Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

littleorv posted:

Well Mafia III has been out for a while now so I guess I'll come check out the thread for some opinions on the game and decide whether I'll buy it in the morning

Oh FPS chat, great.

Wait, what is this?!

:yikes:

Out for a while? Did a bunch of people get early access to the game somehow? It shows as being unlocked in an hour for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have it working. I didn't do anything special. I even have my xbone controller working too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't loaded it up yet, but I guess there's two weeks for them to release this patch and for people to say the game runs well before I'll just refund and wait until it's on sale.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I played about an hour. I usually don't notice low framerates unless I can directly compare so the 30fps wasn't too bad. It's a bit annoying but it would be worse if I had something to compare it to. I'll play some more after the patch to see if it's worth keeping. I did like some of the details though like gators eating dudes you throw in the water.

Some things I don't like: Where's all the on screen indicators of what's going on? In the first mission, it would pop up saying what radio station I was listening to, it no longer does that. What's the speed limit? Where's the speed limiter? It was a major feature of the previous two games. How do I know what car I'm in? Previous games would pop up something saying the brand and model of car. I don't see that anywhere in this game.

I'll wait for the patch, see how people like it and then play a bit more I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Bottom left of the screen has pop ups for both the radio and car make. The speed limiter was literally the first control I looked for in the key bindings when I started and was incredibly disappointed. I don't even think red lights get you noticed by the cops.

That's where the radio was originally but it no longer does that. I tried looking for a setting that I might have changed but there's nothing. Maybe it just glitched or something. Oh well, I'll see after the patch. I don't want to put too much time into this so I can still get a refund if I need to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

fadam posted:

How important is having played Mafia 1 and 2 for getting the story? This game looks right up my alley, but I read that the protagonist of M2 is a major character.

If it follows the style of Mafia 2, a minor reference at best. At the end of Mafia 1, you get a cutscene. At the end of Mafia 2, you take part in the cutscene from Mafia 1. I've only played an hour but so far the only reference I've gotten is "This money is from Scalleta" and the main character of the last game was Vito Scalleta.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

eleven extra elephants posted:

Did my game just glitch out? I'm in the intro bank heist, got the machine gun and then the first person I shot it cuts straight to a cutscene?

I don't know if it ever guess back, but that's what happens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The interact button on the xbone controller is X.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you don't want to spend money, you can try the demo for Mafia 2. Mafia 2 is still pretty decent and holds up six years later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Powershift posted:

What i don't get is that take-two owns rockstar, take-two owns 2k. They're paying for both games to be made, why wouldn't they at least license the rage engine from themselves, and have an easy starting point to build the game around? Why would they build Mafia 3 as a layer over saints row 2.

Because synergy doesn't exist.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What does it mean when something has an arrow above it? There was a body with an up arrow with a horizontal line above it. When I got close, it changed to a Y key. Earlier I went to go into cover and there was a down arrow in one spot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Post patch and the game is a bit better but it's disappointing. The game is most definitely rendering at 720p and upscaling which is very disappointing because I'm only getting 40-60fps with an i5 6600k and a GTX1070. I'm playing at 1440p and all the steam notifications and the overlay are twice the size they should be, not to mention they are all blurry. I really hope there's another patch that makes the game actually render at the resolution I choose. I can't believe console ports have gotten even worse over the years. I thought oversized UI from Bioshock and Oblivion were bad. Really sucks because I am really enjoying this game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess I just had some sort of bug. I restarted and it's rendering fine now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do later rackets take longer? People complain about too much repetition but for these early racket missions I'm only having to do one side mission before it tells me I've done enough damage.

^^^ Looking at wikipedia, that loosk like what happened. It says Hangar 13 made this game with the support of 2K Czech. 2K Czech was probably working on Mafia III in 2011/2012 then it got shelved. Then 2K Games had Hangar 13 work on it while having 2K Czech help them figure it out. It definitely looks like it's 360 era assets with modern rendering.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 9, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'm a little bit ahead of you and I quit, all I want to do is find out what happened to Vito and Joe.

Did you finish Mafia 2? Joe was killed for what he and Vito did. Vito was spared as a favor by Leo

ChocNitty posted:

This sums up the PC gamer mentality perfectly.

Let's just play the drat game.

Sorry, but when I pay AAA prices, I expect a AAA game. It's a shame when I can get a free to play game on steam that looks and runs better than this.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 9, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Deakul posted:

lol if u think $30 or $60 is enough money to get upset about lmao get an adult job kid

You're right. I regularly buy 700 dollar iphones and throw them away when they get smudged because of all my adult job money. Why am I even complaining about a video game that costs a pittance of 60 dollars?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

So do this game finally let you goof off in free roam shenanigans or is it very heavily scripted like the last two games?

Also, do they make you obey traffic laws in this game? That poo poo got old real fast in the previous games.

This game must have been made for you. It's heavily scripted at the start but then it opens up a couple hours in. Traffic laws don't seem to mean anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Joe definitely survived past the events of Mafia 2, just a debate of how long. Some people are saying he died like Vito said he did but there's no reason for the camera to focus on random fat guy bodyguard with the same face/nose at the end.

Has anyone else seen that ending? Mafia 4 is going to be pretty interesting if that was sequel bait rather than DLC bait.

At the end of what? Joes Adventures? I haven't played through that in a while so I don't remember how it ends (though I'm pretty sure it doesn't provide any info besides what he did while Vito was in jail). The end of the main campaign is pretty clear that joe gets taken off and killed. Unless he somehow escaped from some mafia guys driving him somewhere and did something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-VcmPM8NdY&t=151s

Edit: You mean the end of Mafia 3? I haven't finished it, so I don't know.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not to mention age.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'd wait until it goes on sale, but it's pretty good. It has good music and some of the most brutal gun play I've seen in a game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The one thing I hate about this game is every instance where it has a hint of something interesting in the world but it isn't implemented. There's all these auto shops scattered around but you can't do anything with them. I guess customizing cars comes later but it seems like it's something you select from that guy in the van. Lack of being able to change clothes sucks but then mafia 2 didn't really have any cool clothes either.

In doing some more looking around, maybe this game really was made by 2K Czech. Wikipedia says around 40 people from there were sent to Novato which is where Hangar 13 is based. If they could patch in some things from the old game, that would be really cool. Make the game at least on par with Mafia 2 and I'd recommend it to everyone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This is really disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixlszwKVVP0

Did they spend all their development time convincing legal to let them say "friend of the family" a bunch of times?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
One thing I really like about Mafia 3 is the gun play. You can't carry a lot of ammo so you have to constantly switch to different weapons while fighting through an area. It makes it feel more real. I don't just have unlimited ammo like many other games have. One problem is why would I buy a gun? When I buy one from that guy, does that mean I get it for free next time? I see no point in buying something when I'm going to be dumping it about 30 seconds into storming some place.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The things it does better vs the things it does worse are about even.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
:It is an xbox joke:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What other variety is there to put in? The only thing I can think of are some one time minigame set pieces in gtav. Everything else was driving to a place and shooting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That means Mafia 3 will be the new benchmark game.

The human eye can't even see more than 47fps anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I overclocked my CPU from 3.5Ghz to 4.1Ghz. I gained 5-10 FPS. Super lame. For all the things I dislike about this game, there are some cool details. I was in a neighborhood at night and knocked over a box of glass bottles and a dog barked in the distance. I drove through a tunnel and the radio got all crappy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Turns out you can kick doors open by meeleeing them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If his temps are that bad, he needs to get a new heatsink or fix the thermal paste on his current one. I don't know what mafia 3 would do to get higher temps than a stress test.

Anywho. The Samson Lakota is truly amazing. And the Smith Moray is once again the best car in the game. I don't know why they jumbled up all the cars and changed the names and brands though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My favorite crash is the one I get the first time I launch the game since restarting or just after a long period of not playing. I launch the game, hit continue and it loads in and then freezes. I have to alt tab to the task manager on another monitor to close Mafia 3. Then I launch it again and it's fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there any way to drive a forklift outside of a underboss killing mission? Two times now I've stormed a warehouse thinking "after I kill all these dudes, I want to drive that forklift" and once the mission is over, the forklift disappears. I know it's possible to drive them because I see the action button pop up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's Poor Man's GTA where you trade some of the fun gameplay for an actually interesting story.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

mystic pimp posted:

I find it really bizarre there's a not-Klan in this game considering this rear end in a top hat on the radio keeps talking about the Klan, so why not just make the "Southern Union" the loving Klan? Murdering all those fuckers with an M60 would be infinitely more satisfying that way.

Because the Ku Klux Klan is a real organization and disparaging them in a video game could lead to 2K getting sued for whatever reason. Even if there's no legal grounds for it, it's still a waste of lawyer fees.

Thanks for posting here. Hopefully performance is being worked on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I noticed mine does that. Is it supposed to stick to the box? I thought it was weird but didn't think much of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It turns out that when a guy calls for reinforcements, even if all they hear is gunshots and the guy on the phone dying, they still show up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Davoren posted:

I split the territories equally on my playthrough and wasn't able to unlock everything from everyone.

That's lame. So I have to decide which unlocks i want.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the truck delivery mission is one of my favorites. Though i'm one of those people who enjoyed truck simulator. It's fun to back the trailer into the spot. It seems like once the mission ends, you can't drive the truck anymore. I wish I could drive a semi truck all the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why can't Lincoln climb onto shore? I'm sick of being killed by Gauss m gators because he refuses to walk up the shore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Speaking of modifying cars. I guess I'm not far enough in the game to unlock it in that van. How does it work? You can't store cars, so are you only able to modify the cars that you can get from Burke's associate? Or do you modify a car for no reason because you'll just lose it a few minutes later?

• Locked thread