Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So... was no one else disappointed when it turned out that the Protomolecule creators had been killed off by an even more powerful and unknowable alien race? It felt kind of unnecessary to trade one for the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Eiba posted:

Was it explicitly aliens? If so, I would be disappointed and my poor memory is probably trying to protect me.

In Abaddons Gate they establish that the protomolecule nuked it's own stars in a last ditch attempt to win a war. It's pretty explicitly just bigger, badder aliens of some variety.

Edit: oh, and I'm only just finishing Cibola Burn so I've no spoilers about BA I promise.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 4, 2016

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Reading Cibola Burn now and I can't stand Havelock. He's so utterly unbelievably incompetent and servile. Why the gently caress would anyone bother keeping an engineer in prison, especially one of Naomi's renown, when they are days away from crashing into a planet. Od think it was deliberate if the writers didn't also want to have long passages where he cries and relates to Naomi about how they hosed everyone is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I suspect that for Cibola Burn they will swap out Anna for Avasralla maybe and have Bobbie on a Martian ship. I also suspect Dawes and Drummer to play roles on the Behemoth.

Does anyone have any guesses based on episode titles how far along season two is going to get? It would be such a shame not to end on the gate rising up out of Venus and, frankly, any other finale point I can think of would feel kind of rubbish.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Am I the only one who imagined Marco as Lani Tupu from Farscape? I'll be disappointed with any other casting.

They won't ever get him because he's a regular on a great show but Michael Mando would be my top pick for Marco.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

drat does Season 2's opener get the attack on Spin Station right.

It absolutely nails the Rocci side of it and then falls apart the second they enter it. It's terrible from there onwards.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Nigulus Rex posted:

So I just finished book 3. One thing I don't understand, assuming it wasn't just hand-waving (which I am leaning towards being the likely explanation) is the guns working after the "blue sphere" "security center" in the Hub slowed everything down because "anything faster than a fastball is a threat" parameters set by the Martians grenade launchers when they were shooting at Holden.

So how exactly are we back on the ship and having raging gun battles with assault rifles and sniper rifles and poo poo that very obviously travel faster than a fastball?

The slow zone only effects the outer shell of the vessels. This is also why everyone inside the ships is seriously hosed up by the sudden deceleration.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Pander posted:

Agreed to the last few posters. It's relatively self-contained but still enjoyable enough. It's just not the same grand scale conflicts presented in the rest of the series (mostly 1, 2, 5, and 6).

It does have the worst of all POV characters in the series, though.

Havelock right? Because the lady scientist was a little dull but Havelock made me want to slam my head off the loving desk as I was reading.

He's so dense and boring. He basically takes the entire book to realise he's working for a loving caricature.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Tertius Oculum posted:

Finally caught up to the books awhile back, and decided to check on the release date of the final book only to find out its moved to March.

I really hope the ending is decent. I was surprised at the direction of the series and its pretty cool, but the PM tease was real heavy. -_-

Hopefully we get some cool info/insight from the PM/PM creators/enemy lol.

Semi-final. There's one book left after the March release.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

I finally caught up on books 7 and 8 over the past week. I hated the Inaros storyline and found Babylon's Ashes a complete slog, but the latest two are my easily favorites so far. The plotting and prose felt a lot tighter, especially in TW. Plus I'm one of those freaks that loved book 4, so I was happy to see Elvi again.

I don't know if the show will ever get this far, but I can only picture Giancarlo Esposito as Duarte.

Me too. And Michael Mando as Marco.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I actually thought there was a good chance Matthew Bennet was playing Duarte last season.

He's listed as a Lt. Durant in the credits but never named in show, and he's the good match for age and looks. He's also a bigger actor than the cameo he has.

He's the one whose hot headed about facing the UNN whilst on the Hamarabbe.

He's too low a rank I guess, unless they mix it up a bit.

I'd guess Duarte appears this season tho in a show only Bobby story.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It would be sweet if they got Jared Harris back and had Dawes be the force driving the Belter side of the Free Navy gambit. Marco and Naomi's kid could still be there as part of the organization. I could buy Marco as a high ranking Mook better than space Hitler 3020.

Well Dawes has Cortizar to trade, so I can only guess that they are going to include him more in the Free Navy etc.

I think Marco could work on screen.

It's interesting that the books haven't done anything with Naomi's kid being alive out there yet. I kind of hope they never do.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

drewhead posted:

It felt like such an odd character to introduce and disillusion for little to no payoff. Seems like we spent a lot of time with him and his contribution was... bait?

Yeah. I'm wondering if at one point the plan was to feature a new generation in the last three books with him as the main character or something.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I wonder if putting Avesarala's corpse in close proximity to Lazerus Pups means we're going to get a very foul-mouthed spokesgoth. They managed to put Amos back together and his brain was bulletmush.

Oh God, Miller and Aversarala hashing it out.

I hope not. She shouldn't of been alive for Persepolis Rising either. It was kind of unbelievable and a little sad to have her wheeling around dropping pearls of wisdom to a character she's not previously interacted with.

I hope the series writes her out between the time jump.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Does anyone have any theories on the goths?

My personal theory is that it/they are actually the collected consciousness of the Protomolecule.

We've already seen that it can be intelligent and inquisitive and has the ability to problem solve.

What if over the original thousands of years when the protomolecule was being used for everything it was also absorbing rudimentary intelligence and instincts and evolving some form of sentience unbeknownst to the Roman's?

Eventually it was almost an old testament God, with all the abilities we've seen the PM exhibit and none of the emotive grounded that consuming sentient life gave our PM node.

The Roman's realised they had unwittingly created a super intelligent and dangerous consciousness and decided to cut out the infection by destroying their empire and closing off the gate network, terrified of the very technology it was made of uprising.

Millions of years later our PM node undergoes a rapid equivalent of the same thing because it absorbs living sentient creatures, but is also grounded in the emotional and moral realities of Julie Mao and Miller.

Now the Goths exist in the spaces where the PM used to, where it evolved, and all of a sudden a new race is starting to use it and experiment with it and piss it off.

So you've got two distinct but linked conscious versions of the PM. A Roman made one that is unemotive and Old Testament and a human made one that is moral and New Testament.

And in the end this human made PM, fused from a million different voices and colours and creeds, and with an Earther and a Belter at the heart of it will be the solution to the war with the Goths.

And humanity will learn a lesson about living together, and about workers rights, and about the tech we create not being a solution to our problems. Etc.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I could see Laconia holding a resurrected Avasaralla hostage or some poo poo. Sounds a bit crass tho.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Interestingly Thomas Jane has just posted on twitter that he's heading off to start work on The Expanse Season 5 today.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So... with news breaking that Cas Anvar (Alex) is a sexual predator, any ideas what they do with Alex? Recast or write him out?

Season Five is already filmed, and depending how much ground it covers they could use the time jump to replace him, or they could kill him off screen maybe? Or just replace him and not mention it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

He's a central character to the entire series. They can't just get rid of him.

He's definitely the easiest of the central characters to get rid of tho. Just replace him with Bobby going forward and have Melba do more poo poo to fill the gap.

After the time jump he basically does nothing. Killing him off, maybe by refilling Fred Johnsons death, could work.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

General Battuta posted:

They’re going to turn out to be dark matter I bet.

There going to turn out to be the god like conscious of the protomolecule that evolved without the Romans knowing about it until it was too late. It'll be a slave race rising up against their masters and the masters destroying everything to try and stop them. It'll mirror the human v human struggles that have been at the heart of the books.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Having the ring gateway be destroyed as the conclusion of the story would feel really unsatisfying. Oh, after all that we're ending with everything back where we started?

Yeah, especially because with the time jump and then Laconia it feels like the rings aren't really a part of the story anymore. They are just a fact of the world now.

Maybe if the third trilogy had spent more time exploring the rings and the different colonies rather than just having another major villain and conflict it could've of worked.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I also feel like rebooting the setting by closing off the gate network is kind of boring and undoes the books that have come before it. I hope it doesn't happen.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ending with Book 6 makes sense for the human story, which has a fine ending point then, but unless they massively rewrite events there's going to be no pay off for the Laconia set-up they are doing or the larger meta narrative of the Romans and their history.

Weird choice. But I guess going in knowing its the end means they might rewrite it massively to conclude the mystery some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

My guess is they cut it down severely when Anvar was removed from the series, which is why you get this whole season of Bobbie and Alex on the Razorback set. My understanding is that the Strange Dogs stuff introduces some of the ideas toward the end of the series, which is why they had to include it. I think the showrunner also said it was a bit of a Hail Mary to renew the series: check out this alien stuff going on! I remember when people thought that Babbage was going to inherit Duarte's role because the guy was just completely absent.

Tim DeKay did an interview recently, that was 95% related to talks of a White Collar reunion, but he spoke about a lot of his work on The Expanse being cut out, so that pretty much confirms for me that Cas Anvar's behaviour led to that season being heavily retooled. Which, honestly, I think was probably a big mistake. Keep his death in, by all means, but the footage that was already filmed should of been left intact, as it impacts a lot of the story that season. It's silly that the creators tried to say they didn't reshoot much when we've had publicity shots leak with Cas in the final assembly scene on the moon for example.