Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

PT6A posted:

Heroin is a "safer drug"? What kind of deadly-rear end poo poo is going around over there? Heroin and other opiates are killing more people here than any other drug by far.

Heroin and cocaine are disproportionately more dangerous to people who cannot keep up a safe and consistent supply while also eating well and still taking personal medical care. Remove malnutrition-related illnesses and super-TB from the equation and heroin comes out a safer drug than cigarettes and alcohol.

In areas where the poor do not use heroin and cocaine and make it look dirty when they die of horrific treatment resistant plague diseases it doesn't carry a social stigma. This view also extends into a historical perspective, eg. the British popularisation of Opium right up until banning it because a few chinese people and blues musicians arrived with addictions.

When you remove a proper diet, access to good medical care, and a consistent supply, and the drug is crystal meth, it becomes easy to draw a popular distinction between bankers saving your finances and having a bit of charlie and crazed-looking poor people raiding houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

To take a slight tangent, what's up with the weird phillipino exceptionalism on drug use? Of all places in the world, America certainly knows what a massive meth problem looks like. Why do people think they can say poo poo like "shabu makes you rape children" and expect this to be believable? Is it all massive projection of cognitive dissonance? I can think of several recreational drugs worse than Meth and, while it certainly does nothing for your looks, this bizarre idea it turns you into a subhuman is alarming. Duterte's stuff about it shrinking your brain being repeated is also an incredible piece of stupidity. If a controlled and medically used substance can shrink your brain, does absolutely no Duterte supporter then make the leap that another drug can reverse that?

I really don't get this consistent theme of "you don't understand, our drug problems are different". They clearly aren't, unless someone is suggesting that there's something magic in Phillipino blood that, when combined with an ADHD medication, makes you rape children. Which would probably have been encountered by now. Where is it coming from? constant message discipline from the Pres alone?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

"Get Drugged, Get hosed" brings pain to my mind.

I'm noticing a conspicuous lack of rhymes about opiates in that image, unless "pills" count as such.

drug crises are pretty much a media fabrication about a problem that's hilariously easy to solve if you care about results more than elections. As such they reflect local panics about whatever has gained media traction. Meth is the big bad in SE Asia. In the UK it's Ecstacy, then legal highs

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Said "stern lecture" included a blunt warning that doing this again would get them executed, unless I misunderstood the "firing squad" bit.

I don't speak Filipino but to me it kinda reads as "If you make trouble for the pres again you won't be found" rather than "if you continue murdering the people we tell you" etcetera.