Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

Duterte’s methods may be bloodier than those typically employed by American prohibitionists, but his logic is similar, casting peaceful transactions—the exchange of money for psychoactive substances—as acts of aggression that pose an existential threat to the nation. This is war, after all, so there is no room for legal niceties.

quote:

As far as William J. Bennett is concerned, that’s a shame. Back in 1989, when he was running the Office of National Drug Control Policy under Clinton’s predecessor, Bennett said “there’s no moral problem” with beheading drug dealers—the preferred method in Saudi Arabia. Although beheading might be legally problematic, he said on Larry King Live, it would be “morally proportional to the nature of the offense.” And Bennett ought to know, since he has a Ph.D. in philosophy. “I used to teach ethics,” he told Larry King. “Trust me.” The following year, Los Angeles Police Chief Daryl Gates took Bennett’s logic a step further, telling a Senate committee that casual drug users “ought to be taken out and shot” as traitors in the war on drugs.

Although Rodrigo Duterte is sometimes compared to Donald Trump, he could be taking his cues from Bennett, Gates, and other American drug warriors who heartily endorsed lethal responses to nonviolent actions. Duterte’s portrayal of meth addicts as subhuman and unworthy of life also has parallels in American propaganda. His main distinction is that he follows through on the murderous implications of his mindless anti-drug rhetoric—something voters apparently admire. The New York Times NYT -0.31% reports that “Mr. Duterte’s crackdown has been hugely popular.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2016/08/25/rodrigo-dutertes-murderous-war-on-drugs-follows-american-logic/#4ce13fb442b0

I simply cannot grasp the logic of prohibitionists. Sell drugs to someone who ends up abusing that drug and they want the 'dealer' to go to jail or face corporal punishment. Sell a hot rod to a kid who ends up abusing his horsepower and wraps himself around a tree and 'the drat rev head got what was coming to him!'

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I'd love to hear Duterte explain what the difference between a drug and a non-drug is because most prohibitionists are scientifically illiterate.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 3, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Wizchine posted:

if for some reason it is successful

If immutable market forces can be suspended by Presidential decree then anything is possible.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Chomskyan posted:

So did Duterte call Obama a son of a whore or not? Annoying people (Duterte supporters) on Facebook are claiming it wasn't directed at Obama or something

Well it's kinda caught on video and he has apologized for doing so...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/06/son-of-a-whore-was-not-meant-to-be-personal-duterte-tells-obama

I work on a dementia ward and I'm starting to think this guy has some frontal lobe disorder, like as in he actually can't help but say what he thinks no matter how offensive.

That would also explain his tendency to make sexual comments at inappropriate times or situations like: http://www.smh.com.au/world/philippines-rodrigo-duterte-condemned-for-comments-on-rape-of-australian-missionary-20160417-go8j7b.html

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 6, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's cheap armchair psychology on the level of calling Trump a narcissist, but my dad also has taken to believing Duterte might have frontal lobe disinhibition.

It's not just that, look at the way he stands at the lectern in the video and his strange body posturing, tics etc. Classic signs of frontal lobe problems.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

This was published a few years back and seems to be eerily prescient and applicable to the state of affairs in the Philippines:

quote:

But while governments all use the idiom of human rights, they use it to make radically different arguments about how countries should behave. China cites “the right to development” to explain why the Chinese government gives priority to economic growth over political liberalisation. Many countries cite the “right to security,” a catch-all idea that protection from crime justifies harsh enforcement methods. Vladimir Putin cited the rights of ethnic minorities in Ukraine in order to justify his military intervention there, just as the United States cited Saddam Hussein’s suppression of human rights in order to build support for the Iraq war. Certain Islamic countries cite the right to religious freedom in order to explain why women must be subordinated, arguing that women must play the role set out for them in Islamic law. The right of “self‑determination” can be invoked to convert foreign pressure against a human-rights violating country into a violation of that country’s right to determine its destiny. The language of rights, untethered to specific legal interpretations, is too spongy to prevent governments from committing abuses and can easily be used to clothe illiberal agendas in words soothing to the western ear.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2014/dec/04/-sp-case-against-human-rights

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Do the news media not realise that Duterte has already admitted to murdering people?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Ersatz posted:

is being accused of having personally killed people in the past?

This goes beyond accusations, he has admitted to personally murdering people "about 3" on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tebans1dOYo

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

He is just taking things to the logical endpoint. Has been predicted for decades:

quote:

Independent researcher Miller continues the argument he began in The Case for Legalizing Drugs (LJ 4/15/91). Drawing on his latest book, Nazi Justiz (Praeger, 1995), he makes an extended analogy between Germany repressing the Jews and America repressing drug users. In chapters on identification, ostracism, confiscation, concentration, and annihilation, he shows that democracy, privacy, and family life can be lost in our society just as they were when these policies were applied to the Jews. Because of "bureaucratic thrust," the criminalization aimed at one group consumes the entire society. In contrast, Miller thinks drug use is normal and should be regarded as such; he marshals convincing evidence that it can be mature and responsible. If drugs are abused, he does not think criminalization or medical force are solutions, any more than they would be solutions to unemployment. Although many will find Miller's case overstated, it is thoughtful and thought-provoking
https://www.amazon.com/Drug-Warriors-Their-Prey-Police/dp/0275950425

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

blackguy32 posted:

I thought it was just drug dealers he was killing but apparently he means to kill basically everyone using drugs.

Only the ones they call 'illegal drugs'.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Ytlaya posted:

No you see stimulants are somehow inherently more sinful than opiates.

It's more a case fentanyl not havng any associated stigma. The average drug warrior's knowledge is based exclusively on stereotypes and whatever they've seen at the movies. The average drug warrior would have absolutely no knowledge of how substances interact with the CNS. Heroin is heroin. It's evil. I know I've seen it. Fentanyl is... I don't know, what do you mean it's an opioid just like heroin!? Yes, but it isn't heroin and my doctor gave it to me so how can it be evil like heroin? Heroin is what junkies use and I ain't one of them. Look at me do I look like I'm taking heroin to you? *throws me from the helicopter*

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 31, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

chird posted:

Every time he does something more damaging I think "oh well, that must be the tipping point", but no-one actually does anything

What are you expecting people to do about their murderous leader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Argue posted:

HEY GUYS WHO'S EXCITED TO HEAR WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY??

https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/929217376020709376

Oh cool the Australian Prime Minister too.