Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/366440
($15 right now, $20 regular)

Savage is back baby! Some of you may remember the classic(?) Savage as one the first hybrid FPS/RTS games on the market and the polarizing sequel (Savage 2) which followed it. Most of you however have probably never heard of it at all, so basically it's like Natural Selection. Two teams, each with one commander and a large of number of soldiers, all played by human beings in 16v16 player matches. The commander takes on a traditional RTS role, using his top down camera to issue build orders, decide on research/tech priorities, and to command the team's soldiers where to go and what to do. He has no physical presence on the map. The soldiers play very similar to an FPS (with melee mechanics) except in this game a human commander may order you to go specific places or even help build/mine, orders which most pubbies will proceed to gleefully ignore. The objective of the game is simply to smash the other team's central stronghold structure, kind of like a dota. How you go about this is up the commander and his plan (and how well people listen).

Stuff to Know
- Regular price is $20, there is Steam Sale right now for 25% off for the release week (released Aug 18th).
- Like its predecessors, Savage Resurrection is PC only. Sorry consailures, Gaben does what Nintendon't.
- For returning Savage players, this game pulled a Dork Souls and is much closer in design philosophy to Savage 1 than Savage 2 in almost every way. It's up to you how you feel about this.
- There is absolutely zero persistent progression of any kind beyond cosmetics. You may see this as great or terrible. You have 100% of the gameplay, and 100% of your power in your first match.
- For the first time in the series there is full offline play or play with friends vs bots. I have no idea if this mode sucks or not at this time.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/q0BOpZgcY2o

This OP is gonna be short for now because I just got the game after finding out it existed earlier this afternoon. I loved Savage and Savage 2 and never even heard a peep about this game until today so I figure the word needs to get out a bit. I'll update with more info and tips for noobs soon. Unless nobody gives a hoot of course, because then I won't do anything. If you have anything you think should be included I'll be happy to copy-paste.

:eonwe: GAME IS EONWE APPROVED :eonwe:

Eonwe posted:

game good.

:eonwe::eonwe:

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I did have some good times with S1...

Kind of funny that the humans have gone full sci-fi while the beasts have remained the same.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Why would you take a great game like Savage and compare it to DOTA? That's like comparing eating delicious ice-cream to your wife cheating on you because you waste so many hours on DOTA.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mordja posted:

I did have some good times with S1...

Kind of funny that the humans have gone full sci-fi while the beasts have remained the same.

It's just like the old days. I saved my team's skin the last match with ballista shenanigans. They were pressuring our garrison hard and probably going to destroy it, until I snuck a ballista all the way over to their base alone and just powered through their Fire Shrine. This was at the point in the game where each team only has one weapon tech really developed so their front line just collapsed. Really brought me back.

And yeah the humans are little more teched up in terms of aesthetics. Their workers are mechanical now as are both of their siege weapons, but other than that it's about the same. Their starting tech is still some guy with hatchets and a hunting bow. Cheekily enough the devs still named the human siege weapons the "Ballista" and the "Catapult" and they perform very similar to their low-tech namesakes.

BlueCube
May 13, 2004
Cube that's Blue
Good mechanics, everyone seems to complain that the other side is overpowered no matter what side they're playing as. The main problem is that, like all games of this type, a bad commander means you lose the match, period. (That's probably why the AI Commander servers are so popular right now - both sides are equally garbage so it's a bit more fair.)

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i own this game and id like to say that its fun. get it for 15.99 and prepare to be owned in melee combat until you learn how it works

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blazing Zero posted:

prepare to be owned in melee combat until you learn how it works

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is....good?!?!?!?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does this game have dedicated servers or matchmaking or what

Also does it seem like it's gonna have legs or is it gonna be dead by next week

ALSO how often is a match ruined by your commander being an idiot rear end in a top hat

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I liked the original but drat I do not want to help the devs of HoN out in any way whatsoever. S2 Maliken can suck a dickkkkk

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DoubleDonut posted:

Does this game have dedicated servers or matchmaking or what

Also does it seem like it's gonna have legs or is it gonna be dead by next week

ALSO how often is a match ruined by your commander being an idiot rear end in a top hat

Yes, yes, and yes*.

*There is an "AI commander's only mode" now though that prevents this. They are dumb but they are dumb on equal footing.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 22, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game good. idk how long it'll have players, because how can you really know, but its still good. it would massively benefit from a free play weekend on steam tho.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eonwe posted:

game good.

Added to OP.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes, yes, and yes*.

*There is an "AI commander's only mode" now though that prevents this. They are dumb but they are dumb on equal footing.

I mean, okay, but "yes" doesn't answer at least two of those questions

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

DoubleDonut posted:

Game has dedicated servers, but there is also quick join with matchmaking.

I doubt it'll top the steam/twitch charts, but it's really good and really fun. the only thing holding back is lack of marketing which could translate into a waning player base as the AAA title release season approaches.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DoubleDonut posted:

- Game has matchmaking. You press the "I want to play button" and you'll be playing soon. The matches run on dedicated servers. (You can also use your machine as a host to play with friends)

- It might have legs or it might die idk. The old Savage games went for years on a small but dedicated playerbase so I don't think it will straight die anytime soon.

- Yes

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Great, thanks.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

this game isnt very newbie friendly, at all. if you ignore the tutorials and jump in like most people, its easy to assume the game is an asym FPS. its really a first person melee thing that i wouldnt describe as intuitive.

because of all that, i dont think this game will ever break 1000 peak players outside of a f2p weekend or two. will it still be playable for a few years with sub 500 players? probably

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea, this is not an FPS

you have ranged weapons, but they aren't necessarily the focus

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Eonwe posted:

yea, this is not an FPS

you have ranged weapons, but they aren't necessarily the focus

Maybe I'm just a terribad at the game, but it seems like the humans get the better end of the stick in melee. Block seems way more useful than leap.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mjolnerd posted:

Maybe I'm just a terribad at the game, but it seems like the humans get the better end of the stick in melee. Block seems way more useful than leap.

whichever weapon the beasts get that gives you stamina per hit makes things a lot better IMO

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im gonna go home in 2 hours and play? probably? idk

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Razzled posted:

I liked the original but drat I do not want to help the devs of HoN out in any way whatsoever. S2 Maliken can suck a dickkkkk

Haha. My response is less vitriolic, but yea, more or less. If it goes on really cheap discount I might pick it up though!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mjolnerd posted:

It's reasonable to think this if you are new because yeah if you hit their block and stagger you are probably dead. But Beasts are better at melee and that's by design. Block has an incredibly short duration before they have to let their guard down. Once you get used to the timing you can just get in someone's face, watch as they raise their guard, and then simply wait the 1.5 sec or whatever and start swinging. Most human players are very predictable with their blocking. You'll be wrecking fools in no time. Try it next time. Just get right up to a guy, watch him raise his weapon to block, and then say "one Mississippi" before swinging.

Also you can always pull a point-blank leap just to get behind someone and swing because block only works in one direction. :getin:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I personally thank Humans are more fun, but I think beasts are probably stronger? idk tho, its still a pretty new game

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Chomp8645 posted:

It's reasonable to think this if you are new because yeah if you hit their block and stagger you are probably dead. But Beasts are better at melee and that's by design. Block has an incredibly short duration before they have to let their guard down. Once you get used to the timing you can just get in someone's face, watch as they raise their guard, and then simply wait the 1.5 sec or whatever and start swinging. Most human players are very predictable with their blocking. You'll be wrecking fools in no time. Try it next time. Just get right up to a guy, watch him raise his weapon to block, and then say "one Mississippi" before swinging.

Also you can always pull a point-blank leap just to get behind someone and swing because block only works in one direction. :getin:

Yeah, count me as a stupid newbie who just thought of it as an asymmetrical third person shooter with a lovely ammo mechanic.

I'll be on tonight around 9pm Pacific playing as the beasties

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Eonwe posted:

I personally thank Humans are more fun, but I think beasts are probably stronger? idk tho, its still a pretty new game

Why do you think the humans are more fun? tech tree? theme?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Razzled posted:

What's the deal with HoN? I really loved S1 but didn't pay attention to S2 at all so I have no clue what exactly the devs did to (apparently) gently caress it all up.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Insert name here posted:

What's the deal with HoN? I really loved S1 but didn't pay attention to S2 at all so I have no clue what exactly the devs did to (apparently) gently caress it all up.

HoN was fine until Icefrog got hired on at Valve and stopped consulting and they had to do design themselves.

Then it went all to poo poo. Their f2p model was also garbage iirc.

Edit: Also, Maliken is a man child who would not be out of place as a 4chan regular.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mjolnerd posted:

Why do you think the humans are more fun? tech tree? theme?

I like their siege units more personally, also the bow is really pretty decent early on

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Insert name here posted:

There's archives of this poo poo in varying degrees but this was basically every game with the CEO of the company:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol :yikes:

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Razzled posted:

There's archives of this poo poo in varying degrees but this was basically every game with the CEO of the company:

embarrassing.... you'd think the CEO of all people would know how to get around his own profanity filter...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah I've heard he's a douchebag but honestly idc. I've never interacted with or even seen him in any of my many hours of Savage. I'm not gonna let "CEO is a douchebag" stop me from playing a cool game I like and honestly if supporting a company run by a douchebag CEO is against your moral compass you may as well head to the hills and live as a hermit. If "calls people fagz in a video game" was the worst behavior the CEO's of the world engaged in then the world would be a much better place.

Basically: don't care, game on!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to play this game tonight.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I played Savage 2 a lot, really liked it. S2Maliken posted on the forums at one point alluding that they were gonna update the game to a new engine or something like that. Then they let the game slowly die for years with no support lol

eat poo poo S2

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mjolnerd posted:

I doubt it'll top the steam/twitch charts

I've been trying to figure out if I want this game or not, so I checked Twitch to see some streams, and there are currently five people streaming the game, two of which have viewers

not particularly reassuring

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

its 15.99 until the end of the month. if you assume that at minimum you will get 6 months of this game or 2 years at max, it seems like a good deal to me

that's if you enjoy this game style though. id watch some yt of the combat because its kinda like some weird chivalry/fps mashup

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

Blazing Zero posted:

its 15.99 until the end of the month. if you assume that at minimum you will get 6 months of this game or 2 years at max, it seems like a good deal to me

that's if you enjoy this game style though. id watch some yt of the combat because its kinda like some weird chivalry/fps mashup

lol http://steamcharts.com/app/366440#All have fun playing a deathmatch with 4 other people and retarded disfunctional ai comanders

I have just barely over 2 hours logged into this game (mostly searching for a lobby with people in it) so steam won't refund this piece of poo poo. I am making a minor project of harassing steam to express my dissatisfaction with the game, the developer, steam itself and their bullshit refund scheme (2 hours = refund!; 2.5 hours spent searching lobbies = you played too much to deserve a refund!) My goal is not to get back the $15 I wasted on about an hour of fun old school Savage nostalgia but to annoy the gently caress out of steam and waste more than $15 of their man hours responding to my emails. A fun game for horrible broken people. The trick to enjoying this game is to get smashed, inundate steam reps with proof that game is poo poo while typing coherently and without resorting to crude language. A funner game that Savage! And it only cost fifteen bucks!

i miss savage 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Savage 1 will forever be my favorite fps by far, I had so so much fun with it. However it was a good thing I didn't let my nostalgia cloud my judgment this time after the debacle that was savage 2 and HoNk HoNk, rip in piss s2games

• Locked thread