Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

i'll give this thread 6 days

seriously whatever it is you dummies keep doing to get threads gassed can you at least wait until i've caught up for once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfSndZPynQk&t=16s

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

people tell me in the uk they don't cook to order which may make a difference coz we
do and it owns

depends on the chippy, depends on the time of day. a good one will cook to order but when they're busy might have a few bits of fish pre-cooked, but they don't sit around for more than a few minutes.

the main difference is whether or not they use frozen fish, because that poo poo just doesn't work. also the hipster idiots who insist on making bad beer batter and pissing about with the chips. they got that poo poo right a hundred years before you were born, stop thinking you can improve it.

(also for some reason a lot of chippies have godawful pissweak vinegar, if it isn't clearing your nasal passages at 20 paces it's not fit for human consumption)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

vodkat posted:

London and pubs down south :'(

even in london a chippy charging more than a tenner for takeaway is likely to be a hipster place loving with things.

the decent chippies near my home and work (on the edge of canary wharf and the city respectively) are like 7-8 quid for cod and chips, the one near work does a non-friday lunchtime deal of £6 for cod, chips and a can of drink.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz5pjXQMhiE

seals is dogs with water outside

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

oh cool shoppings here, I can have a bit of cake with my teAAAGH:can:

hoots mon there's an octopoose loose aboot this hoose

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

this is one of the reasons that i think prop-based effects result in better design than pure CG in movies

creativity comes from constraint

i've thought this about modern car and (especially) motorbike design, the rise of cad/cam (and the natural swing of fashion between curves and sharp angles) means a lot of modern designs look like utter poo poo because it never exists in full (or even small) scale until it's way too late to change

my go-to example of this is the ktm super duke (but all of ktm's bikes suffer from this to a greater or lesser extent)

not a single continuous line anywhere on the fucker. this isn't just a "dagnabbit in my days there were songs you could sing along to" thing, i like the pointy "transformer mid-transition" look of modern naked bikes, but this is a jangled mess for no other reason than the designer wanted to do as much designing as he possibly could.

(for comparison, the older model did a similar thing but with a much better flow:

compare the way the lines of the tail continue through the seat and tank to the total lack of flow in the newer one)

also it leads to poo poo like on my current bike - the design is mostly okay (but looks awkward as gently caress from some angles, another problem with a lot of modern bikes), except for literally no reason there's an engine mount right here:

that is cut at a 45 degree angle. no reason at all why it can't be flush, but i know some designer somewhere hugged himself at his brilliance in putting that little touch on so quotidian a bit of metalwork. it's only purpose is to dig into the side of your leg.

while i'm ranting about kids these days and their crazy trousers, this piece of poo poo just around the corner from me is bad (and has just "won" the carbuncle award for worst new building in london) but there are ten nearby almost as bad:

loving thing looks like the textures haven't finished loading yet. just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should do it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

they made a building with greebles

needless to say it looks even worse in real life, and just wander round in street view - that whole area is like the result of some sort of "who can do the stupidest loving thing in concrete and glass" competition. i swear it's because canary wharf, just up the road, is deliberately very conservative in the building designs they let on their turf and architects get rejected by them and go "too ugly for hoity toity canary loving wharf eh? let's see how much you like having to look out your precious symmetrical windows at THIS poo poo"

mind you at least, unlike the last winner, none of the buildings round here is an actual loving death ray:

that melts cars parked nearby on the three sunny days a year we get in london:

talking of lovely design - this isn't even the first building BY THIS ARCHITECT to do this:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Graff posted:

you seen Nathan Barley yet? that poo poo was straight up prophetic

still disappointed they didn't go with the original title

i suppose it's nws for language but gently caress it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

holy gently caress, I just got woken up by a shitload of cops in the parking lot. the chopper is flying around with the spotlight

mods are getting super loving serious about the no anime rule

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

p. sure that quote about time and purpose under heaven is what you get when you discover calendar but i dont remember Leonard Nimoy encouraging me to vote when i teched up to it

edit: probably because i hadn't discovered democracy yet

loving christians ripping off the byrds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol Graph pls save for your next probation-giving reason

karl pilkington's dad spotted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0zaOjaflHg

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

was it the talk about how paedophiles have more genes in common with a crab than they do with humans?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

google is a good dictionary just type "define word"

you've really got to hear it in a scottish accent - weegie for preference - to get the full effect

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

you've really got to hear it in a scottish accent - weegie for preference - to get the full effect

can't be bothered to find that one episode of burnistoun where rab says reprobate, instead have glasgow's cultural ambassador

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc4gB89LN7o

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gilok posted:

if you can read scottish tweets without hearing the scottish accent then smh

https://twitter.com/BBCSporf/status/778341450169872389?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

i need a turboshaft in this scale for a project, tia

they're a thing that exists, my nephew works for a company that makes them for micro power generation, but they're really not cheap.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

meatpotato posted:

god i want this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHCid-GypGI&t=260s

it's all the more amazing in motion

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i would watch a buddy comedy with electroboom guy and photonicinduction

and big clive as their grumpy captain

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

half those channels don't exist/have been renamed/have moved down the epg or some combination of those since this picture was taken

what an unexpected thing to feel :corsair: about

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E12nnpWc5c

i'm the fart transformer

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/780588022412771328

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/themadstone/status/780596507577765888

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

They assume anyone dumb enough to be buying high-powered lasers off the internet is already down at least one eye.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

i'm no toiletologist or anything, but surely having the water spiralling around like that rather than just shooting straight down the bowl actually makes it less likely to clear the poop away?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

gonna set "done but with errors on page" as my sig i think

should be obligatory for every page on the internet

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

now for real fun connect both ends of the tube together, it's like the large hadron collider but with rodents

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

i'm opening here for flexzone

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

welcome to venice! this will be your last meal!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXlblGvNtOs

new techmoan is p yospos

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

awesome

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Graff posted:

civilisation was pretty dope if you want something not science

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ACKixVPxiQ

you should probably watch civilisation and the ascent of man together, the latter was specifically designed as a reply to the former. then be prepared to find 95% of things called "documentaries" made in the last two decades incredibly grating.

i'm so annoyed by modern documentaries. they cracked the format years ago and your media studies degree isn't going to improve it. find a person who knows and loves their subject and let them talk about it, with whatever footage you need to back up what they're saying. works for everything from david attenbrough to that guy who does the lock-picking videos on youtube. bbc4 is amazing for this - i willingly watched a whole history of royal clothing because the presenter was just talking about the subject and telling me, the viewer, the things she felt were important and interesting. that's all you need.

if your documentary has a presenter or a talking head who knows less about the subject than a random punter off the street (or at least is pretending to) you've hosed up. if your presenter spends more time talking about how they feel about the subject rather than what the subject actually is, you've hosed up. most of all if the first paragraph of your script includes the words "i'm on a journey" just delete everything and never make a documentary ever again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

epipen posted:

the only benefit a documentary gets from a famous narrator, tbh, is being made fun of.
unless the actor or whoever is actually interested in a topic, and excited to learn about it (see: tony robinson docos being generally pretty good), it just comes across as marketing

yeah there's a few honourable exceptions to that (the world at war, for example - i don't believe lawrence olivier was particularly an expert on ww2) but you've got to really be solid on every other detail to make it not-poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's here everyone getin. echi if you quote this within 24 hours i will buy it for you. $13 is worth the satisfaction of seeing my top scores above yours on every puzzle like tis-100 <3

lol freaky tying together of conversations, i'm literally watching a documentary about kids in the 60s learning to program a computer their school had somehow obtained to play music

e: oh i thought this was the game people were arguing about a few pages ago where you built synths with pseudocode

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMtdlyquBHw

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DisneyPixar/status/784069901766057984

:3:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

a couple of my friends worked down there one summer in the 90s, apparently downers - from draw (almost no weed in britain in the 90s) to heroin - were cheaper and more plentiful than even in the lovely bit of london we lived in

also they sold a bunch of lovely cheap speed they'd bought down with them to a minor 80s tv star as coke, and spent a week hiding from him

i still regret not going with them

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Graff posted:

what is it with seaside towns and smack

this was literally on the camp, they pretty much didn't leave the premises the whole time they were there (not least because they were working 14-16 hours a day 7 days a week)

generally though i can't think of a more horrifying place to be doing an upper (let alone a hallucinogen) than a british seaside town. the very last thing you'd want in, say, hastings, is any kind of heightened perception.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

"this is one blacker"

linus is going to be underwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cheese-cube posted:

gently caress, got the best idea: get armando iannucci to temporarily resurrect The Thick Of It and do a brexit-themed rise of the nutters special. i know he said the series is over full-stop but... :(

one of the main reasons it's over is they couldn't come up with anything more ridiculous than poo poo that was happening in the real world

• Locked thread