Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Dolph is a much stronger promo tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

I had never really understood that phrase until I started watching Full Sail shows.
I mean all things being equal, there would probably be a few in attendance who recognized Young's weird wheelbarrow neckbreaker from TNA, but not enough and not quickly enough to start a chant. It's literally a "we read dirtsheets" chant. At least when people count visual pinfalls or whatever they're ostensibly serving the story in the ring.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Wolfe and Fulton were definitely working the Florida house shows but I'm not 100% certain if Young was with them. Pretty sure the names were out there before the tapings, though.

*e yeah the tapings were in September, the full stable was working house shows in late August. Our boy had the hookup: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=463599514#post463599514

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 18, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Go RV! posted:

I kind of fell off from NXT since the past Takeover, have I missed anything really important or fun?

I don't know about "fun" but the Dusty Tag Team Classic #2 just started up and the ~*SaNiTy*~ stable debuted last week, featuring former (possibly future???) jobbers Sawyer Fulton and Alexander Wolfe plus a repackaged Eric Young in what can only be described as a Black Bloc anarchist gimmick. They faced Roode and Tye, who tagged briefly until Roode walked out on Tye to set up a match at Takeover Canada. Andrade lost matches against Austin Aries and Cedric Alexander, then tagged with Alexander and beat him down after a loss, thus turning heel, which should hopefully help his rudderless push (it helps that Cedric was white hot as a face after the CWC). Mickie James is challenging Asuka at the next Takeover since no other women in the actual division have caught on (plus Asuka is Joshi Hogan with stiffer kicks). You'd think Ember Moon would have gotten a push but she's barely been seen.

All the other storylines are more or less where they were, otherwise.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The_Rob posted:

I don't see why not. It looks cool and I don't think it's really particularly dangerous to do.
They allow the Lumbar Check, isn't it basically that with a suplex setup?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm still onboard with Sanity and Nikki Cross, but they definitely need to move them out of squash territory if they're going to catch a spark.

I'm also onboard with some worked shoot Andrade heeling.

Anyway, Tucker Knight wasn't blowing me away in his last tag matchup (was he with Hugo Knox?), but this Otis Slavicname dude is the fun-loving Vader that Braun Stroman could have been, and his charm rubs off on Knight (probably during their belly bump moves). Otis has that nebulous physical charisma that deceptively spry refrigerator men like Rusev and Lesnar (and Big E, to a lesser extent) have.

Anyway, it's always fun to see a hoss team no-sell offense (honestly the key to getting strong guys over quick) and still lose clean. Team Thicc had a good outing but unfortunately the Dusty TTC 2 faces the same issue as NXT writ large - last time around, the show was sleek and firing on all cylinders and the teams that impressed (Revival, AA) earned top spots in an uncertain tag division. Right now we've got two top teams in title contention plus two strongly pushed teams treading water nonetheless.

If Team Thicc or Sanity get themselves over in hot matchups, where do they go? Where are their spots? We've got ttag title feuds mapped out for at least a year (provided that DIY wins and then feuds with AOP who feud with TM61). The show is overstuffed as it is.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Patrick Clark is, wait for it…

…

…

…

…

…

…

…

…

…

…

…

Good

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Stanfield posted:

My problem with Sanity is I'm not really sure what their gimmick is. I don't remember Wolfe and Fulton doing anything particularly interesting last week and Eric Young hasn't done anything interesting at all. Nikki's the only one who actually seems to have a character but even then it's not really solid. She beats people up after matches so it seems like it's meant to be that she's really violent, but then in her match she wasn't violent at all, she just bit her hand and stuff like that between regular wrestling moves. If their characters are that they're 'crazy' (which is bad in itself because just being 'crazy' without any other personality always ends up being poo poo) then how come Nikki's the only acting 'crazy' while Wolfe and Fulton actively try to stop her and Eric Young does nothing? Not to mention how the seriousness is undercut every time they drag Nikki off someone because it just highlights how tiny she is and makes her look like a child throwing a tantrum and not a post-apocalyptic meth-head or whatever she's meant to be.

They really need a promo or a vignette something to explain what their characters are.
What's not to understand? They're a contingent of Lord Humungus' army. They restrain and stiff each other b/c it's fun and cool to do so

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sanity is unironically the best thing about NXT right now and will continue to be until Team Thicc becomes a regular feature.

Look at the weekly livepost numbers and tell me I'm wrong

projecthalaxy posted:

I like it. It's like a grungy European Shield. I don't know why I think they are European but I do.
It makes sense. Black bloc meatheads' most visible public appearances in recent years have been during Greek austerity protests.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 25, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tokamak posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about Sanity because NXT has been treading water for months now, and perhaps this will make the format feel fresh again. At least they are a natural foils for The Authors of Pain (strength vs. numbers).
I think a nice and short hossy heel vs. heel feud ala Shield / Wyatts could work but I'm not sure Full Sail would consider themselves pandered to enough to let it roll

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That means he's got a one in three thirds chance of beating Samoa Joe

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is no-one watching NXT any more? There were 19 unread posts in this topic when I clicked it. It's a shame, I thought the Perkins/Ibushi vs. Ali/Dorado match was pretty decent. At least better than what they're letting the cruiserweights do on Raw. I still can't like TJP though.
It's like I've been saying, NXT has contracted the same ailment that the main roster shows had for awhile - there's too much and not enough meat at the same time, and more importantly, the only thing that matters is the PPV. NXT used to be a fun weekly show and now it's a wait to the next Takeover. Meanwhile Smackdown has really stolen its thunder (and its Ryan Ward).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Like, The Dusty Classic might draw people in as it coalesces, but the rest of the show is stagnant. Brooklyn II feels like forever ago and we've still got two rematches to get through plus one special attraction match with a forgone conclusion.

And they've made weird, RAW-esque booking choices lately - taking their hot babyface champ off TV for several weeks, keeping DIY away from the titles and teasing a breakup (or not bothering to discourage that line of thought) without follow-through.

And the women's division, yeesh. You can't blame it on call-ups - Nia Jax and Bayley were both obliterated by Asuka before they moved up, Alexa wouldn't have worked in a feud with someone basically speaking English phonetically. Nobody on the roster has been remotely built to Asuka's level. Except for Ember Moon. In a better world, we would be in the middle of the women's equivalent of the Hogan / Warrior build. But Moon has vanished from TV, without a worked (or real!) injury to explain it. Baffling.

NXT doesn't have its poo poo together. We're going to keep getting stiff kicks and no-selling until some Australian pulls the title from Asuka in a (bad) upset. Maybe Asuka is more comparable to dark age Trips than Hogan right now.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 27, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Triple posting to say: a year ago, 6 months ago, would a Roderick Strong debut have landed with a whisper?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I been sayin it since Brooklyn I - the general explosion in roster size did away with the title-centric vibe of the show and the influx of Name talents created credibility problems for the midcard where there were none before. 2 years ago all you needed to get into title contention was overness with the audience, now you have to be a guy established elsewhere. Tye has been Tyler Breeze 2 for awhile and it's only now that he even shows up on a Takeover card (where consistent booking dictates that he'll job to Roode, who's next in line to challenge for the title).

Of course the roster expansion was largely spurred by the development of NXT as a legitimate Brand with ambitious tours. Maybe we all necessitated this by being excited about the product.

What I'm saying is, I'm the rovert of NXT complaints

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Benne posted:

I think they stopped doing this because the wrestlers see it as a "demotion" and some were flat-out refusing the offer. IIRC Fox actually was one of those people.
By my recollection she was someone who wanted to go down but wasn't allowed. That was about the time Eva Marie was ostensibly going down to improve (but really to find her niche as a nuclear smark heat magnet) and Takeover Brooklyn I had just happened, with the broader main roster talent pool reportedly getting anxious about how they were being upstaged.

On the one hand, there were guys like Curt Hawkins and Brodus Clay who were actually demoted to job for a developmental talent and then get cut. On the other hand, Tyson Kidd had a great run as an NXT main event heel that primed him for a well-received main roster tag run. But those days are over in any case, mainly because NXT is its own brand apart from the main roster (remember when winning the title was about getting called up?) and so it runs into the same issues as talent sharing across companies generally, but also because bringing guys in and out between TakeOvers doesn't do anyone any good, because they're the focus. I have my own nostalgia for when NXT was an actual developmental fed and midcard WWE guys like Ziggler and Titus could go there to look like world-beaters for a little bit.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 27, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Well at least they won't have to scramble to cover their rear end on the Hideo / Aries feud

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ideally you would keep your champions strong and your contenders just as strong via matches with others and segments. But they don't have to build challengers because Joe vs. nakamura is our future. Plus both champions are Mary Sues that need super credible opponents, because they are much cooler and stronger than everyone else.

But Joe has already lost and Ember Moon is a ghost, so.

Tye shouldn't be in the main event, NXT is not a striver's show anymore. The way to approach an over guy coming out of the jobber pool when your main event talent absolutely has to look better than everyone else is to give him a strong midcard title run so that he can back up his challenges to the big names. NXT has no midcard belt and an hour a week. Give up on Tye as a contender.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Do we know if Tajiri is working as a road agent or something?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

DIdnt they kill the Trump gimmick because of "Make Darren Young Great Again"?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Patrick Clark is, wait for it…

…

…

…

…

…

…

…

…

…

…

…

Good

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

keevo posted:

So Shawn Michaels is now the new head of the Performance Center?
Like head coach? His track record as a trainer speaks for itself but Bloom is by all accounts well-beloved down there. Michaels isn't exactly known for his human touch

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

16 new posts? Must be a new NXT episode. Or a very minor piece of Observer gossip!

I feel like, honestly, what's needed is Andrade in the main event. Roode's not doing it for me in terms of anything but comedy segments. Plus it would stir a little faith in the show's ability to take chances. I just want to feel like NXT's moment hasn't passed.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Helps that he owns

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

drat they're gonna send Roddy back to ROH live on the network

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ShakeZula posted:

Wait, I've never really heard their names clearly before, are they seriously going for "Occam's Razor?"
Yes

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They'll always be the Hoss Time Express, to me

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

checksin posted:

Dudes worth something in ROH today:
-Jay Lethal
-Dalton Castle
-Adam Cole
-the bucks kind of???
-Dalton Castle's boys
- geek Randy Orton

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I think the lesson they came away with from the Ward era was "old school is good school", but they forgot that territorial wrestling could be dull as hell too.

Much as I dislike Full Sail, I'm not wholly convinced that they're to blame for guys not getting over. One of the things Ward was great at doing was manipulating the Full Sail crowd into caring about alignment and gimmick, the way SD has been using Ellsworth to get Styles over as a heel despite being the best wrestler in the company. NXT can suspend Paul Ellering in a cage but they can't make TM61 into hot babyfaces. The tournament structure was fun but it also prevented them from really building heat on the faces.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

He's also not that charismatic, tbh. A fantastic in-ring performer, one of the best, but wooden on camera

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Ceasaro hasn't had the odds stacked against him so badly that fans take to him ala Ryder or Daniel Bryan yet, but if he loses to Sheamus in 18 seconds at Wrestlemania rest assured.
He doesn't have Ryder or Bryan face charisma, certainly not as an in-ring underdog.

He really truly does not know how to carry himself. His mannerisms are reminiscent of Baron Dax, who was once Marcus Louis.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They haven't taped new episodes yet but they have a name now - Heavy Machinery

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

AoP.... are good

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They also seem to work a relatively safe style despite how much they move and how green they are (their chain grip could admittedly use a little work). The appeal of hoss teams has tended to be about how stiff they work, all the way back to the Steiners, but I'd rather see more Rusevs than Straumans.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'd never seen Mickie James before Takeover but I'm a fan now

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They used a hardcore track that's not metalcore? That's not like WWE at all

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Some good rear end video promos on this episode
Honestly the sound mixing for the 2/3 Falls match vid was awful

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Didn't she already get a shot? Not that it would stop them from bringing her in if they had a mind to.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

NXT is on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Eric Young's goodness is proportional to his leatheriness

This means he's good

• Locked thread