Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lol, SA will bury Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

FuhrerHat posted:

"somethingawful is washed up, all the cool kids are on reddit now!"
-a real dumbass

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I dunno why everyone is so hung up on the idea GBS needs to be funny.

I get it that this is a comedy forum, but justifying every complaint against GBS with "x isn't funny" or "if you rely on x, your comedy is weak" is not helpful.

GBS is a place to decompress and vent about the world. Decompressing is a great avenue for comedy because we find solace in humor and pointing out the absurdity of the lovely things in our lives, but some of the most fun I've had in GBS haven't been "funny" threads at all.

GBS stands for "general bullshit" and I approach it the same way I approach bullshiting with my IRL friends. Sometimes you laugh together, or shoot the poo poo about movies or videogames or stupid ideas. Sometimes the conversation turns really serious and profound, or there's a heated argument. And sometimes you just need a sounding board to bitch about your day.

All types and topics of discussion should be welcome here and constantly pressuring GBS to be "funny" does much more harm than good. Just let people be and the funny will happen.

-What GBS means to me, by Applewhite.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

y troll posted:

is it funny to threaten people with breaking their arm online and being super macho online when it carries over to real life too? jwing

I don't know this seems to be a reference to a very specific situation with which I'm not familiar.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Oh it's Dare

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Beefeater posted:

I don't necessarily think every thread in GBS needs to be the epitome of funny. I would just rather it be something besides the loving mess of unfunny shitposting that it is now.

Ehh. I don't think it's so bad. Like I said it's a place for friends to shoot the poo poo. It comes and goes in cycles.

Last week was really rough I couldn't find any threads I liked and couldn't come up with any good ideas, but I've been in here on days where every thread was on fire.

Personally I've had days where I can't do anything but shitposting and I've had days where I can do no wrong. I hope people will give me the benefit of the doubt during the bad times and I feel like we owe GBS the same courtesy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You know what always makes comedy great? Overthinking.

Exactly. Just let it flow.

Xanei.exe posted:

There's too much negativity floating around here these days imo. Too many threads where people are saying the thread sucks or the OP sucks or their opinions suck or my personal favorite "[blank] is for children". I always thought that goon's self-hatred was supposed to be directed outward towards making new content or things like the Redditbomb. Or maybe at least finding someone particularly psychotic and laughing because "well at least I'm not that guy." Plus all of this whiny poo poo that should probably go in E/N. That's just my two cents though, anyway.

I dunno. Negativity is sort of the core of GBS. And I dunno if it's so much negativity as, again, decompression.

If you want a chill place to be positive and chill, there's BYOB.

GBS is for people who have something pent up inside and need to let it out.

Now, usually what gets pent up inside of people is frustration, anger and dissatisfaction, so when people come to GBS that's what they let out, but creativity can get pent up, too, and that's why you get Atma and SIB posting their amazing CYOAs in here and not in BYOB.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Xanei.exe posted:

I just don't think it helps when someone is attempting to start a thread and you get a handful of people who are complaining about the topic instead of adding to the discussion. Like the one guy posting in the Dryman thread saying "this is the worst CYOA I've ever seen". I'm not saying GBS should be a happy feel-goodery but I think it makes it harder to post for some when they might get shot down instantly without their ideas even being given a chance.

It seems like Dryman is one of those "it's funny because it's bad on purpose" deals and that complaining that it's bad isn't the kind of thing that would discourage Black Baby Goku.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bitter Mushroom posted:

dgsw was funny when he told us about his time with the bathyspheres

DGSW is the zeitgeist of GBS made manifest and I notice he is a lot funnier when the forum is funnier and that he does more effort posts when the effort level in GBS goes up.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If you want to encourage effortposting, I recommend positive reinforcement. Making rules against"bad" posts will only discourage people from posting altogether, whereas rewarding and recognizing good posts has proven results.

I don't know if you recall, but the period when Gnarly was having weekly posting contests saw the longest continuous string of goldmined threads I've seen in my admittedly short time here. Every week there were two or three amazing sticky threads and a lot of great stuff was happening. Gnarlyhotep gets a lot of poo poo but the numbers don't lie and he oversaw a GBS Renaissance.

The reward doesn't have to be anything big, it can be something as small as an AV change or even just recognition. Creative types love recognition and if you offer it to them they will work themselves to death to get it.

This will, of course require some effort from the mods beyond probating and banning people.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Wamdoodle posted:

What happened with Gnarly anyway? I started posting in GBS around that time then stopped for a while. Then saw he was banned.

He's still around, but he's hung up the badge.
He's just Gnarly, regular citizen now.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fat Shat Sings posted:

sell good SA merchandise

have a patreon

Also change is fine but try and strike a balance between a social justice safespace hellhole where any joke is met with 5x as much outrage and everyone is expected to have D&D without the citations and a complete shitpost wilderness.

I would buy the poo poo out of/design SA merchandise for days.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

drunk asian neighbor posted:

IMO a good way to reward creativity in this context is to crack down on ironic shitposting and white noise. I've seen tons of threads that started as earnest discussions of whatever, and almost immediately devolved into a ton of people either posting complete nonsequitors in the usual whitenoise style, or even worse people just posting to say things like "this is a lovely thing to talk about" or "nice effortpost loser" and the like.

The creativity and content is still there, it's just drowning in a sea of people who think the peak of hilarity is making GBS threads on every "effortpost" they see.

Actually a good reward for creativity in this context is an actual reward.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It will be slow but when people start seeing that effortposting is rewarded and encouraged, they will want to effortpost, too. If you give shitposters negative attention people will be encouraged to shitpost just for the recognition of being a shitposter. Quietly probate people who constantly and only poo poo up threads for the sake of making GBS threads on them, and ban the truly disruptive.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

Whres my avatar you fuker

I keep trying to give you updates about it but you never respond. I figured you'd lost interest.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The "rap sheet" is kind of a point of pride with a lot of goons and a central part of Goon culture. You have to keep at least a few bad posters around so we can compare battle scars.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
GBS is a thriving jungle ecosystem full of life and chaos. Parts of it are dangerous or smelly or disgusting but put it all together its a miraculous web of life. I'd caution against tampering with it because, like a jungle ecosystem, even the lovely parts are important. Sure everyone hates bugs but if they all disappeared then the beautiful birds that depend on them for sustenance will disappear, too.

It's not a 1:1 analogy but I think you get where I'm going.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually forget the Jungle analogy. It's stupid.

GBS is more like a garden that's sort of gotten overgrown with weeds and bugs. You can clear out all the weeds and bugs, but it won't make your garden beautiful. You also have to plant the seeds of the flowers and vegetables you want, and give them plenty of fertilizer (which means they need a certain amount of poo poo).
You can't just kill all the bugs and weeds indiscriminately because you'll take all the flowers and probiotic creatures with them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

Do you want to be modded again? Because, this is how you get modded again.

I don't think I can make the time commitment it would take to be a good mod.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Luvcow posted:

I strongly disagree. It is not in any way, shape or form "thriving", its hasn't thrived for years, there are a few hidden gems but they are few and far between.

That's why I threw out the jungle analogy.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's like a desert. It's hosed up, unlivable, and nobody really wants to be there except people who can't go anywhere else, but it's also home to some cool kinds of dung beetles.

However you want to look at it. The solution to make it more full of life isn't to kill the life that's there but to bring to it the elements that encourage the life you want.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mike12345 posted:

I'm not a big fan of the "effort" threads because I find the humor usually lacking, so please if it's all photoshop phridays and CYOAs from now on, maybe make a second "poo poo GBS" forum where all the drunks can migrate to.

Germstore posted:

Many times a low effort post will turn into a thriving thread. Like the tech relics thread. It's doing well because it's the type of thread that us depressed middle age IT professionals enjoy.

Exactly. GBS needs all different kinds of posts.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

GlitchThief posted:

What do you want, a loving gold star for not posting like poo poo?

For starters.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Look if it weren't literally tested and proven to work on these very forums I wouldn't suggest it, but the fact is the good thread contests produced a lot of good threads and raised the overall level of GBS quality.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pendent posted:

It occurs to me that having a discussion about the future of GBS in a thread about Reddit may not see the participation it may were the thread titled more accurately.

Well at least GBS has a future. Reddit is gonna rot on the vine the second some new, even stupider way of circlejerking is invented. Say what you will about these dead gay forums but we're still here even though b y all accounts we should have been superceded by now.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think we can all bond if we meet up at Burger King. I'm buying. I'll even give you all a kiss

I'd be down to meet some goons IRL. Every time I see a very fat/nerdy looking person my heart swells with hope and I ask them if they have stairs in their house. So far I haven't met any goons but I will not give up looking.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Good thread contests only work if a good idea for a thread isn't immediately bogged down by shitposting. Rewarding good posting does nothing to discourage bad posting, so you might get an increase in people trying to post good threads, but you'll still have people making GBS threads on those threads.

I disagree to a certain extent. Reward good posting and a lot of the people who might normally shitpost will effortpost instead.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Beefeater posted:

Or they could just not quote every post they like and respond with "lol". Isn't doing so a prime example of whitenoise posting? It adds nothing to the thread.

It lets the quoted poster know they are appreciated. I like getting empty quoted and lolled

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I'm not a huge fan of Applewhite's posting but drat dude you have a really bizarre obsession with following him around in threads and posting poo poo like this. Maybe get a better hobby?

Make fourteen goldmined threads and write two articles for the front page and nobody remembers.

But you gently caress one horse...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

No offense, a lot of your stuff is pretty great, I just find myself disagreeing with points you make somewhat often.

You're a cool dude in my book :glomp: and you can gently caress as many horses as you want as far as I'm concerned

Thanks. I won't let you down!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ibogaine posted:

How did INRI find out anyway? Was he hiding behind some haystacks in the barn, or were you at it on your lawn or something as he drove by?

Anyway, I think you're a cool guy and INRI should really stop doxxing you like this.

INRI...

Was the horse.

I promised I'd call him but I never did.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

i could agree if the first few posts weren't literally "im gay" or "kill yourself op" over and over

We're not allowed to ask the OP to kill himself anymore.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

GBS as a whole was pretty badly triggered by the mods implementing the "don't tell people to kill themselves" rule

It's a stupid rule imo. Smythe implemented it because, and I quote he "didn't want the bodies piling up on his watch."

Not a single goon has ever killed themselves as a result of someone posting "kill yourself, OP." It's silly.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

Even if they did, it wasn't the goon who said it, who metaphorically, pulled the trigger.

Now all that being said, it has made possible all the jokes skirting the boundaries of the rule, which are funnier than just telling the OP to kill themself.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Atma posted:

Gamify GBS.

Make it so that if you do a good effort post, mods reward you with some kind of SA forum currency. We can call them "doobies" for now.

Earn X doobies and be allowed to change the avatar of another user or give someone a title. Things you can already do for real money, but instead using the currency of the internet.

Other things you can do with doobies:

Spend X to change an entire thread's background.
Spend X to sticky a thread for Y days.
Spend X to give a thread a special banner.

Or not. I dunno, I'm reading this thread and eating macaroni and cheese.

I'm gunning for your doobies, Atma.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a loving stupid thing to post that doesn't contribute poo poo, and if you think it's funny or useful or interesting maybe just go ahead and don't post anymore.

>: (

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Well *I* like GBS.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Eonwe posted:

GBS is fine, but you can go in literally any thread and its the same posts, because the first page is just people trying to lay down the sickest burn

Weird my GBS must be broken...
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788647

I keep going into threads and not only are all of them different...
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787621

But so far I can't seem to find one where the entire first page is just people trying to lay the sickest burns
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788548

In fact, almost all of these threads
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788467

Even the lower content ones
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788656

Seem to feature lively, friendly discussion from the very first post?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788593

Oh wait, here's one where someone lays some sick burns on the OP... but for some reason they don't take up the whole first page, and in fact only comprise a sparse handful of posts.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788569

Weird.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

i sort of have a hard time with people objecting to first page poo poo posts because good threads will always succeed and the wheat will separate from the chaff, regardless. having a moratorium on the 'kill yourself op's doesnt help good threads succeed, which they generally invariably do

Also, as I sort of feel like I just demonstrated, the whole "first page of every thread is lost to shitposts" seems to be kind of a myth?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Yeah that's the other thing, sick burns are hilarious and one of the things I look forward to in new threads. It's kind of like the overture before the symphony. Or the tuning up period that is not music, per-se, but pleasingly melodic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

i've never seen a good poster complain about shitposts

Me neither actually?

• Locked thread