Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Favored Enemy (tbp)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Skoll posted:

Why did you guys accept being mods/admins, and are there any inherent perks of being a mod / former mod or admin besides the forum cop powers?

Because I really like Trad Games, and now I can rename all its threads whenever I want :buddy:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

Moderators and admins:

Besides yourself, who is your favorite moderator and why

Also, who is your favorite admin and why

FactsAreUseless. :swoon:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

drat, that sounds awful

could you get ettin here to talk about it

I still do, sort of! I'm working on some projects right now and RPGnet has a whole team of other mods so I've been taking it easy.

It's alright, but SA is definitely chiller. A lot of things I'd be expected to probate for over there would just get ignored here, if they got reported at all. On the other hand they never had radium :buddy:

The tabletop community/industry has plenty of drama though so I've seen some poo poo. There's an offsite where folks who got banned have been complaining about it for like ten years, and when RPGnet made me a mod they were convinced Something Awful had "invaded" to install me. I haven't checked in ages but I'm probably a cuck now.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

The trad gaming community online is entirely poo poo like this. It sucks.

It's not that bad! :negative: I think the main problem is there's user overlap between the big communities and a lot of them are non-confrontational, so it's easy to be an rear end in a top hat all over the place. (A lot of tabletop chat happens on Google+ these days and good loving luck avoiding drama there.) The paywall seems to help Trad Games though.

Hogge Wild posted:

haha

You make it sound chiller than I thought, but then again I've never posted there, only read some drama that people have linked here. Did anyone from there buy an account here to meltdown about you? And would you mind sharing some dramas from there?

How chill it seems probably depends on how you feel about the rules. RPGnet's got more of them (turns out tabletop gamers like long lists of rules, who knew) and SA just works better for some people. We have goons who post on both though.

Nobody's bought an account to melt down here, they mostly go places they can do it for free. There's an indie guy who hates both SA (because the old mock thread grognards.txt made fun of him) and RPGnet (because we permabanned him and I wrote the ban message), and I know a few TG ex-regulars probably stopped posting because they're fans of his work. I haven't really read his posts for a couple years but he once drew up a conspiracy chart putting Something Awful at the center of an industry-wide plot to make everyone think he's a weirdo, and last I heard he still trawls through online trad games communities for things to melt down about. If people did that poo poo in Trad Games I'd probably just ban them for being boring.

Not sure what else I could tell that isn't too off-topic or too boring (a lot of meltdowns boil down to "which edition of Dungeons & Dragons is better" which is barely interesting from the inside) but there's always this old one about a dude who blew his lid because someone registered an account with his name.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I read the front page/lurked for a while and signed up for grognards.txt, a thread I closed forever when I became TG mod. :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Grandmother of Five posted:

I forgot about grognards.txt. Howcome it was closed? I didn't follow it closely, but it was a neat & weird thread to read a couple of pages in every so often.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

grognards.txt got really depressing after a while, though. Such overwhelming bitterness.

After a while the well of new, interesting content ran dry and the thread would turn into "this guy says D&D is bad"/reposts of the same few wacky niche bloggers for pages until some new drama happened. Plus it really did get depressing, I think ending it made Trad Games a happier place. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

Post a screen cap of the current thread titles.

Ask and you shall receive, friend

• Locked thread