Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
[img] blue lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sophian posted:

I read normal injectors and bulk epinephrine are cheaper but that time and accuracy and training are required for them to do the same job as an epipen. And since both need to be used in life-threatening situations, the simpler, foolproof method could mean the difference between life and death

epipens are pretty cool. we get expired ones and you stab a box with them to see what happens..

fuckin mylan hiking the price. isn't 40% of their operating profits from epipens? thats fuckloads given how many drugs they sell. probably almost half of all the drugs on our shelf are mylan

shame they're so fuckin expensive with such short expiries. there is a cheaper alternative but its less popular

but how about just not anaphylaxing though. fuckers dont thinkin of that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

epipen posted:

what are medication prices like in NZ, actually?
aus is generally pretty ok but there's some issues where like, a medication won't be covered for adults so instead of being $22.50 it's like fuckin $500/month, tho this is reasonably uncommon

overall we probably pay the least for our wholesale medicines in the entire western world

because our country as a whole acts as a wholesale purchaser and arranges all sorts of deals with the drug companies. this is good in some ways but it means the public are often getting given different brands. for example atorvastatin was lipitor. used to be fuckin expernsive but then pfizer released a nz only verson called zarator where a bottle of 90 whole sales at like $4 and that wasnt bad at least it was decent tabs but soon they're being replaced by an even cheaper generic called lorstat and the price is $13 for 500 of the bastards and of course this now means I will be counting shitloads more rather than giving packets

but yeah.. cheap. and in general all very well funded. whereas our GP visits aren't so cheap

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

epipen posted:

i get like, really severe migraines, and most meds for them just make them worse
i've been meaning to try ergotamine if i ever get a doc that'll try it, but the only place you can get it is compounding pharmacies, which a) are loving rare b) cost a mint
so, rip me i guess

nice

we have ergotamine/caffeine tablets on the shelf here.. it's not that common but dispense maybe every coupla weeks

not restricted or anything . shame I can't give you any :[

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BlastPHANT1337 posted:

Compounding pharmacies are the best. I love when pts come in and hand you a sheet saying they have some topical cream for their dermatitis that contains gabapentin, topiramate, ibuprofen and a beta blocker (actual example from yesterday). Whatever derms prescribe these should be ashamed.

I'm going to make my millions with topical compounded colace and I'll also put in some haldol and cipro just for good measure cause why not

Apply to butt twice a day

OK I'm done

lmao if you're not putting make ranitidine ointment

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Moist von Lipwig posted:

lol everything is used off label for bipolar

look up gabapentin abuse. i think you'll be pleasantly surprised

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

as a sedative or what do you like about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Pride posted:

it's hosed up that i can actually hear the recorder sound when i am reading those "notes"

dude, they are currency in detention/prison because they are awesome. you will have the best sleep and will have 10 hour amazing technocolor dreamcoat dreams that you will love every goddamn night

the downside is that you will have an unquenchable appetite and people with even somewhat tenuous self discipline instantly balloon up in weight

e: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=q%20ball
called q balls because the generic of seroquel is Quetiapine (the pro-est tip)

yeah? I dispense a shitload of it and no one really describes it as good. what kind of dose does that to ya

I knew one girl that would wake up with half eaten food in her mouth coz of the appetite it gave her

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

here's a hot take

millennials as a group are not "good with technology" any more than any other demographic. they just spend way more time on instagram and facebook, and the olds perceive anything on a computer as everything to do with computers, so therefore braden who's always on that computer of his must be some kind of computer genius and let's sign him up for computer science!!!!

nerds are nerds and scrubs are scrubs, and building a pc is still well in the nerd range

:iiaca: modern peoples are very good at driving until something goes wrong but have no idea whatsoever how a car actually works or anything you can do to fix it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gabapentin is probably the best drug I have ever tried that actually allows you to function

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Pride posted:

100mg with no tolerance will get you pretty stoned followed by coma-like hibernation that will be amazing and when i say stoned i really mean stoned. expect to sleep at least 10 hours and you will def still be quite a bit stoned and happy when you wake up i loving guarantee it

and if you are used to it control yourself and don't eat after you drop it because it fucks with your ability to swallow. it takes about 10-15 minutes to grab you by the rear end once you eat it

if you are unfortunate enough to live in america and not have insurance the poo poo will cost you about $300 per month which is relatively cheap for a respectable drug habit. just like rushing it with coke like in the link i posted it really pairs well with most stimulants and i spent many nights lifted on it while dipping kodiak

wow, that is a pretty shameful hustle

wow a pack of 90 x 100mg wholesales here for (get this) $4.20 lmao

I've had like 25mg before as a sedative and I've got maybe 2 or 3 x 25mgs lying around but idk if I can be bothered, I don't have time in my life to get that hosed up

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Moist von Lipwig posted:

dude you talk about how much motorcycle gear your wear at the drop of a hat

hearing a compounding pharmacist talk about how some whacko doc is prescribing oral restless leg syndrome meds as a topical treatment for dermatitis is pretty lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol if you posted:

dang i take 150-200mg of quell a day and it doesn't make me sleepy at all y'all are weird

yeah I checked a pack with a lady taking 300mg a night and I guess I just thought like things like opiods this poo poo works like a sponge and its usually only once it's cleared up why its there (pain, psychosis) does it start to have a recreational effect

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

syscall girl posted:

lol @ anything that is otc but can be prescribed at a higher dosage

what even is that and what legal fuckery caused that

we call this advil3

it's a bigass ibuprofen tablet that has 3x the advil of one 150mg tablet

yeah you got to check with your doctor about that poo poo

sustained release NSAIDs have higher rates of GI bleeds I believe

also melatonin is prescription only here in nz and maybe in Australia too and it's
not cheap like in the US

epipen posted:

oh man it's super fun when doctors prescribe anti-depressants and poo poo without understanding how they're supposed
SNRI class antidepressants bind to both serotonin and noradrenaline receptors, but generally bind preferentially (to a significant degree) to serotonin (excluding like, a handful of medications that slightly prefer noradrenaline receptors).
meaning, you have to increase the dose until serotonin receptors are more or less saturated with the medication, before it will bind to any significant amount of noradrenaline receptors, otherwise you might as well just prescribe an SSRI.
edit to say: i know you know stuff like this, just, for the folks who don't, + i just really hate SNRIs poo poo gave me discontinuation syndrome while i

maybe I knew it once lol. Drs prescribe by indication though I guess ? see some huge doses of venlafaxine/efexor and scares the poo poo out if me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fuckin pillheads all of you

tablets and capsules for fucksake

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

epipen posted:

needing high doses doesn't make high doses safe tho, lol, and venlafaxine/desvenlafaxine have reaaaally lovely sideeffects if you're unlucky

yeah tell me about it. I've tried to help people
come off it, drop their dose, go back up, just painful

I think 600mg is considered max dose but our dr was prescribing 750? fuckin mental

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

syscall girl posted:

shouldn't it be mg/kg or is it more like, yo your liver can take x amount, doesn't matter if you weigh 400lbs?

it depends a lot on different factors, some drugs that are very lipophilic partition readily
into the fat so the bigger you are the less is circulating so yo need more but th fat acts as a reservoir and also some drugs barely touch the liver, think about 750mg vs the ~10,000mg ethanol in a single drink. some drugs are hepatotoxic for their own reasons but much more likely to be bad for the kidneys. some drugs are almost exclusively excreted by the kidneys unchanged, methamphetamine I think it largely unmetabolised. some are metabolised and excreted into the bile. some drugs actually require this to work (sulindac)

I think it's likely large doses of drugs like venlafaxine might be neurotoxic but it's hard
to predict, quetiapine and other atypical antipsychotics increase risk of
metabolic disease and most anti epileptics carry a risk of a rare side effect called Steven Johnson syndrome which is when the skin cells (epithelium) start to separate - entirely unrelated to their mode of action. drugs side effects are often entirely unpredictable although some clearly are

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
aw11 mr2 supercharged is what I want

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes yes

last i looked they were about four grand here but nz has always had cheaper imports than Aus coz we import dozens times more despite our waaay smaller population. or at least that used to be the case

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://trademe.co.nz/1147544243

obv a bit of a project but pretty affordable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

yall got good taste in vehicles

i'm still driving my first car :unsmith:

dat 4age
nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I thank the lord Christ our saviour daily that aerosol cheese isn't a thing here in nz

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sick cloud

but seriously when is someone going to make a coloured vape cloud

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the next time i attend a med resident party imma ask one of the cardio people if vaping is heart healthy

it's clearly less healthy than not vaping but the cruel irony is that these people deserve to die a slow painful death but maybe won't

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

caring about the differences between types of metal automatically makes you the worst ever

mate youre wrong

if music was food

and metal was pizzas

you're basically saying "caring about the differences between types of pizza automatically makes you the worst ever"

its flawed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm maybe that is true. for me? that is not true

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:worship:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Radio Paranoia posted:

fuckin' smooth

you better believe me im gonna steal it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

no but for real tho

mate if you're gonna bring tidy desks in here make a fuckin thread about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

star wars soundrack rereleased on vinyl picturediscs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SmokaDustbowl posted:

my idea of seafood is greasy fried fish wrapped in newspaper with fries

yum

this is new Zealand's national takeaway

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

epipen posted:

and the UK's, and australia's (even inland australia, though its usually pretty bad by the time we get it. though i guess chikos or meat pies are more iconic?)

people tell me in the uk they don't cook to order which may make a difference coz we
do and it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got good fish n chips at work the other day

• Locked thread