Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Reading some actual stats on weight loss success is really depressing. It seems once you really balloon up it's incredibly hard to lose the weight and keep it off. It's like any addiction where it can be extremely hard not to relapse. Some drugs are easier to kick and you can actually "beat" the addiction, but for food/overeating it's always going to be there. And unlike an alcoholic that knows he can't drink in moderation so doesn't at all, fats can't just abstain from food because they know they can't control their portions or snacking and have fridges and cupboards full of food tempting them every moment.

As someone whose weight has been yoyoing for about 5 years, I think the biggest issue is that people focus on losing weight rather than living more healthily. They go on crazy exercise binges and eat only 1200kcal a day and it works great, only it's totally unsustainable, and they're secretly miserable, and looking forwards to the day when they reach whatever magic number they're aiming for and can start living normally again. Then of course they reach that number, breath a huge sigh of relief, and begin a slow slide back towards obesity.

Dieting doesn't work because, by it's nature, it's a temporary measure you do to lose weight. You need to say "this is my life from now on", and stick to it, which means setting sensible goals for kcal intake and exercise, which you can actually live with long term. You'll lose weight much more slowly, but hopefully you can still live a happy enough life that you don't shoot straight for mcdonalds as soon as your BMI hits 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

My trick for quitting constant snacking was gum. If I ever felt like snacking on something, especially late at night, I'd just start chewing on gum instead.

I replaced all my snacks with fresh fruit which helped a lot. At one point I was eating like 7 apples a day though, so I had to cut down on that too.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

I've lost ten pounds in the last three months by using a calorie calculator. At first it wasnt so much to stick to strictly as it was to see how many calories I was actually taking in and attempt portion control. After a bit I started avoiding high calorie foods that I knew didnt really satisfy me and my concept of what makes a portion for various foods is getting much better.

Pretty much this. You don't necessarly need to eat less, you need to eat smarter. Once you start to calculate where the calories you eat come from, you can start replacing the high calorie stuff with lower calorie alternatives. Like, we used to eat Alfredo sauce on pasta once per week, 1 portion was 100ml heavy cream (240kcal), 25g parmesan (100kcal) and 20g butter (140kcal), which is like 500kcal on top of the 450kcal in the pasta itself. A marinara sauce on the other hand is just tomatoes and things, and contains less than 100kcal per portion.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

e: eh gently caress it no point continuing a stupid derail

• Locked thread