Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm on 6 minute quarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

RBX posted:

I'm on 6 minute quarters.

Uhhh I would consider it very unusual to hit 100 points in 6 minute quarters, unless you mean for both teams combined.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I play 8 min quarters on superstar and teams generally score in the high 70s to high 80s, very occasionally hit 100 if one team shoots super well from three or plays garbage defense. No way you should expect to hit 100 on six min quarters.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, I usually play 7s and score in the 70s or even 60s. I think this year the CPU is a little more likely to use more clock, and I feel like on all-star I don't get the occasional "ONE TEAM SHOOTS 80% FROM THE FLOOR" like I would now and then on previous versions. Otherwise I'd say I'm scoring about the same.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
So what's the deal with Justice? I'm on the Sixers and he's shooting 78% from 3 on the season.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Justice is your auto superstar 90 rating rookie partner.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Emery posted:

So what's the deal with Justice? I'm on the Sixers and he's shooting 78% from 3 on the season.

He is there, game mechanic wise, so you can use the "Orange Juice" feature of the game. You might not have noticed or even read about it in game, for some reason 2k did a fantastic job of making sure you have absolutely no clue what it was or that it even existed.

You might notice that whenever Justice gets an assist from you scoring or vice versa that the circle around you will light up. If you do three plays that result in one of you helping the other, they don't have to be in a row or within a certain amount of time, then the Orange Juice meter activates. You'll know when it activates because you and Justice will be connected by a orange line. Once the mode activates you can issue commands via the D Pad to Justice. Also you can completely take control of Justice while the AI controls your character. Some people like it because it takes out some of the more annoying points of the game like when you pass to a three shooter who is wide open and he passes the ball instead of shooting.

Personally I'm not a big fan of it, it feels kind of clunky to me and it's just weird switching between players in a MyCareer game. Either way though, it's there for you to use or not use. I've read that if you get it down and get comfortable with it you can dominate.

Other than that Justice is just their most recent celebrity grab. Jay Z with the bad soundtrack, Spike Lee with the terrible career story and now Michael Jordan, Mr. Creed him self, with a tolerable side kick character.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I do like the idea of doing myCareer with a "cast" around you, it makes it more interesting even if your team ends up being ridiculously stacked. As far as storymodes go its pretty good.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012

Gordong Dongbay posted:

He is there, game mechanic wise, so you can use the "Orange Juice" feature of the game. You might not have noticed or even read about it in game, for some reason 2k did a fantastic job of making sure you have absolutely no clue what it was or that it even existed.

Yeah for whatever reason it just started happening with no explanation, I feel like I missed a few cutscenes with Justice somewhere along the line. I thought he was just there to hit a crazy amount of threes for no reason since starting a new character in MyCareer as a 50 something overall is horrendous and they wanted you to have some way to feel like you were adding to the game at that point. I mean seriously, dude knocks down a little more than 3/4ths of his shots, it's nuts. He's leading the league in FG% and 3pt% coming off the bench right now.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I like that in OJ mode you can take control of Justice and then run pick and roll with your player as the roller. The AI on it's own doesn't run PnRs very well at all otherwise.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Turns out it was a mixture of being really bad and being the Nets.

Anyone ever go into the character editor to change a player's position? Does the AI ever do this? (I haven't seen it, personally)

Like, if I have a stock of point guards on my team, and I see that one of them is actually somehow higher rated if he's a small forward, it seems like I ought to go into the character editor and make him into one. Same if the league goes into a weird state where, say, you might get a dearth of really good power forwards or whatever.

Character progression in general seems... less so? than previous games. I've gotten my generic Point Guard up to 80ish rating, but his sole "badge" remains "Friendly", which I'm not even sure what it does, to be honest. I know there's a system now where you can download the training schedules other people have come up with..... do you have to train a certain way relentlessly if you want badges, micromanaging training rather than "by position/type"? Can you change positions through training without going into the character editor?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Whatever rear end in a top hat made the "Player is concerned with practices being too heavy/light" system needs to be fired. It's just completely broken. You make the promise, immediately change the player's training to the way they want it, even if you max it out and they'll say you broke the promise. You literally cannot keep the promise. Nothing works. Upping/lowering the individual player, upping/lowering team practices, nothing. You can only deny and coddle or deny and tough love. Your options are slow or fast attrition of player loyalty and that's a bullshit, easy-to-discover bug that has no business being in this game at this stage of its release.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea i fuckin hate that request and just started ignoring it

In other news Lebron is garbage in this game and is almost completely unusable in MyTeam

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
So far I'm having more fun in a second playthrough of MyCareer as a Glass Cleaner PF than I ever had as a Shot Creator PG.

badges are hard work though.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Whatever rear end in a top hat made the "Player is concerned with practices being too heavy/light" system needs to be fired. It's just completely broken. You make the promise, immediately change the player's training to the way they want it, even if you max it out and they'll say you broke the promise. You literally cannot keep the promise. Nothing works. Upping/lowering the individual player, upping/lowering team practices, nothing. You can only deny and coddle or deny and tough love. Your options are slow or fast attrition of player loyalty and that's a bullshit, easy-to-discover bug that has no business being in this game at this stage of its release.

If you progress forward a day after you talk to them it seems to help. I started ignoring those too though. Still really wish there was a "Listen. A super star is at your position. You aren't going to start over them. You are coming off the bench." option.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MyLeague is much better than myGM. You have none of that stuff.

So this week's myTeam challenge has "Get 12 rebounds in this game. You start in the 4th quarter, and it's 6 minute quarter". The oppposing team only took 11 shots. It's ridiculous, I only got like 5 rebounds in my playthrough.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Veryslightlymad posted:

It really is remarkable. Who is asking for non-consequential poo poo to slow down the game? There's no way the makers of 2k play anything besides MyTeam and MyPark, and even then id be surprised.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Lockback posted:

MyLeague is much better than myGM. You have none of that stuff.

So this week's myTeam challenge has "Get 12 rebounds in this game. You start in the 4th quarter, and it's 6 minute quarter". The oppposing team only took 11 shots. It's ridiculous, I only got like 5 rebounds in my playthrough.

Just did it this morning. Key is giving them enough room to take a bad shot and taking the quickest shot possible on your end. Ended up with about 15.

The blocks challenge a few weeks ago i found fuckin impossible though

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

Yea i fuckin hate that request and just started ignoring it

In other news Lebron is garbage in this game and is almost completely unusable in MyTeam

Noticed this. Just got him and was pretty excited and he's complete trash.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Seriously it's frustrating because on one hand its holy poo poo Lebron on my team looks intimidating as hell oh but he can't shoot and finishes weaker than the emerald Jay Williams im replacing with him

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I've just been chipping away at mycareer (probably the longest I've been in my 1st year, thanks unskippable cutscenes). What's the major difference between myleague and mygm if I just want manage my team that will eventually have a billion stars thanks to inflated 1st rounder?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k/nba-2k17-patch-105-notes/10153966437972267

quote:

The NBA 2K17 Patch Update v5 has been released on PS4 (coming soon to XB1 & PC).
Among the changes include:
GENERAL
HDR support has been added for the PS4.
Support for the PS4 Pro has been added. NBA 2K17 will run at a native 4K resolution at 60 FPS on the Pro.
The Cleveland Cavaliers court floor has been updated to match their new 2016-17 design.
The Golden State Warriors uniforms now have the #42 patch in honor of the late Nate Thurmond.
Authenticity improvements to a large number of uniforms.
You can now use post-release uniforms in Play Now games when using a custom roster.
Post-release shoes will now dynamically appear in your game mode saves when starting a new mode or when using a custom roster created after October 15th.
Users now have the ability to toggle off the ‘Zoom in Paint’ camera option when using the default broadcast camera.
Fixed an issue where the user was unable to unequip certain animation types from their MyPLAYER.
The user can now unequip socks from their MyPLAYER.
Addressed an issue where controller settings would reset after played games online.
GAMEPLAY
Users will no longer be able to prolong MyTEAM Blacktop games by committing reach-in fouls.
The Jamal Crawford double behind-the-back combo size-up move now functions properly when equipped.
Aiming should now be much easier in the broadcast camera for users who use Pro Stick shot aiming.
Disabled shot timing for all shots (including layups, hooks, floaters and heaves) when Shooting Type is set to Real Player %.
Improvements to make catching short passes more reliable.
Dial back pass speeds (especially on longer passes) to achieve better game balance.
“Soften” top front rim ball bounces for more realistic physics-based outcomes.
Reduced the frequency of “ticky tack” shooting fouls on jump shots and layups.
Fixed illegal screens, which were not being triggered in the proper situations.
General improvements to responsiveness, primarily in offball motion.
Improvements to the CPU’s double team logic and general defensive AI decision making.
Addressed a visual issue that would sometimes cause hook shots to branch into jumpshot follow through landing poses.
MyPARK/2K PRO-AM
Teams in Rivet City are again able to grab a Got Next spot while a game is in progress.
Fixed a hang that occurred to some users when they were hopping from one MyPARK to another.
Fixed a number of camera-related issues when shooting free throws during Pro-Am games.
Addressed an issue where some users were unable to use their custom jumpshot in MyPARK.
When editing your Pro-Am court, the backboard logo and wall texture can now be switched back to none/blank.
You can now view the team rosters of each team directly from the Power Rankings menu in Pro-Am.
All of your teammates will now have a unique color indicator when playing Pro-Am.
Grand Badges will now appear on the 2K Card in both MyPARK and Pro-Am.
MyCAREER/MyCOURT
You can now skip through story scenes that you have already watched.
Fixed an issue that would result in the user being unable to play their next game in MyCAREER (a restart is required if you are affected by this).
Fixed a case where some users were not seeing triggered story scenes.
Fixed an issue where some MyCAREER sponsor contracts were not rewarding the user with the correct amount of VC.
Corrected an issue where you could not purchase/equip shoes from your new company when switching shoe endorsements.
Addressed an issue where the phone in MyCAREER would inform the user of a new message when that was not the case.
Fixed a case where the player would get stuck in the line during the Free Throw Golf drill in Live Practice when using specific signature animations.
MyGM/MyLEAGUE
Points of Emphasis have returned to the Gameplan feature! Note that these only affect simulation results.
The Advanced Rotations feature will now scale all rotations to work regardless of your chosen quarter length.
Fixed cases where some approved city names (e.g. Buffalo) were not being permitted through the content filter when moving your team to another city.
Fixed an issue where player attributes were being slightly modified when loading a draft class after the first season.
Injuries will now occur during head-to-head gameplay in MyLEAGUE Online.
Color improvements have been made to the Kansas City Knights uniform.
Fixed a hang that would occur when attempting to use SimCast on the Rising Stars game.
Expansion teams will no longer get unlimited funds in MyGM.
The NBA logo is now located in the correct spot on the shorts when creating a custom uniform.
Many other small bug fixes and adjustments were also made, game-wide. NOTE: All patch fixes will work in your existing game mode saves unless noted otherwise.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Nice. I like just about all those. Hopefully there are now actual consequences to reach in fouls on black court

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Just played a proam. One guy delightfully took a billion deep threes so I was able to rebound. Not a single one bounced up and over.

As well, break starting is now adjusted, so your really need to have a clear lane on break starting. The ball doesn't fly outlandishly quick anymore.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Looking at this, and I'm terrified that it'll be like 2k15 where anytime I hit the screen button my teammate would needlessly shoulder check a dude and commit an offensive foul.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Was hoping something in the patch plus time away would lead to me finally completing historic domination.

nah

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

I've just been chipping away at mycareer (probably the longest I've been in my 1st year, thanks unskippable cutscenes). What's the major difference between myleague and mygm if I just want manage my team that will eventually have a billion stars thanks to inflated 1st rounder?

myGM has goals for every year that is pretty nice, but it also has stuff where players will come to you with demands that is pretty poorly implemented. In past years you could spend VC to force bad trades through or make players happier, but I always thought that was super dumb and kinda broke the game for me.

myLeague is basically franchise mode. Trades, finances, player mood, draft, etc is all in the game. But it removes some between-game interactions you have with players or the GM that were pretty much all bad.

Play myLeague.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
You fuckers couldve told me spamming post moves was how to beat historic domination :mad:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You fuckers couldve told me spamming post moves was how to beat historic domination :mad:

Well they patched it out last year, I didn't know they unpatched it again.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Waiting for the first sale to buy this year's version but if that's true, play as a Wilt team and go wild.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I read they patched it this year as well but I never used post moves in the past so I couldnt tell you if its unpatched. I basically just used a combo of Greg Monroe, Rookie Garnett, and KAT to get Kareem and Shaq in foul trouble

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well, I don't know what post moves you're using. The thing that was patched last year was literally pressing the go-into post button for a split second before every lay-up, so you get that bonus post points for nothing.

Also they patched out spin moves basically giving i-frames which was lame.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
My """"post moves""" are back in shot fake shot fake shot fake oh poo poo he jumped *foul or dunk*

Actually yea i do know what you mean and that is patched out. Completely forgot that was a thing for a while

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think the simulator actually tries to make your players have bad games so their stats normalize to their expected levels for the season, but I can't prove it.

Like, I have 82 game seasons turned on, and I sim most of them, but I play maybe 1 in 5 or 1 in 10. And I have Rudy Gobert on my team, and he's stupidly broken inside with his giant arms. Pretty much every game I play with him is like, a 25/25 game.

Then at season end I'll look at his personal stats and he's still his usual 10 and 12 self. Clearly the way I play and the way my assistant coach play is wildly different.

EDIT

On a fun note, what is the best name you've seen the game generate? My current favorites are "Diamond Flowers" and "Ed Hunter"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm pretty sure the game just estimates a single game performance based on their stats, not based on how you play at all. Since they probably made sure most estimates for these players were pretty close to reality, I'd expect simulated games they'd perform pretty close to their "real" seasons stats. If you are playing somewhere between 10 and 20% of the games, your outlier games probably aren't enough to move the needle a ton.

You also might be playing "good" players more minutes and the CPU is playing them less to give them rest from your games.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I saw a tweet that Nash is getting added to classic teams. Might be picking this up sooner than later now. What plays the most different compared to 16?

RockNRoll Jesus
Jan 3, 2008

FIND YOUR GOD FUCKING FLASH DRIVE

Spacebump posted:

I saw a tweet that Nash is getting added to classic teams. Might be picking this up sooner than later now. What plays the most different compared to 16?

Steals. You can now actually steal the ball without either fouling or going rigid while the other player picks it back up. That has a lot to do with the revamped ball physics. It's a lot of fun watching someone you are not guarding trying to drive past you, and just sticking your arm in there to see what happens.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shooters generally try to actually run to the 3 point line now, the downside is that this sometimes means a step back 3 wide open because they aren't programmed to back away any other way.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Id say steals and blocks are much better now. You really notice the ball physics. Sometimes it does lead to bullshit blocks when the other person jumps early and jump before theyre completely back on the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Tae posted:

Shooters generally try to actually run to the 3 point line now, the downside is that this sometimes means a step back 3 wide open because they aren't programmed to back away any other way.

They've fixed the preponderance of foot on the line 2s from previous versions for players you are controlling though, which is great. Last year you couldn't really adjust if you were just on the line just a slight movement on the stick would put you two feet behind it, now if you are close just as you receive the ball your player shuffles his feet to get behind it more often than not.

• Locked thread