Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
yo apparently my school has a huge day care program because there were children everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Elsa posted:

yo apparently my school has a huge day care program because there were children everywhere

Depending on the school's size or the types of academic programs they run I don't think this is too uncommon. And I believe they usually provide deals for faculty/staff/students in these types of programs.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

except everyone is doing this now and there's a glut of those degrees just like the legal degrees a few years back

lmao hosed again by the cold hard dick of the free market

lmao at the economic system that makes education worth less the more there is

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
university made me a trump supporter

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

dookifex_maximus posted:

lmao at the economic system that makes education worth less the more there is

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
its basic supply and demand, if you have a larger supply of degrees than the demand calls for, the value of those degrees will fall

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the problem is "middle tier poo poo manager" is a skill that almost anyone could do, but its not a salary everyone in society could earn. society only requires so many of these middle class people, so there has to be some kind of filter

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

dookifex_maximus posted:

its basic supply and demand, if you have a larger supply of degrees than the demand calls for, the value of those degrees will fall

yes this is pretty normal I was questioning how you propose to solve this fundamental feature of free markets

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Lichy posted:

yes this is pretty normal I was questioning how you propose to solve this fundamental feature of free markets

not a valid question, free markets cant exist

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Congrats on feeding the college-industrial complex of this country

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lichy posted:

if we raise the price of tuition and remove government loans the degrees will reach a market equilibrium.

the free market can not fail, it can on be failed

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lurk Ethic posted:

college breeds ivory tower liberal pussies, get out before its too late

This is accurate.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Back on to "not learning but making the grade", when was the last time someone manually subnet masked anything without just using a subnet calculator? Why the gently caress does it matter then I have memorized what the ASCII code for a lower case a is? I wish this were actually server configuration instruction and not "this is all found easliy on your smartphone 101".

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

Dongattack posted:

i didnt learn a thing in college either, i was constantly afraid of everything and everyone and then i dropped out after like 5+ failed exams and became a professional mentally ill person, GOOD LUCK

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I declared engineering initially and I had an existential crisis in most of my classes knowing there are apps for your phone to replace everything you were learning to do manually. Google translate? point the camera at a sign and it will translate the language into english, real-time, right on the screen. math? wolfram alpha.

why would I learn to do this poo poo when A: my iphone can do it and B: there are 200 million chinese and indian kids who will do it better and cheaper.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Jebediah posted:

Back on to "not learning but making the grade", when was the last time someone manually subnet masked anything without just using a subnet calculator? Why the gently caress does it matter then I have memorized what the ASCII code for a lower case a is? I wish this were actually server configuration instruction and not "this is all found easliy on your smartphone 101".

It seems like you're not paying attention to what I've been saying. You gotta learn that poo poo yourself, :lol: if you expect anything remotely topical from a CC, you are there to pay your way through the class filter

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I started Tech School and I got two years until I get my degree in computer networking. Pell Grant also covered everything as long as I make good grades, and If I make above a B I basically get paid for it.

Only go to a credited school, go for a degree in a trade and you can be like me and get loving paid while going to school.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Katamari Democracy posted:

get loving paid while going to school.

This is what I been saying. God, it sounds so obvious saying out loud and yet so many don't follow this simple advice

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The Protagonist posted:

It seems like you're not paying attention to what I've been saying. You gotta learn that poo poo yourself, :lol: if you expect anything remotely topical from a CC, you are there to pay your way through the class filter

This is, and I say this with the utmost sincerity, a highly regarded school that employers frequently choose candidates from over 4 year schools because of their reputation for producing well qualified applicants.

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016
The problem is either the school you are attending or the major you have chosen. I bet if you were studying electrical engineering in a highly ranked program you would not feel this way.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Jebediah posted:

This is, and I say this with the utmost sincerity, a highly regarded school that employers frequently choose candidates from over 4 year schools because of their reputation for producing well qualified applicants.

Hey man, that's great and all, but seriously with all sincerity they are trying to spark a desire to learn and facilitate doing it but they won't actually do any job training whatsoever.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kephael posted:

The problem is either the school you are attending or the major you have chosen. I bet if you were studying electrical engineering in a highly ranked program you would not feel this way.

I think you're either correct or I have Adult ADD and should take medication.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
most college classes are actually a huge waste of time. like honestly just read some drat books.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The Protagonist posted:

Hey man, that's great and all, but seriously with all sincerity they are trying to spark a desire to learn and facilitate doing it but they won't actually do any job training whatsoever.

It's like this. I do study, I do the required assignments and projects and I take all of the notes during lecture. I'm starting to realize that I do not retain anything after the semester is done and I move on to the next subject.

Does anyone? Retain the information, I mean....

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
my degree is biochemistry and yeah I do retain lots of information despite myself

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
but I also love my gay science

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Yeah loving it is good, the Feynman method is better. I only really retained stuff when I started restating my notes in a self explanatory way and then also tutoring it.

But then that was mathematics and physics which I have a suspicion is unfathomably more sublime than IT

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Things that are mechanical in nature I relate to and never forget how to operate, for instance changing brake pads or terminating cat-5 in a punch-down block.

Maybe with my degree I can get a job at Jiffy Lube.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

OP attends Devry

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

The Protagonist posted:

Yeah loving it is good, the Feynman method is better. I only really retained stuff when I started restating my notes in a self explanatory way and then also tutoring it.

But then that was mathematics and physics which I have a suspicion is unfathomably more sublime than IT

tell us more about your method

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Elsa posted:

I declared engineering initially and I had an existential crisis in most of my classes knowing there are apps for your phone to replace everything you were learning to do manually. Google translate? point the camera at a sign and it will translate the language into english, real-time, right on the screen. math? wolfram alpha.

why would I learn to do this poo poo when A: my iphone can do it and B: there are 200 million chinese and indian kids who will do it better and cheaper.
:eng101:
actual important people take the humanities. if you want to make engines take math, if you want to make engineers take something a little less autistic

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Lichy posted:

tell us more about your method

Hmmm... I would but this feels disingenuous somehow.

Actually it's pretty easy, I had started doing it before I knew what it was called. Just start rewriting your notes later as study time more clearly and in a way that you explain the subject matter to yourself.

So don't just scribe copy it, but actually digest what was happening in each step and line. This would often mean long pauses from writing anything while I reconstructed a totally mystifying warp that had made sense at the time only because of the now missing verbal component.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
math as a hobby I hear is pretty good at not letting your brain box rot with age if your job is not intellectually stimulating

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Lichy posted:

math as a hobby I hear is pretty good at not letting your brain box rot with age if your job is not intellectually stimulating

None of our brains would be rotting with age at all if you'd get off your lazy biochemistry rear end aND CURE ALZHEIMER'S YOU FUCKER!

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

None of our brains would be rotting with age at all if you'd get off your lazy biochemistry rear end aND CURE ALZHEIMER'S YOU FUCKER!

maybe you should write to Obama to give me your bloody tax dollars then

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I have a buddy who is no poo poo working hard on Alzheimer's and was telling me all about how the mechanism behind it was some loving ion jacking up the cytoskeleton and giving it microboneitis or whatever and I nodded and got more drunk

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CANNIBAL GIRLS posted:

OP attends Devry

Nah, nor ECPI or ITT Tech.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

ROFLburger posted:

drop out and suck dicks for a living

Skip step one.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

The Protagonist posted:

I have a buddy who is no poo poo working hard on Alzheimer's and was telling me all about how the mechanism behind it was some loving ion jacking up the cytoskeleton and giving it microboneitis or whatever and I nodded and got more drunk

It's proteins that misfold and clump up, loving up ur brain cells.

Lichy posted:

maybe you should write to Obama to give me your bloody tax dollars then

What's he gonna do? He's out in a few months and also he hasn't been returning my calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

It's proteins that misfold and clump up, loving up ur brain cells.

Yeah that's what I said

• Locked thread