, a thread I closed forever when I became TG mod. :getin:

I forgot about grognards.txt. Howcome it was closed? I didn't follow it closely, but it was a neat & weird thread to read a couple of pages in every so often.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Either that or one or another of the iterations of "worse/best/remarkable experiences in tabletop gaming" are what got me to sign up for an account. grognards.txt got really depressing after a while, though. Such overwhelming bitterness.

Come to think of it, I stopped reading it at a point where the stories were less funny weird, and more just horrible. As I remember, at some point every other story turned into tales of gamemasters trying to strong-arm players into sexual fantasies, and loads of in-game rape.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

This is more of a technical forums question, but this seems like a space that might hold the answer:

Is the "views" counter for threads accurate? I noticed, an active thread, and not a sticky or an old thread either, with like + x70 times as many views as replies. Like 12 replies and nearly 1300 views, and it just made me wonder if the view counters are actually right or if some tech issues or bots or whatever blows them up.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I like what I've seen of TGSR and don't really get complaints about it being more insular than other SA subs, or difficult to post in without being probated. There is close to 60 SA subs, and it is nice to have one where trolls aren't given the leeway to derail otherwise interesting and sensitive topics.

Maybe some probations are unfair, I don't know, but when someone complains about being treated unfairly, it just seems readily apparently that they are usually sulking about endless boring trolling or out-right bigotry not being tolerated.

`Nemesis posted:

There's a tech question thread in QCS (QQcs these days)

Thanks!

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

So, apparently in addition to probations, bans and permabans, there used to be a couple of other forum-punishments, like "forums cancer" and "hellbanning" - could anyone, mods or non-mods, explain what those, and possibly other no longer used forum punishments did? Can mods/admins still request or do those now, at all?

If anyone remember hellbans actually being used, any idea of how long someone might have been hellbanned for before noticing it, like, did someone ever get hellbanned and just posted for months without noticing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

So, the thread seems to be working again, but I'm assuming that this thread will have this issue on every new page, so I'd like to request that a mod or admin make a new thread. Also, thanks for answers - I'm still curious if anyone was ever hellbanned for months without knowing of it, though.

And I have a question that could perhaps be used in the new thread; basically it'd be neat to hear how the behind-the-scenes stuff works. I thought I had it figured out, but apparently not! What I specifically mean to ask is how the IK, mod and admin roles differ, and how the report and mod-queue system works.

• Locked thread