Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah there was some stuff in phlebas I didn’t love. I inferred that the people doing these behaviors were the bad guys but it doesn’t make it any better to read about for fun, personally.

Aaaanyway, this isn’t the culture thread so I’m going to stop talking about it now; sorry for the derail :ohdear:
Consider Phlebas was really offputting to me too, but I feel that was largely because I hadn't really grasped what the books were doing with gross poo poo like that yet. There's really horrible stuff in later books, but none of it came of as "oh god, why am I reading this?" like it did in Consider Phlebas because there was more of an ideological framework built up, if that makes any sense. If the Culture is so good and powerful, what about this disturbing poo poo? There's a reason it's there in the narrative.

It felt gratuitous in Consider Phlebas, but not in any of his later stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think the whole generation thing was the point. They wanted the setting to have proper adults who grew up not knowing Earth at all. It's a really interesting idea and honestly I think it worked with the perspective of the rear end in a top hat who ran Medina. Hopefully it'll lead to interesting things if we end up spending more time on other colonies in the next couple books.

It's not about the magic bullshit tech, it's about the people. The Expanse has always been good about that at least.

That said it can be about the people and still bad. I've got mixed feelings on the time skip but I'm not going to dwell on it. I'm just interested to see where they go with the story next.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ashford in the books was a dumb rear end in a top hat. And honestly, the extent to which he's been rehabilitated by the show actually gives me hope for the Free Navy stuff. If we have sympathetic Dawes and sympathetic Ashford supporting Inaros... I mean, maybe Inaros will be less of a frustrating idiot.

On the one hand, that was kind of the point- he did a huge terrorist attack and got people behind him, but doing a huge terrorist attack didn't make him into the legend people thought he was. He was still just a person, and absurdly out of his depth. That's kind of interesting. But on the other hand maybe it would be a more fun story to watch if he wasn't such an frustrating idiot.

Speaking of assholes with theoretically interesting motivations, I'm interested to see how they handle Murtry. If they rehabilitate him half as well as they did for Ashford I'll be looking forward to the Free Navy war to see how they do it up.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If they do the 30 year time-skip, he can just die off-screen during that. It would be difficult to make it really work emotionally, especially since we'd know the real reasons aren't good, but it wouldn't be implausible. It'd also give a greater sense of things having happened in the interim. One of the issues in the books was that the world may have changed over 30 years, but the crew of the Rocinante really didn't. If one of them dies... that'd be a change. Or maybe Alex doesn't need to die on the way to his home planet. Maybe he just heads back to Mars. Doesn't make sense for the character at the moment, but... 30 years. Maybe he gets his wanderlust out of his system and reconnects with his adult children or something. The crew can smile warmly knowing that Alex (a character who is good and pure) is doing well somewhere living a simple life, without having to cut a paycheck to a scummy actor.

The second thing they should do if they do the 30 year skip is establish how amazing these new anti-aging drugs are. You stay fit and young looking for 30 years. Wow woah. Give Holden or Naomi a streak of stylish white hair and call it a day. It'd be a bit weird, but anything else (recasting/major makeup) would be way more jarring and bad.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I always assumed they'd end on book 6. I'd love them to adapt the later books, but book 6 is very much a solid ending point. People have pointed out that the nine expanse books are basically three trilogies, but the first trilogy kind of just sets things up and needs the second trilogy to give any sort of payoff. Which it does. The third trilogy is much more separate.

That said, it's separate enough that I could see them doing that story as a spinoff series at some point in the future if there's still interest in the world of the Expanse.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I thought the point was that the vast unknowable power that made the gates only bothered to do so in a tiny corner of the galaxy. Because our galaxy is really big.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Orvin posted:

It’s been a little while since I read the books, but aren’t some of the early engagements handwaved away due to the bulk of Earth and Martian Navies needing to stay close to home to intercept thrown rocks? So what little forces Earth and Mars have outside Mars orbit are much more easily overwhelmed and/or surprised.

Isn’t it a pretty big plot point that once the rocks are not a threat, the Free Navy starts a retreating action going full scorched earth to delay the various fleets as much as possible?
That's my vague memory of the tactics too. The Free Navy was no match for the inner planets in an open battle, but they set things up in such a way that the full force couldn't be brought to bear.

The other biggest fleet action was the UN assault on the ring, and because the Free Navy knew exactly where those ships had to be and at what time they would be there, they were able to gently caress the UN fleet up with more stealth rocks, not an open battle.

I don't recall Belters ever coming off well in an open slugfest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Now, the Free Navy's attack on the ring blockade with the stealth rocks is a TV series invention and nothing like that appears to happen in the books. The TV series seems to stick with the idea that the Free Navy is a small core of Martian combat vessels, with the Pella getting an upgrade to a light cruiser, and converted/armed civilian ships making up the bulk of the force. In the TV series, the Free Navy gets caught in three battles and basically broken immediately, with the exception of the Pella itself which cuts a swath through Drummer's own fleet.
Thanks for the detailed review of events! I had completely forgotten most of it, with the TV version replacing it in my mind.

The TV version feels a bit more coherent. Like they were tidying up the whole concept in their second pass at the story. I now see what people mean when they have an issue with how the book portrays all this.