Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How about the part where the game had over 200,000 concurrent players at its height, which qualifies as a huge success for the development budget that likely went into No Man’s Sky. SteamSpy is estimating that over 750,000 players purchased the game, and that’s only on Steam. These numbers don’t take the game’s PlayStation 4 audience into account, nor services like GoG.

"The numbers speak of a phenomenal launch for a game, the huge amount of players and respective playtimes speak to a far more content number of people than internet chatter would have you believe," game developer Rob Fearon wrote. "Holding out in the Steam top sellers for days, even during the release of a much awaited big box title is an amazing feat for a game. Despite the internet at large’s story, people want to play No Man’s Sky. People are playing No Man’s Sky. No Man’s Sky is not a failure. It is a success."
But those numbers were reported on as if they constituted a failure, instead of proving that No Man’s Sky is likely to be one of the most successful games of the year. Neither Hello Games nor Sony ever stepped into with any data or even analysis to set the record straight. So the negative perception of sales and players is willing.

This is a huge problem in games in general

I personally enjoy No Man’s Sky, and I know plenty of other folks who do as well. I’m not playing it right now, so I contributed to the sharp drop of concurrent players. Does that mean I "abandoned" the game or that it’s a failure? Well, no. I’m not playing because other games have been released. In general I don’t play many games after the first two weeks of my purchase.

I would argue that many, if not most, of the many people who purchased the game either enjoyed it, are still enjoying it or put on the back burner, or don’t like it as much as they thought they would and have shrugged at it before moving onto other things. The game has likely sold an ungodly amount of copies, and the number of concurrent players on Steam is still very high for what amounts to an independent release.

You need to have the Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

But neither Hello Games nor Sony have given us any of that good news. They have not blown their own horn, nor done much to talk about what the players who like the game enjoy about it. No Man’s Sky is an ambitious game that sold a poo poo ton of copies and has a Metacritic score of 64. Everyone involved has much in which to be proud.

But instead, the loudest, most negative voices are shouting unopposed. Their version of events and perception of the game as a failure and / or result of years of lying is more or less going completely unchallenged by the people who have the most to gain by defending, or at least explaining, the situations that led to these controversies.

Instead we get a few mealy-mouthed change logs for patches and then silence. No Man’s Sky is a huge success, but when it’s viewed as a failure Sony and Hello Games will have no one to blame but themselves.

Did, the matrix just glitch? Am I having a stroke, or have I read this exact same thing before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know I kind of agree that getting a refund after 50 hours is bullshit and taking advantage of the easy refund situation. Sorry but 50 hours? Most AAA games don't even last that long. The new Deus Ex doesn't.

It's like when I see people with 900 hours played on Skyrim posting reviews poo poo talking Bethesda and claiming The Elder Scrolls are the worst game ever.

quote:

The flip side to that, however, is that players could fairly argue they played the game for more than just a couple hours to see if the content they were promised was actually buried deeper in the title.

Yeah but 50 hours lol

I feel like 10-15 maaaaybe even 20 depending on the game is okay but 50? That's not just a weekend.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How about the part where the game had over 200,000 concurrent players at its height, which qualifies as a huge success for the development budget that likely went into No Man’s Sky. SteamSpy is estimating that over 750,000 players purchased the game, and that’s only on Steam. These numbers don’t take the game’s PlayStation 4 audience into account, nor services like GoG.

it's a success of marketing, sure

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

:same:

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

You know I kind of agree that getting a refund after 50 hours is bullshit and taking advantage of the easy refund situation. Sorry but 50 hours? Most AAA games don't even last that long. The new Deus Ex doesn't.

It's like when I see people with 900 hours played on Skyrim posting reviews poo poo talking Bethesda and claiming The Elder Scrolls are the worst game ever.

Yeah but 50 hours lol

I feel like 10-15 maaaaybe even 20 depending on the game is okay but 50? That's not just a weekend.

Yeah, after a certain point even if you don't love a game, putting enough time into means you've gotten your use out of it - even if you grow to hate it. 2 hours may seem like a low cut off, but I think double digits starts to get a bit ridiculous, especially considering the lengths of a lot of games. And setting up refund cut-offs based on the game seems like a potentially exploitable system.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Flesh Forge posted:

it's a success of marketing, sure

This is why I strongly support the full refunds for NMS. The entire product is a marketing strategy. I think it's dumb as hell to pre-order games in TYOOL 2016, but NMS really takes skeezy marketing to another level.

Imagine going to a restaurant and ordering a set, 3-course meal, but the meal didn't actually provide any of the components that the menu listed for that 3-course meal.

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

SONY should just die after their abysmal history in the film industry and flamboyant promotion of poo poo games that never make a return

Captain Video
Apr 4, 2016
Photos I've seen of the game impressed me, I kinda wish my old-rear end horse carriage of a PC was capable of running it just to marvel at procedurally-generated terrain every four days

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

"The numbers speak of a phenomenal launch for a game, the huge amount of players and respective playtimes speak to a far more content number of people than internet chatter would have you believe," game developer Rob Fearon wrote. "Holding out in the Steam top sellers for days, even during the release of a much awaited big box title is an amazing feat for a game. Despite the internet at large’s story, people want to play No Man’s Sky. People are playing No Man’s Sky. No Man’s Sky is not a failure. It is a success."
But those numbers were reported on as if they constituted a failure, instead of proving that No Man’s Sky is likely to be one of the most successful games of the year. Neither Hello Games nor Sony ever stepped into with any data or even analysis to set the record straight. So the negative perception of sales and players is willing.

I personally enjoy No Man’s Sky, and I know plenty of other folks who do as well. I’m not playing it right now, so I contributed to the sharp drop of concurrent players. Does that mean I "abandoned" the game or that it’s a failure? Well, no. I’m not playing because other games have been released. In general I don’t play many games after the first two weeks of my purchase.

I would argue that many, if not most, of the many people who purchased the game either enjoyed it, are still enjoying it or put on the back burner, or don’t like it as much as they thought they would and have shrugged at it before moving onto other things. The game has likely sold an ungodly amount of copies, and the number of concurrent players on Steam is still very high for what amounts to an independent release.

But neither Hello Games nor Sony have given us any of that good news. They have not blown their own horn, nor done much to talk about what the players who like the game enjoy about it. No Man’s Sky is an ambitious game that sold a poo poo ton of copies and has a Metacritic score of 64. Everyone involved has much in which to be proud.

But instead, the loudest, most negative voices are shouting unopposed. Their version of events and perception of the game as a failure and / or result of years of lying is more or less going completely unchallenged by the people who have the most to gain by defending, or at least explaining, the situations that led to these controversies.

Instead we get a few mealy-mouthed change logs for patches and then silence. No Man’s Sky is a huge success, but when it’s viewed as a failure Sony and Hello Games will have no one to blame but themselves.

Wait a minute. Is this an original composition? Wtf?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
colonial marines was a big rear end stinker but alien: isolation was the bomb

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Smythe posted:

maybe if you had the Adobe Flash Player you'd be able to tell

well no matter, here you go: http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/29/12691326/no-mans-sky-sony-hello-games-hate

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

CrashCat posted:

well no matter, here you go: http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/29/12691326/no-mans-sky-sony-hello-games-hate

of course it's polygon

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

CrashCat posted:

Lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ofc it's Kuchera

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

nigga crab pollock posted:

i bought 10 copies of the game to stack together and stick my dick inside. it was worth every penny

Why buy 10 when 5 would be enough

Also wouldnt the hole be a bit to big for you buddy

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

CrashCat posted:

the best thing about the aftermath of lovely games is the nerds who have huge meltdowns trying to convince everyone that "nooo guys the game isn't bad it's good. it's good :qq:"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i didnt buy this game so i guess im a genius

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Gobblecoque posted:

the best thing about the aftermath of lovely games is the nerds who have huge meltdowns trying to convince everyone that "nooo guys the game isn't bad it's good. it's good :qq:"
to be fair though, all Ben Kuchera posts is meltdowns

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gobblecoque posted:

An estimated $240 million in tickets were sold for the Adam Sandler movie Pixels. It was a nationally released movie and people watched it in theaters and the numbers reflect that, reaching #2 in the box office, therefore it is a good movie.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Buca di Bepis posted:

ofc it's Kuchera

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

Short Answer:

Long Answer:
Gearbox took SAGA's money and outsourced dirt poor 3rd world developers, then when they saw what a poo poo sandwich it iwas they pre-rendered everything from the game to look awesome for all the demos, and apparently even stuff they showed Saga (I believe Saga kicked their rear end in a law suit) and just completely lied their asses off about one of the most broken and terrible crapfests in a while. It's also by far the worst Aliens game. Poor SAGA, they've had no luck with it. And before them, Aliens games were generally awesome.
You left some important details out and I'm a stickler for Aliens Colonial Marine hate so, here you go:

-Gearbox got the greenlight by Fox to produce canon Aliens material, i.e. this was suppose to officially follow Alien 2 in the timeline. They got the loving keys to the castle and instead of respecting Nerds everywhere they put all their internal development efforts (and perhaps cash) into Borderlands 2 (garbage game based on stolen IP)

-When Sega originally bought the rights from Fox at the end of 2006 they funded development of 2 games of which only Colonial Marines made the financial cut. The game left on the cutting room floor was an Alien RPG in development by Obsidian (Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone, etc). Reasons for the RPG being cut are only speculative, but CoD FPS being a huge cash cow certainly played into it

-Because Gearbox was internally concentrating on capitalizing on the success of Borderlands (garbage game), they outsourced dev of Aliens to Timegate. However this transfer didn't take place until 2010, a full 3 years into project development, leaving Timegate timecrunched and, after reviewing Gearbox's work, woefully short of the progress they expected. Basically Gearbox took Sega money and sat Aliens on the backburner for 3 years

-Gearbox put out promotional trailers that did not actually use assets from the release game, overselling and outright lying

-Gearbox's laxidaisical attitude towards A:CM dev also meant that, even 4 years in, no concrete story had been hammered out. Timegate was left flailing in the wind to complete an unfinished game & write its story

-After Timegate was unable to deliver, and Sega refused to grant yet another extension on a fatally flawed project reaching the 6 year mark, Gearbox ran it through their internal poo poo machine and crapped out a turd to make their final deadline

-Randy "gently caress face lying oval office" Pitchford took no personal responsibility, and refused to apologize for the abysmal state of the game, the lying E3 demo, the misleading interviews, and shifted blame on Sega marketing for the misleading advertisements

To take a beloved franchise and treat it with so much disrespect, and then not own up to a single mistake, is not just garbage, it's cowardly.

Randy Pitchford & Gearbox can suck deez nuts. They'll never get another cent from me, despite hijacking the beloved Homeworld series

PS - borderlands is just a rip off from Codehunters but Randy "the gaping rear end in a top hat" Pitchford was too cheap to pay royalties so the studio just copied its style wholesale with no recognition

What I'm saying is if you buy a Gearbox game you are poo poo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Borderlands 2 sucks anyway

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DOMDOM posted:

You left some important details out and I'm a stickler for Aliens Colonial Marine hate so, here you go:

-Gearbox got the greenlight by Fox to produce canon Aliens material, i.e. this was suppose to officially follow Alien 2 in the timeline. They got the loving keys to the castle and instead of respecting Nerds everywhere they put all their internal development efforts (and perhaps cash) into Borderlands 2 (garbage game based on stolen IP)

-When Sega originally bought the rights from Fox at the end of 2006 they funded development of 2 games of which only Colonial Marines made the financial cut. The game left on the cutting room floor was an Alien RPG in development by Obsidian (Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone, etc). Reasons for the RPG being cut are only speculative, but CoD FPS being a huge cash cow certainly played into it

-Because Gearbox was internally concentrating on capitalizing on the success of Borderlands (garbage game), they outsourced dev of Aliens to Timegate. However this transfer didn't take place until 2010, a full 3 years into project development, leaving Timegate timecrunched and, after reviewing Gearbox's work, woefully short of the progress they expected. Basically Gearbox took Sega money and sat Aliens on the backburner for 3 years

-Gearbox put out promotional trailers that did not actually use assets from the release game, overselling and outright lying

-Gearbox's laxidaisical attitude towards A:CM dev also meant that, even 4 years in, no concrete story had been hammered out. Timegate was left flailing in the wind to complete an unfinished game & write its story

-After Timegate was unable to deliver, and Sega refused to grant yet another extension on a fatally flawed project reaching the 6 year mark, Gearbox ran it through their internal poo poo machine and crapped out a turd to make their final deadline

-Randy "gently caress face lying oval office" Pitchford took no personal responsibility, and refused to apologize for the abysmal state of the game, the lying E3 demo, the misleading interviews, and shifted blame on Sega marketing for the misleading advertisements

To take a beloved franchise and treat it with so much disrespect, and then not own up to a single mistake, is not just garbage, it's cowardly.

Randy Pitchford & Gearbox can suck deez nuts. They'll never get another cent from me, despite hijacking the beloved Homeworld series

PS - borderlands is just a rip off from Codehunters but Randy "the gaping rear end in a top hat" Pitchford was too cheap to pay royalties so the studio just copied its style wholesale with no recognition

What I'm saying is if you buy a Gearbox game you are poo poo

Moridin920 posted:

Borderlands 2 sucks anyway

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

'games bad so sad

$60 for what was delivered and hyped is a joke

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
if I saw randy "poo poo eating liar" pitchford in person, perhaps at one of his magic shows, I would spit and/or piss on him

I would not say the same for Sean Murray. mostly because I think he'd start crying once I raised my voice

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Smythe posted:

it's beautiful *hums along 2 the tune*

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

down n out posted:

An estimated $240 million in tickets were sold for the Adam Sandler movie Pixels. It was a nationally released movie and people watched it in theaters and the numbers reflect that, reaching #2 in the box office, therefore it is a good movie.
Well, #2 for its opening weekend.

Still, top 1000 is not shameful by any stretch. I would be curious to see how it ranked after adjusting for inflation though. Looking at the list and seeing it just behind stuff like Wrath of Khan and Wargames is still depressing even knowing the comparison isn't useful.

It's probably worth noting though that the dropoff week over week was a lot faster than Ant-Man that it was competing against.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=pixels.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=antman.htm

So even on that basis it's hard to say it's "great", but it definitely made its money back.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CrashCat posted:

Still, top 1000 is not shameful by any stretch. I would be curious to see how it ranked after adjusting for inflation though.
Sure enough, there's a button for that, sort of. Pixels domestic comes out to $82,536,700 and Wrath of Khan domestic comes out to $232,444,300. Or 9,530,800 versus 26,841,100 estimated tickets.

Kind of bummed the chart they made with the adjustment only goes through the top 200.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Another couple fun charts while I'm digging around in there:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/drops.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/smallestdrops.htm?page=DROP3000

Note the kind of movie that has a small first drop, it's got some good movies but also the kind of stuff that people are going to see no matter how bad they're told it stinks, like the Jimmy Neutron movie. When the kids want to see some poo poo you're gonna take them to whatever the big name kids movie is and not give a crap whether it's worth anything.

Pixels clocks in at #3535 out of #4367 movies for which they have data on the first to second weekend drop, with over a 50% decrease, putting it firmly in the "people fled this poo poo like a steaming turd" category.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 30, 2016

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

CrashCat posted:

It's probably worth noting though that the dropoff week over week was a lot faster than Ant-Man that it was competing against.

While we're at it how did that movie make 500 mil :psyduck:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DOMDOM posted:

Very mad about videogames.

I have bought all the Borderlands games. Fight me.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Son of Rodney posted:

While we're at it how did that movie make 500 mil :psyduck:
Where'd you get that figure? I can't find anything about foreign video sales but even with a 30-70 split on that you wouldn't make 500:

It doesn't make a lot in any one particular country, but when you put a movie out in this many countries it adds up in a hurry:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=pixels.htm&sort=opengross&order=DESC&p=.htm

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 30, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

CrashCat posted:

Where'd you get that figure? I can't find anything about foreign video sales but even with a 30-70 split on that you wouldn't make 500:

It doesn't make a lot in any one particular country, but when you put a movie out in this many countries it adds up in a hurry:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=pixels.htm&sort=opengross&order=DESC&p=.htm

He was referring to Ant-Man (the reason it made 500m is that Paul Rudd is delightful).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DOMDOM posted:

if I saw randy "poo poo eating liar" pitchford in person, perhaps at one of his magic shows, I would spit and/or piss on him

I would not say the same for Sean Murray. mostly because I think he'd start crying once I raised my voice

What a perfectly rational thought also:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Germstore posted:

He was referring to Ant-Man (the reason it made 500m is that Paul Rudd is delightful).

While we're at it how is this guy 47 years old :psyduck:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Germstore posted:

Oh yeah. Also it reviewed pretty well and and I remember hearing good buzz about it at the time. I did actually hear people recommend that one.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Son of Rodney posted:

While we're at it how is this guy 47 years old :psyduck:

is this the guy who was boinking rachel in friends?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

congrats you play garbage tier games

might i recommend farmville

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
look at me i like mindless loot grind games with stolen art inspiration, lovely writing, and derivative mechanics

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
might i recommend a little known game called

no mans sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DOMDOM posted:

look at me i like mindless loot grind games with stolen art inspiration, lovely writing, and derivative mechanics

DOMDOM posted:

congrats you play garbage tier games

might i recommend farmville

DOMDOM posted:

might i recommend a little known game called

no mans sky

Considering you have such strong opinions on videogames I am sure you are a stable and well-rounded individual.

• Locked thread