Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Cool, human garbage heap Teddy "I want to cut off your dick and rape your mother with it" Locsin must be there to draw attention away from Duterte's potty mouth by saying even more insane things. I remember him talking poo poo about the RH bill and I see one of those quotes that got me angry made the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

And probably his most famous tweet:

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/483528644828999680

"I am paying P3,900 for 0.57 mbps. Hey, [Philippine Long-Distance Telecommunications] gently caress you all, motherfuckers."

unironically agreeing with this

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Jesus Christ. gently caress. And that's Richard "let's suspend the writ of habeas corpus" Gordon. gently caress.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

1stGear posted:

Do you guys have ways you could get out of the country? Not joking.

I'm doing remote work for a company in the Bay Area; I'm hoping they'll extend me a full-time job by the end of the year when my contract ends. Then I just need to work on getting an H1B. We're not enemies of the state or anything so I don't think we'd be flat out barred from going abroad even if martial law were to happen. I just don't want to have to stress over this anymore.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

"I will tell them, ‘gently caress you.’"
Facebook: "Oh, he's not saying gently caress you, he's only _threatening_ to say gently caress you."
"I repeat it, ‘gently caress you,’"
Facebook: "Well come on you gotta look at the context here."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

CronoGamer posted:

I made the mistake of arguing that just because Duterte is allowing this poo poo to go down doesn't mean people are calling for an ouster, and you can criticize him without calling for a coup. Now he's asking me why I am against human rights. I can't loving handle these people, how do you respond when someone doesn't have a grasp of logic or rhetoric?

Congratulations on finishing our introductory course on "What Half of a Filipino's Facebook Feed Looks Like" :unsmigghh:

Edit: post it to the crazy emails thread

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I just hope he doesn't make his move before early next year, when I'm hoping to leave. What was it like, anyway, back in the Marcos era, for a not-politically-active citizen to make a permanent move to another country?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That answer is a lot more gripping than I expected. Mind if I share that? With your SA membership cropped out, of course.

Edit: actually D&D is publicly viewable and would probably be indexed by Google if someone were to look for it

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I've stopped posting stuff on Facebook myself because it's honestly a losing battle. It's hosed up that things are so bad that we even have this notion of "outrage fatigue"; literally every day there's something new that I _should_ be posting about but no longer bother to because it's just futile. Plus, when the administration announces something that might actually be good for once, the Duterte supporters will post that all over and be smug like "SEE???" and I'm just uadfhasdfaf dfgds gdsf

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

the very loving moment you leave the plane, a horde of savage pinoys will descend upon you and rip you to shreds and bathe in your blood while they worship their corpse god figure christ

Nah this only happens if you insult the Philippines and said remarks go viral

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I was really excited to go see some American malls while I was in the US and was shocked at how pathetically small they were. I did go to one mall that was fairly decently-sized but it was basically dead, with maybe 20 people left in the entire mall, like it was a zombie apocalypse.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

He'd better put his money where his mouth is and start a Syrian refugee program.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Also I just woke up from a dream that I had moved to a remote Japanese village but Duterte hunted me down with drones

Y-Hat posted:

C'mon, CIA, set up a coup in the Philippines. You know, for old times' sake. You haven't lost that old Cold War know-how, have ya?

Well, he certainly seems to think that the CIA wants to kill him.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Deposing a president is... not unheard of. We did it to Erap Estrada in 2001. It was largely a recreation of the EDSA protest of 1986, except... in retrospect, I see now that this was inappropriate (and probably artificially induced by his opponents) as the situation at the time was nowhere near the same as that of Marcos. I've since come to regret my participation in that event (I was in high school, okay).

I don't know that I'd like another EDSA. Duterte's not been conclusively proven to be involved in EJKs and I'm wary of having yet another rally to depose someone who hasn't explicitly become a dictator--EDSA 2 was bad enough at painting us as a country that has mistaken mob rule for democracy. I realize that this conflicts with my interest in Duterte not being president but this isn't really a simple issue.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

And only when it suits them, of course. I think gradenko may have embedded this tweet earlier but Teddy Locsin was also against the reproductive health bill, on the grounds that reproductive health was a Nazi idea.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/09/30/16/duterte-human-rights-is-anti-thesis-of-government posted:

MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday told cops to ignore criticisms from human rights groups, saying the concept of human rights is the “anti-thesis of government.”
Local and international human rights groups have been alarmed by what they believe is Duterte’s blatant disregard for human rights, as the death toll in his administration's war on drugs continues to rise by the day.
But Duterte remains unfazed by the criticisms.
“Huwag kayong makinig dyan sa [Don’t listen to] human rights (groups), because human rights is always the anti-thesis of government,” Duterte told an audience of mostly policewomen.

Not a day goes by

And this one, from relatively famous columnist Jessica Zafra, is just sad. She doesn't name him, but here, she is speaking of her mentor, Teddy "I am a student of Naziism" Locsin.

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/132926/jessica-zafra--obituary-for-the-formerly-brilliant posted:

For a long time I have felt like a child whose beloved parent has dementia. I have watched as the sharp, shining intellect I had admired and respected was corrupted, dulled, and reduced to smearing excrement on the walls.

This person I looked up to as a mentor, who introduced me to great works of literature and humanist thought, who supported my own attempts at writing and taught me that language is a weapon, who helped me through my constant ineptitude about money, who even shared my love of cats, is gone. The surrogate parent who offered me advice and comfort when my own mother died, is no longer with us.

I have always known of the racism, the elitism and attraction to fascism. I explained this to myself as examples of his independent thinking and charming political incorrectness. He had always flown the flag for free speech, and believing in free speech means defending the right of other people to say things you disagree with, even if they make you sick.

Over the years my explanations to myself have become more convoluted and illogical, but I wanted to believe that there was a point to all that, some end game too complex and brilliant for my mediocre brain. Loyalty and gratitude had blinded me from speaking. I thought that if I shut up, surely this vicious insanity would end, and once again we would be sitting down to a meal at which he would bring his own rice, steaming in its cooker, declare his love of HBO's Rome and Ciaran Hinds' portrayal of Julius Caesar, and bemoan, hilariously, the demise of his hair follicles. I would ask him for the thousandth time why he has never published his own book when far inferior writers publish regularly.

Those days are gone. We are never going to do that joint lecture on Russian novels. But I will get around to finishing The Death of Virgil by the Viennese Jew Hermann Broch, a book he gave me, in which the dying writer ruminates on the malevolence of the society he had lionized.

He has one last thing to teach me: that loyalty has its limits. Mine ends when literature and history are twisted to justify the unjustifiable.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 1, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I don't envy the job of our envoy to the Philippine embassy in Germany. If this spun any more I'd know for sure I was in a dream:

Don't worry guys, he didn't say he WOULD kill 3 million people, he just said he was WILLING to kill 3 million people. Totally different.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm about to head to bed so I can't post anything new but if you want to learn more about the RH bill, you can filter down to my posts in the Southeast Asia thread to see some of my commentary as it was happening.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm really curious about the reproductive health bill.

Okay I'm awake now; in case you couldn't be arsed to find it, here's all the stuff I posted about the reproductive health bill. It starts a few posts down and goes on for quite a while.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Here's Duterte's "apology, which I'll translate. Enjoy!

quote:

I apologize profoundly and deeply to the Jewish [mumbling]. It was never my intention but the problem was I was criticized using Hitler comparing to me. But I was very emphatic [I said] I would kill 3 million addicts. It had nothing to do with the... but perchance, if there was something really... a bad taste in the mouth to say it. But this is only to the Jewish community. [Not these *censored* in the EU or these human rights people]. [mumbling] [I'll kick you]. [My statement was, well these people were saying, "this Duterte guy is a killer, he's Hitler." So I said fine, I'm Duterte, I'm a killer. The Jewish community all over the world reacted.] I would like to make it clear here and now that there was never an intention on my part to derogate the memory of the 6 million Jews murdered by the Germans. [The reference they keep using is that I'm Hitler, who killed so many. But the number of drug pushers, I'm saying to you, is 3 million. And that's all I wanted to say. Fine, then I'm Hitler, but I'll only kill these...] But anyhow, it's not really actually that I said something wrong, but rather that they do not want you to tinker with the memory.

Yep, so he has managed to somehow create a quantum state where he both denies the Hitler analogy and doubles down on it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I feel like I could use a lecture on Philippine society, culture, media and so on.

Philippine society, culture, and media are all cool and good and magnificant and amazing and if anyone says otherwise we will shoot them or get them literally banned from the country; is there anything else you wanted to know specifically?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Did it leak?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Don't forget:

"My father was one of the two who stood by Marcos in his darkest hours. Everybody was shifting to the Liberal (Party)." I'm pretty sure "darkest hours" here refers to the EDSA revolution.

"You'd notice that extrajudicial killing was never an issue against me, not even during the debates." Completely untrue.

"Incessant use of shabu [meth] will shrink the brain, thus rehabilitation is not a viable option." Oh dear.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is it childish to call him a dictator when one of the things he said in his campaign was literally "I am a dictator? Yes it is true. If you don’t like it then don’t vote for me," and post-campaign, "I will be a dictator against all bad guys, evil, I will do it even at the cost of my position or my life. I won’t stop. That’s a solemn commitment"?

That guy fantasizing about assassinating him is immature but I think it's unfair to say that we have a problem with democracy just because we have many, MANY problems with Duterte; do you think that we should never say anything negative about someone just because they were democratically elected?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Not that I want it to come to this but we removed the last guy who did that with what was essentially a protest rally. Of course that rally took like 20 years to form, after years of letting him commit crimes against humanity. Plus in the last decade and a half Filipinos suddenly started getting it into their heads that this was the quick and easy shortcut to deposing any leader they didn't like, so maybe we've cheapened the act a bit.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Good news, everyone! Duterte isn't Hitler after all! Now, he's Jesus!

quote:

Despite President Rodrigo Duterte's propensity for blurting out invectives in his speeches, Presidential Communications Office head Secretary Martin Andanar saw it fit to compare the outspoken Chief Executive to the Lord himself.

In his first opinion column for the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Andanar compared his first meeting with Duterte in Davao City to when Jesus met the fishermen who would be his apostles at Galilee.

During the meeting at the DPWH facility in Panacan—fondly called Panacanang—Andanar said did not expect that he would be asked to lead the Presidential Communications Office (PCO).

“With characteristic decisiveness, the President-elect instructed me to put back together the presidential communications apparatus fragmented by the outgoing administration. He told me to choose my people and to head the unified apparatus,” Andanar said in his piece.

“I was awed by that investment of faith in my abilities. This must have been how those fishermen at Galilee felt when Jesus walked over and told them to follow him, to be fishers of men. Like the apostles, I obeyed,” he added.

Andanar was apparently referring to Matthew 4:18-19 of the Bible, which detailed how Jesus met fishermen Simon--also called Peter--and his brother Andrew and asked them to follow him. They were Jesus' first disciples.

He said that that it was not the time to walk away from duty and pointed out that his current post had been both a source of pride and a personal nightmare.

"Before that life-changing meeting, I continued to imagine myself a volunteer, giving advice here and there, doing some useful things for the President we after all worked to get elected to the post. I did not expect to be assigned the daunting role I ended up with," Andanar said.

"Maybe I should have. That is how President Duterte operates. He assigns people to do things they never imagined themselves capable of doing beforehand. He invests so much trust in the people he works with, expecting them to exceed expectation. That is at once a source of pride and a personal nightmare," he added.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

One day. I'll settle for ONE DAY going by where he doesn't say a thing.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/584078/news/nation/duterte-dares-us-eu-un-go-ahead-withdraw-your-aid-to-phl

quote:

President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday lashed out anew at international bodies amid criticism of the rising death toll in his administration's crime war.

In yet another rant directed at the United States, the European Union, and the United Nations during his speech in Butuan City, Duterte dared the groups to withdraw their aid to the Philippines.

Duterte said that the international community would never understand the depth of the drug problem in the Philippines.

"I do not expect human rights, I do not expect Obama, I do not expect the EU to understand me. Do not understand me. And if you think it's high time for you to withdraw assistance, go ahead. We will not beg for it," Duterte said, partly in response to Vice President Leni Robredo's earlier statement saying his rhetoric may affect foreign aid for anti-poverty programs of the government.

“[What do you think of us?] How do you look at us? Mendicants? [That we'll just blindly obey?]?” he added. “We will survive. We will survive as a nation.”

He also said Filipinos should not worry about foreign groups withdrawing aid, noting that if it happens: "[Even if we suffer], we will survive. And I'll be the first one to go hungry and the first the one to die. [Don't worry]. We'll never never compromise our dignity as a Filipino."

The President earlier in his speech asserted that the government has been fighting itself amid the drug war because thousands of government workers including Senator Leila de Lima, barangay captains, and police officers had drug links.

"You’ll never understand the pain that we are suffering for my countrymen. Go away, bring your money to somewhere else. We will survive as a nation. [But let's see]. There is always a day for reckoning. [It is not always your time]," Duterte said.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I wish Trillanes wasn't the most vocal opposition to Duterte, he's pretty terrible too. In the past, he'd staged a very half hearted attempt at a coup. This somehow made him popular enough to get elected to Congress, and some time after that, he did a walk out followed by yet another half hearted coup. So there's actually precedent for Filipinos electing visibly bad people.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

loving Pravda said Hitler was cool and good up until the war

Not new news, but did we already mention that we're getting our own Pravda? (title translates to: "From the masses, for the masses") I like to call it "Mula sa masa, Pravda sa masa" but the people who hear it either don't understand Tagalog or don't understand the reference.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I don't know that we're unique in this but Filipinos LOVE shortening names. Duterte? Du30. Constitutional Convention? Con-con. Constitutional Assembly? Con-rear end. Charter Change? Cha-cha. Hello? 30WwzZ.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm amazed Duterte didn't try make himself a lovely action movie star. He's totally the type to do it

like Weng Weng in a Turkish John Wick

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Classic Duterte, trying to ease tensions with the US while at the same time doubling down on his antagonism of the US:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/10/11/1632627/duterte-keep-us-ties-asks-if-military-alliances-needed-all posted:

“I do not mean to cancel or abrogate the military alliances but let me ask you: Do you really think we need it? If there is a war? If we engage in skirmishes, do you think we really need America?” Duterte said after the oath-taking of new appointees in Malacañang.

“Do we need China and Russia -- for that matter, do we need somebody? If they fight, if they launch ICBMs (intercontinental ballistic missiles) or Poseidon (either a type of US military aircraft or a discontinued US ballistic missile), there will be no more American aid to talk of. There will no more be a country strong enough to rule,” he added.

“When that time comes, we won’t need anything but a priest. If you want, you can recite the mi ultimo adios (National hero Dr. Jose Rizal's 'My Last Farewell').”

Duterte said US should watch its “arrogance” as Russian President Vladimir Putin gets what he wants.

“Let’s not make any mistake. If he wants something, he will really get it. He wanted Crimea and he simply went there to occupy it. America was not able to do anything,” the president said.

In March 2014, the Crimean government declared its independence from Ukraine. Crimea later voted in a referendum to join the Russian Federation. Russia has since annexed the former Ukranian territory.

“So let us go for alliances that would contribute to health, to education, if there’s a world out there waiting for our children. Otherwise, we need to protect them,” he added.

Officials previously claimed that Duterte does not intend to antagonize the US but was merely emphasizing the need for the Philippines to pursue a more independent foreign policy.

Duterte continued with his anti-US rhetoric Tuesday, criticizing the superpower for allegedly imposing its will on the Philippines.

“America, I’m serving notice to you. I cannot tolerate your style wherein you just order us around if they want to,” he said.

Duterte lashed out at the US anew for the deaths of African Americans at the hands of police.

“Tell us why is there now a great divide between the blacks and the (whites). That’s your issue but nobody can question that. Nobody has ever heard (anyone) demanding (an) investigation by the Human Rights (Council) of the United Nations,” he said.

And here's him addressing the time he called the US ambassador gay:

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/10/11/16/duterte-on-gay-us-envoy-totoo-naman posted:

(This Goldberg, for the second time, it's true. What's wrong if you are gay? What I said is true and had started the ruckus. He started it because he rode onto a statement of mine that was a narration of a true event.)

For reference, the quote where he called the ambassador gay was:

quote:

(Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana and I talked to U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry. He was okay. I had a rift with his ambassador, his gay ambassador. He meddled during the elections, giving statements. You're not supposed to do that.)

Argue fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 12, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

lol at duterte's fake news site http://dw-tv3.com/about/ "we specialise in just breaking news and spreading rumours"

Interesting. It has the same domain registrar as pro-Duterte "news" sites http://thet1mes.com/ and http://bbc-channel.com/ and registered through the same proxy organization. However, they do not share whois information with http://globalford.org which is another pro-Duterte site.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

http://www.rappler.com/nation/149124-philippines-duterte-united-nations-us-eu-questions-humiliation?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=referral

quote:

'I will play with you. I am very sure they cannot be brighter than me,' says President Rodrigo Duterte, confident he can outsmart foreign officials if they probe drug killings

MANILA, Philippines – If officials from the United Nations, United States, and European Union accept President Rodrigo Duterte's invitation to investigate drug killings in the Philippines, they should be ready to answer his humiliating questions.

He gave this warning during a speech at a business convention on Thursday, October 13.

"I've been a trial lawyer for many years, paikutin talaga kita (I will make you go round and round) in public. I will ask 5 questions that will humiliate you," he said with glee. (READ: The 100-day word war: How Duterte handles criticism)

"And I will ask you 10 questions for you to agree with me," Duterte added.

He said the open forum during which he would subject foreign officials to his grilling would be "entertainment."

"Bantayan 'nyo 'yan (You wait for it), you watch it all. Maganda 'yan (It will be good). It will give you an entertainment," said the President.

Duterte seemed confident he can outsmart the foreign officials or prove them wrong.

"I will play with you. I am very sure they cannot be brighter than me," he said.

He then cautioned them against underestimating the Philippines.

"Akala kasi ng mga buang na 'yan (Those fools think) we're a small nation when maybe God gave you the money, but we have the brains," he said.

Duterte had previously verbally invited US President Barack Obama and officials from the UN and EU to come to the Philippines to investigate extrajudicial killings linked to his drug war.

In his Thursday speech, he included Secretary of State John Kerry, and said he has already written letters of invitation.

"That prompted me to write letters. I invited President Obama, the Secretary of State, the EU, the United Nations, the Human Rights Commission. Come here, investigate me," he said.

So far, a letter to UN rapporteur on summary executions Agnes Callamard has been released by Malacañang. Callamard, however, said she has yet to receive it.

Upon hearing about the release of the letter, Callamard told Rappler she welcomes the invitation but seeks "freedom of inquiry" and "non-retaliation" from the Philippine government.

In the invitation, the Palace said Duterte's right to "due process" means he should be allowed to pose questions to Callamard. It told Callamard she would be asked to swear under oath before responding to ensure she tells "nothing but the truth."

dunning-kruger at work

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

We have never been at war with Eastasia

quote:

BEIJING—Visiting Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte had praise for China on Wednesday, setting aside a maritime dispute as the combative leader reconfigures his country's diplomatic alliances.

The Asian giant was "good", he said.

"It has never invaded a piece of my country all these generations," Duterte added in an apparent comparison to the Philippines' former colonial ruler the United States.

"During the Cold War, China was portrayed as the bad guy," he added. "And all of these years, what we have read in our books in school were all propaganda produced by the West."

Duterte is in China for a four-day trip that is expected to confirm his tilt away from Washington and towards Beijing's sphere of influence.

Foreign policy under Duterte has dramatically shifted from that pursued under predecessor Benigno Aquino, who took Beijing to an international tribunal over its extensive territorial claims in the South China Sea and won a resounding victory.

The move infuriated Beijing.

But Duterte, who took office in June shortly before the tribunal ruling, has made a point of not flaunting the outcome, even though China seized Scarborough Shoal—a fishing ground within the Philippines' exclusive economic zone—in 2012.

The judgment, Duterte said, was "a piece of paper with four corners".

"The arbitral award gives us the right. China has the historical right. And they're insisting. In this situation, do we argue, or do we just talk? I would say, let us put it (off) to some other day," Duterte said.

As Duterte has cozied up to Beijing, he has repeatedly denounced the United States and President Barack Obama for criticizing his deadly war on crime.

He has also suspended joint US-Philippine patrols in the South China Sea, and has threatened an end to joint military exercises.

The South China Sea is of intense interest to Washington and it has repeatedly spoken out on the various territorial disputes between China and its neighbours over the strategically vital waters.

Tensions have risen between the US and China over Washington's so-called "pivot" to the Asia-Pacific, a move that Beijing says is intended to contain it.

Duterte will meet top leaders including President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang during his stay.

Hours before he spoke, Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told a regular briefing that Beijing was pleased to move towards resolving the territorial dispute "through consultation and dialogue".

"This is how two friendly neighbours should treat each other," she added.

"Anyone who truly wishes for peace, stability, development and prosperity in the Asia Pacific" should welcome Duterte's visit.

In an editorial Wednesday, China's nationalist Global Times newspaper said Washington had treated Manila "as a pawn", adding Duterte was now "redesigning Philippine foreign policy based on Philippine interests".

Duterte has said his China trip will focus on promoting economic ties.

The Philippines is hoping, among other things, that Beijing will repeal a ban on imports of its bananas -- an economic sanction intended to punish Manila for its South China Sea stance.

Hua said Wednesday announcements on infrastructure cooperation and economic development projects could be expected during the Philippine leader's visit.

Beijing has also enthusiastically endorsed Duterte's war on drugs, which has seen more than 3,700 people killed and led the International Criminal Court to warn that those responsible could face charges.

Hua praised Duterte Wednesday for "rolling out policies to ensure social order and public security", adding that the two sides were already in close communication about cooperating on drug control and anti-crime issues.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can't dig up the source right now, but I believe there was one poll that showed that Fil-Americans are the group that has the largest percentage of Trump supporters across all Asian-American ethnicities.

http://naasurvey.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/NAAS2016-Oct5-report.pdf

Not just the highest percentage of Trump supporters, but also the highest percentage of people who don't want the government doing more to help put black people and white people on equal footing, the highest percentage against the Affordable Care Act, the highest percentage opposed to letting Syrian refugees into America, and tied for the highest for opposing emission control to mitigate climate change. At least we aren't the worst at wanting Muslims banned? :cripes:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I have some pro-Duterte friends who were also pretty rabidly anti-China and were expecting Duterte to show them who was boss. I wonder what they're thinking now, because they are being... quite silent on Facebook.

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 22, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

In lesser news, he met with a Philippine beauty queen and said she proves that Filipinas are beautiful, except for those in the Commission on Human Rights, who are all ugly.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Duterte, on China and Russia: [There are no more communists today.]

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/10/27/16/duterte-communism-is-an-ideology-long-gone posted:

President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday evening said that communists no longer exist in this day and age. The president made a remark during a press conference in Davao City, following his return from an official visit to Japan. Asked about the Philippines' renewed relations with Russia, which was known for its socialist government, Duterte said communism is a thing of the past.
"Hoy! Wala nang komunista! That is an ideology that is long gone," the president said.
(Hey! Communists no longer exist. That is an ideology that is long gone.)

"Wala nang komunista ngayon," Duterte added. "The communist party is just for control, para hindi sasabog. There are billions of them. Kung sabihin mo na sa commune na magtrabaho tayo lahat, those were the propaganda days of the Americans during the Cold War."
(Communists no longer exist today. The communist party is just for control, so that they would remain intact. There are billions of them. If you say that we're going to work in a commune, those were the propaganda days of the Americans during the Cold War.)

Duterte, however, said in August that he subscribes to the socialist ideology and that he is friends with members of the Communist Party of the Philippines.

"Ito namang mga komunista, kaibigan kami. They are socialist but they are Communist Party of the Philippines. I am just socialist in my dimension kasi anak ako ng mahirap. I hate government and anyone oppressing the people," he said.
(These communists, they are my friends. They are socialist but they are Communist Party of the Philippines. I am just socialist in my dimension because I am a son of poor parents. I hate government and anyone oppressing the people.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Let's sell our product by capitalizing on the extrajudicial killing craze