Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Triggered posted:

This is the patriarchal grip, this is the best secret handshake you learn in the temple:

lol that's one of the masonic handshakes too isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol that's one of the masonic handshakes too isn't it

Well considering Mormons stole all the mason ceremonies and used them for their temple stuff its not too surprising. Joseph Smith was a master mason.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I (seriously) love reading about these weird mormon secrets. I also love listening to Doug Fabrizio's NPR shows about weird mormon stuff. Mormons are great. I'm a fan.

For non Utah goons Doug is our local NPR nerd and he occasionally does really good shows that get into the weird cultural and historical stuff that makes mormonism so interesting to us outsiders. http://radiowest.kuer.org/

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 29, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

wildemere posted:

When I lived in Sydney in the mid '90s we got almost weekly visits from clean cut young Mormon Americans.

I used to ask them in for a beer & watch some TV. Almost always refused until one day a pair of SLC boys came in, sat on the couch, chugged some beers & we watched Star Wars DVD.

They were there for nearly 2 hours. Them boys couldn't get enough. Hard to get rid of in the end.

Didn't talk about much mormon poo poo but I did ask about the Garments though, that made them uncomfortable so more Tooheys Tijnies all round.

They left visibly drunk. Rode off on wobbly bicycles.

you're one chill motherfucker

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

i love when religious people do poo poo like this. Like what who are you fooling here, God?

Same. Maybe it's because I was raised catholic, so y'know guilt, but it never ceases to boggle my mind when the devout think they can pull a fast one on the big guy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I worked with the Utah Conservation Corps last fall for my Americorps; lived in Cedar City for 3 months nice little town by the mountains. It was funny about getting to my apartment because I flew and soon learned there was no transit and the taxi service wasn't responding to my calls so I decided to start walking; thankfully it was cloudy and 70 that day in the desert. Made it to the highway when an old Native American in a pick up coming from a golf game offered to ride me to my apartment. Trained up in Logan and learned how to use a chainsaw and get wilderness first aid.

I was stationed in Bryce Canyon for the whole three months (4 days on 3 days off) and it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen with my eyes, even compared to Zion. First crew all quit on me though since they hated spraying weeds for a week while making 550 every two weeks on a stipend from the Americorps. 2nd Crew was much better.

Most of UT should just be bought off by the government and made into one gigantic national park.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

achillesforever6 posted:

Most of UT should just be bought off by the government and made into one gigantic national park.

Most of the cool stuff is already, or BLM land. Southern Utah is def nice for that. Also, lucky. I love Zion and Bryce and we'd go there often and it was always my dream job to be a park ranger stationed somewhere there. Then I realized p much pay and everything was poo poo and it's only be fun for a short stint while your single in early/mid 20s.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
that one stretch of I-70 freaking sucks. its rocks for 100 miles.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Why did the Mormons massacre pioneers? How is that discussed in LDS circles today?

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Frosted Flake posted:

Why did the Mormons massacre pioneers? How is that discussed in LDS circles today?

Fairly simple, it wasnt discussed in LDS circles. The church never taught about it when I grew up in the church. Brother Brigham tore down the memorial originally and its only in the past few that the church has acknowledged the massacre and put up a new memorial.

Earlier apologetics said that the poor persecuted Mormons were afraid that this band of unarmed migrants were going to attack them. They also somehow heard the migrants were saying bad things about brother Joseph so it wasnt so bad they were killed.

Recent apologetics now say they were bad men that did it but they emphasise that church leaders were not involved. Brigham maybe didnt order the killings (which im not sure on) but he made sure that the vast majority of the participants didnt get prosecuted. These men murdered everyone apart from children small enough not to remember.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Triggered posted:

This is the patriarchal grip, this is the best secret handshake you learn in the temple:

lol that was my fraternities. probably used a lot

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Suppose there are only a few handshakes you can do. The first handshake you put your thumbs on the first knuckle. The second is between the first and second knuckle, the third you stretch out your hand and the other person places their thumb and fore finger on the palm and outside the hand. Last one is the patriarchal grip.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What is the worst thing Mormons have done in the name of their faith?

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

fits my needs posted:

What is the worst thing Mormons have done in the name of their faith?

Toss up between blood atonement, treating black people as an inferior race or its current treatment of homosexuals.

Sorry polygamy is probably the worst. Its lovely fruit keeps lingering on and on.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Chinatown posted:

that one stretch of I-70 freaking sucks. its rocks for 100 miles.

Keep driving, you won't be missed.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
My polygamist neighbors down the road seem pretty happy.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Edgar posted:

My polygamist neighbors down the road seem pretty happy.

So do muslims right before they blow themselves up for alah.

I'm sure you'd be happy too if you sincerely believed you'd be eternally ineligible for having any kind of relationship with your chosen deity, who btw totally loves you and wants a relationship with you too but due to the very rules he set, he somehow just can't manage that unless you devote yourself to some dude 30 years your senior and let him call you his 4th wife and screw you whenever he felt like it while you forsake any actual possibility of real love, and then that dream of being some guy's throwaway dicksock finally came true, giving you your key to the best heaven.

It's not the rarest thing in the world to find the ignorant and stupid poisoned into believing a miserable situation is actually a joyous one.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 30, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

So do muslims right before they blow themselves up for alah.

At least you didn't go the :hitler: route.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

GreatGreen posted:

It's not the rarest thing in the world to find the ignorant and stupid poisoned into believing a miserable situation is actually a joyous one.

It's very sad, though. Do the church elders or did the founders actually believe all this stuff? Stuff like Smith having a specific revelation that mentioned his wife's name and said she had to accept polygamy makes me think its foundation was self serving cynical bullshit that's just been built on with more bullshit.

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions, etc.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's very sad, though. Do the church elders or did the founders actually believe all this stuff? Stuff like Smith having a specific revelation that mentioned his wife's name and said she had to accept polygamy makes me think its foundation was self serving cynical bullshit that's just been built on with more bullshit.

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions, etc.

LDS doesn't officially condone polygamy anymore but yes, the leaders acknowledge that polygamy was a "necessary" thing for a lot of womens' salvation, you see...

The gist is that both men and women can only really get into the top heaven through the good graces of their spouses, which is incidentally why family is so important to LDS members. It's purely selfish. "I can't get into heaven without having a great family and being devoted to it, so that's what I'll have and that's what I'll be." In this system, man achieves heaven through the graces of his wife, and woman achieves heaven through the graces of her husband. The sexism comes in by the fact that only men can get "the priesthood" or in other words "the authority of the church" bestowed upon them. This authority grants them the ordained ability to stamp their seal of approval on their wives' applications into heaven, the application being marriage to the LDS man with the priesthood. And the man through having a family and trying to "repopulate the world with the righteous" is his heavenly application that will be approved by the church, or heaven itself.

This also explains why according to the church an LDS man can get into heaven if he chooses to marry a non-LDS woman, but an LDS woman forfeits her ticket to heaven if she marries a non-LDS man. It's a fantastic tool the Mormons use to control their women into not loving anybody they don't approve of while allowing the men to gently caress whoever.

So by this logic, polygamy is necessary to save women from Mormon purgatory by marrying them off to LDS men so they can get into heaven.

The actual reason polygamy exists as we all know is to save LDS men from having to think about having their women stolen and then being cu... well you know, by all those evil non-LDS men.

At its heart, the entire religion is about using people's sexuality and their familial instincts as weapons against them for control over them. It's really disgusting.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 30, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thanks for this. christianity that preaches the "prosperity gospel" makes me want to puke, it goes against everything jesus preached. i know it's a big thing in evangelical denominations across the world but didn't know it was an LDS thing too

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Regarding the "Destroying Angels", the classic Sherlock Holmes story "A Study In Scarlet", if not strictly accurate in every detail, gives a good account of how the Mormons were seen outside of Europe. Basically like a Scorcese flick except Joe Pesci doesn't ever curse because it's against his religion. "Let me find out you didn't marry your daughter to one of our bishops, I'll leave you wherever the frick I find you."

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Triggered posted:

I thought this was the "Let's have gay sex in the bathroom stall" handshake.... I think I've been misled!

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

GreatGreen posted:

LDS doesn't officially condone polygamy anymore but yes, the leaders acknowledge that polygamy was a "necessary" thing for a lot of womens' salvation, you see...

The gist is that both men and women can only really get into the top heaven through the good graces of their spouses, which is incidentally why family is so important to LDS members. It's purely selfish. "I can't get into heaven without having a great family and being devoted to it, so that's what I'll have and that's what I'll be." In this system, man achieves heaven through the graces of his wife, and woman achieves heaven through the graces of her husband. The sexism comes in by the fact that only men can get "the priesthood" or in other words "the authority of the church" bestowed upon them. This authority grants them the ordained ability to stamp their seal of approval on their wives' applications into heaven, the application being marriage to the LDS man with the priesthood. And the man through having a family and trying to "repopulate the world with the righteous" is his heavenly application that will be approved by the church, or heaven itself.

This also explains why according to the church an LDS man can get into heaven if he chooses to marry a non-LDS woman, but an LDS woman forfeits her ticket to heaven if she marries a non-LDS man. It's a fantastic tool the Mormons use to control their women into not loving anybody they don't approve of while allowing the men to gently caress whoever.

At its heart, the entire religion is about using people's sexuality and their familial instincts as weapons against them for control over them. It's really disgusting.

Correction, they dont practice polygamy on Earth for the time being, nothing has changed about the eternal aspect of polygamy.

Men can be sealed to more than one woman in the temple still. Two of the apostles alive today (Nelson and Oaks) are both sealed to two women. I saw Oaks in person with his poo poo eating grin brag about getting his new wife.

I spoke in an earlier post about getting your new name in the temple. Your wife must tell you hers because you will be the one bringing her forth from the grave. You dont tell her your secret name though.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
when i was in federal prison it was very surprising to me that it was packed with mormons. even my cellie was a mormon from vegas. these guys were all in there for financial/mortgage fraud. even in prison these guys kept the 2-faced super nice act up.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the great deceiver posted:

when i was in federal prison it was very surprising to me that it was packed with mormons. even my cellie was a mormon from vegas. these guys were all in there for financial/mortgage fraud. even in prison these guys kept the 2-faced super nice act up.
were you in a Club Fed sorta prison?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

were they allowed to have more than one prison wife?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

were you in a Club Fed sorta prison?

yeah for the last year and a half, that was where i met the mormons. i was in higher security before that and i didnt meet any mormons there. the club feds out west are filled with em though.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My new Mormon name would be Tengo L. Penechapo

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

yeah for the last year and a half, that was where i met the mormons. i was in higher security before that and i didnt meet any mormons there. the club feds out west are filled with em though.

What were they in for?

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

ElGroucho posted:

My new Mormon name would be Tengo L. Penechapo

You would be assigned something poo poo like Jethro or Nimrod.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

What were they in for?

most were in for mortgage fraud. 2 of them were in for weed surprisingly enough. one guy was a financial advisor that had ripped off like half the elderly people at his LDS temple for like 17 million.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Isn't there another unique mormon business in which they edit mainstream movies to make them non-sinful?

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

etalian posted:

Isn't there another unique mormon business in which they edit mainstream movies to make them non-sinful?

It was called "Clean Flicks" and for a brief period of time there were a dozen of them franchised across the Wasatch Front.
Some production company didn't like them editing movies and sued them out of business. This was in the early 2000's.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dick Bass posted:

It was called "Clean Flicks" and for a brief period of time there were a dozen of them franchised across the Wasatch Front.
Some production company didn't like them editing movies and sued them out of business. This was in the early 2000's.

lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CleanFlicks

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Dick Bass posted:

There's a documentary about them by the same name, it's really good also the owner went to prison for paying a couple teens to blow him lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
To be fair to LDS doctrine, they teach that blessing and rewards may come in this life or the next. So if you're doing everything right but are poor as gently caress, don't worry, your blessing will be awesome, just gotta wait a bit longer!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Has this thread gone over how hosed up the mormon afterlife is? If not, I'll provide a good guide for you.

First off, did you know that how good of a person you are has nothing to do with mormon heaven? It doesn't matter if you lived every day to help others or died to save the ones you love. God gives zero fucks about that. The only thing that matters in the afterlife is how much work you have done to bring more people into the church and how selflessly you have devoted your life to the church.

When you die your soul is separated from the body. The soul can then end up in two possible places. If you are a good, obedient mormon you get to go to spirit paradise. Here you will be required to spend your time doing missionary work to convert the souls of the lost (non mormons) over to mormonism. You will do this until your judgment session with big G arrives.
If you are a filthy heathen or an inadequate mormon you go to spirit prison, where you will suffer from regret and shame from your unrepented sins, and loneliness because you will be separated from everyone you ever knew. The only way out is to accept mormonism and do missionary work to atone for not being a good mormon. Once you are good enough, you go to spirit paradise until big G calls you up for judgment.

After you are judged by the big man, you get to go to one of three levels of heaven based on how mormon you are.

Level 1 heaven is for all sinners and non-believers and everyone who ended up in spirit prison. It is apparently like regular life is, except better in some unexplained way. People who are considered good but not mormon enough will end up here. Murderers and criminals of all types are allowed into this level as well.

Level 2 heaven is for mormons who failed to reach their full potential. Apparently it is supposed to be amazing and desirable, but I have never been told how or why it is better than Level 1. All I know is that mormons end up here if they failed to pay their tithes or marry a mormon and have kids, or failed to do everything that the church has asked of them. Lucky for those mormons, just being part of the church is enough to live in an afterlife that is many magnitudes better than the non mormons' afterlife.

Level 3, the ultimate super heaven, is reserved only for perfect mormons. Those who live here get to chill with God himself and be gods in their own right (BUT NOT IF THEY ARE WOMEN). Women who get to go here are still subservient to their husbands and get to be breeding-cattle who produce the spirits that will populate the worlds that their god-husbands make. Also, people who go to level 3 get to have the people of level 2 as their eternal servants.

Sounds pretty good, right?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That actually sounds like Level 1 would be chiller than Level 2

Level 2 just sounds 'better' by virtue of the fact that you're living in Level 1 heaven but you're still just their servant so gently caress that, plus all the interesting people are gonna be in 1

pffff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

what's the official LDS stance on divorce and remarriage? all i know is that they'll grant you a divorce in this world, but you'll always be considered married in mormon heaven. how hard is it to actually get one- is it Hasidic Jewish levels of "impossible without a husband's consent" or less than that?

i'm wondering because i had two utah mormon babysitters when i was younger. both of them got divorced- one because her husband was refusing to take his bipolar medication and she didn't feel safe having her 4 children around him, one i'm not sure why but i knew her then-boyfriend looked like a creepy bastard even when i was 3 years old. that second one had one daughter and remarried, but she's not as observant of a mormon as before, if she is at all

• Locked thread