Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That quote of his about killing addicts is just so extremely hosed up. I mean, extra-judicial killings of dealers is also super hosed up, but I can at least sort of understand where it's coming from (since dealing is an action that can cause significant harm to others), but saying that addicts themselves should be killed is no different than, for example, executing the mentally ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Given that the drug situation is not actually nearly as severe as Duterte portrays it, why exactly is Duterte so incredibly popular? I mean, Trump certainly has a significant support base in the US, but nothing near the almost ubiquitous support Duterte seems to have.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Where'd you see it? The numbers can vary depending on how these deaths are being classified. Indeed, that argument over what death should be counted under which statistic is a point of contention going into the Senate inquiry into extrajudicial killings.

That figure I think includes the killings not done directly by the police (but done by vigilantes who are encouraged by the government and sometimes directly supported by the police).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing that I find so amazing about all of this is how transparently obvious it is that Duterte is behaving exactly like any other stereotypical dictator. I can't understand how a person who has attended school and learned even the slightest bit about world history could hear his rhetoric and think "yes, this is totally fine and good."

It honestly seems like a significant portion of the population there would support virtually any atrocity Duterte chooses to commit, as long as he gives some half-baked explanation about how it's helping the war on drugs. Even though it should be obvious, it's still kind of spooky to be reminded that people are still vulnerable to being manipulated into supporting such terrible things.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manny Pacquiao, nooo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Someone in this thread mentioning Mall Asia or something reminded me of this Filipina girl I chatted with on AIM when I was 13/14 way back in the late 90's. I remember she would tell me about how the Philippines had amazing, giant malls. Malls so big that they made malls in the US look tiny. I remember being very fascinated by those malls.

That's my personal Philippines-related story.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sephyr posted:

Not bad, but needs more references to apps and interwebs and at least two disjointed pseudo-rhetorical questions ("Can the digital ape survive in the century of the inverted dollar sign?")

8/10, would flatten the world again.

I went to a high ranked undergraduate business school and The World is Flat was assigned reading for one of my junior year classes (I think international business?). I remember being genuinely confused as to how our professor, who is presumably a smart person, what with being a tenured professor at a high ranked university, could think that this book is worthwhile. At the time I assumed I was just missing something, but later I realized that a large portion of people involved with finance and business are just really dumb.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ihatepants posted:

There are still a ton of Chinese tourists and they are still really bad and kind of disgusting, to be honest. My wife used to work in Makati Med, which is one of the best hospitals in the country and there were multiple times when I would come and pick her up and witness Chinese nationals doing gross poo poo. Spitting on the floors, blowing their snot onto the floor, one time even holding up their infant to pee into one of the potted plants. Awful stuff to do, especially in a hospital.

I wonder if that might be some sort of cultural thing. My Chinese coworker will frequently loudly snort and then spit whatever he snorted up. He's a really nice guy otherwise so it's not something done out of malice or anything.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Argue posted:

http://naasurvey.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/NAAS2016-Oct5-report.pdf

Not just the highest percentage of Trump supporters, but also the highest percentage of people who don't want the government doing more to help put black people and white people on equal footing, the highest percentage against the Affordable Care Act, the highest percentage opposed to letting Syrian refugees into America, and tied for the highest for opposing emission control to mitigate climate change. At least we aren't the worst at wanting Muslims banned? :cripes:

Hey, even if they're the worst Asian Americans, they're still not nearly as bad as white Americans!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is an example of the sort of mental gymnastics people will go through to justify what the President is doing. I promise I won't turn this thread into the Political Forwards thread, Philippine edition:

It reminds me of pro-Trump internet comments, but with some bizarre national inferiority complex tacked on (in the "guy trying to talk big because he thinks everyone else is looking down on him" sense).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/29/world/asia/philippines-duterte-mayor-police.html?_r=0

poor guy and his concepts of guilt and innocence under a burgeoning totalitarian dictatorship.

This is like some sort of black comedy.

By the way, do we have any data on whether Duterte's initial rate of EJKs has been continuing into his presidency? I remember earlier there was a statistic that something like 3,000 had been killed in X weeks, but that was at least a few weeks ago.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/29/world/asia/philippines-duterte-mayor-police.html?_r=0

poor guy and his concepts of guilt and innocence under a burgeoning totalitarian dictatorship.

This is like some sort of black comedy.

By the way, do we have any data on whether Duterte's initial rate of EJKs has been continuing into his presidency? I remember earlier there was a statistic that something like 3,000 had been killed in X weeks, but that was at least a few weeks ago.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's weird how both Duterte and Trump do this thing where they'll invent specific dialogue when describing the things their opponents say/think about them. Like, instead of Duterte saying "They say I'm a bad person", he'll say "They say to me 'Duterte, you're a bad person.'" It's a strange habit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dex_sda posted:

The real crime here is how bad these rhymes are

"Get Drugged, Get hosed" brings pain to my mind.

I'm noticing a conspicuous lack of rhymes about opiates in that image, unless "pills" count as such.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

Does anyone know if Duterte has a family history of dementia? This is a pretty impressive level of unhinged, undirected ranting.

Yeah, he makes Trump sound like Obama in comparison or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No you see stimulants are somehow inherently more sinful than opiates.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What exactly am I looking at here? I looked up Sinulog and it's some sort of film festival? Is this some safety-related powerpoint for the festival?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think that the incoming inauguration of President Donald John Trump should provide some perspective as to why people were so, shall we say, desperate, to consider and discuss things like "can the CIA please coup Duterte?", or "can Obama just drone-strike Duterte?", or "why aren't you people rioting against Duterte yet?"

We should do an international exchange where the Philippines coups Trump and we coup Duterte in return.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Melania will have an affair with Duterte and it will trigger World War 3. Duterte sleeping with Melania will become the next Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Voice vote sounds like the dumbest thing ever unless it's used for some completely trivial issue like where to get lunch that day. Especially when you're dealing with a relatively small number of people and taking actual votes would probably take less than a couple hours.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Duterte curses in a weird way, almost it's a verbal tic or something. Is this just related to Filipino speech patterns or is it something unique to him?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

fartmanteau posted:

It's a big man idgaf get-poo poo-done persona, on top of a regional/social class thing like Scaramouche says. It works if you can back it up. I can see how people think of that as strong leadership, unfortunately.

He doesn't even think he's doing anything wrong. He honestly believes this is the only way to fix the loving place.

Just to be clear, I'm not referring to the cursing itself or the frequency of it, but the awkward way he does it. Like, he seems to frequently do this thing where he'll say a sentence and follow it with a random curse - for example "I am Duterte, the Filipino President, and I like killing criminals. Sons of bitches!" It comes off like some sort of impulsive verbal tick.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Some of it's possibly just awkward translations. I saw an article not long ago about how populist leaders tend to get very unfavorable translations which put the worst spin possible on their words. One reason more polished speakers use diplomatic language is because it's harder to misinterpret like that.

I thought that in most cases it wasn't a translation, though? Like he would be quoted speaking a mix of English and Tagalog with the cursing in English.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is Pinoy cuisine particularly meat heavy, or did you just happen to list a bunch of (incredibly delicious looking) meat-based dishes?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Well, at least that helps to offset all the people murdered through his drug war!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

quote:

"I don't even consider them extrajudicial killings," Bernardo says. "It's a moral killing, in a way. It's like a pest in your house. If you see a cockroach or a mosquito, you'd kill it. For me, if you're a drug user, a drug seller, you're a sickness in society. You need to disappear."

I feel like once you're comparing people to insects and saying they need to be exterminated you've crossed some sort of line.

I think that many people enjoy the feeling of dismissively condoning terrible atrocities. Like, there's a part of them that thinks "yeah I'm so fuckin hardcore, not pulling any punches" when expressing an opinion about things like this. On some level there's a pleasure associated with - without reservation - saying "these people are subhuman and deserve to die." I wonder if the only reason there's some resistance to it taking as strong of a hold in developed Western nations is that there's still some association with Hitler/WW2, but as the years continue to pass that status quo might change.