Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Maybe they were trying to gauge buzz and internet reaction to a Chris Hero return before debuting him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Likewise I'm not sure what Asuka's alignment is supposed to be, but Corey's always praised her highly.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/819363416812843008

This is supposed to be serious but I can't stop laughing at Drake Younger chasing after Asuka like he's trying to catch a child having a tantrum. The part that gets me is every time she turns back while running and shouts "NO!" at Drake

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/819663178871214080

Someone's gonna get their loving head kicked in at Takeover if she's bring out the Zombified Nazi Space Clown

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Nikki Cross is currently the only semi-credible contender to Asuka, everyone else just doesn't have the aura or style to match up well against her. I'd even go as far as saying Ember Moon isn't a great Asuka opponent even though people are claiming it's a dream match.

Great Asuka opponents are mostly from Japan.

Meiko Satamura & Io Shirai are both all-around types (Shirai more aerial and Satamura more ground/striking based) that are probably Asuka's best matches

Hikaru Shida & Syuri are both shoot-fighter types with past history with Asuka and a good style match-up. Syuri is a great kickboxer and Shida is a bit bigger than Asuka.

Makoto & Kaori Hojo play great sympathetic babyfaces that could make a great title chase, much like Bayley but with a language barrier. Hojo has one of the best looking moves in pro wrestling today, and Makoto can take an unreal rear end whooping and gain a lot of sympathy

Most of the American wrestlers that would have matches up with her are retired or way past their prime right now. I don't know if WWE are interested in Candace LaRae but she's the absolute best unsigned NA talent that could give her a great match.

Asuka is a really big fish in a small pond in NXT right now with a Goldberg-esque aura to her and nobody credible to challenger her. I think the best way of dealing with her is by writing her out via story to give time to build credibility, or do a story type where she's in a three-way and the women band together against her because they know she can't be beaten on her own so the whole women's roster turns against her.

If they want to do some stalling to build up new talent, Gail Kim, Mickie James 2, or Sara Del Ray could be decent choices to stall her.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 13, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Will Samoa Joe mouth "I'm sorry. I love you" before putting him in a six minute rest hold?

For content: Asuka is probably bringing out the clown make-up for the 4-way. She's been posting vague pictures with her mask on for the last week or two and making allusions to her old gimmick

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 22, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

So are you going to fat shame Chris Hero every time someone mentions him too?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I only count six, maybe six and a half depending on how long takeover goes, how are you getting to nine?
Pre/Post shows probably

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

rovert posted:

An Asian woman is the best worker just like Gail Kim was the best worker there
Uhhh Gail Kim was Canadian being Asian had nothing to do with anything

And beyond those comparisons the only ones that hold ground are the ones saying it looks like an ROH/TNA tribute show. The roster is getting so bloated with indy talent now than none of them feel special, especially guys like Roddy or TM61 who are just vanilla white guys who are good at wrestling.

NXT also lost their head writer, so every single TV taping feels like filler between Takeover events, and even now some Takeover events are starting to feel like filler between bigger Takeover events.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

rovert posted:

Let's listen to Roderick Strong's NXT theme which doesn't sound like a TNA theme. Oh wait it does.
NXT themes have been bad knockoffs for a while which was also a WCW thing too. Carmella and Bayley both have knockoffs and neither were TNA superstars?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Tokamak posted:

The most important thing that separates NXT from TNA is that it is managed by a competent company.
Now THAT is a stretch

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

What Rovert is saying is that NXT has gotten lazy and uncompelling outside of PPVs which have dream matches and a bunch of matches that have no good build and have relied on the audience to make up the stories in their heads instead of showing character development and motivations. Would it have killed them in the months of lead up to Sanity to explain who they were instead of just playing the same promo for months on end? Or have Auska and Nakamura work more than Takeover and squash matches?

This is a troubling trend that needs to be righted, along with pushing out the near 40 year old talent for the young talent that they have in the PC. Hell they should take out of NJPW notebooks and start booking big multiman matches in the undercard or pick two of the more promising recruits and have them work like young lions over and over again until they get good enough to have a gimmick.
If that's what Rovert meant, then he's really bad at words because it looks like he's trying to connect some big conspiracy that Triple H is copying TNA

quote:

Same win/loss record. Similar suffocating presence on their Divsions given how strongly they are booked.
Gail Kim was pushed as being a major under-used WWE Castoff, like they did with most WWE Castoffs and they decided to rebuild their division specifically around her. Asuka was a world-class athlete who came into NXT right as everyone in the division who was established was leaving (Sasha, Bayley, Nia Jax with time, and Alexa Bliss) which left her with a brief feud with Bayley and a brief feud with Nia Jax then absolutely nobody because there wasn't anyone developed enough to be a threat to Asuka.

You're really, really reaching here just because they're both asian. Their circumstances for a winning streak are completely different. You'd be better off trying to compare Asuka to Matt Morgan.

The Senator Giroux posted:

What is Bayley's theme a knockoff of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOubzHCUt48

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 30, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Hey Rovert if you want to make an Asuka to TNA comparison, she's like Samoa Joe who was a huge name coming into a division with very little competition at their level

No Irish Need Imply posted:

roddys music does suck though thats spot on
It's a bad CFO$ version of Killswitch Engage which is funny because Killswitch Engage don't mind letting WWE use their music.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Wanting credit for someone who hasn't been on TV in 6 years appearing as a guest trainer for a week is a weird hill to die on

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

She would make the third female Samoan to join the WWE in the last ten years, right? Wasn't there a fourth that's in training too?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

She's Tongan though
Whoops

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

chris hero is not the best in the world anymore, he has in fact always been bad
:gas:

which is something Chris Hero would do because he's got the cardio of a god.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

So, is TJ Perkins irrelevant now? He only won the title in the first place because Ibushi and ZSJ didn't want to sign and I feel like the WWE really underestimated Gallagher and Kendrick

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If the WWE wanted to get into a bidding war for the best women's wrestler in the last 15 years, there's not much Rossi can do to stop them. STARDOM might have a lot of money, but they don't have the kind of money to compete if WWE really wanted to give her a top level contract. She's easily one of the top 20 wrestlers in the world right now, men or women.

She and Meiko are absolutely the two best female wrestlers in probably the last 15-20 years by miles. Shirai has a pretty flashy style, but she's very crisp in her offense. The only advantages that I'd say Asuka would have on her is better English and in-ring charisma, but Io is a much better wrestler. With Hojo coming in it's just weird to imagine the WWE with multiple Japanese female wrestlers that are all very unique in their styles and looks that are taken seriously.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Io Shirai is at the performance center

e: cant out scoop the scoopsman

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Asuka is a better worker than Hulk Hogan ever was but at this point she's the same kind of storyline poison and no one else in the division can look good until she's defeated.
The difference between Asuka and Hogan is that there were tons of people who could have easily taken the title off Hogan and done well in the company and in NXT there's nobody at Asuka's level

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Roque11 posted:

This Saturday will be Ember's big night. Time to go all the way with her as the center piece of NXT's women's division. She's the best wrestler and character in the division with probably the best finishing move in all of wrestling.
I agree with none of those things, but she is a great wrestler and has a good finisher. I don't see Asuka losing the title to Ember, but I can see Asuka vacating the title so they can continue to tout the undefeated streak on RAW (Only for it to be ended by Charolette at a PPV, the true undefeated streak)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I find it so weird that Itami can't find his place when the two most popular stars in the last decade (CM Punk and Daniel Bryan) stole KENTA's moveset almost verbatim. Honestly I don't know what Itami has left, he's been derailed so long and arguably at the twilight of his career before he was signed to NXT already, I think the best thing for his career would be to just get released and do one more run in NJPW before he retires. He's not even that old but he seems so unlucky and accident prone that he won't have a very high ceiling in the WWE.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

You can't think of any skill(s) that Daniel Bryan and CM Punk might have displayed that made them successes in WWE that Itami hasn't? None at all?
They both had natural charisma which KENTA had as well in NOAH but neither Punk nor DB had to overcome a language barrier either. Nakamura and Asuka absolute ooze charisma and aren't that bad at english either, KENTA can speak english but I don't know how well he could transition that into being a top star in the WWE.

I mean, KENTA/Marufuji were probably the best tag-team of the 00's without a doubt, and KENTA might have been one of the best singles wrestlers from Japan under 30 but he missed the NJPW renaissance and he's missing the NXT/WWE renaissance too so V:v:V

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

He should do what Chris Hero and Sammi Callahan did and just duck out, go on and put out the best matches in the indies, and maybe come back when he's a more exciting commodity again rather than endlessly spinning his wheels in NXT

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm more excited about watching Callihan or Pentagon vs KENTA than I am Hideo Itami vs almost anyone in NXT. KENTA is a great wrestler but I don't know what makes him stand out versus Nakamura or Tozawa who are both great wrestlers too but OOZE charisma. I couldn't even tell you what Itami's gimmick or character are past "My style is kick"

If you compare him to the rumored women coming in (Shirai & Hojo) he stands out even less than those two who both have their own charisma and characters (Shirai as the Ace/Best in the World type and Hojo as the charismatic/sympathetic babyface with an amazing elbow). The most important thing if you're a non-native english speaker in the WWE is being able to connect with the crowd, and he doesn't even have the benefit that Khali did (Being really tall) so unless they just call all-in and pair him up with someone like Heyman as a mouthpiece or put him in a stable where he can just kick people really hard and act tough/serious almost like a Benoit or Malenko I'm not sure where he goes from here except the rotating cast of 205 Live

Asuka was in a similar position; she was a fairly serious kick/shoot fighter type that just kicked people REALLY hard and liked to compete against men, but in the two years or so before signing she started working a lot more on character and using the clown/nazi thing for intimidation against opponents and started being a little less serious with her friends Makoto, Mio Shirai, Shida, etc. and something just clicked when she made it to NXT and started doing some great character work while working on her English.

I guess at best I really could see him in a Benoit/Shibata "No gimmicks needed" character who just arrogantly antagonizes his opponents while they're down but I can see that wearing down fast on the RAW roster where they're always desperate to put people in really bad storylines.

The benefit to going back to Japan/Indies of course would be building up hype & momentum again where he's not trying to take a WWE style and work TV matches and can just put on the match quality he was in NOAH before being signed against much better talent in the US Indies or NJPW.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Benne posted:

NXT's always had lovely buttrock themes for their Takeovers. I wonder if it's just a running gag at this point.
Thanks to Asuka for bringing us BABYMETAL

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

astrollinthepork posted:

Meltz said she's past it in a couple issues ago.
The legit one, maybe but Asuka's about to break the kayface streak that would have matches randomly shoot up all the time

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Asuka immediately going from the only good female in NXT to fourth or fifth best after this tournament starts

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

DM Punk posted:

I am hoping for Beth Phoenix or Molly Holly for color commentator.
One hour past the opening match Beth Phoenix is still giving her HoF speech from April

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

According to Meltz, Hojo is being told to come up with a new finisher because "The elbow drop is Bayley's move"

Yeah, I'm sure Hojo's a good enough wrestler to make something else but it's so silly to bring over a wrestler who has one of the best looking finishers in the world and tell them not to use it because another wrestler does a sub-par version on the main roster. It's kind of like when KENTA came over and couldn't use almost any of his moves because CM Punk and Daniel Bryan had hijacked almost his entire repertoire (CM Punk used the GTS & striking combo & Daniel Bryan used the knee strike and "Yes! kicks" and currently Finn is using the Double Stomps)

e: Shirai would have to stop using the moonsault too because Charolette does but that's less of a problem for her

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 19, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

What's silly is that there's like 6 people doing spears and it's not even an issue

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The funniest thing about everything using spears exploding a couple years ago was that out of the whole roster, Kaitlyn had the best at one time (Before Rhyno and Goldberg came back in)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Btw doesn't Hojo have a really good Sharpshooter as finisher?
They're deffo not gonna let her use that as long as Nattie is around

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Charles Gnarwin posted:

There's still time this element of dumb luck in all of Roode's wins (Nakamura's knee, the GTS knocking his lifeless body out of the ring) that leaves me feeling like he's really good but absolutely wouldn't win without those small turns of fortune. It's perfect for a strong heel champion because he comes across as both deserving of the championship but also infuriatingly still champ.
One of my favorite things about Madison Rayne in TNA as champ is that every time she would take a finisher she would just immediately roll out of the ring, which doesn't really devalue the finisher, and it makes her looks extra smart without making her opponents weak. Then she would capitalize on her breather from the outside and usually win from a flash or rollup finish.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

dont even fink about it posted:

"It's time to do a commercial break, so do a superkick"
lmao I just remembered when WWE were so bitter that the Young Bucks wouldn't sign contracts that they were giving the Uso Brothers the Superkick and they were having "Superkick Parties!" on TV. Then tried to sue the Young Bucks for using the Too Sweet sign.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

VJeff posted:

Ahahahahahah, HHH just can't get that last half-to-a-quarter snowflake from Dave, no matter how hard he tries.
Don't worry, Meltz's waifus Hojo and Shirai will be there soon

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

All I ask is they tease Gunner and Murphy at least once

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm sure he watched enough to properly evaluate that Shirai and Meiko are the best females in the world and probably both top 15 active wrestlers right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I think Stardom will PROBABLY be okay, even with Hojo/Shirai leaving. Hojo, Kris Wolf, and ACT all popped up out of nowhere and got over in about a year once they were given a decent spotlight and they've still got so much young talent that they can shape up.

I can't help but imagine a brighter time line where Riho went to Stardom instead of Thailand to do apartment wrestling though. She's an 11 year vet at 19 but none of that matters when you're wrestling on a crash pad in front of 12 people against bad wrestlers.

That being said I feel like Hojo's ceiling will probably be like Sammi Zayn or Bayley and made to look irrelevant through multiple losses because she gets over as a babyface and isn't Vince's idea of "hot". Shirai will probably go way over Asuka in terms of personality and skill though and even if it adds another 8 months to Asuka's reign as champion I want to see Shirai as the one to take it off her.

• Locked thread