Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

have you guys never heard of a uniform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

i had always assumed it was an old virus doing it so these posts about it have been pcool

when that image gets posted people usually conclude it's probably a bit-flip but it's neat to see someone doing the work to verify that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/3deWeKR.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't wanna work
i just wanna

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

more

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bill NYSE posted:

computer af

fffffffffffffffffffffucccckkkkkkkkk offffffffffffff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nerds stereotyped as nerds

you don't say

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

has he finally finished upgrading my ram?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sweet

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

(Or the school buys one)

the company has spent millions of dollars lobbying to create laws requiring all schools to purchase and maintain a supply of epi-pens.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ban for implied anime

trap sprung etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was expecting a lot worse tbh given the number of emotes you put in (lol there's a limit on smileys per page dumbass)

it's so absurd it's abstract. it's like watching the mr creosote scene in monty python meaning of life where the puke is clearly being sprayed out of a hose behind the guy's head. like -- where does it keep coming from? it's so perfectly formed! :allears:

i think the most genuinely sickening thing i've ever experienced on the internet was a youtube recording of some team video game, and one of the players was drunk as poo poo and eventually fell off his chair and started puking, with his headset and microphone still on. 44khz pristine high detail stereo audio of a guy vomiting right beside your ear. about ten seconds of that and i was on the edge of hurling myself

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Davethulhu posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you people

it takes some kind of specially broken brain to specifically go and seek out things like GIGANTIC HEMORRHOID.jpg or MAN HAS EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA.mp4

some people are just bad people

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eh, i know a lot of people who have little to no technical skill and an inability to follow directions but like playing video games. they aren't going to do well building their own pc.

if you liked to play with lego as a kid though you can handle it.

e: lol at a few things tho

quote:

I have big, dumb, sausage fingers, so mounting the motherboard into the case, and screwing in nine (!) tiny screws to keep it in place in a cramped space, in weird angles, where dropping the screwdriver can easily break something expensive—it's just not what I'd call "consumer-friendly."

nine! nine screws! what am i, tony stark??

quote:

Beginning to end, the whole process of building the computer took me almost five hours, and I had to make two emergency calls to PC Gamer's Fenlon during the process; But getting there was a nightmare. It is by far the most difficult product I've ever bought and put together.

five hours!! good lord, i bet it didn't even take stradivarius five hours to make his violins! and did i mention the nine screws??

quote:

It's hard to put all these PC parts together because they're made by different companies, but there isn't even pressure from consumers to come up with better, universal standards that will make the whole experience easier.

no comment

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 29, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and we got this one too

quote:

This is why people buy from Apple. It designs everything from the trackpad to the box the computer comes in, which unfolds neatly to reveal everything you need. Apple reduces friction to the point where even my mom could upgrade the RAM on her iMac, and it can do this because it controls everything that goes in that box.

and i just double checked to be sure

quote:

*Note:
• Memory is not removable by users on iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), and iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014). If the memory in one of these computers needs to be replaced, contact an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you’d like to upgrade the memory in one of these models, an Apple Authorized Service Provider can help.
• Memory in iMac (21-inch, Late 2015) and iMac (Retina 4K, 21-inch, Late 2015) is not upgradeable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

yeah cause you're probably going to have more fun on the latter than the former ahahah! :xd:

i read somewhere that 1 in 8 europeans alive today was conceived in an ikea bed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here's a hot take

millennials as a group are not "good with technology" any more than any other demographic. they just spend way more time on instagram and facebook, and the olds perceive anything on a computer as everything to do with computers, so therefore braden who's always on that computer of his must be some kind of computer genius and let's sign him up for computer science!!!!

nerds are nerds and scrubs are scrubs, and building a pc is still well in the nerd range

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

like, ffs, i got students who are even more millennial than i am who don't understand the difference between disk formats and can't understand why their mac hard drive doesn't work on their friend's windows computer. who i am helping out and they load up a browser and it's full of toolbar garbage. ones who accidentally download a file to [anywhere not the downloads folder] and then are incapable of locating it on the file system.

being a computer toucher is an acquired skill

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Apocadall posted:

lol building a computer is like the equivalent of knowing how to change a tire, it's piss easy now and as long as you can fit square peg to round hole and aren't literally mentally inept you should be able to manage just fine

how about they go back and try to build one using an AT power supply and accidentally blow their board because they put the plugs in backwards because there was no such thing as keying back then

and how many millennials, do you think, if you took their cell phones away, would know how to change a tire?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

please replace 'millennials' with literally any broad demographic group and see what happens!

well yeah, that was my original point. there are some kinds of knowledge that seem really obvious to certain subcultures but are totally foreign to most of society. i bet at least a third of the people on the road couldn't point out their car's oil dipstick if it wasn't painted yellow

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't wanna be immortal but i do want to turn myself into a robot cyborg

wanna hack my own robot limbs / organs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Robot Pride posted:

planned obsolescence is actually a real reason millennials suck so many nutbags (the ones allergic to nuts just suck on the peen shaft)

most have never repaired something that mattered because they really don't have the opportunity thanks to lack of schematics, access, cheapness to replace with new, etc

"hey, look, i can update my telephone machine by typing in my pin"

i'm a god damned millennial and i repair and upgrade god damned everything i own

don't gimme that "not possible to fix things any more" weak-rear end defeatist bullshit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Robot Pride posted:

just look at how many new security screws have been made in the past 10 years. i had to buy a $100 screwdriver kit just to get into all this bullshit i own

stop buying apple stuff.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Robot Pride posted:

you are probably adept at what you do but the problem is that you are the exception and not the rule for your cohort

i recommend that people in my cohort Get On My Level

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Apocadall posted:

same, i'm totally in favor of unions and believe they're important to the health of the middle class but at the same time gently caress the unions because i'm going to fix my own poo poo

wait, how did unions get into this?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the artist: "well, i don't know what exactly a flying machine will look like, but i expect something like a boat, and i know that it will need a LOT of fans"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a friend who worked at the henry ford museum when he was in college, as a guide and driver of the old model Ts that you can get a ride in

he said that at least once a day there'd be some cocky guy who'd be like "hey, can i drive it? i'm a real good driver" and nag him about it, so after a while he'd let in and go "alright, sure, slide on over"

and then just smugly grin as the guy would sit down, put his hands on the wheel, pause for a second, and go "....uh....i....uhm....how do..."

quote:

The Model T's transmission was controlled with three foot pedals and a lever that was mounted to the road side of the driver's seat. The throttle was controlled with a lever on the steering wheel. The left pedal was used to engage the gear. With the floor lever in either the mid position or fully forward and the pedal pressed and held forward the car entered low gear. When held in an intermediate position the car was in neutral. If the driver took his foot off the left pedal, the Model T entered high gear, but only when the lever was fully forward – in any other position the pedal would only move up as far as the central neutral position. This allowed the car to be held in neutral while the driver cranked the engine by hand. The car could thus cruise without the driver having to press any of the pedals. There was no separate clutch pedal.

When the car was in neutral, the middle pedal was used to engage reverse gear, and the right pedal operated the transmission brake – there were no separate brakes on the wheels. The floor lever also controlled the parking brake, which was activated by pulling the lever all the way back. This doubled as an emergency brake.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

we will likely never surpass the energy density of gasoline with battery technology

and by 'surpass' I mean like "get within 1/100th the energy density"

yea. liquid fuels are far and away the most convenient and powerful way of storing energy we've got, and gasoline is the queen of liquid fuels

imo battery-electric cars are a stopgap for the next twenty years or so until someone invents an efficient direct-methanol fuel cell and bioengineers a good way of getting cellulosic alcohol...then we'll just switch right back to trucking liquid fuel and pumping it into tanks, with neutral carbon debt and twice the efficiency

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also let's get to work on those nuclear isomer batteries already

i want the full on science fiction "damaged phaser power pack melts down and vaporizes entire city block" effect

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wow it really became tcc's boring cousin in here

the regular yospos "what broken-brain drugs are you on and how can I abuse them?" derails are super dumb

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

dude you talk about how much motorcycle gear your wear at the drop of a hat

hearing a compounding pharmacist talk about how some whacko doc is prescribing oral restless leg syndrome meds as a topical treatment for dermatitis is pretty lmao

hey, i got no problem with people telling job stories or interesting anecdotes or w/e

several pages of ppl comparing their experiences w/ prescription drug abuse is like, take it to tcc. i post about motorcycles aaaalllll the time but it's in CA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is that rose byrne?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when I get old and decrepit I'm just gonna trade up to a sweet robot body

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lmao I was out on my balcony smoking a bowl just now and I had to yell at some guy for pissing on the fence

electrify it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Robot Pride posted:

my last felony case

ok, let's hear it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wonder if there's enough bacteria (and a safe enough environment for a long enough time) inside a space suit for a body to turn into a skeleton

like if you just dumped a corpse on the surface of the moon it would, what, just get freeze-dried?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OldAlias posted:

drugs and music are bad. we should all talk about trains and motorcycle apparel

trains: boring except magnetic ones
motorcycle apparel: the more the better

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is a 7th day adventist thing, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also, drag is a hell of a thing

http://i.imgur.com/3eizJGT.mp4

• Locked thread