Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

My favourite part of the walkthough is that the hotel elevator code is 0451. If I ever need to get through a door with a keypad on it, I'm just going to punch that in first and see if that works.

I had mixed feelings when they first announced that Mafia 3 was moving to the 60s and to the south as I was still having a blast with 2 and wanted more, but man this is really shaping up to look nice. I'll have to keep a closer eye on this as it gets closer to release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Afraid of Audio posted:

i hope this game is good, rather than bad

A controversial opinion to be sure.

Having not followed this game at all since it was announced and everyone was dwelling on the race of the main character I really have no vested interest in this being a flop or not.

I hope it will be good so that I have a good game to play - because as flawed as Mafia II was I still found it fun and would like more - but if it sucks I can just wait until it's heavily discounted and give it a spin then.

Really I just want a decent, compelling story and some fun missions and/or side missions.

It doesn't need to be GTA V and a half.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

blackguy32 posted:

The one thing I remember that came out of the blue was the part where you find out who killed your dad. It just felt out of place.

It seemed a little convienent but I wouldn't say out of place - if Vito was under the impression that it was an accident and had moved on there is no reason he'd dig into things further. Just happened to bump into the right guy at the right time. Then murdered two dozen people.

The ending didn't really bother me that much, either. The game starts off with Vito sitting alone in some run down apartment looking forlornly at a photo album so I took the entire story to be a trip down memory lane, with some gaps at points. But you could tell right off the bat that the game doesn't have a happy ending.

On the game development itself its a shame to hear that so much was cut because in retrospect you can see the framework is there but the base game itself was fun for me. The DLC just seemed like it was an afterthought with how little effort went into it... strange to hear that was part of the plan all along. Mafia II wasn't a game I followed that closely either, maybe that's why I wasn't so let down as other fans?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I never did any of these things more than once but still consider GTA 5 to be one of my fav games ever. Did every single side mission.

I went through every side mission and activity as well but they really were just things you'd probably only do once and didn't have a while lot of replay value (or depth for the most part). Outside the missions you really had to just entertain yourself. It's a shame they seemed to keep most of the 'extras' for the multiplayer - which I was never particularly interested in. Purchasing most of the properties in the game was really only something you could do if you cheesed the gently caress out of the stock market or really, really, really loved grinding. Gotta push those Shark cards!

So far from what I've seen here the game looks pretty average. Not bad but not oh my god $80 day one purchase, either.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I was really tempted to pick this up but after reading the feedback from the game so far I'm kinda glad I didn't pay full price for this - Mafia 2, as stripped down as it apparently was, was at least pretty polished and solid. This kinda looks like a buggy mess.

I doubt it'll have a place in the Halloween sale in a couple week (but lol if it does) but maybe for the Holiday sale it'll be knocked down a bit? Or when they get close to releasing the first DLC.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Some of your videos are set to private but in general I would agree with the points you brought up; the characters are generally pretty great and the story fairly solid but there are glaring flaws with nearly everything else. While the world is much larger than that if Mafia II it also seems that much more devoid of things to do other than drive back and forth. They also tried to create a really pretty and detailed looking world but with whatever the hell they managed to cobble together its hard to see most of it because the game is a blurry mess most of the time. Whatever isn't washed out instead is hard to see because it looks like I'm trying to view it from 50-100 feet away with my glasses off rather than the nice, sharp image it should be.

I haven't come across all of the wacky poo poo that other people are reporting but I have used the 'lure everyone into the same room and murder them one-by-one' trick a few times. The strangest graphical glitch I've seen so far has been with boats and water:

I seem to remember this being a major glitch with the AssCreed pirates game where boats would instead just be divots in the water. No idea how they managed to reproduce that here...

The sky also looks horrific, like something you'd see in an Unreal engine game circa 1998, how they managed to gently caress something so simple up is beyond me... it wouldn't be so bad if the schizophrenic weather and lighting didn't constantly call attention to it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

To finish my saga, I verified my local files and that fixed it

Thanks god you mentioned this, I ran into an issue Downtown where the Blackmail guy didn't want to finish off his quest line and this seemed to fix it.

Does anyone know what Friday's 1.3GB hotfix was supposed to fix? Because the game still kinda looks like the same crap as it did earlier... guess we'll need to wait and see what 'fixes' they have coming down the line in the next official patch.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

farther in the game(been playing it in spurts and am dealing with the underbosses(with lou first)) holy poo poo the game has a bit of a difficulty spike. now there are like 20 dudes a place and they are kinda bullet spongy and i am making jack poo poo in money so i am almost always in the red. any advice?

Abuse the gently caress out of the cover system and unless you're using a shotgun always go for head shots. Some dudes take 7 pistol rounds to put down for some reason but a head shot is always lethal.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I keep a silenced pistol as a sidearm for when I'm too lazy to go around knifing everyone. My main weapon is usually the AK-47 or M16 knockoff as they chew through every person and car in a few hits no matter where you shoot them and are still very accurate at a distance if you burst fire them.

Ammo is pretty plentiful as well for the most part so I rarely run out after clearing a room.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ZombyDog posted:

You learn in the cutscenes that the FBI had been stymied pretty early on because someone had nicked all of their gear :ninja: so they were pretty much behind the 8 ball the whole time during Lincoln's war of terror.

At the beginning of the game doesn't Donovan mention to you that he borrowed most of the equipment from the 'feebs' (which I'm pretty sure is a derogatory nickname for the FBI) so that if something goes down they can't tie if back to the CIA?

Also, I'm 35 hours into my first play through and I'm still not done. I have all the missions in the Southdowns and Frisco Fields left to do but I have to make sure I'm not missing anything but god drat this can be a real slog.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In addition to being poorly optimized (which I've not really noticed since I have fairly current hardware) the game also looks like poo poo on the highest setting in places for no reason. Even on the highest graphical setting it looks like this thing belongs to another era.

The chrome on most vehicles is really this textureless grey colour and the sky (when it's not clear) looks like some weird pixelated oil painting that's constantly shifting and everything has this 'aura' around it. It's like the tress and other things are sprites that don't have transparent background perfectly fitted. It's really strange in a modern game. It's hard to describe without seeing it in motion.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ZombyDog posted:

You can eliminate most of that effect ( if you're running an Nvdia card, I have no idea about any AMD equivalent ) by turning down ingame AA and using DSR ( I'm using the 1.77 ratio for 2560x1440 on a 1920x1080 monitor). You shouldn't see any difference in framerate but that weird halo effect is a result of their AA.

I had tried playing around with all that - adjusting AA, removing depth of field, playing around with the shadows - but every time I restarted the game it would reset some of the setting and I just gave up after a while. It was mostly a tradeoff of what you didn't mind looking like poo poo. The worst was the game looking like a blurry mess; as if I was standing 50'-60' away and trying to play without my glasses on.

None of the changes fix things like all the colours being washed out, the sky looking like poo poo or things like chrome being a flat grey no matter what. I could overlook the shallowness of the gameplay to some degree if the game was at least pretty to look at, but god drat it's like they cut every corner they could to ship this ASAP. The (main) story is interesting but that's really all it has going for it. I think my gaming OCD is the only thing that keeps me plowing through this one bit at a time. Someone mentioned earlier in the threat that this game is best played in brief spurts so the sameness didn't wear on you and they were absolutely right.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

spooky like this! posted:

I thought it was kind of weird how when you beat the game and load back into the game it puts you before you make the choice.

Something goofy happened when I (ending spoiler) chose the "kill" ending. Father James puts a bomb under your car but when I left the car I took wasn't immediately there so I just took one of the other ones. Which made it look like he just put bombs in all the cars there.

That sounds like something a Catholic priest would do, so I'm okay with that.

The game has the IRA in it after all.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I finally got around to finishing this (after 46 hours played so far) and I definitely didn't expect things to take the turn they did at the very end... kinda pissed though as Vito's "In Need a Favor" mission got screwed up after the briefing for the 4th target and I was never able to fix it, so I never saw the end of the quest and I wasn't about to start over at that point. Did it change anything at the end and help shed light on the driver? Guess I'll just look it up.

Going to put the game away for the next while, maybe if they ever get around to patching this like they say they are I'll give it another spin. As for the DLC, I'll be waiting for it to be very heavily discounted before I ever pick it up. Think I've sunk enough into this as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I see Mafia III has downloaded a 5.8GB patch so I don't know what they gently caress they're doing but I think this is the second gigantic patch to come out since the game came out a month ago. I'm currently engrossed with other games at the moment but maybe I'll give this another run though over the weekend or something.

• Locked thread