Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
In CB, they mention something along the lines of the null zone on the planet being a bullet from a headshot weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Given the ending of Nemesis Games, however, it might not be an alien species exactly.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

A human heart posted:

lol Ty Franck began developing the world of The Expanse as an idea for a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. After a number of years the idea shifted to become the setting for a tabletop game. Abraham, who had already written several books on his own at this point, noticed the depth of the world that Franck had created and thought they should make a book series out of it: "People who write books don't do this much research."

I've heard it wasn't a tabletop game, not initially. It was a play-by-post online RP game with Holden, Amos, Alex, Naomi and Shed all being player characters.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

mossyfisk posted:

I never understood how Belters could ever have an economy in this setting. Everything they do is based around cargo shipping, yet they suck at it. Why would you give your shipping contract to belters who have to burn at 0.5G or whatever, when you could get an Earther crew who can go at 1.2G?

Also regarding Mars, my analogy is "Why keep your cult in England when the New World is discovered".

Belters can burn at 1.2G, they just can't live for extended periods. There's also the drugs and such.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Eiba posted:

I don't know if that's a weird reaction, or a plausibly mundane one.

I think it is plausible. I mean, belters are their own culture. They have their own language and even look different, being flat out physiologically unsuited to live on a gravity well.

Combine that, with the fact that such a level of destruction is just unfathomable to most people then, yeah, I think it's reasonable that so many people don't really care.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm digging the first point.

Like, Marko's grand plan was basically:

1. Throw rocks at Earth.
2. ?????
3. Belter supremacy w/ magical self-sustaining economy.

He got in a good apocalyptic sucker punch and that's it. Marko is lame, yes. The book spends a lot of time having various characters come to terms with the fact that Marco had no plans and was preoccupied with his lover's new boyfriend. He had goals and no real care to actually achieving them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jew it to it! posted:

You contribute nothing to this thread and many others in The Book Barn. I contributed to your posting by replying, and as a result I am an idiot. But seriously, dude, do you really get any satisfaction by making GBS threads up the Expansion, Sci Fi, Warhammer 40k and more threads? Lord, save me from Lum avatars.

I don't know what this is but I'm quoting it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pretty sure they mention that Earth's fleet is too busy covering the rest of the planet from rocks.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I think CB would probably get a short arc, a few episodes to half a season, maybe.

AG was the first one of the series I read, because I didn't notice a big 3 on the spine, and I loved it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

If the Caliban's War season doesn't end on...

Holden, alone in his room.

Camera pans out, slowly, dramatic sting builds as a blue firefly flitters onto screen. Dramatic sting crescendo as a stupid old hat and figure is silhouetted just out of frame...

MILLER:
We need to talk.

Smash cut to black. Roll credits.

...I'm going to be pissed.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

No Amos demonstrating the benefits of canned chicken to someone? :ohdear:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I've started Caliban's War. Awfully similar setup to hostilities as Leviathan Wakes. One thing I'm really appreciating so far is that as much as the earth/Martian conflicts are caused by a third party, that doesn't immediately end the hostilities between the planets once the culprits are caught. Once a war starts it can be very hard to end and the fact that The Expanse books address this is very refreshing. That being said, one is an anomaly, two is a trend, so I am worried that each book might start to follow a pattern of "evil experiment by dumbasses starts a war, Holden and friends get involved and save the universe"

They do, unfortunately. All six books follow that exact format.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Medlar posted:

Show talk:
I feel like they're going to combine Michio Pa and Drummer to be the same character for the show. That's assuming they can coax a little more dynamic range out of Cara ANY ATTEMPT AT INTAFELENCE WILL LESULT IN CIVIL ACTION Gee. Honestly Im just rooting for her because she looks like an ex.

:yikes:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Well, yeah. Remember what the opening shots of his 'revolution' were?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Not sure about that bit of info but I've loved the other books so I'm sure it's okay. But still...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah... I will probably still buy it, but my interest level just dropped significantly.

It feels like a weird choice. Thirty years is a lot of time and I'd rather have seen the intervening time as opposed to being told about it. Surely a lot of things happened in those three decades.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Considering that the most recent book left off at the same cliffhanger that the one before it did (what's eating the ships in the gates, unless I'm remembering things wrong), dropping that and jumping ahead 30 years is...an extremely bold choice.

I mean I'm still going to buy this on day 1, but I'll be raising an eyebrow the entire time

Yeah. My first thought is 'what the heck happened' given that it seemed like they had a pretty good idea of what was happening if not exactly why at the end of the last book. Did nothing happen with it for thirty years? Why?

It feels like it is edging closer to the bad sort of 'what's going on here' questions. I'm struggling to think of a timeskip in a series I've ever enjoyed. Maybe Season 2 Battlestar? But that was two years, not thirty.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 22, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sarern posted:

Just finished it. There were several surprises, but I was most surprised to find out that (spoilers for next book): Everyone's favorite horny doctor will probably be back. I was nervous about the thirty year timeskip, but it ended up working for me. GRRM should have tried a time jump instead of continually expanding interim books.

I've heard that a character is killed during the timeskip. Specifically, Clarissa. Is that true?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sarern posted:

sent you a PM answering your question. It's still early days, I accidentally spoil things for myself all the time so I'd rather not post that yet. Instead, let's talk about the very tender sex scene between Amos and Holden.

:captainpop:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I am not a fan of this timeskip. Like, I'm up to Chapter 5 and it's just there in the back of my head the whole time.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

acumen posted:

I thought Holden was in his mid 20s when he got kicked out, then another 6-8 years had passed between LW and BA, putting him in his 60s here. You're right though, timeline has always been pretty nebulous - what year is it even in PR?

Timeskip itself was clearly written with the tv show in mind and it gives it an easy out to conclude the series on. By the time BA rolls around it'd likely be in at least season 5 which is starting to get pretty long in the tooth for a show of this type. Ageing actors doesn't seem to be too difficult in the chance that it turns into a runaway success by then either. But based on the life expectancy of 120+ these guys in their 60s are probably closer to their 40s or 50s physically which seems pretty reasonable.

I'm pretty sure the Expanse books have never named a specific year. I think the TV series has, however.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

And really, could it be possible for one Great Man to direct the future of humanity if he had access to something like the protomolecule?

And, if so, wouldn't that basically be horrific?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Eiba posted:

I can understand someone feeling the bullshit death battleship defeating the combined fleet of all humanity is something outside the frame of what they're interested in. I'm almost there myself. Like, maybe that's not what you signed up for when you started the Expanse and that's a fine thing to be disappointed by.

I'm at Chapter 15 or thereabouts and that's the feeling I'm getting. I think I'll be happy with the series finishing at book #9.

The timeskip still gets under my skin. For example, on one hand, I like that Chrisjen wasn't killed off in the interim. On the other... it's been thirty years. Did any character really change at all during the jump, beyond getting promoted or being Clarissa?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Finished this one. It grew on me by the end and I think I like it more than Nemesis Games but not as much as Babylon's Ashes. A few things didn't feel right to me, such as the character death towards the end, but I want to see where they're going with the black and white bullets and Duterte such.

I do think if they can hold to nine books and finish up they'll have a nice consistent series that never truly got bad.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

So, if the show gets there, who are they going to drop: Marco or Duarte?

I can't see them going with both, and if it doesn't get cancelled early (it will) they'll be in hyper-GoT mod, in a rush to get storylines finished.

I can't see them going with the timeskip, much less expanding the series out that widely. I have a feeling the series will cap off with Marco Inaros and his whole thing and maybe the last episode might be a Babylon 5-esque 'twenty/thirty years later' thing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

At the end of Perseopolis Rising, where Holden meets Duarte and exclaims that he's "using that poo poo on himself", and Duarte responds with something along the lines that most people don't notice but he's changed physically, was that ever elaborated on? How has he changed? How is it not noticeable to most people, but Holden notices? Are the Laconians just too terrified/awed/respectful of their Immortal Psychic Space Hitler to mention that his eyes are loving glowing or something?

I want to say there's this mention maybe in the first Singh chapter of something that's off with Duarte but I'm not sure.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Read it. It has some really good bits. It's an interesting change of pace. And even if it is the weakest novel in the series I feel it's still decent.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

CB feels like AG in places.

What I mean is, I think when writing AG they got extended into four books. Then, writing CB, they got extended to six and then nine. It felt like stories that were heading towards an end but then they twist into a continuation. For example, I thought Amos (CB spoilers) was absolutely going to die in that shootout towards the end. Then he doesn't. There were a few other moments like that.

I feel Books 5 and onwards have benefited from knowing they have four books in total to tell the rest of the story.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure every sex scene in the Expanse is just a 'fade to black' in the books, excepting maybe Timmy and his partner in The Churn?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

tiamat's wrath

good title. sounds ominous!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Alcon's planning on shopping it around, though. Let's not pretend that Syfy was any good for this show with all their region locking and such.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Sometime around book 4 I realized that this series was some seriously bullshit bland-as-gently caress writing filled with deus-ex solutions to plot hole problems and characters written thinner than a goddamn cereal box. Now I'm on book five and things are decidedly not improving.

I will finish it and book 6, but goddamn this has largely been a waste of four days. And here I thought Dune was the poster child for writing going to poo poo after the second novel.

My long standing belief that any series embraced by mainstream culture (Asoiaf, Kingkiller, Harry Potter) is probably thinly written pap has once again proved correct. Should have just read the new Revelation Space instead.

sir i only asked you if you wanted fries with your order

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Persepolis Rising is definitely better than Babylon's Ashes.

The series is beginning to show its age, however. But providing Books 8 and 9 don't go to absolute badness, it's going to be a very solid series.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

When I found out this series was originally written as an MMO framework the wierd pacing, bad plot after book two, and comically cardboard villains suddenly all made perfect sense.

Wasn't it a play-by-post forum game? Shed was a player character who had to leave, so he was GM killed? Then it was made into an MMO framework?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

dropkickpikachu posted:

I just finished marathoning all 7 extant books and now i am left every night opening my kindle expecting to read more new Rocinante adventures but not being able to, like a tongue probing the empty place where a pulled tooth was once anchored.

Fake edit: seriously though they used that metaphor like once per book i s2g

gonna be on the lookout for it in the next book in... november?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

aw dang

i've been rereading the series and, wow, amos feels like a completely different character in book 1 to how he develops. it definitely feels like they hadn't nailed him down completely just yet.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

So I have started reading the books and have a question:
Do the books become good again after Cibola Burn? Since in all the previous books the characters have been quite engaging while the characters in this book are dull as hell and Murtry is like a comic book villain.

Yes, and Book 5 is probably the best in the series so far. Book 4 is the low point, really.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Collateral posted:

I thought they were done several months ago, have they spent that time rolling it in glitter?

yes

when the publisher pushed the date back, they said they'd give them some extra editing time

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Leviathan Wakes clearly draws a fair bit of inspiration from Firefly. Amos, especially, comes off more as a Jayne type of character than who he quickly becomes in Caliban's War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I need to preface this by saying that I read the last 5/6ths of the book straight through yesterday during basically all of my free time, so I thoroughly enjoyed it and was seriously invested in the story.

But man, the authors are just so weirdly inconsistent in their talent. The writing is...just not that good at times. The prose itself is pretty simple, there's a lot of clunky exposition, and the viewpoint chapters mean that we're constantly swapping plots (although that might just be my own personal annoyance.)

I think it's because the books have a lot of cruft in them. Like, Leviathan Wakes is 180k long but I think you could slim it down to somewhere between 100-150 without much loss. They do like their exposition and lots of details that I'm not sure add much to the story. I really noticed this in Chapter 11 of Tiamat's Wrath (and I think one of the earlier Naomi chapter), but it's something in all of the series. They write well enough that when we hit, like, 600 words of what one character did for eight days to pass the time, it doesn't really make me sigh and think they should just get on with the story, but it feels like it's unnecessary.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 29, 2019