Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

A.o.D. posted:

I've had quests break in weird ways with Bruuma. For instance, the not-mage's guild quest broke when I was supposed to find strange objects. The best I could do was find a blue bubbly particle effect emanating from a non descript bit of wall between the ground floor and basement.

I had this too :( Generally Bruma has been fantastic but my mage dudes, what is your deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Followup - I patched to the latest patch and now I found it.

the items are a book, a soul gem on a bed post, and a boot on the stair railing

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

wormil posted:

I found 2 of those 3 but in different places. I ended up completing the quest a different way. Via College of the Whispers

Question about Rigmor of Bruma, I thought I got a letter from her asking me to visit (after the quest completed) but the next (real life) day - no letter, no quest to visit. Did I imagine that or did something bug out somewhere?

Probably bugged out, that mod glitches to heck if you so much as look at it wrong.

E: Also, two more little things that are driving me crazy about Bruma - the "syn" in "Synod" sounds like "sin", not like "sign". Nobody told the voice actors this though. :argh:

Also, the past tense of "sting" is "stung", not "stang". If I hear one more bandit/necromancer talk about how much my sword "stang", I'm going to resurrect them and then kill them again. :eng99: :black101:

Dalris Othaine fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 22, 2017

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

greetings fellow goons, long time reader, first time poster

I'm having a glitch that's driving me up the wall - whenever a ghost dies, I crash immediately to desktop. So far it's been a ghost added by a mod, the ghosts in Yngol Barrow, and the spooky black edgy spectres in Meridia's temple. Any ideas?

Load order: https://pastebin.com/fvR6mQ0h

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

GaistHeidegger posted:

Did you already try walking yourself back through mod installs to prior to this occurring, or is that buried in the annals of history? You've been using LOOT for load order and whatnot?

This is almost certainly something it's trying to load that has a bad reference attached to it, whether that's a mesh or other effect. How familiar are you with tooling around in xEdit to peruse what mods are doing? More than likely there's something in your mod list that has modified the NPC / race entries that the ghosts you're crashing with are referencing and Skyrim is trying to load a missing file upon death.

Yeah, I was thinking it was something up with the dead ghostblob, but I wouldn't have the first idea of how to track that down. (also yes, loot sorted, ages ago, usual song and dance here). Nothing in my mod list should mess with ghosts - that is, nothing there is advertised as doing it. No ghost overhauls or whatever, and I tried swapping out my body mods, the xpmse skeleton, and the rest.

I will try this "xEdit" - is there a good tutorial somewhere?

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

It's actually pretty straightforward. The files are relatively simple hierarchical data structures that are pretty well organized, though they are big. There are tutorials on YouTube, but I didn't actually finish any of them and just started poking at the files. I've been doing it with the Fallout 4 flavor, but it's pretty much the same poo poo. If you try to change (break) anything, the software brings up a big warning and makes you wait three seconds, so you really can just go hog wild without worrying that you are going to brick your game.

I'll see what I can do - this looks like Spanish to me. Spanish in code.

That said, I did find a lead - there are three types of "ghostly remains" in my game. I tried to spawn one of each type - two worked, the third did a hard crash. Attaching a screenshot.

E:

The first two were what worked, when I submitted the third one, instant CTD. How would I go about seeing what's messing with it?

Dalris Othaine fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 20, 2018

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

find the item with that ID number and xedit will tell you what mods touch it, then you can do some detective work

It looks like it's referenced by a few mods, but I don't see anything that says what changes it. I tried out disabling the mods that reference it one by one and then all at once, but no dice.

Is there anything more basic than the xEdit guide on S.T.E.P? It seems to assume a level of fluency that I'm just not at.

Dalris Othaine fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 20, 2018

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

8one6 posted:

Project AHO has great environments, ok voice acting, and is one of the most tedious things I've ever played.

:same:

If Forgotten City is a 10 on the "weird isolated area with odd physical rules that you're trapped in" scale, AHO is like.. a 2? Basically everything that was intriguing about it wasn't followed up on, and the poo poo I didn't care about was front and center.

Also it added those stupid landing pads to like half the dwarven ruins :argh:

(still hunting down my ghost bug)

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I did manage to find out which mods were poking at it - not as many as I thought, and not the ones I thought. I disabled those, and nothing happened. I tried the binary search tree, it didn't work. Finally I uninstalled and reinstalled all the mods, and now it works.

:iiam:

ty for all your help though, I learned things about xEdit at least!

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Also fun times at Ms Adequate's place where I had to totally reformat my drive and thus lost my extremely painstaking assembled mod collection that took me days to install and tweak and play nice :suicide:

ah, the pain of chronic modding. sometimes I get the urge to say "no this time I'll just play instead of spending the night before a new game working out a loadout", but it never happens :v:

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Read to the point where you have Legacy of the Dragonborn installed and stopped. Did he ever fix the huge number of typos and grammatical errors?

Last time I tried it, he had called Solstheim "Soltheim." This was voice acted. The modder straight-up told me they didn't care about that sort of thing in PMs, so I ditched the mod.

I've played through the entirety of Legacy once and I didn't notice too many. Maybe I was just having too much fun with my weird relic museum/archaeology pals? :shrug:

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

The Doormat posted:

It also seems to work just fine activated from the start if you use an alternate start mod, at least in my own experience.

Same. That said, for a "rebuild Helgen" mod, there sure is a lot of "not-rebuilding Helgen" content in it that also is not great imo.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Pylons posted:

Has he mentioned anything about adding Mannimarco?

If you want Worm Cult stuff, do Undeath.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6180

You'll have 99 problems but a lich ain't one because you are the lich and you make problems for other people you see

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He sort of became a god at the end of Daggerfall so it's not unreasonable. Who loving knows though. I don't think the writers did

I'm still a little salty that Awake fell apart, that looked like it could have been fun :(

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

recruit

battle

huskies

not emptyquoting

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Helgen Reborn's a good one to start with because you can follow it's questline from start to finish without really deviating to or from other places, plus you basically get an entire town of your own as a reward for finishing it, so why not do it first? Also if you haven't done it yet I'd recommend adding The Forgotten City to that list. Just beware, if you start TFC it's one of those questlines where there is no way to bail out on it unless you complete it or dive all the way back to a save from before you started it.

Note that your mileage may vary - I found 70% of Helgen Reborn dumb and repetitive and Project AHO could be 2018's poster child for "we completely wasted a cool premise".

Forgotten City is the bomb dot com though, play it! Moon and Star/Wheels of Lull also good.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

I think an excellent modpack middleground would to be able to export modlists from Mod Organizer that another user could just click on and start downloading.

Isn't that modpicker?

(is that the joke? :ohdear:)

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

Anyone know of a music replacing mod?
Preferable to replace with Zelda music, since I need something good to listen to after learning about Soule.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4827

Also what happened to Soule?

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

*checks back in* so did he get cancer or

Crazypoops posted:

He said his music is inspired by his loving rape victims.

:yikes: ooookay then, gently caress him

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Leal posted:

Yeah, a little after Morroblivion finishes up

Late to the party, but didn't Morroblivion finish up a few years ago? I know I've played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Leal posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

yeah I checked - everything's done except like 1% of Bloodmoon. Sadly, Oblivion jank is almost as much of a pain to deal with as Morrowind jank these days :(